Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Building up inventory for microbuilding, modulars, etc.

Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has thought about generic part kits/sets that are specialized for certain purposes... like microbuilding or modulars?

I bought a couple extra Fire Brigades, Pet Shop, Grand Emporium, etc. to part out for other modular type buildings. When I order on Bricklink, I'll usually add some microbuilding type pieces like 1x1 or 1x2 plates and bricks, etc. and some modified bricks so I can build at 90 angles.

Does anyone have any other methods they use?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,917
    I get virtually all mine from BL. I also have a "smalls" box for when I part out sets. I rarely sell the 1x1 bricks or smaller parts just for this reason.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The best single set for this purpose would be the Mini-Modular set. Lots of 1x1 and 1x2 plates in high quantity and wide color variety.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    Pick a brick wall in LEGO stores can be a great way to get 100's of small parts for cheap.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    The $7.99 bags at the Lego store used to be my way of getting spare parts for the kids to build, which included microbuilds. I bought the mini-modular for the reason BrickDancer mentioned. The brick wall and clearances are how we get parts now.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    So like getting lots n lots of 1x1 and 1x2 bricks would help? any other bricks which are mostly used for MOC's? is there a way to figure this out?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    For microbuilding having a large inventory of all of the different 1x1 and 1x2 plates and 1x1 bricks including the modified versions of them (ones with clips, handles hinges, blocks with 1,2 or 4 studs on the sides, headlight bricks etc) are all good things to have.

"Used for MOCs" is not a small subset of parts. It depends on what type of MOC you are doing. Modular style MOC's tend to need a lot of the various 1x? bricks and plates for walls etc plus all the Microbuilding stuff.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    You can also check the inventory of sets #9324, #20201 and #21102, all great micro build sets. Those inventories would give you an idea of type of parts used.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    I did pick up a couple extra mini modulars sets and some extra modulars so it's a good start. I know it's two different kinds of building but I'm looking more for theory than anything else.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,917
    edited April 2013

So like getting lots n lots of 1x1 and 1x2 bricks would help? any other bricks which are mostly used for MOC's? is there a way to figure this out?

For microbuilds, yes. There is no hard and fast rule. The simplest way to figure out what you need is to start building and see what you use.

I found Wolverine's Chopper #6866 was quite useful for parts. It comes with a lot of dark red cheeses (micro roofs) and a few other smaller plates and such like. It also comes with some larger LBG 1x? which went into the castle MOC kit. I got them on clearance, and selling off the minifigs easily pays for the set, so loads of free parts.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @graphite, I do agree as MOCing does take alot of bricks/parts and especially if you go into detailing then sky is the limit :P I am mainly interested in building MOCs in City and Castle theme.
    @ColoradoBricks thanks for the suggestions :)
    @CCC you are right about the #6866 as that set I had built (mainly because my son was sooo excited for the mini figures) and I did realize if I should get 10s or 20s of these sets it can do good. Same case with Uruk Hai Army set due to the Castle walls and at least 2 x #9474 sets....but will keep my brethren posted on this :)