Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

9516 sold out on many sites

not12fallnot12fall Member Posts: 65
edited April 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Couldn't post under the Jabba Palace discussion. The website is requiring a login, but then doesn't register my email, but I am fine over here. But I noticed, not only is Amazon sold out, but Walmart, Target, Meijer and Kmart. Lego is still selling and Target still has in stores. My guess is that the major retailers are pulling in order to be PC until they figure out what is really going on. Just glad I got mine when I did.

Comments

• carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Had to smile when I visited the Watford Lego Store this lunchtime - the display in the window is Jabba's Palace, taking centre stage. Coincidence? You decide. ;-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,495
    carlq said:

Had to smile when I visited the Watford Lego Store this lunchtime - the display in the window is Jabba's Palace, taking centre stage. Coincidence? You decide. ;-)

Yep - coincidence. It was already in the window before the 'controversy' re-ignited over the weekend, but the fact it's still there now shows what a non-issue LEGO consider this to be, over in the UK at least.

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    There was stock at my LEGO store today. How many? I don't know, but they weren't out of stock. I have 1 and I doubt I'll get more due to this 'feeding frenzy'. I mean, I didn't get any today.
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    Picked up 3 this morning since WM had them for 20% off and they are out of stock like crazy everywhere else. eBay and Amazon prices are approaching the roof.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I debated driving over and picking up all that they have, except of course they only want to sell 5 at a time now. :)

But is it really worth it to make $15 per set, then have customers demand a return when they figure out it isn't really gone?

No, not really. :)
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Wake me up when it hits 2x rrp ;)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    Call me thick, but am I missing something here?

TLG have said that they will continue selling through 2013 and this fact has moreorless been advertised in every news report. Given shelves are empty just 3 months through it, would TLG not just continue to replenish them for the remaining 9 months.

Why clamber over everybody to get the last remaining sets in month 3 when you can just buy over the next 6-9 months? What's the rush? Is this a case of buying up and reselling to customers who have misunderstood the situation and think it's already gone?

I'm sorry. I don't get it!?
    ^ Because people don't read the article, they read the headlines and make snap judgements.

Why do you think we get the politicians we get (of all colors and stripes)? Because most people don't actually pay any attention and have no clue as to what is really going on.

Same thing here.
    TheLoneTensormadforLEGOmargotMathBuilderchrisdojoalldarkerPaperballpark
    ^ lol.

But I haven't seen a single article saying "TLG to stop selling". I have however seen dozens of articles saying "TLG to stop selling in 2014". Even my dad quoted it to me over dinner last night.

So who is it that's buying them up now? Resellers or illiterate consumers?
    edited April 2013
    I mean, could it be the resellers' buying up that could be adding to the confusion and frenzy of the set disappearing earlier than it actually is?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Legoboy said:

I mean, could it be the resellers' buying up that could be adding to the confusion and frenzy of the set disappearing earlier than it actually is?

Ya think?

edited April 2013
    ^ No, not really! Thats why I asked who exactly was rushing to buy them now. Ebay prices are still way sub rrp so I'm not convinced consumers give a damn tbh. And why would they? They've got all year! lol.

I think @LFT has called it right, but what do I know!?
    Furrysaurus
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    I think it's a bunch of illiterate noob resellers...
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    Bandit said:

I think it's a bunch of illiterate noob resellers...

Must be something in the LEGO plastic, especially in the "Artic" Batman set. :p

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,783

^ Because people don't read the article, they read the headlines and make snap judgements.

Why do you think we get the politicians we get (of all colors and stripes)? Because most people don't actually pay any attention and have no clue as to what is really going on.

Same thing here.

