Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mr. Gold hunt thread

Comments

• BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Found my first box of S10 in the UK, barely touched but sadly no Mr Gold.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599

tensor said:

Benzo said:

I felt the bags. Walmart had 10 cases out and I went through 6 boxes before I found Mr. Gold

How do you mean they had 10 cases out. Just sitting out opened up in the aisle, on the endcap?
    Yes, Walmart Canada just puts out all of their CMF stock in a single aisle. They don't pour them in bins or anything, they just put out the boxes. Most of the time the seals aren't even broken!
    Those crazy Cannucks. Still waiting for it to hit WMTs in the US
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I'm seeing sold prices on eBay for $585-$700+. I just can't believe people are actually paying that much.
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 835
    ^Just to be the first among the crowd. They will regret it in a month.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^Or in a year, when it's $75.
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    Does anyone here know the person who just listed a Mr. gold from Jackson, NJ?
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,380
    prevere said:

I'm seeing sold prices on eBay for $585-$700+. I just can't believe people are actually paying that much.

Already done from $1,200 less than a week ago. They'll keep dropping for awhile yet!
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    For the UK guys Tesco in the UK appear to have them in stock.

Southport had a delivery of 60 this evening. I was missing Medusa and she is pretty easy to find with her tail.

Sadly no Mr Gold however it was fun trying. :)

I also snapped this photo for you of the code to check stock. Oh and the box we had to get off the stock trolley.
  • Wyvern314Wyvern314 Member Posts: 1
    In Westerville, Oh, the Toys r us has 2 cases, I felt through both, but there weren't any Mr. Gold Minifigs, But I did get the awesome roman commander! P.S. The trendsetter's dog feels like the sea captain's pelican.
    P.S.S. The Motor mechanic's hat feels like the Revolutionary Soldier's Powdered Wig.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Went through 1¾ cases at TRU today and nothing. Don't know how much effort I will actually put into checking too many other places though. Did get me a full set and extras at the BOGO 40% off price.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    edited April 2013
    I have not made an effort to go out looking for and/or searching since series 5. Even with Mr. Gold figure, I have no ambition to seek out this figure. There's far too many who get their panties in the bunch over Mr. Gold.
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Number 162 Mr Gold has been found by Let's Go in Hong Kong.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Said I would stop at 4 cases, but here sits #5 in my lap. Just one my hit, I promise...
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 282
    Well smyths in Sheffield had already been pre checked by the staff member who served me, glad I just grabbed two at random for the wife and not wasted any time
  • MinifiguresPlusMinifiguresPlus Member Posts: 197
    ChanMcL said:

Number 162 Mr Gold has been found by Let's Go in Hong Kong.

Only 162??? Man, chances are looking good! That is if there are any left for me to open by the time they all arrive here. Seems everyone wants to buy a box this time.
  • AvacadoturbanAvacadoturban Member Posts: 91
    Looked through 3 sealed cases this morning: Poole Fleets Corner Tesco Extra, Poole Tower Park Tesco Superstore, and Poole Toys R Us, plus another 3/4 of a case at Toys R Us. No Mr Gold (though he doesn't appeal to me), but did get some Romans, Medusas, and Sad Clowns.
  • Doom4Doom4 Member Posts: 14
    I was looking for Mr.Gold for 2 days around the Czech Republic. I looked through 12 sealed cases and no Mr.Gold found :-( I will continue next week.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    I bought a box. No Mr. Gold but I "completed" my collection again, series 1 through 10 accounted for. That's it now, not going to bother with him unless I can pick him up for a reasonably expensive amount. £50 max!
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 835
    UK eBay sellers are starting to turn up for Mr Gold now.
  • Dark_PegasusDark_Pegasus Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    Went through ten cases so far; at WH Smith The Galleries, WH Smith The Mall, Tesco Homeplus and Toys R Us Cribbs Causeway, all in Bristol, UK. In quite a few places staff members were coming up to tell me that they had already been through the boxes which was a pain when they arrived. Not such a good idea of Lego's to include the figure instead of a token to be honest.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^ They went through the boxes or the boxes had already been gone through by the public?
  • MecabricksMecabricks Member Posts: 2
    I just come back from The Warehouse (Syvia Park) in Auckland, New Zealand. They had the series 10 minifigures on shelves, about 10-15 boxes and most of them were still sealed. I wasn't really looking for Mr Gold but I opened a couple of fresh one to get at least the 16 regular minifigs. There were still about 7 boxes sealed today, plus they were on sale (25% off) :-)
  • gottobecertaingottobecertain Member Posts: 7
    Has S10 been sighted in Australia yet?
    Also Does Mr. Gold replace a specific minifig from the set or do Lego just randomly remove one and replace with the rare minifig?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830

