Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

May the 4th Promotion 2013

Comments

• JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    will the b-wing even be worth stocking up on if it is half off?
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited May 2013
    Yes, not that it would be easy as it looks as though it will be limited to one per customer.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,011
    TLGs recent "death to all resellers" stance would imply to me that for such a large reduction on a large and costly set, the restrictions on the offer will be very strict - 1 only, maybe 2. TLG will do their bit to ensure that these bargain sets get distributed as "fairly" as possible, hopefully they'll fairly distribute the 50% discount to all markets if even one market is getting such a big discount (I doubt TLG's "fairness" stretches that far!

If we do see 20% off an SSD and 50% off a B-Wing then i'll have both. Any less than that and I may end up with neither.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Surely got to be one per person, what would you do with a second one but resell it?
    Get me one :)
    tmgm528
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    @Basta Interesting comment about the 50% being a hoax. It could be, but I don't see LEGO doing something like that intentionally. Would they? Have they ever secretly spread misinformation? Just curious.

It's also possible the rumor just started on it's own by a casual comment made by someone, then misunderstood. For example, in the LEGO break room the comment is said - "You know, it's wouldn't surprise me if LEGO marked the B-Wing 50% off for May 4th given how many we have and how slow it's selling." Some overhears part of the conversation, then it spreads, with slightly different verbiage. I wonder how possible that is?

The whole thing is quite interesting. Is it fact or fiction? Will be interesting to see what is on sale and for how much off.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    cloaked7 said:

It's also possible the rumor just started on it's own by a casual comment made by someone, then misunderstood. For example, in the LEGO break room the comment is said - "You know, it's wouldn't surprise me if LEGO marked the B-Wing 50% off for May 4th given how many we have and how slow it's selling."

Thing is, it's been 'confirmed' by too many US stores for it to be a widespread rumour. US store managers have had the sales list for a few days now, so if a store manager said to @LFT just yesterday that there'll be 50% off the B-Wings, there shouldn't be anything 'rumoured' about it - he would know.
    edited May 2013
    ^ Good point. So, it's either true or a hoax? And, if it's a hoax it is on employees and customers? Also, with computer pricing I guess LEGO employees just let the checkout register determine the price when they scan the item. Correct? Are manual markdowns performed on May 4th items? For instance if the B-Wing is 50% off? (questions, always questions...)
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Well i guess it will be a US-discount only! Over here in Europe we´ll most likely get a 20% discount, and over the big pond it will be 50%! Sounds (horrible)plausible to me!
    It has started, NZ [email protected] has Death Star, SSD, R2D2 & Jabba's Palace discounted, Looks to be a lol 12% or so. Funnily enough nothing off the B-Wing.

18 minutes to midnight in Australia and I'm not very excited :(
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited May 2013
    Basta said:

It has started, NZ [email protected] has Death Star, SSD, R2D2 & Jabba's Palace discounted, Looks to be a lol 12% or so. Funnily enough nothing off the B-Wing.

Seriously, the deathstar costs $899 in New zealand? jeez that seems such an awful lot of money :(

am i really reading that right? :o
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Legoboy said:

Thing is, it's been 'confirmed' by too many US stores for it to be a widespread rumour. US store managers have had the sales list for a few days now, so if a store manager said to @LFT just yesterday that there'll be 50% off the B-Wings, there shouldn't be anything 'rumoured' about it - he would know.

Yes, but I would like to be clear that it was not the store manager who told me that, so take it with salt. It was a regular employee, however all the employees in the store clearly knew the B-Wing was going the be the "big" sale item, the question remains, how much.

They did have the B-Wing back on display right in the center of the store, it hasn't been there for awhile now, so it is clearly being featured.

I still predict 20% off, and will be happy if it is more, but shocked if it is 50% off. But you never know. :)
    edited May 2013

Basta said:

Seriously, the deathstar costs $899 in New zealand? jeez that seems such an awful lot of money :(

am i really reading that right? :o
    Yep, it is $744 AUD, $762 USD, £490 & €582

It retails for $699.99 AUD in Australia, so NZ do get shafted even more then us.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    My wife is from Australia, and she often tells me that for as crazy as the cost of living in OZ is, New Zealand makes it look almost sane. :)

I have looked several times at moving my family to Australia, but the costs there are just crazy.
    May 4th sale is a bust for the Aussies. Same deal as NZ around 12% off the big sets except the B-Wing that has nothing off.

