Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AFOL's who love Friends; am I the only one?

Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 307
I've searched the forum on the topic "Friends" but didn't find significant discussions, so I'm starting one right now ;-)
In the past I collected Star Wars as well as Modular Buildings and Creator.
Four weeks ago I purchased my first Friends sets: #3939 and #41001. I was delighted to see so many new bricks and colours. OK, I don't particularly like the mini-dolls, although I admit that the design of these little females is very good and attractive to girls in the age of 6-14.
Then I bought 12 more Friends sets, most of them were just brilliant in a Lego-collector point of view. I've built 2 large MOC modular buildings with Friend interiors and it's amazing how well the Friends theme can fit into regular buildings.
I also think the price per piece is very good.
What is your overall AFOL opinion about Friends? Do you like it? Find it too childish? Or just WOW (like me)?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Silentmode does. Check his website for some great reviews of sets too (silentmode.tv).

I like them for parts.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl BordersMember Posts: 190
    I like the friends sets, much of the furniture can be used in my modulars, and they have some great pastel shades, and useful parts. I never buy my Lego at full price, but I feel they are slightly poorer value than some other sets, e.g creator sets.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    ^ agreed,. Whilst my daughter likes Friends much more than me, I do find there are some gems in the sets in terms of pieces and colours.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    I love the Friends sets! Cute animals, brilliant colors, realistic looking furniture and really great pieces. Be it the little picnic blanket or the ice cream stand, beautifully done.My 8 year old was raving about the microphone and piano in #3932.:-)) and I agreed. :-))

• SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 568
    ... I got beaten to it!

Yes I am a fan of the Friends theme, having bought almost all of the boxed sets and reviewing most of them. It's become more interesting than City (I'm also a fan of the Town theme).
  • ryanromusicryanromusic Member Posts: 27
    My wife and I have a few, we're enjoying them. Not going to buy the line or anything, but... The recent pool set is fantastic. My daughter loves it too. She's two, but she wants her "girls" and "pool." And they go "wheeee" down the slide. She adores playing with the pool and the creator Log Cabin.

Also she put the batcowl on a friends doll and Batman gets pretty hair. Or a bunny hat.

I actually really want the treehouse. It's just awesome looking. Replace the pink planks with brown ones, but otherwise, wow. Might get the karate studio and mia's room (drum kit).
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,593
    I love the Friends sets (in general). Like @SilentMode, I like the old-school Town sets (and Paradisa) and Friends is closer to those than the recent City sets.
    Sets like the treehouse, cafe, karate class, rehearsal stage, beauty shop, rising camp are just perfect for modifying into your own idea of a town layout and the interiors are just so detailed.
    Plus of course fab different colours and parts.
    I just love 'em. Can't wait for the high school!
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I like the some of the accessories, hair and a few other elements as ways to add details to my other buildings. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the colour scheme.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    the color scheme is the big blocker for me, but I might take a closer look next time I'm in the store.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    ^ I've started toying with the idea of recreating the town house from #10218 Pet Shop in one of those purple/pink shades that Friends seem to have a lot of.
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I quite like the colours and the look of the accessories they seem to create for the little girl figures. I just wish the figures where traditional LEGO minifigures and not the custom sized new ones like from Toy Story.

@Briking that would be a very very bright set Town House but very cool. I thought about building another town house just to go along side the current Pet Shop as it looks a little odd with just one house in between the Pet Shop and the Fire Brigade.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited April 2013
    My GF collects Friends and I mostly only watch her build, not join. But the Tree House is one of the best Lego trees of any theme so far. And the upcoming Yacht set is probably the best boat I've seen too, with the Creator Ferry coming close. Just wondering why they never made something that nice for City. And wishing they would do an Expert Creator Yacht that is even bigger.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Interesting thread....I need a suggestion....I gift my niece some Friends sets on and off, nothing big as shes slowly getting into it and loves this....so which sets are the best to be gifted apart from Mia's Bedroom, Stephanie Pet Petrol, and another same sized set I do not remember :P
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    What I highly appreciate is the innovation in themes. Granted I may not be a fan of a beauty salon, but they at least made something that wasn't a police or fire set. ;-)
    Karate, magic, science lab.... All the innovation in theme, also means a bit of a change in building/parts, which I also appreciate.
    edited April 2013
    @Coolsplash
    She might like #41001, #41002, #41003, #3933, #3932. My daughter ( just turned 8) loves them all. For display purposes and to reduce clutter she builds them on 16x16 plates. ( 4600613). She makes columns at the 4 corners of the base plate out of 2x2 bricks and stacks the sets one on top of the other.:-))
    Edit ^ 16x16 plate 91405 :-)

I love the Friends sets (in general). Like @SilentMode, I like the old-school Town sets (and Paradisa) and Friends is closer to those than the recent City sets.
    Sets like the treehouse, cafe, karate class, rehearsal stage, beauty shop, rising camp are just perfect for modifying into your own idea of a town layout and the interiors are just so detailed.
    Plus of course fab different colours and parts.
    I just love 'em. Can't wait for the high school!