Went through ten cases so far; at WH Smith The Galleries, WH Smith The Mall, Tesco Homeplus and Toys R Us Cribbs Causeway, all in Bristol, UK. In quite a few places staff members were coming up to tell me that they had already been through the boxes which was a pain when they arrived. Not such a good idea of Lego's to include the figure instead of a token to be honest.

I don't think it's worth the time. I reckon 75% of the time the cases will be pre-searched.
    hantotDark_Pegasus
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I just can't win at Target. I've been going in several ones around constantly, and trying new people every time, and they keep giving me the May 1st line. Sigh.
  • RastRast Member Posts: 111
    Found a lovely half a box in Tesco, even though the sign says out of stock.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Judging by comments above, looks like I don't stand a chance of mr gold, then, which is a shame, because I would have enjoyed the brief moment of excitement/suspense.

I'm really annoyed that store staff are robbing us of the fun, and at TLG for being so damned stupid to not see (when we could) that store staff would just pick them all out before putting them on sale. Pfft.

No sign of series 10 in my local stores yet, so at this stage I have no doubt when/if they do get them they will most likely have been raided long ago by store staff before being sent on to my branch - then raided a second time by more staff before going on display.

Dark_Pegasushantotkez
  • Dark_PegasusDark_Pegasus Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    @Pitfall69 Sorry should have been clearer; the staff members had gone through the boxes. TRU has an excuse as they security tag each pack as well. I noticed in Tesco that they hadn't broken the seals just bent back the lid.
    @Richo I wholeheartedly agree with you.
    @gottobecertain I've been told that it replaces a figure i.e. the baseball player on one occasion. I'm not sure if it's random though.
  • RastRast Member Posts: 111
    Nevermind Mr Gee, they did not even have Medusa ha.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    @gottobecertain - I am pretty sure Mr Gold always replaces the Baseball Fielder, so only five are included in a box with Mr Gold in it.

I came across two untouched and sealed boxes in my local Tesco this morning (hidden behind the several boxes of Series 9 they still have in stock), I went through them both but found no Mr Gold, although I have picked up 8 Revolutionary Soldiers and 12 Centurions, each of which I am building an army of. I am off to a good start with this series I think.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    Just picked up a brand new case from tru in Gainesville, fl. No mr. Gold....but I do now have series 1-10+ team gb. Mr gold I will find you! Tru has $20 off $100 this week so a box came out to 170 I think, not as good as the boho deal last week...but my Tru didn't get them until today.
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 65
    Found a box at my local tesco this morning. Was on the top shelf with additional stock. Got it down and although all 60 packets were included it had been opened and rummaged through. Got my paintball players which are my favourite from this series. Happy hunting everyone!
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77

Does anyone know the UPC for these at Walmart in the U.S.? My local Walmart is claiming there is no way to look them up otherwise.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    ^ According to brickset, the UPC is: 673419191012 (you can see a picture on the right side of this page)
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    Checked the TRU in Aurora, CO and found 2 boxes but both had been looked through. No Mr. Gold but I did get most of the figures.

