Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Incorrect dates on Samsonite sets

LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 553
I was browsing through the Samsonite section to see if I could help with any images there and noticed several incorrect dates on these sets. I can proved links to Samsonite catalogs images if needed.

First Reversible Power Unit 107 was released in 1968 not 1971. Bricklink has the same mistake.

Next Imagination sets 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105 were all released the same year. I believe these were released in late 1971, but were primarily sold in 1972 as they first show up in the 1972 catalogs. So I guess the correct year is 1971.

Comments

• LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 553
    Well, I can see this had gone over like lead balloon. These are simple mistakes the someone made years ago. Everyone else keeps copy it from each other because they assume the original is right. Come on, let's make this simple fix and stop passing on bad information. To help make my point here are some Samsonite catalog images.

First is the1968 Dealer Catalog and a 1968 FAO Schwarz catalog. Both show the 107 Reversible Power Unit for sale in 1968, well before '71. Nor this is marked as new in the 1970 Dealer Catalog.

Next is 1972 Dealer Catalog and 1972 FAO Schwarz catalog. Again these show the Imagination sets 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105 all being released the same year and before '73. The packaging is inconsistent with earlier Samsonite packaging styles and was only used by Samsonite when they were dumping their remaining inventory.

While on the topic Samsonite sets, I spotted major error. 112, there is little correct about this entry. The set is a Samsonite accessory and was only sold in the US. The year is wrong, was released at the same time as the Imagination sets, see the '72 Dealer catalog or '72 catalog. And finally it these base plates are 40x40, not 50x50. This is only know set to have had this base plate.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 609
    Let @Huw know directly...he's pretty diligent in his desire to keep Brickset up to date...this post probably just got lost in the pre-April Fool's Day rush.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,014
    I did miss this thread, thanks for re-awakening it.

The 10x sets you list above are shown in the Collector book as having a release date of 1973. That book is the closest we have to a 'bible' although it is not faultless.

If I were to send you a spreadsheet of all Samsonite sets would you be willing to check all the dates against these catalogues?

I've changed the size of the baseplate in 112: the Collector book agrees with you about the size.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 553
    Absolutely. It shouldn't take too long. I've been looking up this catalog information for more than a year so I'm pretty familiar with it. Should I sent you an e-mail or do you have my info?

The Collector book is good, but it has a number of errors. The first edition is almost a joke it has so much many mistakes, not just early era sets. The second is clearly better but still has a lot errors. A lot of it's info clearly comes from BrickLink. LUGNET/Peeron has different errors.

I noticed with the first edition that the it, BrickLink and LUGNET/Peeron didn't always agree. When I realized the catalogs I had didn't always match I started my own research.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,014
    Thanks, email on its way...