I'm thinking the 50% off may be just in stores if it does happen. Have TLG done that before?
    edited May 2013

My wife is from Australia, and she often tells me that for as crazy as the cost of living in OZ is, New Zealand makes it look almost sane. :)

Maybe, fuel and some food seemed a bit more expensive (Ice Cream in a cone was very cheap though, yum) but property, cars, skiing & camper van (RV) hire were all cheaper then OZ, at least from my travel experience there, has amazing scenery as well.

Although normally its the Kiwis that try to escape to Australia, my wife and I really like the South Island and in the past we would have moved there if the right jobs came up.

• HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Probably the B-wing at 50% off will be a US only sale. All the rumours so far about it were strictly from the US.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    This is my first May 4th promo, is it just on until midnight on the 4th or does it continue over the weekend?
    edited May 2013
    It does start at midnight. I think it lasts for a couple of days. Course, it may not fall during a weekend, although it does this year. The sales vary, some of the more popular, and better discounted sets, eventually sell out. As I recall, the items on sale might slightly change, that is something may be added to the sale that didn't start on sale. Somewhere in a thread the details of prior years are documented (exact sets, discount %, etc.) It is usually SW sets and they usually have 1 key item on sale. If I recall anything incorrectly I apologize. Don't worry, if I misspoke someone will correct me! :-)
    @cloaked7 that could be interesting, the B-Wing isn't even on sale in Austraia, maybe it will at some point over the next dy or so.
    @Basta. That's what I heard. It's like a soap opera, all full of drama! :-) What a cliff hanger for an ending episode - 'Will there be a discount on the B-Wing? If so, how much will it be marked down? Tune in next week and see!'
    @Cloaked7 Lol, yes it is, all over by next week though :D

I have wanted to get this set from day one, as UCS is one of my main themes I collect, and although this one gets some flack, I really like it. I thought I'd have another year or more but it sounds as though it will be gone sooner then later.
    Basta said:

@Cloaked7 Lol, yes it is, all over by next week though :D

I have wanted to get this set from day one, as UCS is one of my main themes I collect, and although this one gets some flack, I really like it. I thought I'd have another year or more but it sounds as though it will be gone sooner then later.

I think its one of those sets like the IS where until you actually see it for real it just looks like a pretty standard looking model.

Photos just don't seem to do lego sets much justice for some reason
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Thanks man.
  • morbiczermorbiczer Member Posts: 50
    I had no plans to buy the B-Wing, but at 50% I'll take it. 20%, no chance.

I am in Europe btw, so will be very pissed off if this turns out to be a US only deal.
    morbiczer said:

I had no plans to buy the B-Wing, but at 50% I'll take it. 20%, no chance.

I am in Europe btw, so will be very pissed off if this turns out to be a US only deal.

Its just downright unfair if it is, no offence to US members or anything like that but what exactly is so special about the US to exclusively get the b-wing for 50% off?

I also hate the fact pretty much all the exclusive stuff here in the UK is only possible to buy through their [email protected] website, i mean WTH is all that about?

I guess looking on the brightside it does make the exclusive stuff feel more "exclusive" i guess :)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    How come the red five isn't for sale in NZ? Isn't it on a global 3rd May release?
    ^ I'm in the U.S., so I don't feel your pain. But, I agree. I don't understand why something like the May 4th specials would be different from country to country.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ inventory. if there are a huge over abundance of them sitting unsold in the north american supply chain ([email protected] warehouse plus stores), but Europe's inventory on the B-Wing is thinner and more in line with what they want to carry, than a regional sale would make sense.
    edited May 2013
    Just got an email from yoyo. They're having a May 4th sale too. 15% off SW LEGO if you buy 2 or more items. Max discount $30. Expires 5/6.

The code is - STARWARSMAY4

I don't know if that equates to any good deals or not. Haven't checked what's available. I'm sure if anyone notices a good combo they'll pass it along.
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    ^ If, and thats a BIG if, they are 50% in the US and not elsewhere, it would probably be because they have a lot more stock piled up in the US. It would cost too much to ship it around, so it's cheaper to discount it further where the stock is located.
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    I just tried the Australia [email protected] and Han figure does get added to any order large enough to quailfy, not just SW.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    edited May 2013
    It probably has to do with overall cost to get/sell something in each country. If there are no import fees and getting product to the US is cheap compared to other countries then it makes sense.

Simple and not necessarily accurate example: Lets say its a $200 set that costs LEGO $75 to produce. *If* (this is an "if" don't yell if you know what this costs) the costs to ship/sell the set in the US is essentially 0 then even at 50% LEGO makes $25 on the set. Lets say that set sells for the equivalent of $250 in another market but that $50 extra is due to import costs/shipping to that country. If they were to sell it for 50% off in that country, now $125, they would still incur the $50 extra cost to get it there. So now they made 0 profit.

