Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379

If there's a company you want to get mad at, it would be Samsung. Stole Apple IP to create the Galaxy, all labor and parts come from China at lesser quality factories than Foxxcon, then colluded with the Chinese media on a smear campaign to defame Apple in the fast growing market, got caught red-handed by the public, and now backtracking to cover it up. In the meanwhile, Apple announces a desire to move some manufacturing back to US as a show of support to small businesses here, since they will be working with contractors instead of Apple-owned operations.

So as @Bandit said, it shouldn't be Apple that gets bashed alone. And if you were to support any of them at all based on personal ethics, who would you rather choose?

The only place that Samsung has been found liable for violating Apple's IP is in the U.S. My understanding from some of the folks who are working on those cases is that Samsung has won in every jurisdiction around the world other than the U.S. and, in the U.S., Samsung was found to have violated such groundbreaking innovations as the shape and color of the iPhone and the curved edges of Apple's icons.

y2joshTheLoneTensor
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,397
    ....................Ta Da!

Yes, probably a scammer. But as already mentioned, you are under contract with him too ship the item he has paid for.

Just do everything you can to protect yourself in the possibility of having to open a case:
    -Get insurance
    -Get tracking
    -Signature confirmation
    -Proof of delivery
    -Take pictures of the item before you ship it out
    -Take pictures of the packaging
    -Take pictures of the address label
    -Take a few more pictures of the set itself

And for future reference, when selling such a high priced item, put the setting on it that they must have more than 0 feedback. You may get scammers with 2 or so feedback, but it should limit them some, if only a little.

The fact he has that type of feedback will also help your case should he try to scam you. When you open the case, make sure you direct the staff to it.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited March 2013
    samiam391 said:

And for future reference, when selling such a high priced item, put the setting on it that they must have more than 0 feedback. You may get scammers with 2 or so feedback, but it should limit them some, if only a little.

The advice is spot on, except for this one. The setting allows sellers to block people with -1 or lower feedback from buying which is pretty useless. If you know a way to block buyers with 0 or lower feedback, please share it. Most people on this thread will be eternally grateful.
    pharmjod
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002

samiam391 said:

The advice is spot on, except for this one. The setting allows sellers to block people with -1 or lower feedback from buying which is pretty useless. If you know a way to block buyers with 0 or lower feedback, please share it. Most people on this thread will be eternally grateful.
    And this is another fine example of eBay's sheer laziness, since it's virtually impossible to get a -1 feedback at this point, given that the seller can't leave negative feedback for a buyer, nor does eBay generate automatic negative feedback for known problem buyers. Basically a completely useless setting as it stands.

If there's a company you want to get mad at, it would be Samsung. Stole Apple IP to create the Galaxy, all labor and parts come from China at lesser quality factories than Foxxcon, then colluded with the Chinese media on a smear campaign to defame Apple in the fast growing market, got caught red-handed by the public, and now backtracking to cover it up. In the meanwhile, Apple announces a desire to move some manufacturing back to US as a show of support to small businesses here, since they will be working with contractors instead of Apple-owned operations.

So as @Bandit said, it shouldn't be Apple that gets bashed alone. And if you were to support any of them at all based on personal ethics, who would you rather choose?

The only place that Samsung has been found liable for violating Apple's IP is in the U.S. My understanding from some of the folks who are working on those cases is that Samsung has won in every jurisdiction around the world other than the U.S. and, in the U.S., Samsung was found to have violated such groundbreaking innovations as the shape and color of the iPhone and the curved edges of Apple's icons.

Eh. Personally, I think the Samsung tablets are much sturdier than at least the original iPads (haven't bothered using any since, so I can't speak to quality on the newer models). I think it's more or less irrelevant at this point, though. You're always going to see these tech giants outsource to the cheapest manufacturers so long as quality can meet a certain level, and I believe Jobs was correct to state that those jobs aren't returning (no time in the near future, anyway).

Insofar as Samsung violating Apple's IP... it just seems to me that Apple as a company probably knows their days of being able to sell what is, at best, an equally useful product for double the price based on branding alone are fast falling behind them. Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs, nor does he even have his own version of Steve Wozniak or Bill Gates to help elevate him. This just seems like a Sony-style stunt born more out of desperation and less out of necessity. Just my opinion there, though.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    people pay apple prices because A) they think it's a better product, which isn't always true, and B) it's the "trendy" or "cool" product to have. this can be a fickle thing, once the next "cool" thing comes along

in regards to the IP issue, which I have lightly read into before - it's absurd for any company to claim that a "rounded icon" or a "beveled case" is somehow a patentable, protectable IP. these are some great examples of where patent law is WOEFULLY outdated when it comes to technology. but the tech giants of the world know the game - patent everything, use your army of lawyers to sue everyone who comes along.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,109
    Thoughts on the Technic Challange Winner model coming this summer? At just 20,000 units it seems demand will explode for this set. Even without that I think there are a lot of positive factors like the dark blue, the unique musclecar-monstercar style which I don't believe Technic has done before etc. I have to wonder if Lego will really limit itself to only making 20,000 if the initial run sells out really fast. I could see this going the way of Minecraft where the initial batch gets gobbled up and sells for a ton until they start making more again and it all levels out. Granted a $200 Technic set is quite a different animal than a $35 licensed set but I could see this set causing a similar stir this next Autumn. Not to mention the whole Resellers vs Timmy arguments that are sure to reappear around this set.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    US S&H is showing Tower Bridge as "Call to check product availability" and you are not able to add it to your bag. I do not recall #10214 ever doing this before. Of course there is no "Retiring soon" label on it either.