I still have the beach and poolhouse baseplates from Paradisa... now thinking of doing some great new builds for friends to hang out in.

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    How can I not love it? It brings my 7-year-old daughter and I closer together through Lego. She loves the Lego anyways. But really have my eye on that high school coming out.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Have the magic set and love it; wife has all three limited edition animal sets and they're pretty cool. My three year old very much wants the pool to let his Chima animals have a swim. Not crazy about the mini-dolls, but smart move by Lego.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    I'm definitely hooked on the Friends sets. My only complaint is that there needs to be a bigger male presence in the line. Every female has male relatives and/or friends, and nearly every business has male employees. While I'm all for teaching girls they can be and do anything they want, they also need to know that in most careers they will have male bosses.
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 509
    Friends actually brought me out of my dark ages when my daughter was bought a set. I agree with almost everyone that the parts are great and the colour schemes a nice change. My next moc is set to be a modular using the parts from the cafe. Now, I wonder if the little one will notice if hers goes missing??
    edited April 2013
    Yes, there needs to be more males in Friends, just as there needs to be more females in other lines.

While I'm all for teaching girls they can be and do anything they want, they also need to know that in most careers they will have male bosses.

You can't be serious.
    JenniRosepookieEKSamdougtsjadeireneRedbullgivesuwindLegoFanTexas
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @brickedin She will! If she managed to lose it herself she may not notice its absence but if you take it it's inevitable :).
    brickedin
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 568

I actually really want the treehouse. It's just awesome looking. Replace the pink planks with brown ones. . .

If anyone hasn't done this already, I'm game.

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    As a male AFOL, I found the whole concept of the Friends minifigures rather abhorrent - they're just not Lego in my eyes! However, the rest of it is very interesting.

I particularly like the first series of Friends "animal" polybags (possibly because they don't contain any minifigures!)
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @Eksam, she has #3932 and #3933. I will be gifting her the #41001 and #41002 this month and will get her the upcoming Friends Yacht set for her birthday at end of this year :) Thanks for the suggestions!

• carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Being an adult male AFOL of "a certain age" whose main interest is collecting/customising minifigs, I dislike the minidolls, but love the minifig-compatible new hairpieces; the new range of coloured bricks this theme provides is also appealling. Consequently, my Friends purchases are limited to small sets and polys, for the parts.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,915
    I love the Friends theme in principle and the set desgins tend to be quite stellar. But I don't follow the story and don't collect the sets. Yet.

It's hardly the only theme I feel this way about. I love LEGO City sets and LEGO Star Wars sets, but pretty much never buy them. Although I admire the designs, I'm not passionate about the themes the way I am with themes like Ninjago and Hero Factory, and the themes are vast enough that collecting even just the sets I like best would take a HUGE bite out of my budget.

This year's Dolphin Cruiser is mighty tempting, though...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    I would like to see a "Friends" modular. Olivia's House doesn't count. But a Flower Shop and Arboretum would fit the bill.
    @prevere I've bought 3 of Olivia's house with intentions of making it a modular. I'm a bit undecided as to the style of the house and whether I'll hinge it or do 1st floor/2nd floor with a deck over a garage.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Does anyone like the sets for what they are supposed to be or just for the "useful pieces"? I read a lot of "I bought this set to get this piece" or "buying this set to make so and so out of the pieces". Does any collect these sets like say Star Wars? Do any AFOL's make a Friends layout?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    jdylak said:

Does anyone like the sets for what they are supposed to be or just for the "useful pieces"? I read a lot of "I bought this set to get this piece" or "buying this set to make so and so out of the pieces". Does any collect these sets like say Star Wars? Do any AFOL's make a Friends layout?

We build the sets and like them. I had to take a couple apart for space though. I think they're great.
    @jdylak I like them for what they are for my daughter. Personally I prefer more complicated builds, and really prefer to MOC.

I think that it's more like collecting City than Star Wars, simple builds that can be put together in a town.

At the last Brickshow I was at there were some Friends displays, not many but they've only been out for a year.
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    I just don't see why they made the minidolls and not just female minifigures.
    Is the Friends range the same scale? We are building a City and thought about getting a Friends building, will it fit in perfectly? We just won't use the minidolls, they don't look good with minifigures imo.
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    BRC said:

I just don't see why they made the minidolls and not just female minifigures.
    Is the Friends range the same scale? We are building a City and thought about getting a Friends building, will it fit in perfectly? We just won't use the minidolls, they don't look good with minifigures imo.