I don't know the actual costs etc but it could be something like that.
    ^ Yeah, all that could very well be true.

It's just my way of thinking, but I would think LEGO would offer the same May 4th discounts to everyone. Out of customer appreciation. They may even lose money on some items in some countries. So what? I think at times a company should put customer satisfaction above making a profit. The way I see it (and it may be just me) the company will reap rewards later beyond what it cost them during May 4th.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    All non-US members (if this does turn out to be true), don't worry, I'm not laughing at you or anything...I feel pretty bad about it.
    It's really not fair :/
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Here in the United States we love our imports. And unlike other countries we do not care about keeping jobs secure. So while we may get something like the B-Wing for 50% off, we also pay for it with job outsourcing.
    BrickarmorFollowsCloselyLegoFanTexasjasor
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    graphite said:

It probably has to do with overall cost to get/sell something in each country. If there are no import fees and getting product to the US is cheap compared to other countries then it makes sense.

Simple and not necessarily accurate example: Lets say its a $200 set that costs LEGO $75 to produce. *If* (this is an "if" don't yell if you know what this costs) the costs to ship/sell the set in the US is essentially 0 then even at 50% LEGO makes $25 on the set. Lets say that set sells for the equivalent of $250 in another market but that $50 extra is due to import costs/shipping to that country. If they were to sell it for 50% off in that country, now $125, they would still incur the $50 extra cost to get it there. So now they made 0 profit.

I don't know the actual costs etc but it could be something like that.

This. I don't know why international buyers can't grasp this concept. It's the cost of doing business which results in price differences and exclusives in different countries.

Simply because a shop opens in your area does not necessarily mean the taxes you have been paying magically disappears. I know at one point Sideshowtoys set up a distribution warehouse in Europe. While buyers were cheering on the lower prices the new warehouse brought in, Sideshowtoys was essentially subsidizing the low price out of their pocket until they completely bailed from Europe.

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited May 2013
    Confirmed 50% with reliable sources at my local store

Limit one per person on #10227 as well as #10240

Stores had previously been shipping their inventory of b wings around to balance it out

Biggest question to me is if it will also be 50% online. I could see that not being the case actually
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,652
    lulwut said:

This. I don't know why international buyers can't grasp this concept.

When it comes to lego, you (in the US) are international too.
    edited May 2013
    ^ good point

^^ the suspense thickens! Nail biting and more nail biting! Do I stay up til midnight? Do I call in sick and be at my LEGO store when it opens! ? !
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    dougts said:

Biggest question to me is if it will also be 50% online. I could see that not being the case actually

It should, so I can stack Discover's 5% cashback. Every penny counts.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    cloaked7 said:

Nail biting and more nail biting! Do I stay up til midnight? Do I call in sick and be at my LEGO store when it opens! ? !

A True SW AFOL would do both, just to be on the safe side :).

• epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    I planned on being at King of Prussia when the LEGO Store opens, anyways...it's only 15 minutes away.
    This just makes it harder to wait D:
  • BrickDaddyBrickDaddy Member Posts: 13
    If it is online we can probably expect an Amazon price match...
    ^ Amazon already has the B-Wing for 9% off. For me it's free of a 9% sales tax, so it's already a good deal. If they matched 20% off amazon may be better for me. I would not get Han Solo, but would save sales tax.

If it's 50% off I wonder if Amazon would still price match?
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    edited May 2013
    Why are people talking about calling in?
    Doesn't this deal go live for US Lego stores starting the 4th, i.e. Saturday?

Also to add to the fire in talking to the employees at the local Lego store they said they had a large supply of B-wings and "would not confirm or deny" any "major" sale on them.
    edited May 2013
    At Shop @ Home it begins at 12:01 on Saturday morning, as soon as it is May 4th. There servers are usually flooded during that first 30 minutes. It can be a bit crazy. I don't know if their C/S center is open for call in orders at the same time.

I suppose a person would need to call in sick, or some such, if you worked Saturday mornings and would typically miss when the LEGO store opened at 10am. 10 am, I guess that's when they open?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,902
    Why is this happening on the 3rd some places anyway? It is like all those Octoberfests that start in September
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 281
    ^ isn't Octoberfest supposed to start in September but finish in October?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,902
    ^Could be, just the first of many things I thought of that start way before they seemingly should like Christmas trees going on sale in August etc