Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego deviation from core blocks and bricks

Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
edited August 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I was wondering what people's opinion is about Lego and how it seems to have moved to producing custom molded pieces that have limited use in free style building. Someone mentioned to me that Lego is straying from what it has been classically. For example, the movement from yellow skinned figures to the flesh skinned figures. It almost seems like they are moving to a Playmobil type model system where you can use the pieces that came with the model to modify it a little, but it is rather difficult to create something completely different out of it.

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    Well I will say from a set building perspective it stinks.. Are the new parts cool? Sure but having to account for so many parts, so many colors, and the flesh tone figures (Which I believe really are only for the licensed figs) are a pain.
    I sure a bigger pain for those selling on Bricklink, but still.
    I occasionally buy almost complete sets from eBayers and find it is a pain to find parts all from one seller.
    I like the 80's sets (to be honest mostly cause that is when I was in my Lego heyday as a kid) , while the parts were limited, at least if I want to build a set from the 80's I can easily get most of the parts...
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,275
    Rainstorm26... you hit the nail on the proverbial head... LEGO has strayed... too many colors (although we really cannot complain about going beyond just the primary old colors)... but what really is lacking from LEGO since as far back as the 1970s... a lack of a cohesive "LEGO System".... which was the backbone of LEGO building before the jumble of new parts.

Example... look how limited we are in building a roof (either 33/45/75 degrees) in a particular color? Besides the basic colors... there's always what I call a "spoiler"... a part that is not available in a particular color to complete that "System".... actually it's more like "spoilers" (plural). There are many LEGO parts that are (as you said) virtually useless in other applications... unless there were more variation in sizes/shapes of parts that that particular color.

One of the worst "LEGO Systems" is what used to be their best.... LEGO windows/doors. At one time about 8% of all the different LEGO part types that were produced (1956-65) were windows/doors.

Yes they finally came out with a replacement to the 1x2x2 classic window... and even a 1x2x3 version of it.... but is that all?? Back from 1956-86 there were 9 different classic LEGO windows that were compatible and could be used together as well as alone in order to build nearly 100 different window styles. And today... look what we have? For an architectural system with so many thousands of different parts... it's an embarrassment that there are so few window types, compared to all the other slopes/curves/angles that LEGO has today. And to use the back of "headlight bricks" as a window is almost insulting.

(Getting off my soapbox now...)

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited August 2011
    ^ @Istokg: I know the lack of a complete and cohesive system and roof and windows elements, in particular, are desired by many including myself, but I'm curious if you've made any recent attempt of getting TLG's ear about this or know of others that have. What was the response?
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,275
    ^ @rocao: at the first Brickworld Convention in Chicago a few years back KKK and the LEGO President were in attendance. I could not attend, because my mother was very ill with cancer.. but I had one of my AFOL acquaintances ask at an "ask the company" question and answer session. Both KKK and the LEGO President acknowledged the problems since the elimination of the classic windows/doors circa 1986... but the only result of that acknowledgement has been the new 1x2x2 and 1x2x3 windows with insertable glass... and I wonder if those 2 window introductions weren't more a result of the Design team complaints, rather than from any commands up high in the company.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I had a similar thought with regards to Lego animals, but I prefer molded animals vs constructed.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1117/lego-animals-minifigure-scale-constructed

I'm curious as to how many new molds are created each year. I've just been collecting for the past 5+ years after my dark ages. I come across new parts all the time, but these "new" parts could have been around for years for all I know.