Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Did the cartoons get you interested in collecting a line, or vice versa?

TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
What came first, your interest in a Lego line, or the cartoons associated with them?

Me and my kids mostly didn't care about Ninjago or TMNT, but both cartoons are (and I'm not embarrassed to say) really fun to watch. They honestly got us involved in the sets as a result. Chima, not so much yet. Maybe it was because there were only two episodes, but probably because the writing was much more childlike compared to Ninjago or TMNT.

I understand the UK has restrictions on such things (i.e. showing cartoons before the toys are out), which is an interesting concept in itself.

Comments

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    The animated Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes series got me very much interested in Marvel. After watching the series I started collecting Marvel Universe action figures and also all the Lego related super heroes products.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    We bought DVDs of Clone Wars and Ninjago after buying several sets of each. We wanted to know who everyone was :). My daughter will now watch some of the Ninjago, none of the Clone Wars but is very interested in the preview DVD they were playing at the TRU Chima event.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    ^ I would recommend the Padawan Menace and Empire Strikes Out for LEGO Star Wars movies. They are closer to Ninjago than Clone Wars series. Clone Wars has too much destructions and not enough dialogs. It becomes repetitive really quickly.

Ninjago was a great TV series. I thought they had enough materials to make season 2 and 3 longer. For example, each ninja's NRG powers could have been explored even more.
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 80
    I've got to admit, Ninjago was surprisingly good. DVR'd the episodes and watched them in a couple weekends. If I weren't already invested in several other themes, I would probably get a couple more (had to get the little fire mech - awesome $10 set!)

Even the Atlantis mini-series was pretty good, but I was interested in the sets before I watched it.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Knowing there's a cartoon associated with a particular Lego line would be incentive enough for me never to purchase any of those sets to begin with. Fortunately, the sets themselves failed to generate absolutely any interest so their "animated" origins/tie-ins never came into play.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    My daughter watched some Ninjago at a friends house and got interested, she has been asking for Ninjago ever since so I will be making our first foray into those. Plan to buy only a couple of sets though.

I used to watch TMNT as a kid so will pick up a few sets only for the minifigures. I just realized, I have been doing this a lot lately, picking up sets for the minifigs...need to get my head examined:-)). ( no offense meant to anyone else who does the same)
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Really don't like the idea of a series just designed to sell toys. Much happier with the sets based on classic stuff like LOTR or SW than Chima or Ninjago which don't appeal to me at all.
  • orzoorzo Member Posts: 11
    When I was kid I really liked the ninja turtles, like others. I complete the videogame on Amiga several times! Now I wish that some things of the old serie (like the technodrome, someone remember?) can become sets, maybe collectable? I like to dream :)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,980
    LEGO was one factor, but hardly the only factor, in me starting to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. I believe the sets were no longer news when I started watching, but they certainly increased my awareness of the show, and I started watching largely on account of being a big Spongebob fan and the shows sometimes running consecutively.

So far, other cartoon licenses like The Clone Wars and TMNT haven't reeled me in to the shows they represent, but I have been a part of discussions of those themes, which makes me a lot more aware of and open to the shows in question.

As far as non-licensed themes are concerned, the existence of a cartoon or other media often increases my interest in a theme, but generally when I buy sets it will be on account of the sets and characters themselves, not necessarily the show. I became interested in Ninjago largely on account of its sheer audacity, some of its clever parts and building techniques, and my love of the fantasy martial-arts genre that it sort of fit with.

Usually when I invest in a theme's media, I DO have to already see some appeal in the sets, but that's largely because the sets are the main way to learn the premise if you haven't already invested in the theme's media. Current themes that I follow the media of include Ninjago and Hero Factory. I have not yet watched the first two episodes of Legends of Chima, nor have I watched the LEGO Friends TV special, though in both cases I have a bit of a feeling that I probably should. Naturally, I never have extremely high expectations of LEGO television/film media before watching it, but most LEGO media is bland and mediocre at worst, and there's never been anything I'd consider unwatchable.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Lego got me intrested in star wars movie's and cartoon, I never used to near them.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    I still don't know what Minecraft is
    Bumblepants
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I was completely unaware of any Lego cartoon before reading about them on Lego forums and I still have absolutely no interest in them now. I think if I was a fan of a show to begin with, I may be interested in its Lego rendition but not the other way.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,362

I do. It was a reseller's dream before Christmas :-). Apparently it is some game the kids are into, especially those kids of rich parents that were willing to spend $100 on a $50 set.
    CCC said:

I do. It was a reseller's dream before Christmas :-). Apparently it is some game the kids are into, especially those kids of rich parents that were willing to spend $100 on a $50 set.
    It definitely helps that Minecraft is a game based around creative building, and thus its audience has a HUGE overlap with LEGO fans.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    Snakes.

My son saw the cool snakes on the Lego package at the store. That came first.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,362
    Aanchir said:

CCC said:

It definitely helps that Minecraft is a game based around creative building, and thus its audience has a HUGE overlap with LEGO fans.
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek there, given what went on in the reseller threads.

