Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10155 Maersk Container Ship Retired

datkiddedatkidde Member Posts: 108
edited August 2011 in Collecting
Did anyone else notice this had been retired as of July? That was a short run. Sorry if old news, I must have missed it if already discussed.

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,289
    I didn't notice, but I'm curious about that date since it's still showing as available from US lego.shop.com. I also know my local LEGO store has them in stock.

The dates of set availability are obtained automatically from scraping the LEGO site for additions and removal of sets. I always assumed this was tied into the product page, but perhaps it's a different list. If that's the case, and the info is correct, this could be the warning that it is discontinuing soon, but I don't consider it retired until it's actually no longer available for purchase from LEGO.

As an aside, I don't think the re-release has sold well. I'm sure the increased price from the original dissuaded some, but overall it's just another exhibit in the evidence that popularity among retired sets does not guarantee successful re-releases.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Yeah, I didn't notice it last week when I went into the Lego store...of course I wasn't really looking at the Exclusive section.
  • datkiddedatkidde Member Posts: 108
    I only checked this site here and didn't think to check [email protected] Should've did that first I suppose.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    Why was this set popular originally? The colors may be unique, but I don't care to have a non-minifig scale transport ship in my collection. I did get the Maersk Train set.

Although this may be evidence of a bad re-release, it is still an indicator that LEGO continues to re-release sets, but I question the popularity of this particular set.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,461
    Maybe Maersk just wanted a new batch of sets for their employees ? That was, as I understand it, the reason that the original set was put into production.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,289
    ^^ Previous Maersk sets were among the most sought after sets among collectors because of their limited availability and the exclusive maersk blue (which really is a great color) bricks. When 10152 came along, it had been nearly 10 years since a Maersk set was released. The set itself was replete of maersk blue bricks, and had a favorable price:piece ratio. Even though it wasn't mini-fig scale (I shudder at how large a container ship to scale would be), it was still a noble effort when considering LEGO cargo ships before and after it, and its containers were perfectly suited for train rolling stock.

As for why it was re-released, I'm only speculating, but maybe they had a very limited production run and stuck to it, but found themselves with a glut of maersk blue elements.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,144
    Rocao, one of the interesting things about the 10152 Maersk ships is that when the 2006 version came out... TLG had run short on the Maersk blue 2x4 bricks... so they checked with their model shops (not sure which ones?)... and some of the 2006 versions of 10152's had 3001old (Bricklink number) 2x4 bricks without cross-supports underneath. These had to have been from old 1980s model shop inventory, since the regular 2x4 Maersk blue brick did not enter mass production until the 2004 version of 10152.

I ordered 100 Maersk blue 2x4 bricks from a Bricklink seller 2 years ago, and nearly fell over when almost 1/2 of the order was 3001old's. These have been selling in Bricklink for $2-$4 each, and I was giving them away as freebies (I only paid 25 cents each) for Bricklink orders.

Also, I absolutely agree with you about Maersk blue being a nice color!!

Of course I bet our judgement is biased somewhat, due to the fact that before the 10152's... Maersk blue parts were very rare... even old Maersk sets used them sparingly... ;-)

I built (and sold) 20 MOCs that were a variation of an old 1959-60 continental European glued retailer display model (#0751). The glued model (I've never seen one in 10 years of looking on the secondary market) was made of regular blue bricks... and it was a model of the real 1955 inaugurated Regina Maersk Ship... the first of the Odense Denmark Shipyards built Maersk ships that had a Maersk blue hull (the original, not the LEGO model). Here's a pic of my model (using 10152 stickers and a pair of 1x10 "Tommy Armstrong Special" embossed "REGINA MAERSK" bricks)....
    edited August 2011
    The bizarre thing is how wherever in the world I happen to be, be it Europe, the U.S., South America or wherever, the sight of a (real) Maersk ship or lorry cheers me up. The company has become so inextricably intertwined with LEGO in my mind that instead of being just another huge, faceless organisation (which, let's face it, it otherwise probably is) it's a reminder of my passion and evokes happy thoughts. All hail the power of advertising !
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited August 2011
    ... the sight of a (real) Maersk ship or lorry cheers me up.
    Weird, isn't it? The highlight of my long drive home yesterday (after being away all week), was seeing a lorry with a 'Maersk SeaLand' intermodal shipping container on the back :-)
    Guess it must be even more evocative if you're a Danish AFOL, as it's also a little piece of home wherever you are; those intermodal containers are the albatross of the modern world; one of them somewhere must surely win the prize for most miles travelled on planet earth ever....
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    LOL! Coming back on the train from The Leicester Lego space display the other week and we passed a few Maersk trucks in a siding and the mrs goes 'oooh thats just like your train!'