Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

May the 4th Promotion 2013

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,196
    kevbags said:

So until American Football takes huge strides worldwide (unlikely) or Football takes over the US (never going to happen) then I don't see there being much scope for a major sports licence.

They tried NBA and it was a bit of a failure wasn't it? It's been a long time since the football (soccer) sets, maybe they didn't do well either.

The problem with realistic sports stars on lego is that they are like football stickers. Who is in one year could well be out the next. Given lead times for designing and releasing sets, they'd be trying to get rid of an excess of one player while not having another key player that has just emerged. Of course, they could do sports teams, but there is a licensing problem then. They could try for a generic head but detailed kit from each team in the Premier League, but that costs big money for possibly little return. It could just about work for big teams - Bayern, Man Utd, Barcelona, Real Madrid - but not for every team.

I'd like them to do international kits - maybe at the time of the World Cup, like they did Team GB before the olympics - but again licensing costs may be prohibitive. And you need agreement from all national FAs. You only need to look at the recent Panini World Cup and Euro stickers to see that some countries do not allow them to license their kits. England being a major one. All the kits are just airbrushed white, rather than carrying the England badge.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768

Are these Chima freebies a US thing only? Got my Rancor set last night - the Han fig looks like Kenny from Southpark. The poster isn't up to much.

Yep. another US only thing.

FollowsClosely
  • odshowtimeodshowtime Member Posts: 49
    Pitfall69 said:

^Don't go there Samuel. I'm sure Rothlisberger is an excellent CMF pack feeler. I'm sure he has found a bunch of Mr. Golds by now. I think he was spotted feeling up a bunch of packs at a bar.

Dude this is one place I go where I don't need rape jokes. As a Steelers fan and PSU alumni I DON'T NEED IT HERE.

Unacceptable.
    Dougoutsamiam391Pitfall69Zon
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2013

samiam391 said:

Peyton is okay to me (Brady is better and an AFOL to boot!), but no love for Eli ever. I'm a Chargers fan and the city will never forget that diss.

Brady is better? I guess all you Charger's fans have to find something to cheer about/for come playoff time...
    I thought we were friends Sam? Why'd you have to go there? It cuts deep every post season, usually after only the 1st round. And usually by the Jets :(
    Just be thankful you're not a Lions fan like me:(
    Pitfall69
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    OK.... I've read and read and read and read and (again) read the malcontent about freebies for the US. Is everyone done?

I didnt say a word about the fact that CMF Team GB weren't available in the US.
    I didnt say a word when everyone was riding the Star Magazine polybag gravytrain while it lasted.
    I didnt say a word.......etc.

Even being in the US, not in a completely overpopulated area, and nearest Lego store 300 mi away....everything is not just cheap and easy pickings.

Is the pricepoint lower? yes. Do I think it's fair? not really...but it's business. I will tell you it's not readily available for every FOL. Some *DO* actually have to work to find sets. It *IS* completely regional here, and there are varied successes to completing anything.

Series 10 CMFs probably wont even drop in my market until midcycle, and THEN it'll be available in TRU...POSSIBLY Target. I LIVE in Walmart country, and still none of them will carry CMFs more than likely...

It's not raining Lego here.....promise.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Pitfall69 said:

UPDATE: I called and they are shipping out the Hans. These are promotional items that most everyone should get with their order.

My B-Wing didn't have the Han Solo with it. And, like you I got a Chima set, 70113. I just called and they're sending me a Han. The C/S person I spoke to didn't know why I got the Chima set. I guess he didn't get the memo about it being a promo? Or, maybe the same warehouse person shipped both of our orders! :-) It is a bit odd that the Chima set isn't on my invoice and that the C/S person I spoke to didn't know about it. So, who knows what's going on. :-)

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I got the Chima, Han and poster with my X-wing yesterday. Will see about my B-wings when they arrive today.
    Oldfan
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 323
    @jasor Part of the lower price in the US is because our sets are manufactured in Mexico. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego#Manufacture). Cheap labor, plus NAFTA, plus low shipping costs to the USA all combine to make an inexpensive product. TLG is able to then pass those savings on to the consumer.

Sets in Europe are more expensive because the manufacturing costs is higher and there are also probably some import/export taxes added on top.
    Sets in Australia and the Pacific islands are more expensive due to shipping costs and taxes.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^^ Supply/Demand. Pricing strategies vs volume sold. I get it... I'm exhausted from hearing about the freebies, sale price, etc. US is a big volume market for TLG, and they have to keep interest up lest dust settle on lackluster selling exclusive sets they have to reduce 50% for damage control.

