Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anybody seen any Lego items on the U.S. show "Toy Hunter"?

Just curious.....I've watched about 10 or so episodes of this series, and as yet have never seen any Lego items highlighted. Is it just a matter of Lego being down the collectible pecking order when action figures, board games, dolls and the like are involved?

I enjoy the show a lot (despite being very formulaic) especially when there are finds that I used to have as a kid also. I just wish there was SOME Lego presence to it.

Comments

• flyernutflyernut Member Posts: 12
    I like the show, but I think it caters to toys that are long gone. You can pretty much replicate most old Lego sets, but it'll be hard to find my 1974 Munro Bobby Orr table hockey game!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    yes, but i dont remember the episode. Im sure a web search would find out pretty quickly.
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 292
    LEGO might have been seen in the background, but it hasn't been featured on the show yet. It seems the main focus of the show has been action figures. For me, it's fun to see all the toys I had as a kid.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Before turning back to Lego...avid SW collector. I've got a lot of that stuff in some of those episodes. NERD RICH! toot toot! haha, i'll never get rid of the stuff though. Especially with little Lego counterparts now
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    I personally think it's a few things:

1. The host of the show (Jordan) probably not being a huge LEGO nut himself.

2. Producers of the show wanting to keep the toy content as "American" as possible.

3. True LEGO collectors won't part with their collections.

My guess is the next season of the show will feature some LEGO.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,366
    True collectors of anything won't part with their collection. Lego is not special in that sense.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    I've seen every episode and I don't think a Lego set was featured. There is another show Collection Intervention and I believe the first show featured a woman and her Star Wars collection. I saw the Death Star II on a shelf with her other Star Wars collectibles and it looked sealed. She was having a hard time parting with some loose figures. The Death Star looked to be the most expensive thing she had on her shelf, yet it wasn't featured.
    I have seen every episode of Pawn Stars as well and not one Lego set has been featured. Transformers, Star Wars and other toys have been featured, but not any Legos. I'm waiting for someone to bring in a graded First Edition UCS MF.
    edited March 2013
    CCC said:

True collectors of anything won't part with their collection. Lego is not special in that sense.

I guess the people posting in the Marketplace aren't true collectors :P

• ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I watch all those shows like listed plus the storage hunter shows and others, and the only show I've seen Lego "featured in" was SHIPPING WARS where they had large life size lego displays that needed shipped to some Lego museum in the midwest
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,382
    edited March 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

CCC said:

I guess the people posting in the Marketplace aren't true collectors :P

Some are, we're just re-selling unwanted multiples as well to fund the true collection ;)

• zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    I wonder if the companies/brands shown on these shows pay money to be featured. If so, it wouldnt surprise me a bit if LEGO was like, "No thanks."

As popular and long-running a toy LEGO is, there's no way they don't pop up more often.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2013
    I am questioning the integrity of that show... That Toy hunter guy bought a M.A.S.K. 1987 Laser Command Set boxed for $70 from the guy who actually designed it.. Now that piece boxed is worth around $600 to $800, in fact I just recently sold a complete(but used) Laser command set without the box on Ebay for $294.00...

http://coolandcollected.com/toy-hunter-prehistoric-pennsylvania-episode-recap-and-review/
    Zeya
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    Is the show still airing new episodes?
    I don't know.. I have my DVR set to record them, but there hasn't been a new one on recently..
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    I'm sure that this show is staged like many of the other so-called "reality" ones. Still would be fun to watch.
    Zeya
    I'm sure they actually go in and hunt for all the toys, but this probably takes hours. Then they go back and just focus on the toys he found.
    I know it's staged and all... I am just talking about the fact that they are Waaaaay underpricing things on that show... This Toy Hunter guy is more of a low baller than the guys on Pawn Stars...
    Yeah, because he has too. Everytime he goes to sell what he just bought, people try and get him to sell the item for way less than what he is asking.
    madforLEGO
    edited March 2013
    Well for example that M.A.S.K. Laser Command set, he asked the guy who owned it if would be willing to sell it and the guy had this whole story on how he designed it and blah, blah, blah, and then he said he would sell it for like $150.. When he said $150, my eyes jumped out of my head like a Looney Toons character because I had just sold that set "Loose" with no box for almost $300.. Then the Toy hunter character says, "well the corner of the box has a slight crease, so that will hurt the value, how about $50?" then they agree on $70... I am thinking GTFO of here.... XD...... Then he goes on the say, "I should make $150 on this rare set easy".. LOL.. Yeah, you sure will...