When I called customer service they said there was very low inventory and that they could take my order but could not guarantee I would get it. I inquired as to whether it would be coming back in stock and after a few minutes on hold the rep said it looked like there would be more coming but she did not have a date or time range. Rather curious as usually you see an expected ship date or will ship in 30 days comment.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    There have been lots of times something shows out of stock without a date, then magically it comes back in stock.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    It is not done yet.
  • jcb193jcb193 Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2013
    NM...

edited.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,285
    So, is the DS EOL'd yet?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404

Thoughts on the Technic Challange Winner model coming this summer? At just 20,000 units it seems demand will explode for this set. Even without that I think there are a lot of positive factors like the dark blue, the unique musclecar-monstercar style which I don't believe Technic has done before etc. I have to wonder if Lego will really limit itself to only making 20,000 if the initial run sells out really fast. I could see this going the way of Minecraft where the initial batch gets gobbled up and sells for a ton until they start making more again and it all levels out. Granted a $200 Technic set is quite a different animal than a $35 licensed set but I could see this set causing a similar stir this next Autumn. Not to mention the whole Resellers vs Timmy arguments that are sure to reappear around this set.

Is there a link available for the winning model?
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    ^I was about to post about it. I think it will do pretty well. At 20,000 units made, and priced at 200$ or so (can't remember), not many people will pick it up. Or maybe that number would meet demand? I'm not much of a technic guy.

That is... if Lego actually only does 20,000 of them.
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102
    Set #10214 back at us [email protected] with status "available now". But strange is, there are two version numbers. One is available the other one not.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    What are everyone's thoughts on the May 4th Han Solo promo fig? TC-14 and purple pants Hulk I could sell all day long for $30 to my overseas customers. This Han I am thinking $15 only. With first class prices to overseas now much more expensive this May 4th sale looks set to join last years BF and Xmas sale...a big pass.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^Pass. I was hoping for a Jawa. Fat chance of that.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    He's alright, but definitely not as special as the Hulk or TC-14 specials, can't see him being as sort after.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,109
    The lack of chrome hurts as does the fact that most SW collectors already have a dozen Hans. Better than I imaged he would be though. $15 does sound about right
    Sounds like he'll be extremely valuable down the line, then.
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    I didn't get the Space Police 3 base when it first came out, but I found it on Bricklink for a reasonable price a year later. What irritates me is when Lego suddenly drop a perfectly good line without warning (for example, I thought Pirates and Kingdoms had potential, although nice to see a new replacement Castle range).

samiam391 said:

Bleah. Thanks for the catch, my mistake.

There are a few on there that are good for limiting fraud:
    -Have a primary shipping address in countries that I don't ship to
    -Have received "Number of unpaid item cases" Unpaid item case(s) within "Unpaid item case(s) duration limit" month(s)

Small.. somewhat useless.. but still slightly helpful.

Undoubtedly, you'd expect a site as large as eBay to have better buyer requirements set in place.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ I don't think eBay cares that much about it. Fraud is probably a small percentage of their business. I think they consider it a cost of business and have it figured into their costs, so as long as it doesn't get out of hand they don't care. Based on my experience, they don't seem to care much about fraudulent sellers or buyers.
    edited March 2013
    cloaked7 said:

^ I don't think eBay cares that much about it. Fraud is probably a small percentage of their business. I think they consider it a cost of business and have it figured into their costs, so as long as it doesn't get out of hand they don't care. Based on my experience, they don't seem to care much about fraudulent sellers or buyers.

Of course. They have little to no competition. Which is why the continue to hike up prices. Agreed, fraud does little to their business.

It's another BL.. just with a slightly much more user friendly and modern interface.

It's nice to think though that eBay cares maybe a little bit, even if they don't. Which they don't...
  • adam2edenadam2eden Member Posts: 13
    I found a few 21016 in a nearby BN store but I can't decide if I should get them or not. In my opinion they are terrible sets but it seems the price are OK on eBay. What do you guys think? They also have 2 republic frigate (7964).
  • wilburwilbur Member Posts: 49
    Depends on he price of the frigate. If its at rrp I wouldn't bite. It's doing maybe 10% above rrp on eBay currently. IMO there are much better ways to invest $120
  • Greedfly13Greedfly13 Member Posts: 19
    I was just browsing [email protected] and noticed that #10228 is OOS with an expected ship date of mid-April. I haven't been following this set closely...anyone have any thoughts as to whether that could mean anything? I'm headed down the Michigan Ave store in a few hours and will probably pick one up if they have any in stock - I don't want to miss out having this one in my collection!
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    I think the consensus is that this will be around at least through the end of the year. Most likely a couple of years.

