Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Series 10 CMF

Comments

• MinifiguresPlusMinifiguresPlus Member Posts: 217
    ^ Yeah, I'm guessing with how many pre-orders came in last time, the likely figure in our shipment will likely go to a customer. (Of course, we keep them in the LEGO packing boxes, so they won't/can't be sifted through.) ;)
    Pitfall69
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Pitfall69 said:

^Most people on this side of the pond would have no idea where you are located. I think people were mostly poking fun at the price point other than your enormous feedback.

Of course the price is ridiculously high compared to their to be retail price. It's for those who for some reason want to get hold of it in advance and don't mind paying a premium. And I don't mind people pointing that out. That's why I only replied to the guy who brought my feedback into it. As if that somehow made the deal worse, or if I had a higher score that would have somehow made it better. That train of thought was implying that I might be a scammer.

Btw the only other listing I see is not of a complete set but of individual figures at 14.99 USD + 6 USD shipping and that guy already sold two. Mine comes out to 13-14 USD / figure with free shipping. If nobody bites at that price then I'll just go lower.

Got a few questions:

1. Anyone know the set number now?

It's linked to a few posts above. Set number is 71001.
    MinifiguresPlus
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited March 2013
    ^ low feedback combined with unusual, rare, or high demand lego, is, as the community will tell you here, sadly often a real warning sign.
    You have highlighted it's not relevant here, which is fine.

Maybe set up a trade thread here, you might get some decent offers given you are early with them?

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    edited March 2013
    Hardrada said:

Of course the price is ridiculously high compared to their to be retail price. It's for those who for some reason want to get hold of it in advance and don't mind paying a premium. And I don't mind people pointing that out. That's why I only replied to the guy who brought my feedback into it. As if that somehow made the deal worse, or if I had a higher score that would have somehow made it better. That train of thought was implying that I might be a scammer.

That guy was me, and that train of thought was not implying that you are a scammer, it was absolutely implying that based on that auction alone, you have nothing to show that you aren't a scammer. Sorry, but the reality of the internet/ebay/etc. is that scammers exist, and they prey. If you exhibit signs of being one, astute people will pick up on it and avoid you like the plague.

You are apparently trying to establish a baseline, or watermark - great, it'll be nice to know what stupid people will pay initially for this enigmatic series. But, don't think for a moment that strong, diverse feedback has no effect on the final price of something sold on ebay - or the ability to sell it at all. It has everything to do with it.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,523
    A scammer would list these at low prices.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191

vwong19 said:

I am curious if prices for S10 will be low since people will buy boxes just to get Mr Gold and need to offload the figures.

Very keen observation. One may then be able to buy all 16 or a random assortment for next to nothing.

Once they become available globally, may I add...

I am curious about the production count for this series. If you look on the availability of CMF set for sale by series on Bricklink, http://www.bricklink.com/browseTree.asp?itemType=S, the numbers seem steady except for low production initially in S1 and an apparent over production in S7 and then compensated with lower output in S8.
    Collectible Minifigures (156067)
    Series 1 Minifigures (3609)
    Series 2 Minifigures (10325)
    Series 3 Minifigures (13257)
    Series 4 Minifigures (21385)
    Series 5 Minifigures (20221)
    Series 6 Minifigures (21647)
    Series 7 Minifigures (33421)
    Series 8 Minifigures (9366)
    Series 9 Minifigures (19965)

Although if you look at the minifigure only count, then S4 had a high production run as well.
    http://www.bricklink.com/browseTree.asp?itemType=M

Where will S10 production be?
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @vwong19 I like where you are going with that. I would say the numbers are skewed as it does not include the minifigures category and complete boxes of 30 and 60 only count as one.

