Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego sites you frequent

Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
edited April 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Brickset and bricklink are the main 2 info sites i use as far as the Lego hobby, what are some of your favorite sites to visit daily for news, pictures, mocs....?
kez

Comments

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,183
    Not as frequently visited since their forums are weak...

fbtb.net - for my super heroes fix
    brothers-brick.com - amazing MOC
    toysnbricks.com - deals
    Jonn420Crownie
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,283
    Brickset is by far my favourite site to use for news and reviews, but I also frequently visit Eurobricks, FBTB and Brick Fanatics, as well as plenty of blogs and Bricklink. A couple of the sites are a little outdated in appearance if you ask me, but the information is all there and I think there is a great community.

For MOCs it has got to be The Brothers Brick for me, which provides a very complete overview of some of the best MOCs being revealed all year round. Also, I very much enjoy the podcasts from @LegoPodcaster which give some great insights into some of the most popular builders' construction and design processes for MOCs, as well as discussing their first and favourite sets.
    Jonn420
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,610
    I used to visit Brick Fanatics a lot, but I don't like the redesign (sorry Rich!) so I don't visit as often now. This is the only site I visit every day.
    Jonn420
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    Brickset and Brothers Brick
    Jonn420
  • ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 262
    edited April 2013
    FBTB, Eurobricks, Hoth Bricks, The Brothers Brick and here are my main daily stops.

I've just discovered Brick Vortex, which is excellent in aggregating all of the top posts across the web's Lego fansites.
    Jonn420
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 642
    I usually have links open to Brickset, Bricklink, and Peeron. As a set collector, these sites usually have everything I need. LUGnet is a little too dead to be useful anymore, too bad...
    Jonn420
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Classic-Town.net
    Jonn420
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,033
    Same as @Jonn420 - Bricklink, Brickset, plus one additional one, Flickr. Those three cover everything for me from news to shopping to inspiration to friendships. And of course my own LEGO blog TheBrickBlogger.com which I started on the suggestion of my family because I was driving them crazy talking about LEGO all the time...(c;

Jonn420
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,322
    FromBrickstoBothans- Every so often to keep up on Toy Fair/Comiccon news
    Eurobricks- Sometimes, but those "signatures" always scare me away and make the entire site a jumble of nonsense

Oh yes, and:

Brickset- Always
    Jonn420
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 827
    I visit a lot of lego websites daily, there is a really good one that is called: www.brickvortex.fr
    But brickset is my most favourite one. The other ones I use are eurobricks, fbtb, Toysnbricks and more :-)
    Jonn420
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,936
    Has anyone esle every ended up on bricklin.com when accidently dropping the k? Some guys personal blog. I've never stayed long enough to look around.

brothers-brick for MOC, fbtb.net for superhero/film related news (in general it seems, not just lego), though those two come up on my facebook feed (as well as brickset) so find I don't have to check them as much.

I also look on flickr for MOCs (there's a number of lego specific groups), and eurobricks and classic-castle for MOCs, trades and rumours.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,858
    The sites I check and participate on regularly are Brickset, Eurobricks, BZPower, and Flickr (the last is of course not a LEGO site but pretty much all of my activity there is LEGO-related).

Blogs I keep up with fairly regularly include The Brothers Brick and Faber Files... again, this latter one is not a LEGO site specifically, but it is the personal blog of Christian Faber, an art director at the ad agency Advance which has been heavily involved in planning LEGO themes and promotions for decades now. Among other things, Faber was one of the chief creative minds behind the BIONICLE story, and regularly posts concept art from that theme.

Sites I check occasionally, usually just for front-page news, include Hoth Bricks, Bricker.ru, and FBTB.

And finally, wikis I check and participate on occasionally include BIONICLEsector01, HEROsector01, and The Ninjago Wiki. I'm staff on HEROsector01 and The Ninjago Wiki (ninja.brickcraft.me, currently down due to an ongoing server transition), though my activity on both has been minimal lately due to college.
  • MarkeyMarkey Member Posts: 69
    Brickset, Eurobricks, Brothers Bricks, TechnicBricks.

Another great one that hasnt been mentioned here is Beyond the Brick. They do interviews with Lego builders etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BeyondTheBrickTV

• woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    My Lego bookmarks folder is over 30 deep but my regular visits are to;
    Brickset
    Mocpages
    Bricklink
    Brothers Brick
    Re-brickable
    oh and the one people haven't mentioned yet - Lego.com
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566

I used to visit Brick Fanatics a lot, but I don't like the redesign (sorry Rich!) so I don't visit as often now. This is the only site I visit every day.

@paperballpark, thats a shame as your comments were always decent, would like to here your views on what you don't like via email.

