Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bulk LEGO $9.99/ pound?

MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
Looks like legoland has bulk Lego for $9.99/ lb. is that a better deal than the PAB cups at the stores? I have no clue what the volume to weight ratio to dollar is for the PAB cups is. Does anyone know?

Comments

• dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Go to "Recent Discussions" and then the "Directory of Useful Forum Threads" and you'll find a couple of different links to discussions of buying in bulk and by the pound.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    Keep in mind the additional cost of an entry ticket to Legoland.
  • red237red237 Member Posts: 295
    Hi. You may find some interesting items in Legoland but in my experience the PAB cups are a much better deal in the BAM stores. Legoland by weight is a fortune in comparision, volume-wise
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    couple points: you can get into LegoLand CA for free. You tell them you wanna do some shopping inside, they sell you tickets, you get in, bada boom bada bing (ok, so I just watched Analyze That :) ) and you're done in under an hour and you exit, go to customer service and they refund your ticket. Also if you spend (IIRC) $25 or more, they also refund your parking.

Regarding the bricks they sell by weight... selection is kinda poor... I looked, and said... nah... plus as others said, it does end up being kinda expensive.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    I have never weighed my PAB cups, so I don't know my PAB cost by weight. A quick search (and calculator) tells me I can get 181 2x4 bricks in a pound. 2.5 grams per 2x4 brick = 0.00251 lbs. So 181 x 0.00251 = 1.

There's no way I could get that many 2x4s into a PAB cup, and small PABs cups are $7.99? Seems like a better deal than the PAB wall to me. Depends on the selection, though, so thanks for that, @ludzik.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 317
    The Legoland Discovery Center near me has a weight based PAB Wall. They had some nice parts but it was all useless in the end. Motorcycle frames but no wheels or bodies, plant stems but no flowers, axles but no wheels. Whenever a part requires another part, the normal stores are good about putting out both parts. Not so at LL. I don't think the employees care or even understand like the employ yes at other stores do.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    I would double check the price. When I was there it was $9.99 for a quarter of a pound. So it would be $40.00 a pound.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Yes, it's $39.96/lb. LBR stores at $70/box is far cheaper than buying by weight at LL. and to clarify ludzik's statement, you don't actually pay for the ticket to get in. They just imprint your credit card and charge it if you don't come out within an hour. So there is no hold on your funds for the ticket price.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    I will be at the park for a few days, so the entrance fee is already there (and was taken care of thanks to TLG)!
    I have a lot of bulk LEGO to buy since I'm BL'ing #3723, #3724, #10181 (slowly), #4000001, and all three LEGO vases.
    It's going to be raining packages this spring/summer at my house, but if I can pick up some good deals with parts, I'll go for it. Plus, most of these sets are heavy/dense, so shipping might be a bigger factor for me.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    I just weight part of what was in my PAB cup: 104 grey 1x4 (standard height) bricks. They weighed in at 6 (and change) oz. I had in there whole bunch of slopes as well as some corner grey pieces. Even assuming that the grey pieces were there by themselves I'm still ahead cause I only paid $7.99 and earned 5% in points.

@ DadsAFOL: they actually charge you for the ticket. I went there about a month ago and they told me that they have to sell me the ticket and then later they will refund me (which they did). Maybe they just used to imprint and people forgot to come out and "cancel" their stay/charge resulting in a full day's charge....

MorkMan: if you can, hit up the SD Lego Store (it's about 20~30 minutes south) and you can also hit up the MV Lego Store (about same distance north) and checkout their PAB walls. Also they are usually nice enough to check in the back for the parts you're interested in and will bring out a box for you to fill your cup if what you're after is not on the wall.... Oh yeah, you have 2 more stores that are a bit further.... Ontario Mills about 1hr inland from where you'll be at and South Coast plaza about 1 hr N form Legoland (again it also depends on the day and the time of the day). Also there is the lego store in DownTown Disney... (btw, if you leave Legoland and go N, you will pass MV in about 20~30 minutes N, then another 20 minutes N is SouthCoast plaza and another 25 minutes from there is Disneyland's Lego store).
  • LegoFansLALegoFansLA United StatesMember Posts: 4
    I will say it this way, PAB wall is by far the most cheapest way to get bulk LEGO usually can get it under 5c/pcs, however they are very limited in choice and you will need luck to get what you are looking for in the store.

LEGOLand, its not cheap however if you just want to get bulk of the same kind, for example 1x1 plate (this is the best value in my opinion) I get like 1000pcs of 1x1 black plate like $7? I cannot find any solid color 1x1 plate in any of S. California PAB Wall. However since they are by weight, so if you are trying to get pieces that is big then it can be very pricy.