Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anybody seen any Lego items on the U.S. show "Toy Hunter"?

2»

Comments

• NintendawgNintendawg Member Posts: 18
    That pile of 1980's yellow boxes looks really nice.
    I would be jealous if I didn't know it was all staged. I wonder if they will turn out to be sealed? If they all were, and in the nice condition they appear to be that may stretch the implausibility of it to breaking point.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    it was just on. Below will be the details so those not interested look away:

Jordan just paid 275 for the following sets(opened and used but it MINT boxes) and said he could flip for 500:

There's an xt starship with light and sound, blacktron renegade , alien moon stalker, 6972, and a 6080 kings castle
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Watching it right now.
    The problem is he said Legos!!! The horror.
    The Kings Castle box looked a little beat up. Definitely not mint or even near mint. The other sets were OK, nothing to go crazy over. I was hoping for a Monorail :)
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    He said the sets were from the 70's but clearly were from the 80's. Funny thing is that the guy that he bought from lives about 30 miles from me and has bought from me in the past.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    wagnerml2 said:

He said the sets were from the 70's but clearly were from the 80's. Funny thing is that the guy that he bought from lives about 30 miles from me and has bought from me in the past.

LOL Toy 'expert' indeed....
    I laughed when I heard him say they were from the 70's, which really puts into question how much he really knows.
    Also I think he said the Light and Sound spacecraft is 200 dollars in box?!
    MAYBE if it was MISB, but it appears there were all opened.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    I wish this guy would shut up about looking for 80's toys when they're right there in front of him. I mean the Karate Kid is about as 80's as it gets. The host is more of a personality than an expert. I question if this shows has any merit at all. I also have a hard time believing that these people he's buying from are not experts at selling on ebay.
    madforLEGO
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited May 2013
    The Toy Hunter is a fraud... I could tear that show up... XD
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    Toy Hunter is'nt a bad show, it's more entertaining than 90% of the other crap that is on TV. Ok, granted it is staged, but it is cool seeing all the old toys we grew up with.....or wish we grew up with lol. I met Jorden at SW CVI, he seemed like a really friendly guy and we had a nice, but brief chat.

We like watching American Pickers too, and have had the pleasure of visiting both store locations, although we have yet to meet any of the cast. Also been to the Pawn Stars store too, but again the same...no cast was there. We found and went to the toy store, whose owner appears on PS for toy related pawns, but he was not working the day we were in the store. My wife is a avid Barbie collector and she was schooling the staff on Barbie history, to which they offered her a job lol.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Toy Hunter may be entertaining, but it seems to me he relies on his local area for prices rather than checking prices throughout the country. His enthusiasm can be a bit childish at times. In spite of these negatives it is cool to see what others collect.
    edited May 2013

Toy Hunter is'nt a bad show, it's more entertaining than 90% of the other crap that is on TV. Ok, granted it is staged, but it is cool seeing all the old toys we grew up with.....or wish we grew up with lol. I met Jorden at SW CVI, he seemed like a really friendly guy and we had a nice, but brief chat.

I enjoy seeing the old toys, but Jordan is a little over the top. I know they want him to be like that because it's probably appealing to non-toy collectors. Also the whole reselling thing is huge right now so it just goes with the trend.

I would like a show where the collectors can geek out a bit more. Something like a round table where four or five collectors bring pieces from their personal collection and just talk and show off the toys. At the end they could maybe have a barter and trade session to spice things up.
  • SteakyBoySteakyBoy Member Posts: 16
    I went to the Toy Hunter's question/answer session at NY ComiCon back in October. Audience asked him about Legos and he said he was planning on doing an episdoe. Frankly, after reading these forums and another site's forums, I think he will be far from the expert about Legos. Not to mention you could do a whole season worth of shows on Legos alone. One last point, price point for Legos. The values on some of these sets sometimes dwarfs the toys he gets excited over for a $25 profit. My two cents.
  • BrickEnvyBrickEnvy Member Posts: 23
    Just a quick comment on the subject here.

Jordan was setup right across from my company at the 2012 Star Wars Celebration convention in Florida. It was the first time I had met him but my business partner has known him for 20+ years. Jordan is a really nice guy and does know a good amount about some toys but, from the conversations I had with him during the week we were at Celebration, I can tell you that knows next to nothing at all about LEGO. One of his comments to me directly was something to the effect of, "Is there really money in LEGO?". He was mainly at the convention to sell his t-shirts and such. They were suppose to film an episode of Toy Hunter at Celebration but at the last minute Lucas pulled the plug on the entire thing and wouldn't allow any filming to be done by his crew.

As far as his show goes, I have watched it from time to time but find myself getting overly frustrated at the prices he says a lot of items are "valued" at and the prices he pays. I have bought and sold a good amount of what is on his show and I can tell you that I have always gotten more than his qouted values, up to 20 times more. I tend to think that much like all of the other shows on TV these days, this is just another scripted attempt to get people interested in new markets. All in all its a fun show but I would not take anything that is qouted on there seriously when it comes to values on any given item.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    edited May 2013
    SteakyBoy said:

I went to the Toy Hunter's question/answer session at NY ComiCon back in October. Audience asked him about Legos and he said he was planning on doing an episdoe. Frankly, after reading these forums and another site's forums, I think he will be far from the expert about Legos. Not to mention you could do a whole season worth of shows on Legos alone. One last point, price point for Legos. The values on some of these sets sometimes dwarfs the toys he gets excited over for a $25 profit. My two cents.