US does not get ALL the freebies, I guess is the main point. All frustrations with promotions and such should go toward TLG, and not be misguided passively aggressively into community. It's been on multiple threads, and I get the frustration.... just that it's not doing anyone any good, nor does it add to the conversation at all.

I should probably stop reading this particular thread. HAha.
    Pitfall69madforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,196
    jasor said:

US does not get ALL the freebies, I guess is the main point.

Yes, you get some deals, we get some deals.

We send ours at cost to you, you send us yours at cost to us. So send us freebies.

Wait a minute, they're chima. Keep them. :-)

jasordougtsindigoboxcarlqPitfall69
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Just received shipping confirmation for my B-Wing order. Weird thing is they provided 5 tracking numbers even though I ordered the 5 limit in 1 order. I guess they pack them 1 per box?
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,415
    Renny said:

Just received shipping confirmation for my B-Wing order. Weird thing is they provided 5 tracking numbers even though I ordered the 5 limit in 1 order. I guess they pack them 1 per box?

That's fine I suppose, as long as they didn't pack them like TRU does.... in a box 4X too big for the set with one piece of packing paper, resulting in a crushed and dented box.
    edited May 2013
    Renny said:

Yeah, LEGO has some of the strangest shipping I've ever seen. Just think of the money they could save if they combined orders going to the same address? 2 of my B-Wings are on backorder, which is fine. Since they have the Chima sets, Han Solo minis, and posters in stock they shipped them immediately. That's great. They came today in separate boxes. Boxes big enough to hold everything. There was really no need to ship in separate boxes. Course, maybe it's easier for their warehouse personnel to just put individual orders in individual boxes. Who knows?

I think I've had LEGO do this every time I've had multiple orders. I don't think they've ever combined the shipments.

• starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    here is my question of the day.... did anyone get their second set of B-wing yet :)
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    edited May 2013
    cloaked7 said:

Renny said:

Yeah, LEGO has some of the strangest shipping I've ever seen. Just think of the money they could save if they combined orders going to the same address? 2 of my B-Wings are on backorder, which is fine. Since they have the Chima sets, Han Solo minis, and posters in stock they shipped them immediately. That's great. They came today in separate boxes. Boxes big enough to hold everything. There was really no need to ship in separate boxes. Course, maybe it's easier for their warehouse personnel to just put individual orders in individual boxes. Who knows?

I think I've had LEGO do this every time I've had multiple orders. I don't think they've ever combined the shipments.

Once the box reaches a certain size it becomes more expensive to send that package. Plus I'm sure they have a large standard box size. That's why you'll see multiple shipments when placing an order for more than one large set.. Time is money, and if it's easier for them to send more than one then that's what they do, they probably get a discount with the shipping company for orders going to one destination, like that.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 323
    I am actually surprised that TLG does not just slap shipping labels on the product box. If anything would deter resellers, that would.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 686

I am actually surprised that TLG does not just slap shipping labels on the product box. If anything would deter resellers collectors and others who hate it when that happens, that would.

If TLG mucks up the boxes by slapping stickers on them like TRU or Walmart, I'll buy mine elsewhere. I'm not a reseller, but I do enjoy keeping boxes that are not covered in retailer stickers.

I received my HS poly, SW poster, Chima 70113 (what a surprise; if it wasn't for the insert that explained what happened I would have considered it a shipping error), and the 5 small SW sets I ordered on May 4 in a single shipping box.

Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,445

Pitfall69 said:

^Don't go there Samuel. I'm sure Rothlisberger is an excellent CMF pack feeler. I'm sure he has found a bunch of Mr. Golds by now. I think he was spotted feeling up a bunch of packs at a bar.

Dude this is one place I go where I don't need rape jokes. As a Steelers fan and PSU alumni I DON'T NEED IT HERE.

Unacceptable.
    Ha, I hope you are playing along and not serious. 90% of the people in here have no idea what the heck I'm talking about. If it makes you feel any better, I'm a Kobe Bryant fan :p

PS. WOW, PSU. I can't even drive past Sandusky, Ohio or listen to Neil Diamond without thinking about all that. Terrible :(

How did you like that int in OT last year by my Cowboys?

I am actually surprised that TLG does not just slap shipping labels on the product box. If anything would deter resellers, that would.

No, it would make it worse because there would be boxes without stickers on them and resellers would sell them at a premium.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    edited May 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

Pitfall69 said:

Unacceptable.
    Ha, I hope you are playing along and not serious. 90% of the people in here have no idea what the heck I'm talking about. If it makes you feel any better, I'm a Kobe Bryant fan :p

PS. WOW, PSU. I can't even drive past Sandusky, Ohio or listen to Neil Diamond without thinking about all that. Terrible :(

How did you like that int in OT last year by my Cowboys?