As for series 1 being low, I would attribute that to maybe not many people selling them. I came out of my dark ages right after they were released. From what I heard my local LEGO store only got 2-4 boxes of 60
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,454

^ Yeah, I'm guessing with how many pre-orders came in last time, the likely figure in our shipment will likely go to a customer. (Of course, we keep them in the LEGO packing boxes, so they won't/can't be sifted through.) ;)

I absolutely love that when buying minifigure boxes from you, that they are in the original shipping box.
    MinifiguresPlus

@vwong19 I like where you are going with that. I would say the numbers are skewed as it does not include the minifigures category and complete boxes of 30 and 60 only count as one.

As for series 1 being low, I would attribute that to maybe not many people selling them. I came out of my dark ages right after they were released. From what I heard my local LEGO store only got 2-4 boxes of 60

There may be a correlation between what is available and what Lego has produced in terms of CMF's. We all know that Series 1s production was low and distribution was awful. From what I read about Series 3 is that Series was way overproduced, but according to your findings Series 2 and 3 are close in availability on Bricklink.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^I say take it also on $400. I feel the average price will settle much lower than that.
    tensor said:

That guy was me, and that train of thought was not implying that you are a scammer, it was absolutely implying that based on that auction alone, you have nothing to show that you aren't a scammer. Sorry, but the reality of the internet/ebay/etc. is that scammers exist, and they prey. If you exhibit signs of being one, astute people will pick up on it and avoid you like the plague.

You are apparently trying to establish a baseline, or watermark - great, it'll be nice to know what stupid people will pay initially for this enigmatic series. But, don't think for a moment that strong, diverse feedback has no effect on the final price of something sold on ebay - or the ability to sell it at all. It has everything to do with it.

Well, my listing fails to show any signs of the usual scams:
    - I've put up actual photos of the items I sell, not stock photos.
    - I'm not selling at ridiculously low prices - quite the contrary.
    - I don't have manipulated feedback acquired by selling some 1 USD gadgets. Don't know whether that can be looked up by onlookers but all I've sold on eBay so far are 4 Lego sets.
    - I'm from Hungary (which is shown in the listing) and that is consistent with the info that most Lego fans know by now - namely that Series 10 is already out in Hungary.

Of course better feedback correlates to more buyer confidence and thus higher selling prices on average. But I fail to see anything with regards to my listing that shows that I might be a scammer. If I was trying to scam I'd surely list at lower prices so that I could sell more of nothing. What an idiotic scammer would price out most of his potential prey?
    ^ I no problem with your listing, although I had no idea where Debrecen, Hadju-Bajar was. If most of my American Bricksetters knew, then I guess I'm the ignorant one. It didn't say you were in Hungary.
    We should steer back on topic. Whatever that may be :)
    Pitfall69 said:

^ I no problem with your listing, although I had no idea where Debrecen, Hadju-Bajar was. If most of my American Bricksetters knew, then I guess I'm the ignorant one. It didn't say you were in Hungary.

Item location: Debrecen, Hajdú-Bihar, Hungary

That's what I see when I take a look at the listing. Anyhow you are right that it's time to move on with the discussion.
    ^When I click on the link with my Android phone it shows the mobile EBay listing and it does not say Hungary. When I click on the seller, it says location US. It must be an EBay app/mobile thing.

Ok. Lets move on.
  • The_CreatorThe_Creator Member Posts: 19
    vwong19 said:

…Series 8 Minifigures (9366)

Is that why I had such a horrendous time finding Series 8 anywhere? Let's hope 10 isn't that way…
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    The most important thing I got out of Hardrada's ebay listing is the picture of the roman! As you can see the Crest is detachable from the Galea (helmet)! Which means you can hoard the roman commander and demote most of them to roman soldier. Once people start figuring this out I see a whole new wave of army builders demanding romans!!!
    This fact might change my whole approach to series 10. Until now I was just going to stay completely away from it and wait for the after market to only get a few Amazonians Apaches and Librarians and 1 of other cool ones like Medusa and old man. But now, I am tempted to get a few cases and sell the unwanted ones cheap just to build a few armies and try my luck a bit. I must resist!
    ^an Apache?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,275
    ^ the Indian one.

