Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mr. Gold hunt thread

Comments

• just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    Okay, five have been found in Florida. Two from eBay- St. Petersburg and Riverview; one on Brickset- ? LEGO store; one on Reddit- Jacksonville. Where is #5?
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,351
    edited May 2013
    @pilotmathew- Maybe this is presumptuous, but I'm going to go ahead and call you out on your "offer" above.

1. You are new to the forums, and just joined two days ago.
    2. You don't think you can find a Mr. Gold and go all day building up your story.
    3. You offer Mr. Gold at a super low price
    4. You attach an image. I see the image and immediately become suspicious. Why? Because I've seen that image before. That image is directly taken from eBay.
    Auction linked provided below:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Minifigures-Mr-Gold-71001-/140965400472?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item20d2314f98

If you are trying to scam people out of their hard earned money, please go elsewhere (aka nowhere).
    CircleK1265Pitfall69yys4ujadeireneSirKevbagsbrickedincoachieBrickDancer
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

Hey guys oh my god i just found one!!!!!!!! My local store just got a huge new shipment i live in jordan btw and i bought half of the minifigs in the box and i got it im selling it for 400 dollars anyone interested inbox please!

I just got notification that a Nigerian prince has left me a sizable inheritance (I know, right?) so I can now take you up on this offer.

Pitfall69NellyHardradaDougout
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 970
    samiam391 said:

@pilotmathew- Maybe this is presumptuous, but I'm going to go ahead and call you out on your "offer" above.

If you are trying to scam people out of their hard earned money, please go elsewhere (aka nowhere).

Nice detective work....truly a scam.

Pitfall69
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    samiam391 said:

1. You are new to the forums, and just joined two days ago.
    2. You don't think you can find a Mr. Gold and go all day building up your story.
    3. You offer Mr. Gold at a super low price
    4. You attach an image. I see the image and immediately become suspicious. Why? Because I've seen that image before. That image is directly taken from eBay.
    Auction linked provided below:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Minifigures-Mr-Gold-71001-/140965400472?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item20d2314f98

lol @samiam391 has become our resident detective!!
    LegoMom1
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,423
    edited May 2013
    ^Yes very nice and I know I had something when I PM'd @samiam391 about him. He took it further.
    edited May 2013
    I guess we have seen it all in this thread. It is like a bad movie that is so bad you can't stop watching it.

Army of Darkness comes to mind :)
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Pitfall69 said:

I guess we have seen it all in this thread. It is like a bad movie that is so bad you can't stop watching it.

Well said.
    For all you Seinfeld fans:

"I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world."
    "I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges."
    "His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit."
    "He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away."
    "He transcends time and space."
    "He sickens me."
    "I love it."
    "Me too."

That's about sums up this thread...lol

• Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    edited May 2013
    Here is @pilotmatthews picture (or the one he stole)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Minifigures-Mr-Gold-71001-/140972049528?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item20d296c478

And just checking the person selling this, well they live in the same Province that I do. Very strange indeed.

Oh man, he is scamming people.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    One other thing, in his earlier comments he mentioned sifting through Target. Well, Target has not opened here in our Province. They are about too, but not some little nick town in the middle of no where.
    Oh, and further more. The Ebay listing states that the first bid on Mr Gold was May 7th, funny how he just found his today.

So, that being said. I believe he stole the picture from the guy who is listing it right now on Ebay, with the same picture.
    Pitfall69 said:

Oh man, he is scamming people.

So it would seem. We should have realized something was up much earlier. Nobody is as clueless as he seemed to be!!!

