Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mr. Gold on eBay

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,546
edited June 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Some joker wants €1000 for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261200943042

I think I'd want to see a photo before bidding!

(thanks Gabor for the tip-off)

Comments

• BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 534
    Madness. Any German speakers who can let us know if there's anything interesting in the text? e.g. why no photo?

Bob
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited April 2013
    ^ From Google:
    Welcome to ulbrichversand_de!

You are bidding on the Lego collectable figure series 10

"Mr. Gold"

Super Rare!

No. 0865/5000

Abgetütet individually with instructions and bottom plate.

Condition: New

Release Year: 2013

Warning: Choking Hazard! For children under 3 years not suitable!

And honestly, who wouldn't want to at least try to get $1,000 for that?
    andhe
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Matthew said:

^ From Google:

Welcome to ulbrichversand_de!
    ...Abgetütet individually with instructions and bottom plate.

Diggydoes said:

"Abgetütet" means it´s bagged (i guess into a ziploc)!
    There´s no word in the auction why the seller didn´t posted a actual Photo!

I would assume it's still sealed in the original package.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,546
    I've asked him for a photo, if only so we can see it here and I can use it in a news article.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,284
    No. 0865/5000? If this is real, I didn't know they were being IDed by number in each bag, that will make buying/bidding even more competitive and varying.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    prevere said:

If my 2-year-old swallowed that, I think that might be the only Lego fig I would want back.

And honestly, who wouldn't want to at least try to get $1,000 for that?

I could imagine alot of people with more money than sense spending 10 times that amount just to try and find one
  • weevinweevin Member Posts: 34
    Not sure how he would know it was #0865/5000 if it was still inside the original sealed package.
    dragonhawk
  • Marc2501Marc2501 Member Posts: 48
    This seller seems really serious, he has all german law templates.
    Also a 100% good Feedback.

I as a german think that this seller is "ok".

best regards
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    I wonder how many jars of Planters peanuts I can buy for the same price as a golden Mr. Peanut?
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 440
    Price's fair!

I'll be buying three of them.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    @weevin - I was not even aware that they were going to be numbered. This somehow makes me want them more...
    legoprods
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    I fear these will be too cool for some people to sell, despite the going rate. Thus, making them difficult to acquire at a reasonable price.

I'll probably wait a few years to get what I need.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited April 2013
    Unfortunately, given the super-rarity of Mr Gold, I can imagine an awful lot of them are going to be picked out of the distribution chain by well-placed employees, (not necessarily at the factory itself (though i'm sure it happens), but perhaps further down the chain, nearer to store stocking), long before we get our chance buying them on the shelf. So it might prove to be legit... in one way... but possibly less so in another.

I mean, just look at the boxes that vanish from WHSmith during the polybag giveaways, and they're just polys. Let's face it, if you worked at Argos (or some other store selling CMFs), would you be able to resist giving the packets a once over for Mr Gold, when there's only 5000 worldwide, maybe as few as a few dozen in your country? Honestly, I'd be sorely tempted. To most people, it's just money in a bag.

So I do hope TLG make an effort to investigate the Mr Golds that do pop up on ebay to ferret out the ones that might be linked to their warehouses and stockists (like other companies do - and they do, i've witnessed it several times).

Baaaaah, i really don't like this level of rarity, it's a fun idea in theory, but human avarice spoils it, so very many are going to be filtered out. It would have been better had they not announced Mr Gold at all, but kept it secret for people to discover naturally - just explaining the rarity on the Mr Gold inserts when you found one - then word would get out as they start appearing, and the search would begin... instead the prior news ensures there's going to be a lot of theft before he even gets to the store shelf.

Jenniandhecoachie
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    Anyone else hoping the number 5000 is just a marketing gimmick to get the consumers flocking out and trying to find the figure? I mean for all we know, LEGO could've have produced 10,000 Mr. Golds and stuck them in every 5 boxes.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited April 2013
    ^^ I see where your coming from, but I seriously doubt that many people (except perhaps some in the factories) would consider it worth their while to do that. Remember that feeling minifigs takes time and is difficult (or at the very least time consuming) for those lacking experience. I feel like that, coupled with the slim chances of actually finding one and the possibility of being caught would deter most people from trying that, at least on a wide scale.

I'm not saying it won't happen as I'm sure some store employees and probably customers are planning on avidly "searching for gold", but I'm pretty sure the vast majority will make it into customer's hands without being snatched by evil "profit hunters".
  • mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49
    Actually this seller is selling 2 of this Mr. Gold mini figures. One is 0865 and the other one is 0870.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I wonder what margin of error there is with regard to the weight of a seald CMF box is, is it close enough that 1 extra figure can be noticed with a good pair of scales? If you worked some where that sees a lot of these boxes that could be the easiest way to find one.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,958
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Pimping. I wonder how much 0001/5000 would go for, if they are numbered?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,827
    10 offers already and no actual picture. Are we in a bubble?!....
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,958
    Their other auction has pictures on it
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,869
    Shouldn't the jewel be in the top of the cane? Rather than waving it around like a chrome lightsaber.