Nevermind the fact it is LEGO, not 'legos' ;-)

I can see him excited over doubling his money.. remember, he is not selling only that item on eBay, he has stores that he has to fill, so I can see that it appears small but it adds up. Then again most of the prices he really seems off about either too high or way to low. Again he just seems a bit.. 'too much' to me and the fact that he was lamenting he needed 80's toys when he had five sets of LEGO that are all from the 80's sitting in his vehicle (to whcih he said they were from the 70's).
    I guess all is Ok as long as he does not call mega blocks 'LEGO'
    mathew said:

I enjoy seeing the old toys, but Jordan is a little over the top. I know they want him to be like that because it's probably appealing to non-toy collectors. Also the whole reselling thing is huge right now so it just goes with the trend.

I would like a show where the collectors can geek out a bit more. Something like a round table where four or five collectors bring pieces from their personal collection and just talk and show off the toys. At the end they could maybe have a barter and trade session to spice things up.
    They have a show similar to what you are referring to called Comic Store Heroes.

^ That's the one with Kevin Smith, right? I watched an episode. Wasn't bad. Better than Toy Hunters.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I thought it was called Comic Book Men? That is a better show.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I like Jordan. he seems a decent fellow. I don't know much about the other toys he buys and sells, but it was interesting to see him talk about something that I seem to know more about than he does. Still love the show.
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    Comic Book Men is a great show!
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 533
    Pitfall69 said:

Who cares. It's an American show aimed at an American audience. Most, if not all Americans say legos. Unless I'm on Lego site I say legos. Criticize us all you want but it's not going to change. I'm very familiar with TLG's argument and understand their point of view, but they lost this fight in the US long before it started.
  • GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    edited May 2013

Who cares. It's an American show aimed at an American audience. Most, if not all Americans say legos. Unless I'm on Lego site I say legos. Criticize us all you want but it's not going to change. I'm very familiar with TLG's argument and understand their point of view, but they lost this fight in the US long before it started.
    Ah, it feels so good to be European and cultivated. LEGO. LEGO, LEGO, LEGO. :P

Pitfall69
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    When I was a kid I said legos. Since I now know better I personally only use LEGO now - LEGO bricks, LEGO sets, etc. That being said, about 95% of people who I discuss LEGO with use legos. I have not the time or energy to try and educate them all - and they couldn't care less anyway.

Pitfall69 said:

I was only half joking. Nobody is criticizing you. He's supposed to be a toy guru and I posted that before @BrickEnvy posted that he admitted he didn't know much about Lego. It is Friday, you should lighten up :)

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I always thought it sounded weird growing up and hearing Americans say "Legos" on TV. Just seems so wrong to say it that way.

Never watched Toy Hunter, sounds as though it may be a bit too "manufactured" for my tastes.
    I was at a Lego show a few years ago in Illinois and there was a group of people(other exhibitors) standing in a circle talking, and one of them said Legos in the plural sense, and then some dork appeared out of left field and interrupted their conversation and said "It is not Legos, it is Lego" and then he just walked away with his chest puffed out like his saved the face of humanity...

I have never seen a grown man correct another grown man in public like this over his grammar... It was both hilarious and pathetic at the same time..

• odshowtimeodshowtime Member Posts: 49
    I enjoy Toy Hunter but Jordan's credibility will be forever wilted with me. All of those sets were from the 80s, some from the late 80s, and he's crying that he has no 80s toys. The values didn't jive either.

Legos are dangerous for a guy like him because you don't know if the sets are complete or not. The guy he bought the 5 sets from gave off a good, organized, vibe so I would have felt comfortable. But Jordan gets mesmerized by a nice box and it could be hiding incomplete sets.
    edited May 2013
    Basta said:

I always thought it sounded weird growing up and hearing Americans say "Legos" on TV. Just seems so wrong to say it that way.

Never watched Toy Hunter, sounds as though it may be a bit too "manufactured" for my tastes.

It is. Like Pawn stars, it is fun to watch for the Nostalgia and to learn about toys, but as far as the whole buying/selling part, it is poorly staged and at times laughable...

Typical example of the show:

Jordan goes to the home of some guy who was a designer for -insert toy company here-, he finds a sealed boxed toy from the 80's in the designers attic, he asks about the toy and the designer tells him that he actually designed it. Jordan then asks if he would be willing to sell it. The designer then says "Oh, I don't know, I designed that toy and it is the only one I have left" Jordan then asks what he would want for it if he would be willing to sell it, and the Designer says "I would need at least $100" Then Jordan lowballs the designer down to $70 for a piece that is worth 10 times that amount.

Seriously though, what former designer is going to give away a piece of his own history for almost nothing and allow someone else to profit from it..?