@Pitfall69 Sorry should have been clearer; the staff members had gone through the boxes. TRU has an excuse as they security tag each pack as well. I noticed in Tesco that they hadn't broken the seals just bent back the lid.
    @Richo I wholeheartedly agree with you.
    @gottobecertain I've been told that it replaces a figure i.e. the baseball player on one occasion. I'm not sure if it's random though.

Well that just plain sucks. Employees should not touch the packs.

• veyronveyron Member Posts: 5
    Went to shop yesterday bought 3 packets.
    1st pack - Skydiver
    2nd pack - Sea Captain
    3rd pack - Mr Gold
    JBricks27Penkid11GothamConstructionCoDoom4MinifiguresPlusHarryPotterLovernerick906
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    veyron said:

1st pack - Skydiver
    2nd pack - Sea Captain
    3rd pack - Mr Gold

I'm sorry to hear you got the skydiver.
    legomattYellowcastle
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ lol
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pitfall69 said:

Why not? This is not unique to LEGO, many such collectibles and "chase items" are done this way and many toy store employees get them first.

Sometimes, they can make more money sorting chase items than they get paid to do their job.

Any time there is an item that can be purchased for $2.99 and sold for $500+, that is going to happen, it is just simple economics.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    tensor said:

veyron said:

1st pack - Skydiver
    2nd pack - Sea Captain
    3rd pack - Mr Gold

I like the Skydiver, facial expression is great. The best of the 3 listed :)
    veyron

Pitfall69 said:

Why not? This is not unique to LEGO, many such collectibles and "chase items" are done this way and many toy store employees get them first.

Sometimes, they can make more money sorting chase items than they get paid to do their job.

Any time there is an item that can be purchased for $2.99 and sold for $500+, that is going to happen, it is just simple economics.
    Well, yeah, but it is agaist TRU policy for any employee to buy a toy, especially a collectible toy, the first time it is realeased. As per my friend who is a store manager. It is also agaist store policy to buy a toy from TRU and sell it online.

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    A lot of things are against "policy" in this world, doesn't stop people doing them. :/
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Basta said:

A lot of things are against "policy" in this world, doesn't stop people doing them. :/

Exactly, and to the person making $8/hr at TRU, spending 30 minutes in the back room to make $497 is more than enough to ignore the policy.

No amount of moral indignation on a LEGO forum is going to change that.
    ^I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I just wish it didn't happen.
    LostInTranslation
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    I guess all these people who are finding them must just be store employees xD (SARCASM)

Stop complaining about things you can't control and go on the hunt.

0_o
    Furrysauruscardgenius
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,012
    People find a way to "beat the system" all the time. If a store employee has the opportunity to "feel up" all the stock before putting it out then they will.

It's TLG's fault - either package the modular S10's in sometimg that prevents "feeling up" the stock to make identification impossible (and totally randomises what the collectors might get with every singular purchase) or put in a voucher/leaflet for redemption that has no meaningful weight difference implications.

Crazy money for this minifig is also to blame for the hunt hype (the price seems to have little bearing on it's actual rarity) and the lengths people will go to in aquiring it. Good luck to anyone actively seeking one in stock but doubtful you'll stumble across one if the shop staff are going through the stock before it is on the shelves.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Maybe an identical leaflet in each packet with a scratch panel on it. No differences in weight, simply scratch and win (or don't, much more likely).

While I agree that with the current packaging there is nothing to stop store employees cherry picking them, just because they do it doesn't make it right or within the spirit of the promotion.
    andhecheshirecat
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Personally I think they should have done 500 chrome versions of the standard 1-16 figures. Impossible to pre-feel as they would be identical.
    kylejohnson11lucianweevin
  • veyronveyron Member Posts: 5

I like the Skydiver :)
    Basta said:

tensor said:

veyron said:

1st pack - Skydiver
    2nd pack - Sea Captain
    3rd pack - Mr Gold

I like the Skydiver, facial expression is great. The best of the 3 listed :)