Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Vintage Disneyland set not in database.

MyMemoriesMyMemories Member Posts: 4
First of all, I wanna say is that I'm very impressed with this site.

I was hoping to find the vintage Disneyland which I used to own when I was very young.

After browsing through the entire database, nothing was found. :(

The set, if not mistaken...
- was released between 1975-1985 (The set started to loose its brick bit by bit after my younger siblings "joined" the fun, you'll get the picture)
- it's a Disneyland castle
- with figurine such as Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck/Pluto, and they were plastic non-removable figurine, not the usual Lego type of figurine where you could remove the limbs.

Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Many thanks.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,425
    Never heard of it. Are you sure it's LEGO and not a clone brand?
  • MyMemoriesMyMemories Member Posts: 4
    All I can recall is the box is in yellow box with the constructed Disneyland castle picture on it. The brick itself is not the same as those "castle" theme collection. Slightly bigger.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 518

All I can recall is the box is in yellow box with the constructed Disneyland castle picture on it. The brick itself is not the same as those "castle" theme collection. Slightly bigger.

That doesn't sound like Lego to me, especially if it dates back to the late 1970s. If you still have pieces of the set, can you confirm it is actually Lego by checking the top of the studs? "LEGO" should be embossed on the top of each one.

That doesn't sound like Lego to me, especially if it dates back to the late 1970s. If you still have pieces of the set, can you confirm it is actually Lego by checking the top of the studs? "LEGO" should be embossed on the top of each one.
    Unfortunately, the set no longer with my family... it's been more than 3 decades but the sweet memories never really faded away.

Maybe you & Huw were right. That particular set could be a knock off brand.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    It is definitely another brand, as we owned it when we were Disneyland collectors. I tried to find it on the internet, but had no luck.
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    Is this it?

That is the one we had!
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Wonder why Loc Blocs didn't catch on
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    It never ceases to amaze me what people come up with here - well searched @Reliant!

IIRC you could recreate that quite easily in "proper" brick @MyMemories starting with the figs from #4167 and www.bricklink.com. Probaly cost about $100 buying used.

Good luck!

Mark
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,425
    What a find, @Reliant, well done!
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    That's actually a pretty nice looking castle. Lego could take note instead of re-designing the usual bucket style ones.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    mathew said:

That's actually a pretty nice looking castle. Lego could take note instead of re-designing the usual bucket style ones.

Well, the bucket-style ones benefit from being "open" so that there's plenty of room to reach in and play with them. This style would be neat to see in a LEGO Architecture set (or similar display model), but it wouldn't really work well for the Castle theme or any theme with a similar emphasis on play value.
    Reliant said:

Is this it?

Thanks for the reply but it's not.

It's a rectangle box in landscape format where there's Mickey mouse, Donald Duck & Pluto. I don't recall it comes with Minnie.

Anyway, thanks for the effort. Really appreciate that.

On the other hand, why didn't Lego release a commercial Disneyland Lego set?
    Have you searched ebay to see if you can find it?

Cost of license would be my guess on why Lego hasn't released a Disney set.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 619
    ^ I thought that there were some Duplo sets with a Mickey Mouse theme in the late 90's, but I don't recall any in the 70's.

Let me check the database... #4164-1 #4165-1 #4166-1 #4167-1 #4178-1

OK, not Duplo, but "junior" with Fabuland-based parts. All released in 2000. And nothing that looks remotely like a castle except maybe Mickey's Mansion if you squint...
  • psychopuppetpsychopuppet Member Posts: 71
    I believe Sears may have sold a Lego like Disney set one year in their Christmas Book during the 1980's . There use to be a website that featured scans of the Christmas Books ,but sadly I think it has long ago vanished.
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    edited April 2013

I believe Sears may have sold a Lego like Disney set one year in their Christmas Book during the 1980's . There use to be a website that featured scans of the Christmas Books ,but sadly I think it has long ago vanished.

Here you go... http://www.wishbookweb.com/

WARNING: You might find yourself waxing nostalgic for quite awhile.
    Thanks @The_Mack lost myself there for a few hours

Found this interesting page in the 1980 JCPenny Chrimbo catalogue

http://www.wishbookweb.com/1980_JCPenny_Christmas/images/1980 JCPenny Christmas page513.jpg

The craterplate for the #6970 is light gray, but the raised crater is tan coloured. It really changes my perception of the classic space theme, adding a new colour to the mix.

Did these ever exist in the wild? I thought there were some brick built crater plates in the US.

Also loving that #6861. Don't believe we ever got that in the UK.
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    I had a few of those myself, #6861 #462, #452, and #442. I don't think I ever owned a set that came with crater plates, but you could also buy them separate for a while. I don't think that tan colored crater plate ever existed.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 619
    edited April 2013
    ^^I know that some of the old crater and landing plates changed colors from gray to tan over the years, possibly due to UV exposure. But the sets used for the catalog shoot should not have been that old...

None of my classic space sets, including #6970-1, have gray-and-tan crater plates as shown in that picture. It looks like the gray crater was painted for whatever reason.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^Yep, looks like its been painted to match the non lego scenery used in the photos. Certainly none of mine have tan craters.
    I have a few damaged old ones with stress marks on the craters that have gone tan in color. Wonder if they exist unreleased in "The Vault" @Huw (or anyone else that has been there)?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,328

Reliant said:

Is this it?

Thanks for the reply but it's not.

It's a rectangle box in landscape format where there's Mickey mouse, Donald Duck & Pluto. I don't recall it comes with Minnie.

Anyway, thanks for the effort. Really appreciate that.

On the other hand, why didn't Lego release a commercial Disneyland Lego set?
    More than likely LEGO was not going to pay the licensing cost back then. LEGO was not that heavily vested in things other than LEGO back in those days.. maybe Maersk or a local company (I'm guessing) but LEGO was not a big player in licensed themes until SW back in 99 I believe
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,328
    Oldfan said:

^^I know that some of the old crater and landing plates changed colors from gray to tan over the years, possibly due to UV exposure. But the sets used for the catalog shoot should not have been that old...

None of my classic space sets, including #6970-1, have gray-and-tan crater plates as shown in that picture. It looks like the gray crater was painted for whatever reason.

Wonder if they ever received complaints from consumers that the catalog showed Sandy colored dunes on the baseplates, but the box and plates inside were only all gray...