Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mr. Gold on eBay

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I still see that sold option.
    Pitfall69
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    One issue with not showing what the accepted best offer was, is that people may think it sold for $2999 or that the best offer was at least close to it, say $2000+, why list something at 3K if you are willing to accept $500.

This can then be abused as you list it with best offer at a high price and then use another account and accept $1 for it (Pay next to no fees) and everyone is speculating what the price was, and most probably thinking it was closer to the asking price then to $0. This then artificially inflates the going rate, and helps people justify asking more for the ones they are selling & for buyers spending more than they may otherwise.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,959
    ^ That was exactly my concern when eBay introduced that behaviour.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    It shows being sold for $500 for me...
    Pitfall69
    Bandit said:

It shows being sold for $500 for me...

OK, might be a US based eBay thing, if you look at the Australian eBay page it shows the sold for amount.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lego-Series-10-71001-Mr-Mister-Chrome-Gold-IN-HAND-4628-sealed-bag-minifig-/290900229409?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item43bb013d21
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I just can't believe that someone paid $500 for it. That is completely ridiculous and you know it will go for a tenth of that once they become more prevalent. Outrageous...
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    Looks like an Oregonian beat me to the boxes :(
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

I just can't believe that someone paid $500 for it. That is completely ridiculous and you know it will go for a tenth of that once they become more prevalent. Outrageous...

Will it drop to $50? Maybe... There are only 5,000 of them, half the number of gold C-3PO figs.

It might for a short while, but I'll go ahead and toss my hat into the ring that the price will stabilize around $150 a year from now.

Any takers?
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    I doubt it goes to $50, simply because I think there will be plenty of people willing to pay at least $100 for this, and I don't think the supply will outnumber them anytime soon. It will be interesting to watch...
    I figured it wouldn't be that cheap either, I just wanted to shorten my sentence lol. Do you think it will level out at $100 or $150? Or stay at a higher rate?
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

Will it drop to $50? Maybe... There are only 5,000 of them, half the number of gold C-3PO figs.

It might for a short while, but I'll go ahead and toss my hat into the ring that the price will stabilize around $150 a year from now.

Any takers?
    I'll be pretty curious to see how this goes. To me (and I believe we covered this somewhere in the May 4th discussion), chrome C-3PO makes sense, and I can completely understand why someone would want him, whereas this one seems more like 'chrome for the sake of chrome.'

The low production number will obviously impact the price, but at the end of the day, how many people will ACTUALLY want one of these? I feel like it can't possibly be enough to get it anywhere near the levels of Threepio... but then, the frenzy behind the entire CMF series has always seemed a bit anomalous to me.
    I concur. I can see how the chrome Threepio would appeal to many collectors above and beyond the average AFOL. I think the appeal of the CMF series is that it is collectible, gives you odd figures that you can place in several different sets, and is relatively cheap. Otherwise, it's like an action figure line more or less. Now if they did a Superheroes CMF line I would go nuts...
    y2josh
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337

Looks like an Oregonian beat me to the boxes :(

Guce is the owner of Canby Bricks & Minifigs. Don't ask me how he got the fig...all I know is he has some very nice contacts in the industry. Somehow I don't think he ruffled thru the local Fred Meyer boxes lol.
    edited April 2013
    ^ if he sells new and/or boxed Mnifigures (I assume he does?), it's not a very smart move IMO. If I was after singles or boxes of S10 CMF I'd not buy from him now. As rightly or wrongly I going on the assumption that he has searched though all his Minifigures now.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    Mr. Gold will be under $100 after a few years. Just gotta be patient and buy it in the summer.
    edited April 2013
    Basta said:

^ if he sells new and/or boxed Mnifigures (I assume he does?), it's not a very smart move IMO. If I was after singles or boxes of S10 CMF I'd not buy from him now. As rightly or wrongly I going on the assumption that he has searched though all his Minifigures now.

He has no S10 for sale. He did have Mr Gold. As I said he has some nice contacts :)

Also big thanks Basta for the aussie ebay link to determine sold prices for best offer items....did not know that little trick!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,869
    Interesting to see that the limited edition numbers seem to be high in the US (4628/5000) and low in Europe (0870/5000 and 0865/5000) so far. Which would make me hazard a guess that 0001/5000 is floating somewhere around europe (possibly Hungary if the got them shipped first).

Make of that what you will.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    edited June 2013

Guce is the owner of Canby Bricks & Minifigs. Don't ask me how he got the fig...all I know is he has some very nice contacts in the industry. Somehow I don't think he ruffled thru the local Fred Meyer boxes lol.

I had no idea that was John from Bricks & Minifigs, good to know. Tough to compete with him with the Fred Meyers down south when LOTR sets go on sale :)
    lucian

I had no idea that was John from Bricks & Minifigs, good to know. Tough to compete with him with the Fred Meyers down south when LOTR sets go on sale :)

Yep he is a very good businessman. Runs a very clean shop, hires locals and has a ton of knowledge and is happy to share....A++ in my book.

