Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10179 and Friends - Going away party

LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
edited April 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Finally sold my UCS Falcon, but before it goes, I thought I'd take one last round of pictures. It's friends decided to throw it a going away party. :)

It is a bit bitter sweet, being perhaps the single most talked about set I own (with FB and DS coming in a close second). I personally think she's beautiful, no matter what Han says ("She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts")

I think she's beautiful! :) But as they say, parting is such sweet sorrow.

"Second star to the right and straight on till morning..."

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    So, you don't own a 10179 anymore?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    Why ever did you trade it away?

Anyway, nice photos, happy memories I suppose!
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Why did you had to part with it??? I consider you one of the luckiest one being able to play with this one mate....I think you have some super secret info over maybe Lego coming out with a new UCS version of Mil Falcon :P But good pictures :)
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,189
    Goodbye ol girl! Hope she is going to another loving home :)
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited April 2013
    From the title of the thread, I expected (and feared) pictures of the UCS Millennium Falcon being invaded by the Friends characters.

(breathes sigh of relief)
    plasmodiumBuriedinBricksOldfanEric
    @LukeSkywalker Good for you to come and show your appreciation to the ship that has saved your butt more times than you can count :)
    LukeSkywalker
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    @LukeSkywalker, I thought of the exact same thing! That's why I opened the tread. I just had to see that! But one big Falcon with 3 cute little baby Falcons following behind is even better!...(c;
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pitfall69 said:

So, you don't own a 10179 anymore?

Nope, all gone. I sold the last sealed set a month or two back, and this was my personal set, however the offer I received for it was simply too good to pass up.

While I'll miss it, there will be new sets to build and collect. For example, I still haven't built SSD, mostly for lack of space. I don't even own the B-Wing yet, again for lack of space (and of course waiting for a sale on it).

I also recently sold my UCS TIE Intercepter, UCS Y-Wing, and UCS Blockade Runner, all to a single member on this forum, for the same reasons. I'm finding that if you stuff too many sets on a single shelf, it goes from "amazing looking" to just "overcrowded looking". :)

Why ever did you trade it away?

1. I have completely run out of room to display sets, and I've decided not to take over the house with them.

2. Other than my wife and kids, everything in my life has a price, and in this case, someone offered me enough cash that I was happy enough to part with it.

Anyway, nice photos, happy memories I suppose!

Yep, it was fun to build, I got to scratch that itch. I'm glad I built it, but now it will go to a new home and I'll get to build something new.

I think you have some super secret info over maybe Lego coming out with a new UCS version of Mil Falcon :P

:) Nope, nothing like that. UCS Falcon only retired 3 years ago, so it is really way too soon to have another one.

That being said, since they have redone UCS X-Wing, I consider it a near certainty that they'll do another UCS Falcon at some point. Star Wars 7 comes out in 2-3 years, then 3 years after that, 8 comes out, then 3 years later, 9 comes out.

That is 11 years of new Star Wars movies, and since Han Solo will be in the next movie at least, I'm sure the MF will be back, so plenty of time to do another UCS Falcon.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,380

I think you have some super secret info over maybe Lego coming out with a new UCS version of Mil Falcon :P

That is 11 years of new Star Wars movies, and since Han Solo will be in the next movie at least, I'm sure the MF will be back, so plenty of time to do another UCS Falcon.
    Yes, I can even reveal a special/exclusive picture of the new UCS Millennium falcon due to come at us in 2020...

Set #10179-2, isn't it exciting?

... and yes, I'm still a bit bitter about the UCS X-wing rehash...
    BrickDancery2josh
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    "I just got a funny feeling... like I'm not going to see her again."
    edited April 2013
    samiam391 said:

Yes, I can even reveal a special/exclusive picture of the new UCS Millennium falcon due to come at us in 2020...

Set #10179-2, isn't it exciting?

... and yes, I'm still a bit bitter about the UCS X-wing rehash...
    @samiam391 - I hear this one will be chrome, though.
    What?... Chrome? Did someone say chrome?!

AND a Han Solo minifigure?

...sold.

y2josh
    Yup. The Han Solo is chrome, too... for some reason.
    edited April 2013
    y2josh said:

LEGO probably re-hashed this years exclusive and stuck him in the 2020 set. They did change his smirk by 1/100 of a degree though. I can't wait too add him to my collection.

• VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    LOL, people asking why trade/sell it? It's a Lego that's worth two mortgage payment's. Yes it's silly not to sell it. Think of all the Lego sets you could own with the 'value' of this one set. Everything in life has a price. EVERYTHING!
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    y2josh said:

That's not chrome, it's carbonite. Just polished to be really shiny.
    y2joshOldfan
    meyerc13 said:

y2josh said:

That's not chrome, it's carbonite. Just polished to be really shiny.
    That's what they should have done! Hoth Han in carbonite.
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    Just as I was about to finish my 99.98% color-correct bricklinked 10179! I begin to wonder if I'd have saved by just buying a new one. I don't want to know now :D Just a few more parts and it seems I'll be finally done.

I am however left with a lot of extra parts.. I guess I have either ordered A LOT MORE than I needed or I re-ordered stuff that I thought I didn't have..
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,081
    ^ didn't you keep a spreadsheet of all the parts you needed, and ticked them off as you ordered and then received the parts?
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    Yes, I used BrickStore to subtract orders I received. But, I am not the most organized person, so somewhere along the last year I might have skipped something..

Just some more 6x3 wedge right plates that I thought I had :)
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

That being said, since they have redone UCS X-Wing, I consider it a near certainty that they'll do another UCS Falcon at some point. Star Wars 7 comes out in 2-3 years, then 3 years after that, 8 comes out, then 3 years later, 9 comes out.

I know it's irrelevant to the topic, but the films are currently scheduled for two years intervals: 2015, 2017, and 2019.
    y2josh
    binaryeye said:

I know it's irrelevant to the topic, but the films are currently scheduled for two years intervals: 2015, 2017, and 2019.

I was not aware of that, thanks for the update...

That is a hard production schedule, doing them 2 years apart, but it is probably doable with the right budget, and Disney has that budget. :)
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    The real reason LFT is selling his SW ships is because he is trying to prevent the imminent attack to his Death Star.
    edited April 2013
    ^ agreed. LFT you shoud also double your imperial guard around those chocolate chip cookies. You never know when chrome Han might try to attack Emporer Hershey.
    ^ Not to worry... an entire legion of my best troops guards the cookies!
    ^Hopefully no one owns teddy bears in your house...
    Jonn420
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    That's the problem with the UCS ships-- they are just too big. That is unless you have a Lego museum room in your house. I keep moving my Imperial Shuttle around the home office, but I know it's eventually going to be sold off because it won't fit on a shelf.
    Size is indeed a problem, and we have two rooms of our house setup for LEGO. :)

The bigger issue is the number of sets, at some point keeping them "all" is just not reasonable. Sure, I'd love to, but I'd have to build another house to hold them all! :)

I do still want a UCS AT-AT like cavegod's, I swear I'm going to put it at the front door with a dog bowl full of LEGO for breakfast. :)
    y2josh said:

^Hopefully no one owns teddy bears in your house...

Ha! You should see my daughter's teddy bear collection. I should put the DS in the middle of the play room and put 50 teddy bears around it.

It would make for a great picture, but as my wife pointed out to me, "that sounds like a lot of work for an Internet forum". :)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    mathew said:

That's the problem with the UCS ships-- they are just too big. That is unless you have a Lego museum room in your house. I keep moving my Imperial Shuttle around the home office, but I know it's eventually going to be sold off because it won't fit on a shelf.

I can relate. My wife won't let me display any Star Wars or Space stuff in the public areas of the house - just city/town/train, etc. My #10212 has been floating from my office to my bedroon and is now in the garage collecting dust. I could bring it into my desk at work, but it would have to compete for space with #10225, #10189, and all 9 planet mini-builds.

:). You need a new wife!

Mine suggested that instead of selling the Falcon, that we use a TV wall mount and put it on the wall in the front entrance to our house.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78405

She thinks that looks much nicer than having it on the front table.

Of course, my wife was ok to give up the dining room completely to a LEGO room, so what can I say, she rocks! :)
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    My wife was also upset that I sold my UCS Falcon a few months ago. Being huge Star Wars fans, that was always our favorite. I then showed her how much Lego I could buy with the money it sold for, in addition to paying off a credit card. She was OK with it then...as long as i don't touch her Eiffel Tower. She knows me too well...that was next in line to go...darn.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Well my wife doesn't really want me to sell off my Lego sets. In fact she tells me not to. But I'm also aware of the money spent on the sets and I feel like once I've built and displayed them for awhile that it's fair to let them go.