• PudgePudge Member Posts: 2
    While everyone is talking about scams, I would be interested to hear peoples opinions on this.... I chipped in with some mates for a couple of sealed boxes from a third party store. We were a bit unhappy with the seals. We queried the store and they have suggested that the glue/sticker is substandard compared to previous releases, or that environmental conditions may have affected the glue, as possible explanations.
    To me though it looks like someone has lifted the seals with their fingernail.
    Is this excessive paranoia, or does anyone else think the seals look a bit suss?
  • USMCYodzUSMCYodz Member Posts: 93
    Pudge said:

While everyone is talking about scams, I would be interested to hear peoples opinions on this.... I chipped in with some mates for a couple of sealed boxes from a third party store. We were a bit unhappy with the seals. We queried the store and they have suggested that the glue/sticker is substandard compared to previous releases, or that environmental conditions may have affected the glue, as possible explanations.
    Is this excessive paranoia, or does anyone else think the seals look a bit suss?

Those seals definitely aren't like that from environmental conditions. They definitely been opened up a little and probably been looked through.
    yys4uPitfall69
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    I would say from my experience, they have been opened and resealed, i would ask for a return/refund.
    But there really is no way to really know, unless there is a Mr. Gold inside.
    But honestly im 99.9% sure those have been opened. And once you deside what your going to do, it would be nice if you would let us know this dishonest 3 rd party store. I for one, will not be ordering from them.
    Pudge said:

It appears the seals were tampered with. Did you inspect the packages to see if they looked as though they were searched?

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Yea I'm sorry but those definitely look like they've been opened. But is that picture of both sides of the box? So did you buy two boxes and those are all 4 seals or are those one seal from 4 boxes?
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Jonn420 said:

^ woah, how does one go about getting a Brickset.com Minifigure????

I would have thought there are less in circulation than Mr Gold. Makes them worth more right?

• LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    edited May 2013
    I would have said that the seals have been peeled back and then a sloppy attempt was made at resealing them, just my opinion. But if I'd received those boxes I would not be a happy bunny. Hope you can get to the bottom of this :)
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited May 2013
    Since pilotmathew was appropriately banned for trying to scam, I went ahead and deleted all his posts. This conversation history may seem a little disjointed as a result, but I thought it was still for the best.

I guess he missed the chapter in Scamming 101 that scammers are supposed to inspire confidence. Of course, it's likely thay his obtuseness was not intentional.
    Pitfall69DougoutindigoboxLegobutterflyPenkid11
  • PudgePudge Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input so far everyone... its always nice to know I'm not completely paranoid :)

Its two boxes, with one seal either side. I have not inspected the individual packages, as I have purposely left the seals as they are in the photo and not opened the boxes.

I'm evaluating my options at this stage... I certainly want to be confident in my allegations before I go down the name-and-shame route.

I've included a photo provided by the store to substantiate the substandard glue explanation. Personally, if the seals on the boxes I have had matched the photo provided, I probably would have left the issue there.
    But I don't see any of the deformation of the seal (as if its been picked at and lifted by a fingernail) in this photo, nor does it explain why the seals on the boxes I have appear to be firmly stuck.
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 477
    Just to add my 2 penneth. I have purchased several s10 boxes from a bricklink seller, who I have used in the past. He is absolutely excellent. All boxes came in the outer cardboard shipping box. And not one had been tampered with. Once the box was removed from the outer the seals were perfect. Not coming away at all. In fact picture attached showing how the seal is forcing the cardboard on the box down. All boxes have been like this.

Pitfall69
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    @Pudge: So did you proceed to open the boxes or are they still "intact" as they arrived? Would it be possible to just return them to the seller since the seller is saying they are untampered?
  • NightfuryNightfury Member Posts: 13
    Number 4966 of 5000 found at the LEGO store at the Mall of America.
    It was an unexpected trip to the store. I'm glad I went!
    andhe
    @samiam391, in your experience, would Mr. Gold 1 of 5000 be worth a premium?
    rocao said:

Since pilotmathew was appropriately banned for trying to scam, I went ahead and deleted all his posts. This conversation history may seem a little disjointed as a result, but I thought it was still for the best.

I guess he missed the chapter in Scamming 101 that scammers are supposed to inspire confidence. Of course, it's likely thay his obtuseness was not intentional.

It is ok because most of the people who have been heavily active in this thread saw his comments

edited May 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

I've wondered about that too. Or would number 5000 be worth more as it would be the last one in the run and therefore, no more after that?

edited May 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

Yes, I would pay substantially more for a Mr. Gold that was #1 out of 5,000.