Its also a good reason not to put all you eggs in one basket on this set, too many goofs buying them thinking they are going to make a killing on eBay, until they realize their profit is taken by eBay for their, and paypal's, fees
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    edited April 2013
    Just bought and sold 4 JP. Every Target I went to were sold out as you could price match for $87+tax.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I realize it's sold out online, but my Wal-Mart and Target have several of them just hanging out on the shelves. I'm really not understanding who these people are causing auctions to end in the $150+ range.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    Seems to me like this set is a no-brainer for future resale value. The factors that weigh in favor of future success in my book are: (1) it's a Star Wars set, (2) it's MSRP is high, (3) it has a definite EOL date (which appears to be end of 2013 based on some reports I've read), and (4) it will have been on the market for a little over a year at EOL if it goes at the end of 2013. The only factor that I see that weighs against it is the fact that everyone knows that it's going EOL in the near future. However, I think the fact that it will have been available for such a short period of time will more than outweigh any excess resale stock that is accumulated. For me, it's a definite buy, particularly if it can be had at 20%-30% below MSRP.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,519
    Who ever is buying them all isn't so much the point. I went to 2 Walmarts and 2 Targets as well as called 2 Targets and all were sold out. I tried to buy it online and Walmart is sold out ( probably because of the sale ) Target online doesn't even recognize the set number and Amazon themselves isn't selling it either. The major stores seem to perpetuating the rumor that Lego is pulling it now and it won't ever be available from the major retailers anymore.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Ridiculous.. Lego isn't even pulling the sets (as most have already figured out)
    http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/news-room/2013/january/reaction-to-criticism-of-lego-star-wars-product/
    edited April 2013
    I think this is panic buying and will eventually level off when the goofs realize they will not make a million dollars selling these on eBay as they are not sold out yet.
  • not12fallnot12fall Member Posts: 65
    Oldtodd33 Target didn't recognize the set number prior to all this. I always had to search under the name. It is still listed on the website and you can look up which stores still have stock: http://www.target.com/p/lego-star-wars-jabba-s-palace/-/A-14050080#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=jabba+palace
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,519
    ^ Wow, I had no idea some sets can't be searched by number at Target.com. That seems really stupid of them, or of me. That was a great price though, wish I had seen that before I heard of the Walmart sale. Oh well. They are sold out all over so too late to cry about it. At least I got one for my sons b-day, now I won't have that to worry about later.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    The only reason i could see to buy one, is that I figured I could price-match for $87, and it may be a while before we see such a price point. There is no reason for stores to put it on sale if there is demand. My son has interest, but no way at $120.

Even that was stil not enough to make me bite.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    the whole thing is funny.
    This set will be EOL as planned in dec ´13. and seeing this panic buying is funny.
    But I have to admit I also bought it in...read the article in the morning, went shopping for groceries in the afternoon, There is a toy shop besides the supermarket that I almost always visit, and they had 3 boxes left with a big mark "50%" on it....Guess what i did...
    LOL
    Si_UKNZ
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ That's just good sense regardless of when its going!
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    @Supersympa That's a good buy even if it's not EOL until 2023.

Seeing some "entrepreneurs" on NYC CL putting them up for $140-150. I'm sure there will be unsuspecting folks getting catfished.
    madforLEGO
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Target also always changes my search of "Lego" to "Legos" which bugs me. :-)
    paulmisonMathBuilder
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,660
    It is back on Amazon at RRP...
    Im guessing not for long.. which is just silly IMO.

• timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    As of a minute ago Amazon was down to 71 available.
    51 available
  • xeeeejxeeeej Member Posts: 71
    22!
    10 left. :)
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622

the whole thing is funny.
    This set will be EOL as planned in dec ´13. and seeing this panic buying is funny.
    But I have to admit I also bought it in...read the article in the morning, went shopping for groceries in the afternoon, There is a toy shop besides the supermarket that I almost always visit, and they had 3 boxes left with a big mark "50%" on it....Guess what i did...
    LOL

same here, i find the whole thing absolutely hilarious :D

Lego certainly know what to do the next time a set isnt selling as well as they hoped :)
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    I got mine $87.99 walmart price matched target.com
    I bought some off of a BL seller for about 25% off MSRP a few days ago. The next day he cancelled the order because he had allegedly already sold them on Ebay and then turned up later that day with the exact same number for sale in his store at twice what I had bought them for. Greedy and dishonest is such an annoying combination that I left my first negative feedback ever on BL.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ which seller was this, please
    I'd rather not call the guy out further unless he does something stupid to retaliate. After I left the neg, he did offer to sell me some of the sets at the original price if I would remove it, but then wanted to charge me three times what shipping would actually cost. Pretty big cohones on that one.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited April 2013
    I ultimately just decided to part out the two I got from Amazon and keep the Gamorreans (which is what I'd intended to do before all this nonsense began). I know I'll make a bit less, but it's just not worth the hassle of someone trying to return them in the future.

I also made the rounds today and it still looks like these are on physical shelves at both of the Wal-Marts and the Target in my area. I guess we just don't keep up on all the LEGO news around these parts.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    Yep, checked one Walmart today and they had four on the shelf.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    ^ I bought one when it was $87 on Amazon and 3 During last years TRU Buy 2 get 1. I got them on sake ans within the same day TRU jacked up the price to like $149.99 or something. I ended up getting 3 for $72 a piece.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    Regardless of what they are selling for now, this set will easily fetch $200 shortly after it is retired.
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    I picked up the last one at my Walmart for $95 just in case. They don't do that many scene sets with Star Wars. It's mostly Ships/Vehicles. So I bit just to be safe. xD

Amazon has 4 left.
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    0 now
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    i had in the past two days friends from all over the world sending me article in diferent languages about lego stopping production. and when I tell them that a life of a set is usually 12 to 24 months and that this set was due to be EOL in dec 2013 anyway, they all say "really?!?"
  • AJRoperAJRoper Member Posts: 33
    Got mine last week for £57 from Asda. Apparently just in time! Can't blame
    People for flipping these quickly now though!
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    Anyone care to guess the set that is THE top set on my 6 year old's Lego list now? *roll eyes*