I've never actually played the game, but seen it played. Is it possible to "play" the lego version like you play the video game. My fingers are too large to be able to tunnel into a section. I could build but not tunnel. I wonder if this will get minecraft fans into purchasing parts / extension packs for their lego set.
    What about a cartoon making one disinterested in a line? Anyone watch the new Chima episode this week?

I honestly could not watch it. I had to pause it about 1/2 way through. My husband thought it was just that bad as well. What was even worse was after I paused it, my 6 year old son saying he really did not like it at all.

With Ninjago my kids looked forward to watching. It had humor and heart. With Chima, the only thing it has done was further convince Ds (and me) that he has absolutely no interest in it.

@tamamahm has he played with the Speedorz somewhere? I don't know your son obviously, but they seem to be an ideal six-year-old boy's toy. My daughter wanted them and played the game once but went right back to the ongoing saga in her bedroom involving a dozen Friends, 3 Ninjago mechs and Eris' interceptor. It's still all about the story. She may like Chima more when she's read some books.

@dragonhawk I'm sorry, I lost track of this thread. We have Padawan Menace and Clutch Powers, I ordered Empire Strikes Out the day it came out and Ninjago season two. However, though Amazon UK can get LEGO to me in the US in 5 days, Amazon.com can't get the DVDs to me in France until May 7, good thing I didn't order birthday presents.

We've talked about the TV show but does anyone else get the books? My daughter collects the Ninjago graphic novels and it seems to be a completely different story line. We're looking forward to the Chima ones now.
    @Jenni

He actually has played with Speedorz at the Lego store. He didn't have any interest in them either. It wasn't too easy for him to pull the cord and then set the speedorz down in the correct manner to make it move. When he set it down, it would stop spinning. (I had the same issue the first few times I tried it.) I think if they were easier to use, he might have had interest, but it's hard to say. We were at the store for a while before he even went over to check them out.

I think with him, it is also about the story. The Chima story does not excite him. The sets do not excite him. He is all about cool hidden and special features, and playability within a story of his making. As an example, he developed sudden interest in the Rancor pit. He is not a Star Wars fan, so why? Because it has a cool monster/alien, it has a gate that moves, and two hidden areas. The pit can be used as a jail, or a home. He can use it to incorporate into alien Lego play, or use it as a jail for the police station set. Details, story and interest.

When we add in the Chima cartoon, with characters that simply fight for no reason, poor dialogue, etc.... it just made his view of Chima even worse.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,354
    edited March 2013
    Not a cartoon, but I was a Star Wars fan before I became a Lego fan. Since I was extremely young (3 or 4 I think) Star Wars has been thrust at me by dad who is pretty much obsessed. Therefore I purchased a couple of Star Wars Lego sets as part of the memorabilia craze, than I picked up a few more, and then I thought some of the other sets looked pretty cool so purchased a couple of those and now here I am 15 years later with over 800 sets.
    @tamamahm that makes sense if it was a bit difficult. We left all our younger friends behind before she got the speedorz to play with so I haven't seen how they took to them.

Mine now wants the rancor pit too, it's overpriced in the US but here it's ridiculous. Fortunately she's easily distracted :).

We've only seen the Chima TRU event DVD which gave a little background but she quite enjoyed the first chapter book that has three short stories in it.
  • BrickographyBrickography Member Posts: 15
    Never really watched any of the cartoons. Maybe I should start? Are they any good?
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 612
    My interest in Lego began in a time when there were NO TV shows that the sets promoted, either via licenses or original properties.

Remember when Lego was only about the sets?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    Brickography
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    I have enjoyed the Clone Wars series overall. Sure there are some duds with each season, but there are some gems mixed in there as well. The show definitely expanded my Lego 'want' list from the classic story line. For example, I doubt if I would want the Umbaran MHC if it wasn't for the show.

My problem is that I like to wait for the season to come out on BluRay (if available - if not, DVD is fine) since I like to watch the show at my own pace. I'm also worried that if we watch Ninjago (son has some sets but hasn't expressed in interest in watching the entire series) in this manner it will be harder to pick up some of the older sets. I guess that's what resellers and Ebay are for - first world problems indeed.
    I agree that the Chima show has not helped my interest in the theme... overall, I had somewhat low expectations watching it and was still disappointed. The comic relief is fairly good — arguably better than most of the out-of-place jokes in the Hero Factory TV episodes — but the action is jumpy and the dialogue is fairly stilted (often characters are just stating the obvious when they have anything substantive to say at all). It's easy to tell from its slapstick nature that it's not meant to be the same kind of storytelling as Ninjago or Hero Factory, and is not the kind of story kids are likely expected to take seriously, but if so, this seems at odds with the theme's moderately heavy dose of backstory and mythology.

On the plus side, a return for the Ninjago TV series has been confirmed, so perhaps the difference from Ninjago is deliberate, with Ninjago aimed at kids who want compelling action and characterization and Chima aimed at some bizarre hypothetical audience that doesn't. However, I have some doubts about that, since I imagine a lot of the writing for Chima would have taken place before Ninjago's continuation was set in stone. Certainly Chima still has quite a while to improve, but after the third episode was not much better than the two episodes first aired, I've lost a lot of my optimism for improvements in that theme's story.
  • bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    I will say that the new TMNT cartoon won me over (a bit). I first thought the sets were ugly, but my son has been watching the show and we will probably get a few sets, at least to get the four turtles.