However, if given the choice between #1 and #5,000, I would choose and pay more for #1. I imagine this mindset would be the same among collectors similar to me.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ Does it affect the Falcon?

I'm sure it does as well. I think this holds true with any collectible. Especially automobiles.

Of course. The Flying Dutchman, as well.

I'm still waiting for my ltd edition #1 to arrive in the mail after I pre-ordered it from a certain Brickset member on here....
    YellowcastleLegoboy
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I'm confused by this Mr. Gold thing. Is there an estimation on how many are left still? What does the 4L feel like? And are these only in series 10 minifig boxes?

Forgive me if these questions have been answered already, I'm browsing through this thread now. :/
    Dougout said:

I'm confused by this Mr. Gold thing. Is there an estimation on how many are left still? What does the 4L feel like? And are these only in series 10 minifig boxes?

Forgive me if these questions have been answered already, I'm browsing through this thread now. :/

4L is a lightsaber blade or Harry Potter wand.
    Mr. Gold is available in all forms of display boxes.

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ok thanks @Pitfall69, I'll have to start my hunt soon
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2013
    I finally found series 10 in Australia yesterday, they were all tipped into a big container in the store so no idea if they were searched, I wasn't too fussed anyway, a Mr Gold would be cool but I don't like the odds, I'm just hoping to score a set of series 10 without too many doubles. We grabbed about 6.
    Everyone knows the value of this Mr Gold so unless you can get sealed boxes........
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2013
    Also, shame there's another scammer around, it doesn't matter how old or new they are to forums, a scammer is a scammer. Hello mrtonytj.
  • CroozCrooz Member Posts: 18
    Got to a brand new target end cap case tonight. No Mr. Gold, he eludes me for another day.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    He's still selling for £450-500 on the bay, higher than I thought he'd be by now. Will his value drop or could he actually hold it around the price of chrome C-3PO?
  • CroozCrooz Member Posts: 18
    Mother's Day and I get up early and hit two targets just at opening. Two new end cap boxes. 240 bags felt and no Mr. Gold.
  • chertikchertik Member Posts: 43
    I found a Mr. Gold minifig in a Bellevue, WA Fred Meyer store earlier this week. There were two boxes of series 10 minifigs, both of them open and rummaged through. I was looking for a bumblebee girl to complete my series 10 collection (which, by the way, was extremely hard to find in the Seattle area, for some reason). Literally the second packet I picked up I felt a top hat. I was, however, more excited to finally find a bumblebee girl, maybe because I actively looked for her, as opposed to Mr. Gold :)
    indigoboxBrickDancerSirKevbagsYellowcastleJonn420LegobrandonCPGothamConstructionCoFurrysaurus
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Sad thing is, I don't think I'll get one. The only place in town that has them is my local TRU. When I went to search, an employee came over and asked me, "Feelin' that top hat?" and walks away laughing.
    ^I would respond. "Is that the same kind of laugh you do when you look at your paycheck" ;)
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    @samiam391

I think i'm missing something... could you explain the flying dutchman reference? It just went whooosh straight over my head... Is there a dutchman set that I missed?
    No need to explain the lowest number being valued more by collectors, I knew that bit, it's just the Dutchman reference... you don't mean the Spongebob set, do you?
    edited May 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

^I would respond. "Is that the same kind of laugh you do when you look at your paycheck" ;)

That was a funny comment by the TRU employee. Yours not so much. At least he's working and not collecting a dime from others.

^I don't enjoy smug people. Especially ones that probably raided the boxes before they put them out.
    LegoRoccolegomattYellowcastleGothamConstructionCoDougout
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    ^Amen
    Pitfall69 said:

^I don't enjoy smug people. Especially ones that probably raided the boxes before they put them out.

Proof he raided the box? How is a TRU employee smug for his comment, but it's acceptable for you to say, ""Is that the same kind of laugh you do when you look at your paycheck." Pot calling the kettle black.
    Thego