Need to get more of you UK folks to visit Brick Fanatics seen as its a UK dedicated LEGO site ;-)

• cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    I used to have a long list of sites but found a lot of the info to just be re-posts from the sites I frequented the most. So I cut the list down to just these...

Brickset
    FBTB
    Brothers Brick
    BrickLink
    LEGO
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I'm always on Bricklink, check Brickset and Toynbricks several times a day, and brothers-brick whenever I have time. Pretty much it.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,751
    Brickset and Brickish

I don't find there's any more news or friendly interaction to be had than on these two sites. :-)
    LostInTranslation
  • Canuck42Canuck42 Member Posts: 3
    I am a longtime lurker here on brickset. I visit fbtb.net occasionally still, though not as much as I used to. The Brothers Brick and Toysnbricks would be the others I visit most often.

I gave that brickpicker a go for a bit, but abandoned that after the overwhelming number of garbage, kiddie, and numbskull posts became too nauseating to handle. The over all greedy feel there from most people, reducing LEGO to just another avenue to make money, did not help either. Blech. I'll stick with the real hobbyists here and continue with toysnbricks for that kind of info.
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 373
    Bricklink and Brickset and my kids are addicted to BrickQueen reviews. I like the decent conversations that take place on the forum here and also the wealth of decent info Brickset produces. Actually, I quite like BrickQueen because it gives me the chance to see the items close up and a) see if I would like them and b) see if it is worth buying for the kids. The other sites I do look at but very infrequently.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    ^ Not to mention her Princess Leia costume :-)
    Crownie
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 373
    Huw said:

^ Not to mention her Princess Leia costume :-)

Yeah, I have to agree, although my wife thinks different!

• flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    Brickset is always the first page I open in my browser, and is left open until my machine is switched off;bricklink is usually left open too. I also visit Eurobricks, Peeron, Lego and Brick Fanatics regularly, and I will occasionally visit Brickish, MOCpages, Cuusoo.
    edited April 2013
    bricksan said:

@paperballpark, thats a shame as your comments were always decent, would like to here your views on what you don't like via email.

@bricksan I've sent you a bit of feedback using the comment form on there. I've been honest, so I hope you don't take offense!

Also, with having to re-register in order to post comments, well, I just couldn't be bothered for a while (although I have done so today).
    bricksan
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to have a small rant while I'm on the subject of site design... (Warning: criticisms coming up!)

Brickish is... dated. It seems like it hasn't been worked on for at least 2 years (there's none of the new stores in the 'bulk tracker' section), and I'm sure I found dead links (although I can't find them now).

Additionally, the 'forum' almost seems designed specifically to deter clear communication and put people off from reading the whole topic, as you have to click a new link to read every bleedin' reply! It seems like the whole site is stuck in limbo, while the rest of the internet has moved on. Considering it's the website of the main and biggest LUG in the UK, it is, quite frankly, embarrassing. While the people seem friendly, the site desperately needs a complete overhaul.

Eurobricks seems to be a fairly generic bb-style forum design, with one horrible flaw - it stretches to full screen! That may not have been a problem 6 or 7 years ago when no-one had a monitor wider than 1024px, but in the age of widescreen monitors (mine is 1920px wide), it's simply horrible and unforgivable. There is literally one piece of CSS code which would fix it ( max-width:1200px; ), yet it's still as it is. That's probably the main reason I very rarely visit it.

And don't get me started on the monstrosity that is the design for Bricklink... It's an amazing site for what it does and what it allows people to do, and has so many features hidden deep inside, but dear god the design looks like it hasn't even seen the 21st century, let alone heard of CSS. The forum also seems to be of the same style as Brickish, and I never use that forum. The only saving grace is that someone somewhere back in the mists of time decided to make the site fixed-width, even if that width is only 800px.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant against all Lego fan sites, but there are examples of good design out there. Brickshire is a lovely clean design, easy to navigate and - to be honest - everything that Brickish should be, but isn't.

Last but certainly not least, Brickset itself, while a bit quirky in places, is functional and nicely customisable, with easy to use forums and friendly people using it! ;)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Eurobricks seems to be a fairly generic bb-style forum design, with one horrible flaw - it stretches to full screen! That may not have been a problem 6 or 7 years ago when no-one had a monitor wider than 1024px, but in the age of widescreen monitors (mine is 1920px wide), it's simply horrible and unforgivable.

I don't see this as a problem as long as the browser window can be resized. The display I'm typing this on, for example, has pixel dimensions of 2560x1440. My default browser window size is about 1/2 the width and 2/3 the height. Eurobricks looks fine at this size.
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    @CapnRex101 and @Markey Thanks for watching! I'm glad you enjoy the show.