I was just browsing [email protected] and noticed that #10228 is OOS with an expected ship date of mid-April. I haven't been following this set closely...anyone have any thoughts as to whether that could mean anything? I'm headed down the Michigan Ave store in a few hours and will probably pick one up if they have any in stock - I don't want to miss out having this one in my collection!

It means that it's OOS with an expected ship date of mid-April, and nothing more. Speculating anything more than that is pure guessing as Lego has played both ends of the spectrum with sustaining/dropping good sets (#10197 & #10216). That said, if I didn't have it already for display, I would get it as soon as I saw it, even at RRP. It's that good a set, and would hate to pay aftermarket prices on it.
    Pitfall69madforLEGOcardgenius
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    It's available on Amazon. Nothing to worry about.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,285
    ^-- watching Amazon like a hawk for a price drop too :-)
    I believe that the #10228 is OOS right now due to double points offer for VIPs. I was waiting until now to get this set at the LEGO store to take advantage of the double points, and apparently many others were too.
    I'm guessing that many of the 'bigger' sets will be on back-order due to this, because if you are going to pay retail, you may as well get something back for it.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    That's why I don't wait for a sale to buy a set I really want. Although I think I got one for 10% off and the other at RRP.
  • cardgeniuscardgenius Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013
    Just bought my HH last night. I too was waiting for the 2x VIP points to hit so I could use it with my 10% off coupon. I had noticed it OOS on [email protected] and got a bit worried so I hurried down to LEGO Store.

When I got there they only had 2 left. The guy inline in front of me was buying the 3rd one and was talking about how he had been waiting for 2x VIP. He went big time though, bought the Haunted House, Grand Emporium and Pet Shop. His buddy he was with bought a couple modulars too but they were in the bag so I couldnt see exactly.

Definitely a kick ass set. I got the bottom level finished last night and am gonna work on the rest tonight. The Zombie Heads as head posts are a nice touch, had never noticed that until last night. Like @tensor said, buy it now cause I would hate to miss out on it and have to pay aftermarket price.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    Just got back from the Disneyland Lego store with the HH via 2x VIP+10%. They had 4 left on the shelf in case anyone in the SoCal area is still looking for one.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    Picked up Arkham Asylum.
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    HH is not going anywhere fast.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    Hurry up GE to be discontinued before FB.
    Visited 2 local LEGO stores yesterday to stock up on GE via double points, both were out of stock, talked to the manager in one of the stores and she confirmed that they are not getting more.
  • PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 275
    Which do we think will go first? Haunted House, Fire Brigade or Tower Bridge? Had them all in and out of my basket today and can't decide which is priority [rolls eyes] ...
  • JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 228
    April fools! ^
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    PoMoPink said:

Which do we think will go first? Haunted House, Fire Brigade or Tower Bridge? Had them all in and out of my basket today and can't decide which is priority [rolls eyes] ...

I would day to go for tower bridge. I reckon that and fire brigade are due to go soon but tower bridge will cost you more in the aftermarket.
    I think that the Haunted House will command more than TB in the aftermarket, at least in the US. Don't get me wrong, the TB is a gorgeous set (as is the original - seriously wow), but:

a) Halloween is a pretty big holiday here

b) The appeal and desire for the HH will be rekindled every October

c) The HH has a lot more playability

d) Gauging by the Xmas sets, the HH should follow suit
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ (checking crystal ball) Yup, I think the HH will do the best of the two. Also, in its favor -
    e) a lower cost which makes it more affordable
    f) it appeals to more groups, kids and adults
    g) it has sand green bricks
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    Plus it would finish next year anyway
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    I told the missus that after going mad on SW sets towards the end of last year that id be getting some modular sets. HH is showing as shipped but placed an order for HH, FB, GE, TW and PS but apart from HH all are showing on my order status as "backordered".

Im in the UK and they are showing in stock but worried about not getting them as i can see that most have been discontinued on US site.

What are my chances of getting them?

As i said, i have a lot of SW stuff but anyone got any ideas on whats on its way out? Dont mind stocking up...

Thanks
    edited April 2013
    If by 'TW' you meant 'TH,' then every single one of those you listed is currently available on the US site EXCEPT for the Haunted House, which is showing an estimated ship date of April 14th.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Thanks for the reply...I actually meant Tower Bridge

I was going off brickset guide showing PS, TB and PS as finished in US/CA. dont know where i got GE from though.

They are all showing available on UK site but order statuses vary between In Process (5-6 days now) and Backordered.

thanks
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 96
    SiE said:

Is this jabbas palace story definately an april fool??

Definitely not. Amazon is sold out. Target online sold out shortly thereafter and the find it in store link does not work anymore. It was working around 4:30pm ET. I went to Target and price matched 2 with Target.com's price. They had one left.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302312/Muslims-declare-victory-fight-anti-Islamic-lego-Denmark-promises-axe-Jabba-s-Palace-toy.html