Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

14k Mr Gold found!

2»

Comments

• brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 560
    My 3 year old can photoshop better than that!

LegoDad42TheBrickLadd
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,863
    I thought the pic looked shifty, but Legoboy's comment totally suckered me.
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    The name anagram is a nice touch, who is going to own up?! One of the conspiratory early posters I suspect..
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 586
    I knew there was something fishy about that picture, in the first place why it was so small! If I found Mr Gold I'd DSLR that sucker.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,257
    leego76 said:

The name anagram is a nice touch

That's what made me sure it was.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    Haha! This was better than the time Huw said he'd be adding all LEGO gear and Megablocks to the database. I did fall for the post after reading it, but once I clicked the picture I realized it was a joke. But not after doing a kind of double take, I thought maybe the picture looked so bad because he admitted to using a phone, but the 2-D look to it, and the color between the legs didn't match the table.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    Everyone is hoping for it to be a joke and fake.

Aaah, envy. ;-)
  • minifignickminifignick UKMember Posts: 109
    edited April 2013
    MMMMmmmm It's not April Fools Day is it ? (Checks Date !) GREAT JOKE Well Done
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    I'd like to know how Mr Gold came out of an unopened packet...
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 1,006
    This hoax hasn't lasted as long as others have, can someone come up with a really good one? I think we are all just too wary now....
    cheshirecat
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67
    April 1st brings out the worst the Internet has to offer.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    I hear that in a stunning show of toy-manufacturer solidarity, Lego subcontracted Mega Bloks to make the Mr. Gold minifig.

It's on the internets and is therefore true!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    tensor said:

I hear that in a stunning show of toy-manufacturer solidarity, Lego subcontracted Mega Bloks to make the Mr. Gold minifig.

It's on the internets and is therefore true!

Actually, I heard that the new TLG factory in China is also used for Mega Bloks, and that LEGO products manufactured there will now have special labeling - "Warning - Packed in a factory that processes Mega Bloks."
    doodlebird
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,459
    Honestly, the best part about all of this will be when the figure comes in the mail and I'm holding it with a big smile on my face in a picture. Either that or until the second figure shows up I suppose.

Considering how many safety checks I made him put on the postage, I imagine it will be a few weeks, 2-3.
  • WodanisWodanis Member Posts: 7
    Clearly this is an April Fool's joke. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is! I can't wait to hunt for a Mr. Gold though, unfortunately it will be insanely overpriced if I don't get one and have to buy online...
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2013
    It'll be interesting to see how the prices compare with the limited edition C3-PO, which was limited to 10,000 units. Most of those are still sold in sealed packets, whereas I'd imagine most of the (genuine) 5,000 Mr Gold minifigs will be opened.
    Lol @samiam continuing to piggyback on the joke.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,357
    @paul_merton - I don't expect much more than £50 for the Mr Gold Minifigures personally, the golden C-3PO is popular with Star Wars collectors of course, which greatly inflates the price. I think the Comic Con exclusives are a more accurate gauge of what these might cost. They tend to set you back between £100 and £150, and given that they are limited edition to 1000 each I expect a cost significantly lower than that.

We will have to wait and see though!
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    The name is very good... Alas, not a real figure. I'm away to purchase the new BT tower set.
  • ZacheranoZacherano Member Posts: 59
    Perhaps someone might be able to review the minifigure on Ameribricks....
    Penkid11
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    April Fools joke ? No way.. I just used my Google Nose apps to verify OP's picture
    The fig might be real, but it's not one of five!
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    ^ you mean 1 of 5000......
    edited April 2013
    The guy said one of five in the OP. we all know about the 5000. This fig was purported to be "extra special".
    ^^^It's 14kt gold, and not the same as the chrome version.
    teal93mr2 said:

Lol @samiam continuing to piggyback on the joke.

Piggybacking? Not at all. I don't need to prove anything though. A few weeks and we'll see who is "Lol"ing :-)

• Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    Ah ty
  • simplyoooosimplyoooo Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    username LordPaisy_AFOL is an anagram of April Fools Day ... nice one though :)
    edited April 2013
    ^Erm... uncanny coincidence of course...? ;o)
  • polarbomberpolarbomber Member Posts: 41
    best april fool yet , congrats to author
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    Did anyone notice this newest Chima set added to the database (Rabbiz) ?

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=30256-1
    margot
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    ^ I did, but quite frankly, some of that Chima stuff is so weird that I had no idea whether it was an April Fool's Day joke or not!
    Furrysaurus
  • TheCultLeaderTheCultLeader KansasMember Posts: 48
    ^His torso looks identical to Winzar's. Hmm, Lego must be getting lazy.
    dragonhawk
  • BrickographyBrickography Member Posts: 15
    Almost got me.....almost. I should have known not to click on the thread lol Nicely played!
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 799
    Given there's no follow up comments or history for the OP I would say this is a hoax although I hope not for @samiam's sake.

If true it is a great marketing stunt from TLG. 5000 chromes is one thing but five 14k gold and a factory tour, well that's a real game changer.
  • nuno2500nuno2500 Member Posts: 1
    April Fools Day...i hope! Well, regarding the regular Mr Gold, check my FB page: LEGO: Please put a Mr.Gold in each box of 60

https://www.facebook.com/MrGold60
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    you could get a million likes - they aren't going to change it. and heck, it's far too late anyway, as most of the boxes are packed, shipped and gone out in the wild.
  • 4brickmoney4brickmoney Member Posts: 27
    I hate April fools day on the internet. It is alright the first day but things seem to never die. The joke will come back in a month or two starting a whole new problem. Heck I remember one where they actually posted it late on the 31st of march.
    pharmjod

Given there's no follow up comments or history for the OP I would say this is a hoax although I hope not for @samiam's sake.

If true it is a great marketing stunt from TLG. 5000 chromes is one thing but five 14k gold and a factory tour, well that's a real game changer.

@GothamConstructionCo- Thanks for the concern!

Although I should tell you, I never purchased anything. ;o)
    GothamConstructionCo

Heck I remember one where they actually posted it late on the 31st of march.

You mean...like this one here did?

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    edited April 2013
    ^ Was gone midnight in the Oz, Asia and Europe when it went live. ;-)
    I get that, but the other half of the world was not.
    @Legoboy - It wasn't gone midnight in Europe, I am in the UK and it came up at about 10:30pm.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,526
    Isn't it time that rabbit chima thing was removed from the database too?
    edited April 2013
    ^ @CapnRex101 - I said "live".

The thread was created at exactly 10.30pm GMT. The thread went live at 11:52pm GMT when Rocao moved it to 'collecting' ie. 12.52am european time aka. April 1st. :o)
    @Legoboy - Ah I see, fair enough.
    edited April 2013
    tensor said:

I get that, but the other half of the world was not.

But it was started slap bang in the middle of the timezones? Five of the seven continents were post midnight. :o)