I was at a Lego show a few years ago in Illinois and there was a group of people(other exhibitors) standing in a circle talking, and one of them said Legos in the plural sense, and then some dork appeared out of left field and interrupted their conversation and said "It is not Legos, it is Lego" and then he just walked away with his chest puffed out like his saved the face of humanity...

I have never seen a grown man correct another grown man in public like this over his grammar... It was both hilarious and pathetic at the same time..

Sounds like our own professor here on Brickset. Ha, ha...

Typical example of the show:

Jordan goes to the home of some guy who was a designer for -insert toy company here-, he finds a sealed boxed toy from the 80's in the designers attic, he asks about the toy and the designer tells him that he actually designed it. Jordan then asks if he would be willing to sell it. The designer then says "Oh, I don't know, I designed that toy and it is the only one I have left" Jordan then asks what he would want for it if he would be willing to sell it, and the Designer says "I would need at least $100" Then Jordan lowballs the designer down to $70 for a piece that is worth 10 times that amount.

Seriously though, what former designer is going to give away a piece of his own history for almost nothing and allow someone else to profit from it..?

Yeah, Jordan reminds me of those bozos from Storage Wars.
    mathew said:

Sounds like our own professor here on Brickset. Ha, ha...
    I can see to a point of getting people straight online on what Lego wants it's product to be called, but to walk up to a group of strangers that are talking amongst themselves and then proceed to correct one of them on their grammar in front of other people is just downright madness...

^I agree.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 533
    edited May 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

Pitfall69 said:

I was only half joking. Nobody is criticizing you. He's supposed to be a toy guru and I posted that before @BrickEnvy posted that he admitted he didn't know much about Lego. It is Friday, you should lighten up :)

No worries. It was just a general comment on the use of the term legos. I wasn't trying to come across overly harsh or critical of you either. Sorry if it sounded that way.

^Everything is cool man.
    You know who i would like to see get his own Toy Show..? Johnny Jimenez, the guy from Pawn Stars... He just seems to be a likable feller... A few years back he was accused of threatening to kill some woman who stole $1,000 from him...
    I saw the recent Toy Hunter which took place at Birmingham, UK. Are American toys that sought after "across the pond"?
    A recent episode of Toy Hunters was filmed less than five miles from where I live. Jordan and his goofy bald buddy visited a local Toy show at the Machinists Hall. I missed the show not even thinking much of it but it would have been fun to see them filming.
  • legonickblegonickb Brighton, UKMember Posts: 57
    Is Toy Hunter shown in the UK? If so does anyone know what channel it is on? Thanks
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 690
    No, don't believe we have it in the UK.

However, there's a programme called "Collectaholics" which showcases collections (antiques, pottery, artwork etc.) and tonight - Wednesday 2nd April at 8pm on BBC 2 - one of the guys featured has a phenomenal Star Wars collection, including, naturally, Lego. It's just a part of the show (so don't expect a 60-minute SW geekgasm), but should be interesting.
  • BuzzsawBuzzsaw UKMember Posts: 79
    ^ Just been watching this, not bad. I wanted that clone trooper - until the price started to go up!
    One of the recent episodes of Toy Hunter tookplace in Detroit, Michigan. Even though they didn't focus on Lego , they zoomed in on some Star Wars Lego sets that were built and on display.

The guy in taking a picture of the Fox Theatre where my wife and I got married. I thought that was awesome.
  • legofanfromleedslegofanfromleeds legoland...England Member Posts: 396
    legonickb said:

Is Toy Hunter shown in the UK? If so does anyone know what channel it is on? Thanks

The first series was shown in the uk last year...im sure it was on quest freeview ch38
  • legofanfromleedslegofanfromleeds legoland...England Member Posts: 396

No, don't believe we have it in the UK.

However, there's a programme called "Collectaholics" which showcases collections (antiques, pottery, artwork etc.) and tonight - Wednesday 2nd April at 8pm on BBC 2 - one of the guys featured has a phenomenal Star Wars collection, including, naturally, Lego. It's just a part of the show (so don't expect a 60-minute SW geekgasm), but should be interesting.

Its been repeated today (Saturday) on bbc2 @ 5.45 pm

I'm watching a Toy Hunter episode now which features Lego space sets. It must be a fairly new episode because he mentioned the Lego Movie and the sequel.

Are these sets worth $400?
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 80
    In my unprofessional opinion, 4 fairly large, late 70's/early 80's space sets in sealed boxes could probably fetch that pretty easily. Maybe even if the boxes are open. Just depends on the buyer...and the day :)
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I think the boxes alone in good shape are worth $400.

edited April 2014
    Ok, these were played with sets and the boxes are not mint.

Without close inspection, I wouldn't know the condition of the pieces, but a lot of my Classic Space sets had yellowed pieces and nicks from taking them apart with my teeth :)
    I'm glad they are putting more Lego into their shows, but I want to see Lego as the featured toy and see people's collections.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I want to see the Toy Hunter try to low ball an AFOL.
    chuckpemmtwosixRainstorm26