^^ I don't think that is an Amazon woman. It looks like it is supposed to be a female highlander to go with the male from series 6.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I got super lucky with the series 8....the other day I found over 80 packs at a K-mart for 50% off. So far I have three complete sets...all unopened...with 12 more packs to check.
    edited March 2013
    graphite said:

^ the Indian one.

Oh, I know, but I thought we decided it was a Pawnee.

I do the same thing. I just lump the Scottish and the Irish together ;)

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,312
    ^ At least it wasn't Scottish and English...
    ^Lol. I was trying to make a point.

We can move along :)
    The problem with the new Roman is the lack of shields. You cannot build an army without shields.
    ^Yes, I agree. If you don't mind using after market Lego parts you could always buy a bunch of shields to go with the Roman minifigure.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I got some roman type shields once in a batch of mixed 'lego', megablocks maybe? They werent v good though, and the scale wasn't right (bit too big).
    The shields that came with Knights Kingdom 2 are very close. All you would need to do is make a decal for them and place it on the blank shields.
    I'm sure if people are patient enough, Lego will make other shields out of that mold. I'm thinking some nice clear riot shields.Then there will be more to choose from and you can customize them to your liking.
  • LegoMinifigLegoMinifig Member Posts: 5
    The gold minifigure, there is only going to be 5,000 in the world. It also comes with a special code to be used at lego.com. It tracks where in the world they are found! I sent a picture to Huw but he never posted it.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    CCC said:

The problem with the new Roman is the lack of shields. You cannot build an army without shields.

Oh that is a bummer. I clearly wasn't paying enough attention and only focused on the helmet and the new torso, never noticed there was no shield! But seriously that was so cheap from LEGO, even roman generals need a shield. That minifig went from a 10 to a 6 in my scale.

At least the warrior woman (still a perfect Amazon IMHO) has a cool shield. In fact I have plans for those shields for a different figure.

CCC said:

Oh that is a bummer. I clearly wasn't paying enough attention and only focused on the helmet and the new torso, never noticed there was no shield! But seriously that was so cheap from LEGO, even roman generals need a shield. That minifig went from a 10 to a 6 in my scale.

At least the warrior woman (still a perfect Amazon IMHO) has a cool shield. In fact I have plans for those shields for a different figure.

Yeah, some people know of my addiction to Roman soldiers, and I feel the same. I was so looking forward to it for exactly the reasons you say. But when the official slide came out it was clear that the shield had been dumped for the cloak and crest. Getting a shield too is probably too much for the price point in the CMF packets, but it will affect their use as an army builder. I will probably aim to get one commander for each eight soldiers. This is a nice number for a small battalion as they fit neatly on a 16x8 plate in two rows of 4, with the commander in front. So I'll still need about 10 commanders ... just not the number I would have gone for if they came with shields.

I am really hoping for a new figure that contains that shield, even in another colour or design. I have tried using clone brands, other "premium" customs, shields from other lego series, but unfortunately they all look rubbish compared to the real Roman soldiers' ones.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    Ok, I held off for as long as I could, but I have to chime in on all this Romance. ;-)

Juvenal recorded for posterity the most hilarious insult launched at the most cowardly and contemptible "gladiators" of the day. No, they didn't have a shield either.

They were "net throwers."