It happens...
    Yeah... I know.. ;)
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    TBF, on a number of occasions he does offer them more than what their asking prices are. He of course knows the rarity of an item, whereas the seller usually doesn't. It's still a lowball offer, but at least the seller thinks they're making out like a champ....until of course they watch the show and see how much they could've really sold it for :)
    edited March 2013
    It was just so weird that I sold the rarest M.A.S.K. toy that there was for almost $300 and then literally a few days later, I am watching "The Toy Hunter" buying it in the box, not only from a guy who worked for Kenner, but the guy also helped design it... For $70...

Here is the vid of the Toy that I sold... I used the video in the auction listing to show that it worked..

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    Cool. I had quite a few MASK toys, but I don't remember this one. I always thought that the MASK toys were a little underrated. What's neat about them is that they transformed usually with one or two button pushes. This made them more fun to play with. Transformers on the other hand required multiple twists and turns to change them from one thing to another. Nothing like the cartoon where Optimus Prime flipped from semi truck to robot in two seconds.
    I sold off my entire collection of M.A.S.K. stuff last fall piece by piece for well over $1,200... I realized that I had another addiction that needed fed... ;)
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I just saw the promo's for the new season of Toy Hunter and sure enough he is hawking over a nice big pile of vintage LEGO sets....the main one I noticed being a nice Kings Castle still in the box.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 817
    While attending NYCC I sat in on the Toy Hunter panel and when he asked about LEGO I started to hoot and holler and many others joined in. If I remember correctly he said he'd have LEGO in the next season.
    This is great news. Now we just need Collection Intervention to go over someone's house with a huge Lego collection.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    Or for the show Hoarders to go to someones house that is overflowing and all cry as they back up the dumpsters to clean out the house
    ^That show is awful. I can see the owner urinating into Bionicle tubes...yuck.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    The California version of Storage Wars had a "Lego" auction once. They actually mentioned the lego, but nothing in detail. On the right-side of the storage unit were tubs and tubs of Lego. Made me drool. That might have been the episode when they also found Magic the Gathering cards? Memory is foggy this morning, though.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    krklint said:

The California version of Storage Wars had a "Lego" auction once. They actually mentioned the lego, but nothing in detail. On the right-side of the storage unit were tubs and tubs of Lego. Made me drool. That might have been the episode when they also found Magic the Gathering cards? Memory is foggy this morning, though.

I remember one of the storage auction show having at least 7 tubs of the Lego system bricks on a shelf but they never showed the contents.

As far as toy hunter, i don't remember anything so far but there is a new season starting on wednesdays so maybe this season will bring something.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,531
    edited April 2013
    If you see the adverts for Toy Hunter for the new season you see him shaking hands over a pile of LEGO boxes (looks to be Classic Space if I saw correctly)
  • ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2013

I am questioning the integrity of that show... [...]

mathew said:

I'm sure that this show is staged like many of the other so-called "reality" ones. Still would be fun to watch.

The show has to be staged. In reality if the host drove all the way to Nebraska only to buy two scooby-doo dolls for 80 bucks, he'd be out a lot of money on gas alone. It's all carefully crafted for the camera. The collector/seller people are "getting theirs", one way or another. Most likely, the producers reimburse them some cash for selling a couple items for them.

I'd probably watch the Lego episode. But I would advise taking it with a whole jar of salt. He'll probably buy a batch of retired, boxed Lego sets "for a song". It's just crafted entertainment to pique viewers' interest. (Hey, I have some of that in the closet!)

• VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    ^No! Everything you see on T.V. is real! I promise! lol.... O_o
    Sorry for the poor picture quality.
    So. I saw the first 2 Episodes today and no Lego. This was in a commercial.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    One of them is #6080.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited April 2013
    The show is staged; notably the "buyers," who are often just people found day or the shoot. I was once asked to fake being a buyer for an expensive Transformers toy, and I don't care for any toys outside of LEGO.

Further, the prodco pays all the expenses associated - that includes the money for buying the toys (if any), travel, renting a toy show booth, etc., etc.

This goes for any reality show, not just Toy Hunter.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited April 2013
    ^ I don't really mind that they get paid and all the travel and even bank roll is paid by the show. What I'm not interested in are the shows which are completely manufactured, think Repo Men & Storage Hunters, all paid actors etc.

I don't mind American Pickers and Storage Wars, these are about the only two shows of this type that I watch with any regularity and from what I read the people in the show actually did what they do in the show before there was a show. I find the people in these two shows somewhat interesting and realistic (even though there are some scripted bits). If I found out 100% that the items they come across are planted and they don't actually buy the items they come across I'm pretty sure I'd lose interest, but so far I haven't seen any hard proof*, other then people complaining on the Internet and of course Dave Hester. I haven't seen Toy Hunter so am not sure what it is like.

