Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

9516 sold out on many sites

Comments

• Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Hysterical. These will be readily available - and likely at a nice discount on Amazon - soon enough again.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited April 2013
    Ma1234 said:

Hysterical. These will be readily available - and likely at a nice discount on Amazon - soon enough again.

I think they'll be readily available again, but I'm not as sure we'll see heavy discounts on them again, which is a bit of a bummer, because I assumed these would be easy to pick up during the typical summer clearances... but I'm not so positive about that anymore.

I'm half tempted to go get the ones off the shelf at my local Wal-Mart at $94 just so I have them later. Maybe if they're still hanging out this weekend...
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    Yes, the discount is what I question. I'm not sure if it will get as low as the current Target online price. It is readily available on the Lego site right now.
    He built Rancor Pit this weekend, which explains his want of Jabba's Palace, but yes, it is still quite hysterical.
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    Like I said in the other thread, I picked up 3 at WM for 20% off, flipped 2, and am hanging on to the last one (which I now got for even cheaper when you add the profit from the other 2) for down the road.

If you see any at a discounted rate, go ahead and scoop them up... I don't think you'll see this one heavily discounted anymore.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    This set is now number 2 on LEGO S&H best sellers.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Back to 29 in stock at Amazon. :) They keep getting some in here and there, then selling them out.

LEGO should send a thank you gift to the people in Turkey who complained about the set. :)
    tamamahmpharmjod
  • asmodaiasmodai PortugalMember Posts: 16
    ^ I would love a declaration that due to the increase in sales caused by the complaints they would now keep the set in production for a longer time... :-)
    sidersddSupersympa
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited April 2013
    ^^ I got the feeling somebody liked these stock countdowns more than anyone else ;)
    I would guess that Amazon is seeing returns trickle in from people who realized that, at retail, they're really not making a ton of quick cash off this set, though that's purely conjecture.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,878

Back to 29 in stock at Amazon. :) They keep getting some in here and there, then selling them out.

LEGO should send a thank you gift to the people in Turkey who complained about the set. :)

They were in Austria.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    edited April 2013

Yes. It was a Turkish group in Austria, thus some of the confusion.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Turkeys in Australia?!?
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,335
    This is hilarious.

An article, meant too damage LEGO's reputation, is boosting their sales.

The LEGO marketing team must be giggling in their swivel chairs, considering they have apparently the easiest job in the world right now.

Even when negative articles are written, LEGO sells even faster.
    samiam391 said:

I wonder how much the "uproar" over Friends last year actually caused people to become aware of it, then buy it, because of those "negative posts and reviews"?
    edited April 2013

samiam391 said:

I wonder how much the "uproar" over Friends last year actually caused people to become aware of it, then buy it, because of those "negative posts and reviews"?
    @LegoFanTexas, that comment was geared towards Jabba's Palace, not every single negative article written towards/about LEGO.

Obviously, LEGO articles are a very broad topic, that have had both their positive and negative influences on the LEGO company.

I'm merely addressing the topic in question on the thread, nothing broader :o) Perhaps I should have been more clear, my apologies.
    ^ No worries, I was just tossing it out there.

There is a saying that there is no such thing as bad press. :)

BTW, 18 back on Amazon. :)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    I listed and sold all my stock yesterday/today in a matter of hours for $174 shipped each. Found a couple more at target for $87 and sold those too. People are nuts. :)
    That's just crazy. What site did you sell them from and where did you ship them to?
    Bandit said:

I listed and sold all my stock yesterday/today in a matter of hours for $174 shipped each. Found a couple more at target for $87 and sold those too. People are nuts. :)

I agree, I did the same, people are crazy. :)
    Wow. That is crazy. Sheesh. Makes me wish I resold things.
    ^ After fees and taking into account the potential cost to replace those sets, it isn't as pretty as it looks. :)

I figure I'm making $40 a set, when all is said and done. Nice, but not as impressive as the raw numbers look.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Pitfall69 said:

That's just crazy. What site did you sell them from and where did you ship them to?

Amazon. Shipped all over the US. 'All my stock' being 5, including my personal copy I hadn't opened yet, as I had no reason to have had very many of these at this point. The crazy thing is these have been available for msrp on [email protected] this whole time.
    Pitfall69
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    ^ That's the thing that really kills me. Are people just not aware that lego has their own online store??
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

^ That's the thing that really kills me. Are people just not aware that lego has their own online store??

Correct, many are not aware, or are lazy, or don't care. A fool and his money and all that...
    Pitfall69
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I see these sets everywhere. My local Target had like 4 of them, the Toys R Us had a few, my two local Meijers had a couple each. People are crazy to buy them above MSRP.
    One guy on EBay has it Buy it Now for $600

I see these sets everywhere. My local Target had like 4 of them, the Toys R Us had a few, my two local Meijers had a couple each. People are crazy to buy them above MSRP.