FWIW, I thought your comment was hilarious. :)
    cardgenius
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    I was also pleasantly surprised at the free Chima set. Must have not met sales expectations after Ninjago. Either way I'm opening it to see what the fuss is about.
  • SpeederSpeeder Member Posts: 3
    So is there any friendly soul out there who can part with any B-Wings for the discounted price ? Only need B-Wings... you get to keep Han and all extras =) PM me with what you got and we work something out.
    jasor said:

^^ Supply/Demand. Pricing strategies vs volume sold. I get it... I'm exhausted from hearing about the freebies, sale price, etc. US is a big volume market for TLG, and they have to keep interest up lest dust settle on lackluster selling exclusive sets they have to reduce 50% for damage control.

US does not get ALL the freebies, I guess is the main point. All frustrations with promotions and such should go toward TLG, and not be misguided passively aggressively into community. It's been on multiple threads, and I get the frustration.... just that it's not doing anyone any good, nor does it add to the conversation at all.

I should probably stop reading this particular thread. HAha.

If anything, there should be a separate thread for this discussion. At least you know when you walk into the door, you know to duck immediately.

jasor
    Speeder said:

So is there any friendly soul out there who can part with any B-Wings for the discounted price ? Only need B-Wings... you get to keep Han and all extras =) PM me with what you got and we work something out.

Did you ask before the sale? That would have been the best thing to do. I'm sure someone could have ordered one for you. I only ordered 2 and mainly to get another Han for a fellow Bricksetter.

• SpeederSpeeder Member Posts: 3
    Pitfall69 said:

Speeder said:

Did you ask before the sale? That would have been the best thing to do. I'm sure someone could have ordered one for you. I only ordered 2 and mainly to get another Han for a fellow Bricksetter.

No i thought i would get some myself but worst of luck, they did indeed sold out too quick so i had no chance... like *darn*, for sure i should have asked before the sale for someone to buy for me !!! But i do hope there are someone kindhearted willing to let go of some as certainly many ordered plenty... like you i think many also did however picked the B-Wing just to get the Han figure for free
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,415
    Speeder said:

Pitfall69 said:

Speeder said:

No i thought i would get some myself but worst of luck, they did indeed sold out too quick so i had no chance... like *darn*, for sure i should have asked before the sale for someone to buy for me !!! But i do hope there are someone kindhearted willing to let go of some as certainly many ordered plenty... like you i think many also did however picked the B-Wing just to get the Han figure for free
    @Speeder- Reading through your comments, I'm seeing a lot of plural(s) on the B-Wing.... are you wanting one to build, or several for re-sale?

I think someone may be willing to give you one to build, but if you're looking to re-sale what they are giving you out of the kindness of their heart for a fantastic sale price, I don't think you'll find many takers...
  • joch29joch29 Member Posts: 15
    I ordered 5 B-wings ( 5 boxes) in 1 order and got 5 chima speedorz as well!!
    Pitfall69
    edited May 2013

here is my question of the day.... did anyone get their second set of B-wing yet :)

I just got an email that the 2 backordered sets that I ordered later in the day has shipped. Is that what you mean? I got the one I ordered at 12:03am, and wasn't backordered, yesterday. FedEx says I'll get the backordered sets tomorrow.

• ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    Weird, I ordered 2 b-wings over the phone (seperate orders) when they were supposed to be backordered, and got them today. Also the 2 chima sets, so called and they should be shipping them.
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    yup thanks @cloaked7

u building squadron to take on evil empire?
    cloaked7 said:

I just got an email that the 2 backordered sets that I ordered later in the day has shipped. Is that what you mean? I got the one I ordered at 12:03am, and wasn't backordered, yesterday. FedEx says I'll get the backordered sets tomorrow.

• jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    One of my 5 ordered arrived today. The other 4 are on backorder but they sent out the Han figures (and Speedorz?) ahead. Those 4 should be here tomorrow. Will see what shows up in those packages.
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    Anyone got a spare b-wing they would ship to me?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Assuming I get my order, I can send one if you're ok with the cost of shipping from the US.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    edited May 2013
    My wife says return the Chima sets to Walmart. "Our son was going to have a sleepover and we decided to not give these out but we lost the receipt" then get something you want with the $100. Funny girl she is.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^I won't get into the ethics of that, but I don't think they would even accept them because of the marked up barcode.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    @jdylak why would you post on here that kind of comment?
    1) it will encourage people to commit fraud.
    and
    2) it hardly shows your wife up in a good light!?!
    FollowsCloselycloaked7Yellowcastleitsnotme
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    Got my first b-wing yesterday with Han figure and Speedorz. Speedorz looks pretty sharp. I think it's a pleasant surprise and this may bring more sales for Chima.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    jdylak said:

My wife says return the Chima sets to Walmart. "Our son was going to have a sleepover and we decided to not give these out but we lost the receipt" then get something you want with the $100. Funny girl she is.