You couldn't get any lower than that! Here comes the lion annnnd... NET! Booooo! So there's an idea if you want to build an army of cowardly conquerors, or prey for all those leftover Minotaurs. Next time you're mad at someone and can't say what you really think, just sneer: "Net thrower!"
    edited March 2013
    ^ I don't really get your point. Gladiators are different to soldiers. The net throwers (retarius) didn't wear Roman soldier armour or helmets, they were meant to be fast, so wore very little armour. I already have a few of them in my arena. They are easily made from a bare chest torso or the existing gladiator torso, yellow legs and brown hips, any head, a trident (I use brickforge ones) and a 10x10 net cut down to about 5x5.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    edited March 2013
    Has it already been pointed out that CMF Series 10 figs are going sold en mass online? If you want any of those figs, Romans included, they will be available in massive quantities on eBay as people figure they can sell them to open more in search of gold.
    ^ I'm not sure yet how that will work out. Will people really be buying up huge numbers to search for him? It seems poor odds in that lottery. If you lose £1 per minifig by selling them off, then it is a similar price to a lottery scratchcard or lottery ticket in the UK. The odds of winning a small seem similar (low), and if the gold figure is "only" worth £100, is it worth it?

I guess we'll wait and see!
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    @CCC I didn't really have a "point" per se, just the anecdote relating to what is apparently going to be a disappointing surfeit of unequipped Romans. From Wikipedia:

Retiarii first appeared in the arena during the 1st century AD and had become standard attractions by the 2nd or 3rd century. The gladiator's lack of armour and his reliance on evasive tactics meant that many considered the retiarius the lowliest (and most effeminate) of an already stigmatised (i.e. gladiators) class. Passages from the works of Juvenal, Seneca, and Suetonius suggest that those retiarii who fought in tunics may have constituted an even more demeaned subtype (retiarii tunicati) who were not viewed as legitimate retiarii fighters but as arena clowns. Nevertheless, Roman artwork, graffiti, and grave markers include examples of specific net-men who apparently had reputations as skilled combatants and lovers.
    edited March 2013
    vwong19 said:

I am curious about the production count for this series. If you look on the availability of CMF set for sale by series on Bricklink, http://www.bricklink.com/browseTree.asp?itemType=S, the numbers seem steady except for low production initially in S1 and an apparent over production in S7 and then compensated with lower output in S8.

I do have some info here.

Series 1 and 2 were already allotted a certain production before they were even released. That being said, neither was changed after the series's took off far beyond what LEGO had expected. That also explains the fact that the price (including bar-codes and extra parts in the packets) did not change until series 3.

Series 3 and 4 were far over produced, but the price was also higher, so demand may have gone down in relevance to this as well.

Series 5 was obviously not popular even though production was corrected.

For now I don't think we are dealing with under-production as series 10 is clearly an achievement mark and the exclusive figure speaks to that. The problem with series 8 was certainly due to the holiday season and its Santa Claus figure. Neither the figure, nor the popularity of the series were things we had seen with series 5, even though it was the series available during the holidays. That being said, I don't believe there was any "lower output" with series 8, but rather a higher demand.

Hope any of that helps.

P.S. I have purchased plenty of series 10 ;)
    Pitfall69
    edited March 2013

I sent a picture to Huw but he never posted it.

Please post here then! :)
    ^I concur. When they raised the price from $1.99 to 2.99 [US] demand went down. Not somuch for the die hard collectors, but mire for the casual collector and for parents who before the price hike, would buy a couple to throw in the cart on a whim. Much like my parents did with sports cards when I was a young boy.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    ^ Not only did the price increase, they also stopped adding extra accessories. Every new series seems to be getting less parts per fig and price stays the same. No wounder why I don't even buy full sets now...
    yys4umadforLEGO
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Makes me glad I haven't caught the CMF collecting bug. I spent an arm and a leg and then some when collecting CCGs trying to finish up every set including all chase cards (I had a Kivas Fajo mentality that way). The addition of a limited chase figure sounds fun but it can be a nightmare for a collector.

As others have mentioned though I think completing a set (minus the chase figure) will be very inexpensive as many new people will jump on the CMF bandwagon in order to add the rare figure to their collection not caring about all the other packs that get in their way.
    VaderX said:

^ Not only did the price increase, they also stopped adding extra accessories. Every new series seems to be getting less parts per fig and price stays the same. No wounder why I don't even buy full sets now...

