Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    They also offered a free UCS Imperial Star Destroyer with a Galidor purchase, back in '02. Same results. Hee hee.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^That's funny. I didn't get my 2 Hans, so I called customer service and they mailed out my 2 Hans and guess what...another Chima speedorz. Geez.
    indigobox
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    So if I call customer service and tell them I didn’t get my free speedorz with my order will they send me the free speedorz with a free speedorz. :P
    sidersddPitfall69Farmer_John
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^I looks like it. I wonder if that would happen?
  • juggles7juggles7 United StatesMember Posts: 452
    You rock, LegoManiacc. Hilarious.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    You know its bad when LEGO calls LFT and tells him he can order as many Speedorz as he wants.
    berniebond
    Chima is Lego's Windows 8. Keep it going!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Thanos75 said:

You know its bad when LEGO calls LFT and tells him he can order as many Speedorz as he wants.

Actually, don't joke, take a look at what arrived today in the mail.

I kid you not, a bubble envelope from [email protected], all that was in it was what you see here.

Go figure...
    BrickDancerBumblepantsThanos75
    *image attached*
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    We should send them all back, Thanks but no thanks.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,011
    I think the Speedorz sets are the ones having trouble. You look at that package and can't help but say $15/20 for this?!? No thanks. Would have been better off with the $10 price point of the Ninjago Spinners. Much more palatable for an entry-level set.

The regular system style Chima sets seem to be well designed and selling well. I noticed yesterday the new Equilla's Ultra Striker #70013 was backordered for 30 days on [email protected] I think quite a few of the larger Chima sets will be big sellers come Christmas and the Speedorz will languish and have to be marked down to a more reasonable $7-10 before they sell well.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013

Thanos75 said:

I kid you not, a bubble envelope from [email protected], all that was in it was what you see here.

Go figure...
    So they haven't sent you a severed horses head yet (one of the new Lego LOTR ones of course)?

So they haven't sent you a severed horses head yet (one of the new Lego LOTR ones of course)?

:) Nope, not yet... But I'll take my red doodad, thank you very much! :)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    The Speedorz freebie will make up for not being able to purchase $50k in exclusive / hard to find items.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    Wow. That is pretty interesting that they ban your account and then send you a speedorz. I wonder if someone there that knew you were band just wanted to put the icing on the cake. "Hey sorry you're banned (*snicker*) but I just wanted to send you this POS we can't give away enough of"
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,841

Thanos75 said:

Go figure...
    Have you checked it for bugs?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404

Fire Brigade is supposed to retire at the end of this year, but Tower Bridge is scheduled to be here until the end of 2014.

However, keep in mind that no matter what a list or source says today, TLG can always change it.

If TLG continues to sell Legends of Chima, then it is likely the DS and Fire Brigade will be around into 2014. They have to drive their bottom line somehow... ;-)
    dragonhawkLegoFanTexasFollowsClosely
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited May 2013

*image attached*

It's your parting gift... (aka...don't go away sad, just go away)...from TLG. ;-)
    LegoFanTexasindigobox
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Did it contain a note? Something along the lines of "try and resell this!"
    pmercikdragonhawkLegoFanTexasPenkid11berniebond
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322

*image attached*

You are 1 step ahead of me LFT. ;O)
    LegoFanTexas
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67
    Is it possible to just have one thread where we talk about LFT being banned from [email protected]?
    Lootefisk said:

Is it possible to just have one thread where we talk about LFT being banned from [email protected]?

The cloud of the darkside has fallen, begun, the LEGO Wars have...
    Penkid11FollowsClosely
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205

Lootefisk said:

Survive you will.

Lootefisk said:

Survive you will.
    Into exile, I must go. Failed, I have.
    FollowsClosely
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633

Lootefisk said:

Survive you will.
    OT: I never understood how getting bump by a few senator pods stopped Yoda from pursuing Sidious. It looked like Yoda just gave up and fled even though they were evenly matched.

Kanohi
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

OT: I never understood how getting bump by a few senator pods stopped Yoda from pursuing Sidious. It looked like Yoda just gave up and fled even though they were evenly matched.

Every time I watch that scene I think the same thing. Honestly, I'd say it seemed to me like Yoda even had a slight edge on Sidious, but like you say ti was pretty even. Why did he just quit like that? Was he completely out of "force" energy? Did he sense he was overmatched and couldn't win? Was it just an easy convenient way for GL to achieve the ending that he was forced to have?

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

Lootefisk said:

Survive you will.

This. Or why Anakin felt the need to try and leap over Obi-Wan to begin with. Or why Obi-Wan felt having the high ground was such an advantage since it obviously worked so well for Darth Maul. Or why Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't just team up on Palpatine while Anakin was off murdering Nute Gunray and friends...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,175
    y2josh said:

Lootefisk said:

Survive you will.