My son opened one of the Chima freebies. Verdict is this theme is lame! Sold the rest on CL / FB for $12 a pop.

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    sidersdd said:

Bandit said:

Lol crazy. So I guess it wasn't a sale to get rid of extra b-wing stock, it was a sale disguised as getting rid of excess b-wing stock to get rid of excess Speedorz stock.

Can we all send our Speedorz to @kevbags to give to the charities along with everything else? That would be awesome - he might have 500 to give out if we did that. :)

For sure. For those in the U.S. who are receiving them, and don't want them, or don't have someone to gift them to, you can send them to me for inclusion on the donation to the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. I'm handling the donations to that hospital. PM me for shipping details. Thanks.
    Just a reminder. For those who don't want the Speedorz, and would like to donate to a good cause, please contact me. I'd like to donate as many of these as possible to the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital in Indianapolis, as part of the 2013 Brickset Raffle effort. Thanks.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,248
    My B-Wing finally shipped, hope I get some free Chima with it, my 3 year old thought they were awesome when visiting the Legoland Hotel last month and they had them displayed everywhere. Might tempt me to get some more when they are B2G1 next month(?)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    My order shows as shipped on [email protected] but I never received an email and can't find tracking on [email protected] Ideas?
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    edited May 2013
    For those in the UK who ordered the B-Wing from the American TRU. I contacted them who asked me to contact I-Parcel, which I did. They said that they are awaiting the shipment but haven't received anything in the last week. I contacted TRU again and they said they "will look into it".

"Dude, where's my B-Wing"? :D
    hantot
  • forumreaderforumreader Member Posts: 97

My order shows as shipped on [email protected] but I never received an email and can't find tracking on [email protected] Ideas?

Are you in the US? Fedex "track by reference" worked for me by using the order number as the reference value:

https://www.fedex.com/fedextrack/?cntry_code=us&tab=2
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310

What does it show next to "track order" on the "details for order number" screen? Nothing?

• BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    sidersdd said:

sidersdd said:

Bandit said:

Lol crazy. So I guess it wasn't a sale to get rid of extra b-wing stock, it was a sale disguised as getting rid of excess b-wing stock to get rid of excess Speedorz stock.

Can we all send our Speedorz to @kevbags to give to the charities along with everything else? That would be awesome - he might have 500 to give out if we did that. :)

For sure. For those in the U.S. who are receiving them, and don't want them, or don't have someone to gift them to, you can send them to me for inclusion on the donation to the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. I'm handling the donations to that hospital. PM me for shipping details. Thanks.
    Just a reminder. For those who don't want the Speedorz, and would like to donate to a good cause, please contact me. I'd like to donate as many of these as possible to the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital in Indianapolis, as part of the 2013 Brickset Raffle effort. Thanks.
    I'm in for 2. Come on, who else? :)
    sidersddLegoPodcaster
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    I'm sure a lot of those backorder B-wing orders got moved up, once they processed and removed all the extra orders that were placed. I'm sure that there was more than a few people (I'm not implying anyone here) that tried to buy more than the limit of 5. I think that's why any order with a b-wing went to customer service before being processed, so they could at least prevent the automatic abusing of the system.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2013
    sidersdd said:

Wait, if we do this, aren't we punishing the kids at the hospital by subjecting them to Chima?!?

Just kidding, I'm in for my 2 freebie speedorz & some other goodies. @sidersdd please send me a PM with the address to send and when the deadline is.

Every xmas I deliver lots of Lego to my local aid-provider, and I have yet to see ANY toy deliver happiness and joy to underprivileged/sick kids than a new Lego set. So, if you have sets lying around that you want to dump, donate! (hey, it's a write-off also). Even the workers' faces light up when you bring some in because they know that the kids will be thrilled. One such lucky kid this Xmas will be getting a B-wing :)

sidersddSirKevbagsColoradoBricksGothamConstructionCoLostInTranslationatkinsar
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Thanks @tensor. PM coming.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ same here I have 3 of them I dont care to do anything with so shoot me an address.
    SirKevbagssidersdd