Same scale, minifigs will work with them. Barbie recently came out with mini-Barbies. There's Polly Pocket, something called Peek-a-Boo, etc. A ton of miniature dolls that girls love. LEGO was smart to get in on that action, but without disrupting the integrity of LEGO--everything is completely compatible except the dolls. As I said in an earlier post, my son loves the Friends pool set (in pictures--we don't have it yet), but wants to have Cragger and Laval play in it. He likes the Chima line, but wants them to have livs outside of their vehicles and fights. He has no interest in the minidolls, but likes the sets. Maybe it's weird, I think it's cute (he's only 3, so whatever).
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    Ok, thanks @kooz, I might get some of the Fritends sets then, I have daughters but I just can't stand the minidolls! I see why Lego went that route as you say.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

While I'm all for teaching girls they can be and do anything they want, they also need to know that in most careers they will have male bosses.

For awhile, perhaps, but this is quickly changing.

I have no doubt that within my lifetime, we'll have a female President. Already many large companies are run by women. While Yahoo and HP are easy examples, perhaps the best example is the "old guard" of IBM, which now has a women at the helm.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,054
    Don't forget eBay.
    I do collect them because I like the buildings. Unfortunately until I find someone to buy all my yarn I cannot expand into a true layout, but I buy all the sets so I can build my town when I have the room.

I stand corrected, there are more and more corporations run by women. Since I haven't been in the job market for a dozen years i pay less attention.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,915
    Wasn't sure whether to make a new topic for this, but I figured it might as well go here since that'll at least get it noticed by people who are interested. Cache.LEGO.com has high-res images of all the new Friends sets besides the animal packs. Links to all the pics can be found here.

Dolphin Cruiser continues to be amazing. It's got two ice cream cones, male and female dolphins, lots of beautiful building elements, two speakers with an MP3 player attached to play tunes, and of course a male mini-doll in a wonderful polo shirt. The only major disadvantage comes in the form of the box's disclaimer: "Ship does not float".

There are some great sweets in the bakery, including star-shaped cookies and a GIANT CAKE. There are some things in the window I can't identify, though — my twin brother saw one and asked "is that some kind of flaming whoopie pie?", a description that manages to sound a lot dirtier than it is. XD

Andrea's Bedroom has some great parts and a lot of play value though I'm a bit shocked that she apparently sleeps on a glorified sofabed. It's not like I think that's unspeakable; it just catches me by surprise that a set with "bedroom" in its name doesn't have a traditional bed.

The beach buggy set is nice. The palm tree is not perfect (the leaves are attached in a way that makes them stick off a bit oddly-- I'd think the 5x7 "finger leaf" piece might have worked better at this scale), but it's imaginative. The fruit stand looks appealing despite having one of those radioactive green ice pops that I can't help but find unnerving. And the buggy itself is quite creative in its build. Overall, though, I find this the least interesting of the new sets.

The school is naturally outstanding. Apparently the science class shares space with the math class (judging by the textbooks on the shelf) and the music class shares space with the art class. On one hand, this might not be practical for a real high school, but on the other hand, if you buy two of the sets you can easily give each classroom a full-size class space. It's without a doubt one of the best Friends sets for doubling up.

Overall these sets continue to deliver a stunning level of detail and lots of play opportunities. It makes me wish I collected these sets myself, or had a female cousin within the LEGO System age range to buy them for!

I stand corrected, there are more and more corporations run by women. Since I haven't been in the job market for a dozen years i pay less attention.

My only complaint is that there needs to be a bigger male presence in the line. Every female has male relatives and/or friends, and nearly every business has male employees. While I'm all for teaching girls they can be and do anything they want, they also need to know that in most careers they will have male bosses.

It isn't a question of who does or doesn't run corporations.
    It is the implication that there needs to be a change for a six year old girl's toy ("There needs to be a bigger male presence in the line"), not because that would enhance playability or fairness, but because these little girls need to be educated at this age about the supposed gender of their future boss.

@Aanchir, thanks for the pictures.

Those are definitely high resolution!
    I've shown the previous pictures to my kids in the past. The cruiser/high school had the biggest impact. All of my kids thought the cruiser was great, and all of them continue to like the animal packs. I personally think the high school is small, but I understand why they made it that way. I agree it is scalable, though. I like the fact that it is not all females.

Overall, what I like about the line is that they continue to be different than what is out there. The amount of innovation in this line compared to City is quite the difference.

• Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 307
    I see that the Friends theme has many friends and I'm definitely not the only one!
    Thanks for all who commented so far. I just uploaded one of my Friends MOC's to flickr, you can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157633244575654/
    Jenni
    That's awesome, you've given me some ideas, thanks :)
  • funkygallofunkygallo Member Posts: 24
    I'm in too. I like the new color and the furniture.
  • dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    The friends sets are great. I enjoy building them. My daughter loves the mini dolls. I do not usually roll play but prefer to build. Subbing in the minifigs for the dolls is easy enough to do.