I have matched all the bigger players on ebay to keep track of what is going on...helped my game alot in the beginning.
    lucian
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Looks like a fail on behalf of The Lego Group to me. Lego's goal is to make money. Having a super rare chase figure that come's in a blind package for $3 and then sells for $500 on ebay means somebody else is making the money and not the Lego group. I guess the point in a rare chase figure is the hopes that more people buy series 10 in hopes of getting the rare figure. The problem with 5000/1x10^x figures is it's to rare for the average consumer to keep buying to chase. The other fail is that you can feel the package to know what figure you are getting so you don't need to buy hundreds of figures to get the rare one, you only need to feel hundreds to find one. I just can't see how 5000 super rare figures are going to help the Lego Group more than hurt.
    Well in the beginning I would see tons of kids at my local lego store feeling through the packages on release day for CMFs. Nowdays I see nobody except maybe an AFOL buying a whole box. They killed the collectibility by releasing too many too frequently. No doubt series 9 did not sell well (I still see series 6,7 and 8 on shelves at stores). Mr Gold was no doubt employed in an attempt to rekindle interest in this line. Will it succeed? Maybe to a small extent as I am already keen to see what the gold fig will be for series 11. I won't be purchasing anymore and my son could care less about CMFs nowdays...he just wants to know when ninjago is coming back.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2013
    ^Great feedback. Stopping through Five Below and Target lately, you can see the impact of CMF. Microfig and minifigure "mystery series" aplenty.

It was cute and fun, and now it's time to move on.

What will Lego replace CMF with? Once you create new revenue, it needs to be maintained.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    @doriansdad - This may have been meant as a joke and I misinterpreted it, but the Mr Gold Minifigure is being released to celebrate the tenth series, so there will not be one in Series 11. Also, I refer you to this video with regard to "could care less," sorry to be 'that guy' but it really bugs me :)

martynJosephflowerpotgirlpaul_mertonFurrysaurusBOBJACK_JACKBOBmonkey_roo
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    We appreciate you holding down the fort in the siege on grammar.
    Furrysaurus
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    ^ Oh you... :)
    edited April 2013
    I did not know Mr Gold was to specifically commemorate the 10th series. But does this necessarily mean no gold fig (or an equivalent chase fig) for the 11th?

As for the video, I could care less :)
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    Fear not. This means we'll probably get another one for series 20, which at the current rate of release will only be in a year or two :-)
    andhe
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 810
    I've been periodically checking in on Mr. Gold's price on eBay, and taking some notes. Here's what I've seen so far, after 52 days:

So, interesting. I expected it to drop more quickly, but I guess there's still a lot of high bidders out there!

DaveE
    sidersdd
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ I thought it would have dropped quicker, as well. 752 registered worldwide as of this posting, so there are still a lot to be found and I would expect the downward trend to continue.

I haven't given it too much thought, but my gut tells me it will settle to $200-$250, and that's probably where I would bite.
    rocao said:

I haven't given it too much thought, but my gut tells me it will settle to $200-$250, and that's probably where I would bite.

:) Nothing wrong with it of course, but I find it incredible that anyone would pay $250 for a single minifig.

They do of course, but I really don't get it. :)

Of course, my wife doesn't understand me either, so I guess we all have our strange ways. :)
    Furrysaurus
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 810
    For the record, that's 153 separate auctions or buy-it-nows that all ended in successful sales. I've recorded 209 separate listings, so 56 didn't sell for whatever reason. If everyone that found a Mr Gold registered it, and there are 752 reported found, then that means that a whopping 20% of those found wound up on eBay! Of course, I doubt everyone registers their Mr Gold minifigs-- makes me curious to know what percentage will ever get "found" officially...

DaveE
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    I find it incredible anyone would pay $100 for a minifig. Or $50. When you consider how many bricks that buys. But then I am not a completist.
    ^ If I buy a Mr. Gold, my normal spending on bricks and sets would continue unhindered ;)
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    @davee123

Thanks for that very well done graph.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401

rocao said:

:) Nothing wrong with it of course, but I find it incredible that anyone would pay $250 for a single minifig.

Of course, my wife doesn't understand me either, so I guess we all have our strange ways. :)
    I'm sure @samiam391 has plenty of times ;)

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,284
    Pitfall69 said:

rocao said:

I'm sure @samiam391 has plenty of times ;)

Unfortunately, it's a regular occurrence.

Think of it this way, for people with the mindset like @LegoFanTexas. You all wouldn't hesitate to pay say $1,000 for a NIB 1st edition... same that I wouldn't hesitate to pay a similar price for a particular minifigure.

It's all relative. I'm invested into minifigures and they are my passion and hobby... for others it's sets.