Same here... though TRU by me is selling them for $159.99... so maybe that's just what people think the price is supposed to be.
    edited April 2013
    ^This might be the one time TRU will actually help someone ;)

...resellers that is.
    adol7
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    Back in stock at Walmart.com for 20% off.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ Thanks @Zon
    As many have mentioned, it is the irony or ironies.
    1 - The mosque complaint is made about the JP set, I imagine in hopes of having the set removed from production.
    2 - Because of the complaint there is a believable April's Fool joke which goes viral.
    3 - Now the set is flying off of shelves, and selling on eBay for a lot above RRP, although the set isn't EOL.

Saying that the mosque complaint backfired would be an understatement.
  • psychopuppetpsychopuppet Member Posts: 71
    I ordered one from Walmart just incase I change my mind about wanting one later.
    ^ Yup, the WM price is a very good one, especially at this time. Not as low as what it once was ($84) on Amazon, but still a good price.

As many have predicted, and I agree, I doubt we'll see $84 again, except maybe near Christmas (but, if inventory is low probably not). Often times the lowest prices are when there is lots of available inventory everywhere. For some sets that dries up as it nears EOL, along with the lower prices. Now that JP has made front page news it may remain popular all the way to EOL. Will be interesting to follow prices and demand over the rest of the year.
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Lego is making some serious bank on this (bad?) publicity. Before this, #9516 was warming shelves. Now it's selling out. And of course if you have JP, you need the Rancor Pit to make it even better, and possibly even the Skiff set to add more minifigs to flesh it out(Lando, Boba, and Kithaba look great hanging out in the palace). I can only imagine how many of the latter two sets they've sold as well.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,777
    What is really annoying are the eBay sellers saying it is already sold out, when that is a complete lie.
    cloaked7 said:

^ Yup, the WM price is a very good one, especially at this time. Not as low as what it once was ($84) on Amazon, but still a good price.

As many have predicted, and I agree, I doubt we'll see $84 again, except maybe near Christmas (but, if inventory is low probably not). Often times the lowest prices are when there is lots of available inventory everywhere. For some sets that dries up as it nears EOL, along with the lower prices. Now that JP has made front page news it may remain popular all the way to EOL. Will be interesting to follow prices and demand over the rest of the year.

This is why I was happy to find one yesterday and price match to the Target sale price. The price of $88 is much better than $120, especially considering my son is paying for it.
  • StompingFreakStompingFreak United KingdomMember Posts: 59
    I posted this earlyer on the Lego MB's, but i don't this it will get posted, so i'll post here as well............... Is it ture that lego are stopping making this amazing set because of this : The “racist sterotype” issue was brought to LEGO’s attention earlier in January after Austria’s Turkish community complained that Jabba’s Palace depicted a real world mosque (known as Hagia Sophia) and a Muslim minaret. They claimed that Jabba’s Palace showed activities involving terrorists, criminals and villians and the Muslims felt offended.

If this is ture, there is somthing very wrong in the world. If production of this set stops, your giving into fear, which these people feed off. So your giving into terrorists. Because of a racist sterotype that all Muslims are bomb carrying relisgous nuts. I beleive the leaders of the world said that only a very small group are the bad guys. So why stop a set which we star wars fan's love?

So should return of the Jedi, have the palace sence cut, so noone take offence? Please don't you feel all this PC stuff is now helping the bad guys win, they theaten, we back down though fear. Thats making it far too easy for them. Please, rethink this one.

Stomping
    @Stompingfreak- An interesting topic for sure. Apparently the whole thing was an april fool's prank, but it actually ended up having a dramatic effect on the set's sales!

Being discussed currently here:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10077/9516-sold-out-on-many-sites#latest
    Damn!!! Ninja'd by Samuel.
  • StompingFreakStompingFreak United KingdomMember Posts: 59
    Oops sorry @samiam391 missed the post. do you want to remove this??
    Pitfall69 said:

Damn!!! Ninja'd by Samuel.

Can't believe you let these slow reflexes beat you to it.

Oops sorry @samiam391 missed the post. do you want to remove this??

I'm not staff... so we'll let the moderators deal with it when they have the time. Feel free to throw in your thoughts though on the other thread where a lot of discussion has already accumulated. It's definitely an interesting topic.
    ^I just got done lifting and running 4 miles. I'm a little tired.
    ^I just got done lifting and running 5 miles, so I'm a little tired as well.
    ^ I just got done lifting both of you and running 6 miles, but not tired at all! :)
    Red Skelton standing by!!!
    ^^Considering how much body fat @Pitfall69 carries, that's quite a feat and one that can't be topped.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,660
    Target.com was showing that my local store had some in stock (didn't have any earlier this week). I stopped by, they had 2 left. I got one, scanned at $120 (not 199.99), took it to service desk, the girl told me that was the 7th price matching she had done today for that set, didn't even checked target.com... At $83.59+tx it was hard to resist, controversy or not.
    Ouch!!! :(