Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Stickers

Comments

• ryan498ryan498 Member Posts: 37
    I would rather purchase models with printed bricks, even though they maybe more expensive. I would rather do that than having stickers which would peel off after a while.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    @flump6523 - So will LEGO not replace licensed sticker sheets?
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,088
    When I was a kid.... back before LEGO stickers even existed (they were introduced circa 1970-71)... each LEGO selling country had their own spare parts pack (from 1956-65 it was #226)... that was in the local language. Some bilingual or multilingual countries had more generic signs (such as Belgium or Switzerland) such as KIOSK, CAFE, ESSO SERVICE, HOTEL, GARAGE.

Below are 2 images from that era (used in Chapter 33 - "Printed, Stickered & Painted LEGO Elements" of my LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide on CD)...

The first image was of the 10 1x6 and 1x8 beams with names that was found in the USA #226 pack.

The European #226 box was smaller, and contained only 7 beams (8 prior to 1958). The 2nd image shows (left to right, top to bottom)... 1960s French named beams, 1960s Italian named beams, 1950s German named beams, 1960s German named beams, and 1960s Danish named beams.

Although these old beams are generally unknown to many modern LEGO collectors... old time collectors avidly collect these. Some rare beams can command $50-$100... such as "GARAJSE" (Norwegian for Garage), "ESSO HUOLTO" (Finnish for Esso Service), or my favorite... used in the (1958-62) 308 Fire Station set, the version sold in Belgium had "BRANDWEER" (Flemish) printed on one side, and "POMPIERS" (French) printed on the other side.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    @georgebjones - up until about 18 months ago, TLG allowed customers to buy one additional licensed sticker sheet. I was brought out of my dark ages by Star Wars UCS, but this was only 3 years ago. You will know that a fair few of the UCS range were long gone by then but fortunately TLG still had some of the stickers. I was able to get spares for most of the older sets. But about 18 months ago, I'm not sure why but they changed the rules and would only replace faulty (creased) sticker sets. So now, if if there is any reason to replace I ask TLG to the do the honors and then purchase additional sets through Bricklink.
    Lucas has been doing some strange things with the license lately, requiring figs to be glued to magnets, restricting sticker distribution. It's weird.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    You're right, although it's not just SW. I can't even buy spare fabrics for a QAR! I really don't understand the rationale behind it.
  • WillhornerWillhorner Member Posts: 36
    What are the legal ramification of archiving scans of sticker sets on the web for public or private access? Aside from legal what does TLG think about it? anyone know? Any AFOL lawyers out there can give your opinion?I could easily be convinced to do this if TLG didn't have an issue with it, but i won't do anything that would be against their wishes, not to mention legal issues.
  • knuclear200xknuclear200x Member Posts: 45
    Even with a lot of practice and a pair of pointy tweezers, I still cant help but stick it all wrong. It's either crooked or non-symmetrical.
    edited August 2011
    Willhorner, there are folks out there that are producing "copies" of stickers.... many different ones, even seen them for sale on EBAY and possibly websites.

While it does serve a use (not sure what TLG thinks of the sellers)... the real problem is the secondary market for fake items. This will be an ever increasing problem for LEGO stickers, LEGO boxes/instructions, and even LEGO parts in the present... but especially as technology improves, in the future.
  • WillhornerWillhorner Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2011
    Im just saying a file share for scans of genuine sticker sheets would be easy to set up. Assuming it was ok with TLG.
    I am thinking that since they only allow one replacement for licensed sets, that the answer would be No, it is not OK with TLG. :(
  • SemiSemi Member Posts: 1
    I did found that "TUPAKKAA" 1x6 brick from my legos today.

I tried to find any information about that, because in Finland we have really strict law of tobacco and alcohol advertisement. And "TUPAKKAA" as sign in toy for children, no way! ... So I figured that brick must be old.

Condition is somewhat perfect, I'm quite sure that some collectors would like to have that on their collections. There was also 'Esso huolto', 'Kobmand' and 'garage' 1x8 bricks.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    My vote for most ridiculous sticker of all time. It's a little Frankenstein head for a 1x1x1 corner panel. Really LEGO, c'mon man!

• GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    ^ I was wondering if it was a real LEGO sticker, but BrickLink says it is from 8670 Jump Master. It doesn't look so bad on the car or even on the sticker sheet, but just on a brick it looks ridiculous indeed.
  • BigOnBricksBigOnBricks Member Posts: 22
    I usually buy a spare sheet for every set I purchase. It doesn't cost that much and I like knowing I have them. I find the models just look incomplete without the stickers.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 416
    edited February 2012
    Loathe Lego for using stickers on their sets. Recently built the SW republic frigate and put the stickers on. The only problem now is that stickers on curved surfaces are unraveling itself at the edge (especially bad on the escape pod and engines). Is there anyway to mitigate this problem?
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,249
    Amen to that.. I hate the stickers. The printed bricks were so much better. Only really good way to solve this is to really just try and "force" it on. Besides that, you don't really have anything else you can do. It's like any other sticker, they wear after time once they are peeled and such.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    <----- harbors intense disgust toward them
    <----- harbors intense disgust toward them</p>
    I'm just going to re-post this because of the 100% truth represented in that statement for everyone that likes LEGO.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Use a little non-liquid glue. You might also consider doing that from the start rather than relying on the sticker's adhesive alone.
    ^If you plan to re-sell it though, I wouldn't suggest doing that. If you plan on keep it, go for @prof1515's suggestion.
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 169
    edited February 2012
    I had the same problem with the Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship and the stickers on the round engine nacelles. I used black Contact paper (shelf liner) and cut neat thin strips and anchored the ends down with half of it on the sticker and half on the plastic. You could use Contact paper (your choice of color as it will be a custom stripe!) or try Automotive pinstripe tape. The problem is finding contact paper in different colors. Since you don't need a lot, even the paper with patterns is ok if you can find a big enough patch of color you need. I know the contact paper can be removed without harm.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 615
    The stickers I found hardest to apply properly were on the Mars Mission alien ships, those stickers on the big black curved pieces. Getting them to line up straight with the edges was a pain! Also, in the Batman Bat-Tank set, there is a sticker for one of the 2x2 round bricks, but the curve is too severe and the ends always peel off and straighten themselves. I finally used a small-diameter rubber band to keep the sticker fully engaged to the round brick...

At least TLG is getting better about not using STAMPs (stickers across multiple parts)...the Town Plan (10184) (movie theater marquee and Octan station sign) was the worst example I can think of.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    ^ I just cleaned and rebuilt the Jabba's barge I picked up and it has some stickers that bridge a 2x2 tile and a 1x2 tile. Also the Maersk train which is a more recent set has stickers for the sides of the cargo boxes that bridge 3 like 1x8 bricks. That train was annoying with how many stickers it had.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Will a regular glue stick work?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    ^ I would think certain glue sticks might work well. Some of them are a harder glue material that allows for a thin layer to be applied while some glue sticks are a big tube of goop that gets all over everything at the slightest touch. The former would probably work great for LEGO stickers since it would be a light application of adhesive.

I'm really not a fan of LEGO using stickers but I haven't had much trouble with them either. I've bought a lot of older used sets recently that had stickers applied poorly and I was able to easily peel them off and reapply them without corners or edges being much of an issue.
  • KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 119
    edited April 2012
    On lot's of sets we get these days we get a LOT of stickers. For example in set 7627 from the LEGO Indiana Jones theme where you get a baseplate where you have to add stickers. We didn't get that many in the 90's. I may apply my stickers to my sets, because they bring them to life but why do we have so many stickers these days?
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    I think it is because printed parts are so expensive to produce. Stickers are cost effective and can be produced in high quantities in a shorter time-frame.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    edited April 2012
    Back in the 90's, LEGO wasn't as popular and the economy was much better.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,267
    Guessing that @LegobrandonCP is right, it is a cost thing a lot cheaper to print stickers than print on brick.
  • KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 119
    One thing which makes me angry is when minifigures have stickers on the torso like the old LEGO Ferrari or the team telekom sets.

Another thing which I don't like about those stickers is that they'll crumble off like you see here on this picture:
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    If you're applying a sticker to a curved piece you could make a clean cut in it with an x-acto knife. This allows it to. Either overlap just slightly or you can take out a tiny pie shape piece, but if you cut it on the piece the knife will probably scratch the brick.

For frayed edges clear fingernail polish might work - I have not tried it.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    What Is frustrating is when a cheap Cars themed set gets multiple printed parts but expensive USC Star Wars collector sets use stickers.
    @Semi If you ever want to sell that Finnish 1959-66 TUPAKKAA or ESSO HUOLTO sign, they are very rare and would probably get at least $50 each (especially the nicer TUPAKKAA sign). The KOBMAND sign is Danish and not that rare, and the GARAGE is very common... although odd to find it in Finland... I know that in Norway GARAGE is "GARASJE", another very rare and valuable sign.
  • recordmanrecordman Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2012
    Yesterday I picked up a very nice Coast Guard Station, Set #575. As you can see, it's mostly complete (missing just 8 elements). The torso stickers are in great shape and are the regular trapezoid shape. On the sticker sheet are 5, what I assume, torso stickers but they are rectangular.

I've never seen rectangular torso stickers before. I collect figs in any variation, so I want to add example figs with these stickers to the collection. Also, why isn't there a variation with the air tank on?

It seems to me that these may qualify to be added to the database along with env001 and env002.