Do you mean the spare accessories, or the number of accessories you get with each one. The extras given in earlier sets were hardly a deal breaker.

The number of accessories per series has been fairly consistent. Of course, it varies from figure to figure (eg S8 bat has none,whereas the skier gets 4), but overall the number is fairly consistent.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,191
    vwong19 said:

Collectible Minifigures (156067)
    Series 1 Minifigures (3609)
    Series 2 Minifigures (10325)
    Series 3 Minifigures (13257)
    Series 4 Minifigures (21385)
    Series 5 Minifigures (20221)
    Series 6 Minifigures (21647)
    Series 7 Minifigures (33421)
    Series 8 Minifigures (9366)
    Series 9 Minifigures (19965)

Just to follow up my previous post a few days ago, Series 7 availability significantly dropped the past few days... down ~10000 figures!
    Series 7 Minifigures (23774)

I agree with MinifiguresPlus assessment to production. S8 definitely was a holiday aberration. If I took a snapshot of the availability of CMF today, S7 would be normal distribution also.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,998
    VaderX said:

They stopped adding extra accessories because they improved production to the point that they didn't need them. Extra parts were never included as a "gift" to buyers; they're a failsafe in case smaller parts are missing from the set and the weight check can't catch the difference in weight. A more precise weight check means no more need for extra parts.

I don't know where you're getting the notion that there are fewer parts per fig in each series, either. A full set of 16 figs, not counting extras, had the following piece count for each series:

S1: 110 (6.875 per fig)
    S2: 110 (6.875 per fig)
    S3: 110 (6.875 per fig)
    S4: 113 (7.0625 per fig)
    S5: 106 (6.625 per fig)
    S6: 115 (7.1875 per fig)
    S7: 118 (7.375 per fig)
    S8: 118 (7.375 per fig)
    S9: 106 (6.625 per fig)
    S10: 97 (5.7059 per fig)

So yes. Series 9 and 10 have had fewer parts per fig than the previous few series. So did Series 5, and the series immediately afterward went ahead and increased the total piece count higher than it had ever been before. So there's certainly not any reason at this point to think S9 and S10 are part of a meaningful trend.

And anyway, there's more to a fig than the number of parts. Recently I had to generate a file with the CMF decorations from the latest LDD update (almost every one in S1-S8, bar a few exceptions), and it was easy to see some of the ways the figures became more complex as the series went on. Figs began to be printed on more surfaces (there were no CMFs with printing on the back of their torsos until S3, for instance), and more complex printed and painted parts became more commonplace. So overall I see no indication that the CMFs are decreasing in overall value or design quality.

By the way, here is the LXF file for decorated CMFs, if anyone's interested. Parts that are missing decorations in S1-S8 are colored 294 Phosphorescent Green to differentiate them from "complete" parts, parts that should be lacquered or painted gold are colored 310 Metallized Gold (Chrome Gold), parts that should be lacquered or painted silver are colored 298 Cool Silver, Drum Lacq., and parts that should be lacquered or painted copper are colored 139 Copper. Series 9 minifigures are not decorated since their decorations were not included in the latest update. Some parts' decorations are also not properly aligned with the decoration surfaces, but this cannot be corrected without another LDD update.
  • mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49
    @vwong19: where did you get those production figures for each series? Just curious... :)
  • mobilelinkagemobilelinkage Member Posts: 49
    @vwong19: oh got it... those are just bricklink lots for sale at the moment... not the real production numbers..
    @vwong19 Allow me to change those numbers for you ;)
  • LeelaLeela Member Posts: 53
    I found Series 10 in Poland today so I guess it should be in other countries any moment now. I found all the minifigs except for Medusa and Trendsetter (and Mr. Gold...). The shop had quite a few Romans, but the most popular seemed to be the Baseball Fielder.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @Leela most popular meaning sold out (very few left) or lots of them?