I use Google Reader (until it's shut down in July) to keep up to date on a long list of LEGO related sites on a daily basis:

The Brothers Brick
    FBTB
    ToysnBricks
    Eurobricks

If you aren't familiar with the LEGO Community Team blog I would encourage you to check it out as well.
    http://goo.gl/QzB5e
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    edited April 2013
    @Paperballpark, I wrote the code for the Brickish forum, originally back in 2002. I won't take offence at your comment because it is an acquired taste ;-) Those that have been using it for 11 years love it, but for newbies it can be a bit daunting, and unless you read it 1-2 times a day and want to read everything, difficult to use.

Brickset is about to be dragged into the current decade and will be undergoing a complete redesign, with particular emphasis on a responsive design. It's early days yet but it's likely to be rolled out within 6-9 months (it's going to be a big job!). If you, or anyone else, wants to see progress so far and participate in testing it, drop me a PM.
  • ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36
    Brickset, Eurobricks, Toys N Bricks, Bricklink. Those are the regulars that I manually visit. Also the interesting RSS feeds for those sites (except BL which sorely needs RSS feeds). I also have a few blog RSS feeds: A Modular Life, Hispabrick, LEGO Talk, LAMLradio, Cuusoo, All About Bricks, FBTB, Brothers Brick, theBrickBlogger, Steve's LEGO Blog, BrickJournal, The Ugly Duckling, Gimme Lego, Smashing Bricks, Brick Fanatics.
    binaryeye said:

I don't see this as a problem as long as the browser window can be resized. The display I'm typing this on, for example, has pixel dimensions of 2560x1440. My default browser window size is about 1/2 the width and 2/3 the height. Eurobricks looks fine at this size.

I always have my browser window maximised, so it's definitely an issue for me.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    @huw please don't break it. One thing I really like about the site right now is it's easy to use and while that may be subjective, I've seen so many redesigns that actually, IMO, are a big step backwards.

Also, remember rule 1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bricklink, now there's a useful site that is in serious need of a lot of development effort.
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    Oldfan said:

I usually have links open to Brickset, Bricklink, and Peeron. As a set collector, these sites usually have everything I need.

Funny, as a collector, I find Peeron never to so much as have my most recent purchase in their database, let alone offer a complete parts list. Not to mention that it's painfully slow, and has always been.

I completely stopped using them around two years ago. Then one fine day Rebrickable came along, let me import my Peeron inventory fully automagically, add all my stuff Peerson still didn't cover, and I have never looked back.

So with that out of the way, the sites I visit most often, roughly in this order, are:

- Brickset
    - Rebrickable
    - Bricklink
    - The various LEGO-related subreddits
    - CUUSOO
    - Flickr
    - Brickshelf
    - Amazon
    - LEGO.com
    - MOCpages
    - Brothers Brick and other blogs, can't say I'm a regular anywhere, mostly just clicking through from other sites
    - eBay and other online shops
    - sites dedicated to the various CAD tools I am using
    I'm sure I read somewhere that peeron hasn't been updated with new sets for at least two years now.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    That would seem about right. I inventoried #8403 city house not long after it was released and it was almost a year later before they added it to their website. Shame as I like the site and I found it before I even knew about BrickSet.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    I generally visit FBTB.net, Toysnbricks.com, Eurobricks, Rebelscum (lego section) and now here.

I didn't know of the Brickset forums until recently. :)
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 642
    ^I've tried Rebrickable, and it just seems a little convoluted to add in the sets that don't get automatically imported, or to add any loose parts I want to track. Plus I don't really like the CGI-looking parts pictures, but I guess that's the wave of today, so chalk it up to personal preference.

Peeron is definitely out of date and effectively dead (especially for parts and sets from 2011 forward), but for older sets I much prefer the layout and format of Peeron. It's not perfect, but it's what I like...
    Oldfan said:

^I've tried Rebrickable, and it just seems a little convoluted to add in the sets that don't get automatically imported, or to add any loose parts I want to track. Plus I don't really like the CGI-looking parts pictures, but I guess that's the wave of today, so chalk it up to personal preference.

Peeron is definitely out of date and effectively dead (especially for parts and sets from 2011 forward), but for older sets I much prefer the layout and format of Peeron. It's not perfect, but it's what I like...

I have pretty much never used Peeron for set inventories except back in the day when Bricklink was included in an outdated rule the BIONICLE fansite BZPower had against linking to other sites with forums.