This. Or why Anakin felt the need to try and leap over Obi-Wan to begin with. Or why Obi-Wan felt having the high ground was such an advantage since it obviously worked so well for Darth Maul. Or why Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't just team up on Palpatine while Anakin was off murdering Nute Gunray and friends...

...'Cause that worked so well against Dooku.
    I think it is because Yodi knew that Obi-Wan does not work well with others. Plus with the Yoda goes all 'spider monkey' in his fights, and I think he would be afraid of hitting Obi-Wan.
    dougts said:

Was it just an easy convenient way for GL to achieve the ending that he was forced to have?

Right there. You basically just summarized episode 1-3 :D
    ^^ I think Yoda probably felt that Obi-Wan needed to confront Anakin for two reasons: 1) If anyone could have reached Anakin to help him back to the light it would've been Obi-Wan and 2) If there was nothing that could be done for Anakin he probably felt Obi-Wan had to experience it himself in order for him to be able to cope with the end result.
    You have to go back further...

The Jedi never bothered to ask the clones directly what their orders and programming was if asked to turn against the Jedi. They just took the clones for granted, clearly that was stupid.

When Anakin told Mace who the Sith Lord was, Mace then proceeded directly to Sidious without calling Yoda and Obi-Wan first. He just said a few pointless words to Anakin and left him there.

For that matter, how did Sidous so easily defeat 3 Jedi Masters, then have a really hard time with Mace and really lose to him, until Anakin intervened?

Mace should have called Yoda and Obi-Wan and said, "hey, I'm about to go face the big bad Sith Lord, a little help here?

Also, at no point did the Jedi ever figure out that the entire war was fake, the whole thing was rigged for one reason and one reason only. Sidious had to get millions of clones that would obey him spread among all the Jedi, then he had to get the Jedi spread out around the Galaxy so they would be in groups of 1 to 2 in one place, then he needed to strike them all at once.

The war was just a distraction and had no real purpose, the droids were never going to win and it has been clearly established in the books that the droids were never built in the numbers that were claimed, just enough were built to be the "big scary threat".

It is of course a political commentary on governments using a big scary threat to do whatever they want and the people allowing them to in the name of safety and security.
    DougoutGothamConstructionCo
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

When Anakin told Mace who the Sith Lord was, Mace then proceeded directly to Sidious without calling Yoda and Obi-Wan first. He just said a few pointless words to Anakin and left him there.

yeah, and why would he just leave him there? here's a very powerful, very unstable Jedi who has clearly been betraying the Jedi order with a Sith Lord. And you just walk off and leave him there so you can go try to arrest said Sith Lord, grabbing a few other Jedi's as you go? Wouldn't you drop him off at a detention cell first or something? Palpatine wasn't exactly about to go jump in a shuttle and run off...you had time.

It all of course comes down to lazy and extremely contrived writing...

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

For that matter, how did Sidous so easily defeat 3 Jedi Masters, then have a really hard time with Mace and really lose to him, until Anakin intervened?

The other three weren't Samuel L. Jackson in disguise.
    dragonhawkDougout
    ^ No but one was Kit Fisto and from some of the previous stories with him it wasn't like he was a nobody. Sith lord or not, I don't think any Jedi Master would be taken out by a single attack the way those 3 were.
    ^ Yep...

4 Jedi Masters against a Sith Lord, should have been an epic battle to end all battles...

Would have made more sense if Vader had been there, if it could have been setup so he turned half way through the movie, then he could have had his first battle helping take out the Masters, would have made more sense in how they lost.

The end battle with the 6 of them could easily run 15 minutes and would have been epic, done by anyone but George Lucas...
    Dougout

^ Yep...

4 Jedi Masters against a Sith Lord, should have been an epic battle to end all battles...

Would have made more sense if Vader had been there, if it could have been setup so he turned half way through the movie, then he could have had his first battle helping take out the Masters, would have made more sense in how they lost.

The end battle with the 6 of them could easily run 15 minutes and would have been epic, done by anyone but George Lucas...

Exactly, they could have had this mysterious guy in Vader-light black garment and black helmet killing jedis throughout the movie, maybe even briefly fight Anakin (one of them was a hologram). Anakin was practically a Sith when he killed Tyrannus anyway. Then the reveal in Palpatine's chamber. In this scenario, I could have even bought all 4 jedi masters killed in 1 move due to shock.
    Similar ending, but now we saw Vader first needed the suit to kill, now he needed it to live.
    FollowsCloselyDougout
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I know nothing about Star Wars so will go back to something I have a little experience with. Chima.

I think the Chima stuff is pretty good myself and so does my four year old who likes the speedorz, even though I know a lot of you slate or loathe it.

Maybe LEGO sent you all a Chima to get your children hooked onto them to increase sales.