* (Note: I haven't really gone looking for proof, so it may exist, so please don't shoot me if it does :)
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I was wondering that as well. We are big Toy Hunter fans at our house as well as American Pickers. Last season's Toy Hunter, his season culminated in the NYCC show where he sold $15,000k work of merchendise. Now, even if the Production Company funded the majority of his travel and purchasing, this would hardly have been a worth while effort for anyone to undertake from a financial perspective.

I am 41 years old and enjoy looking at the old toys I had when I was a kid and I like Jordan Hembrough (the host), but the economic viability of what he does without the TV station subsidising his travel is suspect.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @Basta - the one show that has been shown to be a hoax is Pawn Stars. There is a website out there that debunks several of the bits on that show.

http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03/pawn-stars-is-fake/
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Basta said:

I don't mind American Pickers and Storage Wars, these are about the only two shows of this type that I watch with any regularity and from what I read the people in the show actually did what they do in the show before there was a show. I find the people in these two shows somewhat interesting and realistic (even though there are some scripted bits). If I found out 100% that the items they come across are planted and they don't actually buy the items they come across I'm pretty sure I'd lose interest, but so far I haven't seen any hard proof*, other then people complaining on the Internet and of course Dave Hester. I haven't seen Toy Hunter so am not sure what it is like.

Keep in mind that the people on Storage Wars are paid $30,000 per episode, plus the cost of the lockers is picked up as well.

It is real, in that they really used to do that before the show, but now their real jobs are being on the show.

Barry, the Collector, is actually a long time friend of the producer and was asked to come do the show as a favor to him, he really does have money, having sold his food business for many millions, this is just something fun for him to do.

Jerrold and Brandi are not married, but do live together and have a son together, they also really do have a store and you can go meet them, but the store no longer has to make money, because of the show.

Darrel really is a crazy old coot, but he has been doing it the longest, he used to sell stuff at the flea markets, don't know if he still does, but I doubt it.

They might all just donate it all to goodwill now for all I know. :)

Keep in mind when watching what they pay for lockers, the show costs $300-400K per episode to produce. :)
    What about Auction Hunters? That show looks really staged, but on one episode they were on a stage and had to use their knowledge to determine the value of the items on stage by the end of the episode or something. With actual collector's watching.
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    I noticed some Lego Indiana Jones sets in the background of the Virginia segment last night. I would've offered $60 for that Temple Escape set :)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Pitfall69 said:

What about Auction Hunters? That show looks really staged, but on one episode they were on a stage and had to use their knowledge to determine the value of the items on stage by the end of the episode or something. With actual collector's watching.

There tend to be parts of every show that are "real". For example, Storage Wars, you can actually go to the real auctions for the lockers you see on the show, those are public auctions and anyone can go. Most people get really bored really fast, because of the slow pace for the cameras. They shoot, then reshoot, then stop, then shoot some more, it takes awhile to do just a few lockers because of the production.

As for Auction Hunters, the whole idea is to create entertainment, so if they can put a bit of drama and reality into it, that makes the show that much more exciting.

But you shouldn't believe much of any of it, everyone on there is being paid to be on there, in one form or another.

I love Pawn Stars, but I'm under no illusion that the people coming in or the stuff is really random, it has all been pre-screened and picked by the producers. You can go to the store on shooting days and they kick almost everyone out and control it to allow filming to take place. Rick and family has really been there 20 years, they are known in Vegas as being the "weird" Pawn Shop, but the show itself is of course heavily staged.

The easiest example is Survivor. The whole idea and pitch of that show was to put a dozen people on an island and see who would survive, but of course no one can be in real danger, and of course the camera crews are standing right there. As proof, the French Survivor was canceled after a death on the show, and that wasn't even doing something extreme, it was a silly tug-of-war game on the beach!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/french-survivor-season-canceled-death-430640
    There should be Brickset Survivor. Who amongst us would be on the island?
    Legoboy
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited April 2013
    I realise that these shows are now what brings in the money for them, and as I mentioned I am fine with that, I just like to know that they are actually bidding on real lockers with real "unknown treasures inside".

Pawns Stars is something I also watch occasionally, I’m all so aware of the way this show works. It’s quite obvious that they would never make any money in the real world if they had to call an "expert" in every time someone brought something in, they’d have to pay the expert out of their own pockets etc. I have read that the store is basically a tourist attraction now days, filled with merchandised for the show.

On Survivor, I have always though that doing some type of ultimate Survivor where they get people who are actually somewhat versed in survival technics and actually give them nothing, except maybe a flint and pocket knife would be cool. From the series I have watch it still has to be a little tough as most people seem to lose a lot of weight during it.

On Brickset Survivor I assume the immunity idol would be made from Lego :)
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USA.Member Posts: 898
    Pitfall69 said:

There should be Brickset Survivor. Who amongst us would be on the island?

Put me on that ABS island!