It may be hard for you to comprehend while looking at my 2 inch figure and standing next to a 5,000 piece set, but that's just the way it is... you to sets is me to figures :o) The same passion you have for sets, is the same I have for figures!
    Beav
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Same here Sam, but it's like anything, some spend ridiculous amounts on action figures or trains or model cars or a comic or poster, same with Lego. Some collect mint in box sets that never get opened, some collect minifigs.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    @samiam391 said: It may be hard for you to comprehend while looking at my 2 inch figure and standing next to a 5,000 piece set, but that's just the way it is... you to sets is me to figures :o) The same passion you have for sets, is the same I have for figures!

And they won't ease you out of your living quarters as quickly either.
    samiam391 said:

Unfortunately, it's a regular occurrence.

Think of it this way, for people with the mindset like @LegoFanTexas. You all wouldn't hesitate to pay say $1,000 for a NIB 1st edition... same that I wouldn't hesitate to pay a similar price for a particular minifigure.

Eh? I don't have THAT much passion! After all, I've now sold more than half my UCS collection, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, and other sets...

I like them, some of them are downright amazing... but not for THAT much money... Sheesh... :)

I can take my family on some pretty cool vacations for what those sets sold for, and frankly I'm sure you could find people who think vacations are stupid, so again, to each their own...

For the record... $200 for a minifig is just as nuts as $2,000 for a large plastic space ship. :) This is why I own neither. :)

Of course my mother jokes and gives me a hard time that my truck has air conditioned seats, she thinks that is rather posh. :) I just think it is normal in Texas when it is 106 degrees outside. I'm sure more than one person would think that was a waste of money.

So what is my point? Eh? I guess I don't have one, other than we all have interesting ways to spend our money that make us happy.
    DrmnezFurrysaurus
    ^ Yep, you weren't a good example, unless samiam391 would have qualified it by saying you wouldn't hesitate to pay $1000 for a NIB 1st edition with the intent to sell it for $1500. :P
    sidersddsamiam391indigobox
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,284
    edited June 2013
    ^^I would think you even more a goof if you didn't snap up a 1st edition UCS MF for $1,000. ;o) That's what I was referencing when I said "1st edition", I forgot to include the "UCS MF" label too.

For the record... $200 for a minifig is just as nuts as $2,000 for a large plastic space ship. :) This is why I own neither. :)

Blasphemy!
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 856
    I bought a first edition mf about 1.5 years ago. Opened it and built it. Best decision ever.
    lucian
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited June 2013
    Just a thought:

The principle that mr gold will come down in value after the initial buzz wears off is of course very true... but I would also suggest a caveat for those waiting to buy when the price drops... there is also the possibility that it will be more a 'window of opportunity' than a permanent low. Timing is key.

Reason being, the price drop is a reflection of the market reaching maximum capacity; when the largest number of sellers are looking to cash in at the same time, resulting in the buyer having wider choice and being able to command a better price.

BUT. After this period ends, and the number of sellers begins to dry up once more as the mr. golds gradually sell out, the price is likely to rise again. The reason being that most sellers have now shifted their inventory, and the remaining figs may now be in the hands of collectors.

This means a shift back to the seller being able to demand a premium price for a highly sought after fig in scarce supply (half the number of chrome 3PO with a wider collector base).
    DadGothamConstructionCocardgenius
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Yep.. The people buying now won't likely resell anytime soon. These will blow up again.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    @legomatt Think you're bang on there. It's just a question when that window will be, and how long it will open for.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,380
    I think @legomatt is spot on there, the price right now is premium for the must have crowd. Looking on Evilbay it looks to be around the £450 mark, there are a few auctions ending this weekend which will give a guide. I am guessing once all the Mr Golds are out in the world the price will drop but only for a short time. My guess would be towards the end of the year through to early next. Basically after serise 10 has left the shops and people have moved on a bit before it could creep up to a settled level. My hope is it drops down to £100 but I think that might be pipe dream I can see it dropping to £200 after the rush and then maybe creeping back to around £300.
    But then again I could be ring and the price will just stay high... Only time will tell.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 440
    Everybody, wether it is for personal collector purposes or for reselling purposes is hoping it drops under 150€. Most of the people are hoping it goes under 200€. Many people are waiting for it to come under 250€. Some people will snag one at 300€. A few at 350€...

And the list goes on. There are only 5,000 Golds, the question is, how many people are on each level? I don't think it will drop much under 300€.
  • TrenthTrenth Member Posts: 162
    I think it is sad that people are doing the whole "Medusa or Mr. Gold thing" on Ebay. There is no way they aren't checking the bags. It is even sadder that people are falling for it.
    yys4usamiam391
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Once Series 11 comes out, I don't think there will be much excitement for Mr. Gold.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    edited June 2013
    ^ Agreed, I think that considering S11 is due in September, and not even 1/5th of the Mr. Golds have been registered yet, interest will wane for all but the serious collectors.