(Sidenote: Both 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike and 79103 Turtle Lair Attack were out of stock at the Newark, DE LEGO Store when I was there last week. They must be popular.)

We both did not enjoy the Chima show enough to spend time watching it, so we can easily skip it and the sets. It felt contrived, from the story's concept to the gameplay to the characters. I don't like my son to hear the message that Laval and Cragger were once friends but now they fight. He likes when a story has two main characters who are best friends (like Pixar Cars, Harry Potter and Ron, R2-D2 and C-3PO, etc). And Laval's voice is reason enough not to watch. My son did receive the Chima Laval's Sword 850615 one day when we were at the LEGO store, choosing that over any sets with, y'know, actual bricks... He's a boy and likes swords, not necessarily Chima.

My son was too young for Ninjago when it was new, so I only bought sets that I liked regardless of the tie-in ( 2507 Fire Temple, 2516 Training Outpost, 2258 Ninja Ambush, 70500 Fire Mech). Those sets held up on their own.
    And Laval's voice is reason enough not to watch.
    No kidding. It is almost as bad as nails on a chalkboard. ;-)

@Aanchir, I completely agree. Three episodes in and still no improvement? They have pretty much lost us an audience.
    bluelion3 said:

We both did not enjoy the Chima show enough to spend time watching it, so we can easily skip it and the sets. It felt contrived, from the story's concept to the gameplay to the characters. I don't like my son to hear the message that Laval and Cragger were once friends but now they fight. He likes when a story has two main characters who are best friends (like Pixar Cars, Harry Potter and Ron, R2-D2 and C-3PO, etc). And Laval's voice is reason enough not to watch.

Gonna have to stop you there. My twin brother and I agree that Laval's voice is perhaps one of the best things about the show... Laval is already plenty kawaii as a minifigure and as an animated character design (any pic of him with a closed-mouth smile, including the face print of his minifigure head, is heart-meltingly adorable IMO), and I'm quite glad they gave him a voice that matched. Of course, the script and occasionally the actor's unconvincing delivery of the lines makes it a bit difficult to fully appreciate.

As for Laval and Cragger having once been friends, I think that's one of the better parts of the story, or has the potential to be. It seemed like the sort of thing that could add complexity to the characters — Laval's quest would not simply be to defeat Cragger, but rather to repair his friendship with Cragger and turn Cragger back to the side of good. Unfortunately, the plot device of the magic flower doesn't really let this plot element meet its full potential, since if Laval does get Cragger back on the side of good and earn Cragger's forgiveness for his parents' fate, it might just be a matter of the magic flower's effect wearing off at a convenient time, rather than Laval putting forth an extraordinary effort to win back Cragger's friendship and convince Cragger to atone for his crimes.

Even though your son may not have been into Ninjago when it was new, I encourage you to check out the Ninjago TV series sometime (if you haven't already). It's quite enjoyable in my opinion. It's not a masterpiece of modern animation and storytelling like Avatar: The Last Airbender, but its characters are compelling and dynamic, its lessons are meaningful, and some of its jokes are actually pretty funny compared to those in most LEGO TV and film productions. The music and visuals in Ninjago are also stellar. I'm very glad that series isn't finished with, because it's been one of my favorite themes from the past couple years both in terms of sets and story, and Legends of Chima isn't really shaping up to fill the void that Ninjago would have left.
  • BrickographyBrickography Member Posts: 15
    See I have only bought the sets I have for the sets. When the older ninja sets came out I was in my dark ages, but admired them. So when they came out with Ninjago I picked em up for the ninja theme/pieces. Did not get all of them, most didnt interest me, but did get some. The TMNT sets, well thats all because of my fondness to the TMNT of my youth haha. Those I have all save the Shellraiser #79104. The rest that I get that have TV shows are only due to the set may have some good pieces in it.
    Aanchir said:

Even though your son may not have been into Ninjago when it was new, I encourage you to check out the Ninjago TV series sometime (if you haven't already). It's quite enjoyable in my opinion. It's not a masterpiece of modern animation and storytelling like Avatar: The Last Airbender, but its characters are compelling and dynamic, its lessons are meaningful, and some of its jokes are actually pretty funny compared to those in most LEGO TV and film productions. The music and visuals in Ninjago are also stellar. I'm very glad that series isn't finished with, because it's been one of my favorite themes from the past couple years both in terms of sets and story, and Legends of Chima isn't really shaping up to fill the void that Ninjago would have left.

You pretty much nailed exactly why I do not like Chima.
    I had high expectations (even while not being a fan of the Lego sets) after Ninjago. With all those items you listed that Ninjago is, Chima seems so much the opposite at this point.

I don't know if they are aiming for a younger audience or what, but it just seems so poorly written compared to Ninjago, especially the second season with the snakes.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    I keep watching ultimate spider man for two reasons:

1- Its actually getting better the longer it goes

2- Best chance of seeing heroes and villians from the marvel universe added to lego' growing roster