Thanks, Andy
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 470
    I don't if this is the right answer or not, but I'm think the rectangular strickers go on a vest. Just eyeballing it these look about the same size as the stickers from 375/6075 which are the only ones I'm familiar with.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    My guess would be a vest as well, as far as I can tell, however, there are no vests included in this set. Perhaps the set was originally supposed to include vests but was later changed without changing the sticker sheet?
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure about the vest thing since the set didn't come with any, and there's a feature line down the middle which wouldn't be ideal for sticking.

It would be interesting to speak to some of the retired design staff who worked in R&D back then to get some insight on why the two sets of stickers. It's also interesting that the instructions show the badge on the other side of the buttons.

Andy
  • JpegJpeg Member Posts: 22
    I have a couple of these sets (including the Canadian version) and have wondered about the two sets of torso stickers. My theory is that since this was practically the first minifig set to come out, being a variation of 369 with the older faceless/armless figs, they were still in the design process for minifig torso stickers.

Looking at the sticker sheet, the smaller stickers are more central and may have been designed first. The triangular stickers we are familiar with are at the bottom of the sheet and may have been added at the last minute. They were probably happy to leave the rectangular ones on the sheet as "spares?

I don't have the Canadian sticker sheet so I'm not sure if they included them, but I do have two versions of the US sticker sheet - look the same but different paper quality and one looks like it was cut from a larger sheet (i.e. a long piece of sticker paper, like a roll, instead of being a stand alone sheet).
    Excellent insight on the transition between styles. I hadn't thought of that. Does anyone have any info on the early history of figs? A lot of times former employees have stuff stashed away that can shed light on stuff like this. It could be prototype drawings or even actual prototypes.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,074
    edited June 2012
    Hi everybody,
    for a planned MOC i'm looking for Classic-Space-Logo sticker. Does anybody know if there's a set that came with a sticker-sheet with those logos on it?
    Thanks for your help!
  • JpegJpeg Member Posts: 22
    Some of the very early Classic Space sets came with stickers. Presumably because the printed torsos and bricks were unready or only became ready at the last minute. So there are some bricks and space torsos with stickers out there but there are hard to find and often in poor condition. The actual sticker sheets are even rarer. Here's a picture of one on Brickshelf - I've never seen one in the wild myself.
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=786856
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    Might be easier to print your own? Stickers don't seem to last well and the price for those that do is often outrageous.
    Here's another interesting thing I noticed. The torso stickers used on the figs pictured on the box are most likely prototypes. They are thin strips cut out around the buttons and badge. I'll call these a "backwards 1" or "flag" shape. All of the figs pictured on the box have them. These figs may still be floating around somewhere in an ex-employees' desk.

I've seen this on other toys where companies are in a hurry to get products to market and don't wait for production parts to do their catalog artwork or, in this case, the box artwork. I've seen hand-painted items used for catalog photos. Who would think to look this close.

I've decided to use the rectangular stickers on some period figs as true variations of this early fig for my collection. Maybe the Mods here would consider a permanent thread for fig variations/history.

Thanks, Andy
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Who would think to look this close.
    Only a true AFOL. :O)
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,074
    Hmm,not really an option! I wanted to use "official"stickers! So nobody knows a set with a classic-space logo sticker-sheet?
  • markeyboymarkeyboy Member Posts: 3
    You will not find it easy to locate official Classic Space stickers. Especially unused ones.
    I have a MISB 6970 that has two unused blue stickers for the flag.
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6970stk01

I also have a MISB 924 with two sticker sheets containg two stickers per sheet,one in red and the other white. These were used for the two plain minifig torso's that came with the set.

I can't think of any other Classic Space set with stickers other than what Jpeg mentioned about the very first early Space sets with stickers for the minifigs.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    this was my second Lego set ever, i got it when i was about 8 yrs old for x-mas. i however do not remember the extra stickers....the last of the regular chest sticker just wore off the last little bit, off one of the mini figures....id say i still have 60% of the peices, some mangled directions, and a flattened box.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    Here's another interesting thing I noticed. The torso stickers used on the figs pictured on the box are most likely prototypes.

I've seen this on other toys where companies are in a hurry to get products to market and don't wait for production parts to do their catalog artwork or, in this case, the box artwork. I've seen hand-painted items used for catalog photos. Who would think to look this close.
    Lego have done it quite recently too ... take a close look at Wonder Woman as discussed here.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/3864

• GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    It's also interesting that the instructions show the badge on the other side of the buttons.
    Not in the photo's though... Maybe, it's like @Jpeg says:
    My theory is that since this was practically the first minifig set to come out, being a variation of 369 with the older faceless/armless figs, they were still in the design process for minifig torso stickers.
    But I'm curious; what reasoning made them decide to put it this way?