Personally I think it looks horrid. And the whole messy process has put me off even more.

As for the numbered thing, there should be a code with it as well so people can log it on a part of the lego website. Will be interesting to see if people do this and where they turn up.
    legoprods
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    I haven't seen the quality close up of custom chroming (BL Chrome Bricks), but surely this is going to get faked massively.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Looks worse than I had imagined to be honest, the lightsabre and diamond look ridiculous in my opinion.

• brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 469
    Agree with most of the above, I think it looks awful and as such I don't feel like I need to get one.
    "custom" copies already selling on eBay. I heard it said that Lego doesn't care if people customize their own figs, but I don't think they were thinking along these lines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221215016426&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Is it wrong I think that one looks better than the real one?
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 810
    edited April 2013
    The sad thing is that fake looks better apart from the cane. So you aren't the only one!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Whilst I have zero interest in getting one of these, I do feel that some are over stating how bad this is (the custom is horrible imo by comparison) to make themselves feel better. Apart from the cane which looks stupid, the fig itself isn't that bad (given the picture probably isn't very good) although the tie/cravat looks out of place.
    pillpod
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Not sure what people were expecting with a gold chromed figure. I'm sure he would look "chromier" in different lighting. Looks fine to me except his accessory looks nothing like a cane to me. Would have been better off I think with a custom closed umbrella piece.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 826
    Does anybody reckon that TLG might keep a few of these figures and give them away in some lego competitions to lego fan sites (I also can't believe that1 of those figures has sold already)??
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,869
    ^ no. I'm thinking that they might want to wash their hands of the whole thing as soon as possible judging by the backlash!
    kezMarkey
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    edited April 2013
    prevere said:

"custom" copies already selling on eBay. I heard it said that Lego doesn't care if people customize their own figs, but I don't think they were thinking along these lines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221215016426&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:3160

Only 11 dollars shipping too.. woohoo...pass.
    I cannot believe two people bought them.. wonder if they did not read correctly and think they are actually Mr Gold
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited April 2013
    I hope Lego listen to the backlash but Im not holding my breath. Anyway, onto other things ...

One of the ebay ones comes with a code: MF-Y6YGYT7J and a symbol showing it unlocking something at

http://www.lego.com/minifigures

.. but I cant see anything on the site to unlock. Does anyone know what it does?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ The site will eventually have a place to track where all the Mr. Golds are found throughout the world. I'm guessing it doesn't go live until May.
    edited April 2013
    Apparently, Mr. Gold is really strong, despite needing a cane.

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Bios/Mr Gold.aspx
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    prevere said:

Apparently, Mr. Gold is really strong, despite needing a cane.

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Bios/Mr Gold.aspx

Tomahawk Warrior has the same stats and is way cheaper.

madforLEGO
    Best offer accepted...meaning what exactly. Inquiring minds want to know!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    Well I believe eBay used to show the offer that was accepted but I tihnk they stopped doing that
  • RykeerRykeer Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2013
    According to the link that @Gooker1 posted, it's showing that it sold for $2,999, but that price is also crossed out. Although it's likely that it sold for less than that, since it has the Best Offer option.
    I find that odd since eBay is based on auction selling, don't you?
  • RykeerRykeer Member Posts: 32
    Not really, since there's often an option for "Buy Now" depending on the seller. Although for an item like this, I do find it odd. I'd think they'd want it to go as high as possible.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    eBay recently changed what the selling price is for Best Offer auctions. You can only see what the price is if you actually submitted a Best Offer. I saw this after it ended, so unless someone from here or another board made a Best Offer, it could have sold for a few hundred dollars...although highly unlikely this early in the hunt.
    You sell something at auction - everyone sees the price. You sell something at buy it now - everyone sees the price.

I don't like that best offer accepted is hidden.

Note though that this was a completed auction, which I believe means the buyer paid. (As opposed to sold listings, where they haven't paid yet, right?). That tells me this sold for maybe $500 or lower.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited April 2013
    For a brief period earlier this year ebay let me search not just on 'completed listings' but also on 'sold items', and it showed the prices things actually sold for, including best offers. Ebay tend to stagger these experiments over time and across various sets of users, so have a look in your search filters, you might have that option, you never know.
    y2josh
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    According to TNB, it looks like it sold for $500. The eBay link was a CAD one, so perhaps they can see what it sold as in a Best Offer situation.

ebay.ca/itm/Lego-Series-10-71001-Mr-Mister-Chrome-Gold-IN-HAND-4628-sealed-bag-minifig-/290900229409?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item43bb013d21
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

For a brief period earlier this year ebay let me search not just on 'completed listings' but also on 'sold items', and it showed the prices things actually sold for, including best offers. Ebay tend to stagger these experiments over time and across various sets of users, so have a look in your search filters, you might have that option, you never know.

For the week or so 'Sold Items' actually showed up for me, I was really enjoying that they had added that option. It made research A LOT easier, and I'm not 100% sure why they took it away (though it could be a temporary test, as you said).