My little guy got introduced to Chima at the LEGO store. He stood patiently, which for a 4 year old in a LEGO store is pretty challenging and waited for his turn. The lady helped him out first time and then he was off, sending it down the speedorz table like a veteran. Now he has most of the sets and we have regular family time playing Chima Championships.

One thing I have noticed with him being so little is that he doesn't quite have the dexterity to build the older children's sets but he loves pulling the rip cord (I guess that is what it is called) and crashing them as they zoom across either the table or across the laminate floor. His favourite is ring of fire (and not the one after a curry) even though I feel it is the poorest of them.

Will these do well in after market? Who knows. I think they may surprise us.

At the moment though I think once people see the reaction of their little boys and girls faces as they smash and crash the chi, and beat their family and friends to gather the points they may just do ok.

Chima, I give it a thumbs up :)
    LegobutterflyDougout
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2013
    ^True. Gave the free Speedorz to my nephews (4 & 5 yrs old) over the weekend and they sure had fun with it. Just like your kid, the boys loved to pull the rip cord and watch the Speedorz fly off while swerving left and right before hitting a wall. Might be a hit for the youngest audience.

However, instead of Lego or Chima, they preferred to call them Bey Blades?
    Dougout
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    ^ This! I have to say, my boys love star wars and ninjago and city and also chima. And I have to say I think the figures are pretty cool, I know it's not everyones cup of tea but we like it and isn't that really the point? That some people like it, as lets face it not everyone like the same thing and wouldn't it actually be a bit boring if we did? My 2 pennies worth :)
    edited May 2013
    I am waiting to see how Chima will be received after the TV series start in earnest. It is still too early for me to judge if it is going to follow Ninjago's huge footsteps.

One thing that does not help its popularity is probably the price point. As a parent, would you rather spend $15 for an unknown speedorz or $10 on Kai's Fire Mech that is a sure hit. Or, would you spend $5 more and get one of the $20 Ninjago sets, again a sure hit.
    Had they priced the speedorz at $10 (like the spinners were), it would have made it an easier entry point for the whole theme.

The free speedorz is definately an attempt to spark interest in Chima.
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    @dragonhawk we have had over here in the UK Chima discounts. Around £6 to £7.50 for the single speedorz and £9.99 for the double. I don't think they are too badly priced. I also know my little guy will be happy on Sunday as we get a free Chima set at the Leeds opening by showing an email.

@brickdancer interesting name for them :) kids eh?
    ^ The price is not bad until you put them in a shelf next to Ninjago. The parents of the target market (ie. parents of Ninjago fans) will start to compare the 2 themes and price would be one of the deciding factors on which set to get.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Wonder if Ninjago will be clearanced this summer or linger. With the number of releases coming up, I'm thinking it's gotta go completely, resurrection next year or not.
    juggles7Dougout
    Brickarmor, I agree, but think Ninjago be with us through December. Regardless of the claim that it'll be back in 2014, I think 2013 will be the end of Ninjago, including the recent wave we got in January, 2013. If the Lego company continues as in the past, treating this hugely profitable line like a red-headed stepchild, it will go away in December, not to return. They retired many of those wonderful red-boxed sets (look at the aftermarket price on Ice Dragon Attack) too early (while extending the life of that ridiculous Skull Truck for another year!), they cancelled the Spinners, Destiny's Bounty, Tread Assault, and a couple others too early, in my opinion. If the trend continues, the current offerings, Golden Dragon, Fire Mech, and Temple of Light, will be a one-year offering, gone in December, not to return. Just my opinion.
    They will not give us any "Retiring Soon" notice about Ninjago, either. Best I recall, Kai's Blade Cycle was the only Ninjago set we got any warning about. The rest of the line were retired in December without warning. I expect more of the same with this line.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

^True. Gave the free Speedorz to my nephews (4 & 5 yrs old) over the weekend and they sure had fun with it. Just like your kid, the boys loved to pull the rip cord and watch the Speedorz fly off while swerving left and right before hitting a wall. Might be a hit for the youngest audience.

However, instead of Lego or Chima, they preferred to call them Bey Blades?

Wasn't Bey Blades another type of spinner toy that was out a few years ago? Pretty sure I used to have Bey Blades battles with my nephew.
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 931
    What are peoples opinion on the now discontinued 8547 NXT 2.0 Mindstorms set? I've got a few stashed away but it bothers me that the new EV3 will kill their value, should I sell them before the new one comes out or keep hold for a bit and see what happens?
    edited May 2013
    ^I never really considered Mindstorm as collectible. I don't know why, but it seems like something to purchase the latest and greatest of (EV3 in this case). Now if they were EOL'ing Mindstorm altogether, that would be another story...
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 931
    I only had them incase another one didn't come out, I'll just sell them gradually I think