Peeron is, however, a somewhat reliable source for referencing which LEGO color names correspond to which Bricklink color names and vice-versa. Not an infallible source, mind you (a perfect source isn't really possible since many Bricklink color names, particularly metallic color names, refer to somewhere between two and four different colors), but one of the better ones. The Peeron color chart is one I refer people to fairly regularly.
    Oldfan
  • LEGO_HULKLEGO_HULK Member Posts: 20
    Rebrickable.com is fun checking to see what parts you need
    Brickset.com and Brickpicker.com are daily stops (multiple times)
    TheBrickShow is entertaining and view them like 1-2 times a months to see the reviews I care about

The rest to me is a bunch of the same stuff copied over and over again and boring blogs.
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    samiam391 said:

Eurobricks- Sometimes, but those "signatures" always scare me away and make the entire site a jumble of nonsense

Oh yes, and:

Brickset- Always

So agree with you on the signatures. It's one of the reasons (aside from the awesome people) that these forums on Brickset are so great. Minimal visual distraction. I get my content without having to sort through whatever crap people feel like displaying. Over and over. And over again. Oy.

LegoPodcasterOldfan
    Crownie said:

samiam391 said:

Oh yes, and:

Brickset- Always

So agree with you on the signatures. It's one of the reasons (aside from the awesome people) that these forums on Brickset are so great. Minimal visual distraction. I get my content without having to sort through whatever crap people feel like displaying. Over and over. And over again. Oy.

I don't mind signatures, but that's probably because I'm used to them — my first internet forum was the BIONICLE forum BZPower, which has always had them. Granted, some EB signatures are larger than BZPower signatures used to be, but it's still easy enough for me to ignore them (and in the meantime, signatures are another helpful clue for remembering who's who in addition to usernames and avatars, which is helpful for me).
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    I hate signatures, but ideally a forum would allow them and let users turn the viewing of them on or off.
    Bandit said:

I hate signatures, but ideally a forum would allow them and let users turn the viewing of them on or off.

Which is what Eurobricks does. You don't have to have a signature. It's an option. You can put it on, and then take it off. It's your choice.

I'm very glad that Brickset doesn't allow signatures. If it was an option, no doubt that eventually most people would use the feature and get them. The only people that wouldn't get them would be oldies, such as myself, who prefer things as they once were.

In my opinion, and no shots at eurobricks which is a great site, but signatures just jumble the site and make it unprofessional. When I first joined eurobricks I read signatures as comments, and comments as signature... so much so that I actually lost the trail of the conversation. No signatures gives a clean, open feeling, where all you focus is on the words. I don't think this community needs any more distractions anyway ;o)

^

I think @Bandit was referring to the idea that people browsing Eurobricks should be able to turn off viewing everyone else's signatures while browsing the forum. So more of a 'viewing' option than an individual 'user' option.

At least that's how I took it.

And I guess I'll put my hat in with the 'oldies' as well. The internet is probably better at providing distractions above anything else. And I don't need more of those, lol. The world's crazy enough.

;-)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Crownie said:

I think @Bandit was referring to the idea that people browsing Eurobricks should be able to turn off viewing everyone else's signatures while browsing the forum. So more of a 'viewing' option than an individual 'user' option.

Correct, thanks. It has nothing to do with having or not having your own signature.
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 141
    You can turn off sigs at EB you know ;) I hate that kinda noise myself

I frequent EB, BS, BL, B-B and CC. FBTB seems pretty dead?
    TheCableGuy
    edited April 2013
    Bandit said:

Crownie said:

Correct, thanks. It has nothing to do with having or not having your own signature.
    Ah... a good idea @Bandit. My apologies for misunderstanding! I wouldn't mind that honestly, as long as I have that option. Something Eurobricks should definitely implement. It would no doubt clear up their site a lot and give the user a better interface depending upon their preferences.
    samiam391 said:

Bandit said:

Crownie said:

Ah... a good idea @Bandit. My apologies for misunderstanding! I wouldn't mind that honestly, as long as I have that option. Something Eurobricks should definitely implement. It would no doubt clear up their site a lot and give the user a better interface depending upon their preferences.
    As 1974 said, that feature is already implemented. Just go to your settings on Eurobricks, click "'Ignore' Preferences", and check the little box that says "Ignore all signatures while reading topics". You can also ignore individual users' signatures in this way if there's just a handful you find particularly offensive to the eyes.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 810
    Bandit said:

Yeah, I wish there were more viewing options on forums. I've had signatures turned off on EB for a while, but I still find too much visual garbage for my tastes. Every post has the user's details (post count, "rank", date joined, member #) and any "badges" they've earned (in icon form).

The Vanilla Forum model is FAR superior IMO. I also like the classic LUGNET/NNTP view, although that's not likely to come back!

DaveE
    1974 said:

You can turn off sigs at EB you know ;) I hate that kinda noise myself

Hey, you learn something new every day! Thanks!

That definitely helps. ;-)
  • BobaFett2BobaFett2 Member Posts: 12
    Brothers-Brick, Brickset, BZPower, Rock Raiders United, Eurobricks