Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Will LEGO be giving us a bigger variety of Super Heroes in the future?

plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
As much as I love the new DC and Marvel Super Hero lines, I feel disappointed with the variety of heroes. As a long time comic fan (both brands) this is one of my favorite lines - but when will we get more characters? I understand movie tie-ins, but looking at the action figure lines available for both brands they seem to be thriving with a host of characters - clearly kids and collectors are buying these up. But looking at my LEGO so far: 9 Batmen. 6 Ironmen. 3 Thors. 3 Loki. 3 Spider-men. When looking at the total heroes/villains produced so far - there are a total of 37 super-powered types (not counting the ultra-rare comicon exclusives). Almost 2/3 of the offerings so far are made up of the 5 figures I mentioned across 20 sets and 6 polybags. I don't want to keep buying sets (but know very well I will) with the same characters over and over.... Am I going to end up with 100 Batmen fighting 100 Ironmen? Are there any rumors of them expanding the figure selection?

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited March 2013
    I know exactly what you mean. I have nearly every fig and still starving for more superheroes.

We already have all the figs for the upcoming Iron Man 3 and Superman MOS. After that will be Thor and Captain America Winter Soldier. So we might get a couple new villains, along with repeats of Thor & Cap. Guardians of the Galaxy will for sure get heavy promotion, so i expect that one to happen. Then another dose of Spiderman, this time with Electro and maybe a new Green Goblin. From the current Ultimate Spiderman, we still need Luke Cage and White Tiger.

Our only hope for a fast expansion is the next X-Men movie, which is a near bottomless pit all in of itself for the Marvel Universe. I can list at least great 20 heroes and villains that deserve the Lego treatment.

DC is low on quality characters in comparison to Marvel. So just hoping for Flash, Manhunter, Cyborg, Green Arrow and another Green Lantern to pop up sooner than later to finish out the Justice League. A new Killer Croc, Nightwing and Alfred to complete the rehash cycle.

The wish list of characters goes on forever. The fortunate part is that the movies don't seem to be slowing down any time soon. This can be a consistent cash cow for TLG for the next half decade easy.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    On the DC side, I really doubt they'll stray too far from Batman, as he and Superman are really the only commercially viable properties DC owns.

Marvel's selection seems to be stymied by the films, however. In 2012, for example, an X-Men title was the best-selling comic book in every month except July (Walking Dead #100) and December (Amazing Spider-Man #700). On top of that, it's been a long time since there weren't at least two or three X-titles in the top ten each month... yet there's only one X-Men set.

Now, I understand that the need to do movie tie-ins... but so far they only have one Marvel set tied to the actual comic books... which seems a bit lopsided to me.

DC is going the other route, of course, where they have a lot of media represented... but really only one property. So to me, it just seems like they're really dropping the ball on the Super Heroes line, as there's the potential for Star Wars-level minifig obsession... but they keep recycling the same figures instead of introducing new ones.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    You would think with LEGO Marvel Superheroes video game coming up later this year there would be more Marvel Super Heroes related sets being released. At the very least, with the video game you can own your Super Heroes figs in electronic format ;)
    edited March 2013
    ^^^There won't be any actual movie tie-ins for the 'getting worse by the day' Spidey sequel or for Days of Future Past... but I am hoping we'll see a lot of original X-Men sets to coincide with the film release.

Just off the top of my head, an X-Men-centric wave could feature a brick-built Sentinel (which I would need to buy hordes of), the Blackbird, a nice $100-$160 Asteroid M or Avalon... maybe Sinister's lab... and then of course a Death Star-style Xavier Institute. I'd also like to see Apocalypse make it into a set, preferably accompanied by the original version of the Four Horsemen (from '87).
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    I am in the boat where I really really want more Superheroes minifigs. I wish they would come out with a CMF Superheroes line. Think of how crazy the buying and trading would be then. We really need a flagship Marvel set too, similar to the Arkham Asylum set for DC. I agree with Xavier's Institute, although a S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier or maybe Baxter Building(with Fantastic Four figures-Please? Or just give me a Fantasticar with the FF. Please? I'm on my knees here!) would be awesome.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Agree with everything that's been said, Marvel could pump dozens of very good figures out, especially if they do some comic book tie ins. They have an almost endless supply of different characters, plus different suits, versions etc.

DC only really have a handful of really popular characters they could use, and they've already covered most of them. The only big ones left are Green Arrow, Flash and villains like General Zod, Braniac etc.

I'd kill for more X-Men sets, with old school costumes like you can already get in customs. The custom cyclops looks fantastic.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,189
    Movie adaptions and tie ins of comic book characters are nice, but I definitely prefer the classic comic book versions. The animated series Ultimate Spiderman seems to offer the largest character selection while still retaining the original comic book look. I'm not a fan of the show after watching several episodes, but do hope that it does well enough to warrant more Lego sets.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,189
    I also want to see a Vision and Ultron made... please.
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 694
    Huntress is just crying out for the minifig treatment... and Batgirl, too!!
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    lego may be planning sets to do with the upcoming 'avengers assemble' or 'hulk and the agents of smash' cartoons, the same way ultimate spider man. Yes we have the Thor, cap (ww2 suits hopefully) and guardians films to look forward to. Doctor strange and ant man are coming. But do we have to wait for films for marvel/disney! Where as dc keep batman coming.
    The marvel video game, poly bag is rumoured to be galactus
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2013
    From the DC universe, Lego would surely release a Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter so as to complete the Justice League.
    From a Marvel perspective, all the main Avenger characters have been released so I'd like to see more X men characters. Prof X, Cyclops, Storm and Jean would be a nice start.
    And yes, I agree with plantman - Batman and Iron man have been done too often. I'll give all the summer super hero sets a miss since there aren't any unique heroes and the sets don't really appeal to me.
    Geddes said:

The marvel video game, poly bag is rumoured to be galactus

Oooh yes, I'll be having some of that.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,354
    I have everything crossed for more Super Heroes sets. In the DC universe I only really think we need a couple more heroes (a non-movie Green Lantern, the Flash etc.) but a whole load more villains if possible, an updated Killer Croc, Ra's Al Ghul. Basically the whole Batman rogues gallery in Lego form would be perfect.

As for Marvel, more X-Men are required in my opinion, at least Cyclops, Storm and Professor X (I am lucky enough to own the exclusive Phoenix, but another Minifigure would be nice, as long as the costume is different and the one I have remains exclusive).
    ^I'd prefer to see the Jim Lee era Jean Grey if they did another one... and the Jim Lee Cyclops, for that matter. Halle Berry has all but killed Storm for me, though I'd take her white costume for sure... and I still want a Gambit, though the Aragorn and Nick Fury figures make me feel like he'll look ridiculous. Still a must have, though (along with an accompanying Rogue).
    ^Everything you said. Halle ruined Storm (and tainted Catwoman) and she'll be back in Future Past to remind us.

Because of the other thread about Lego leading to watching related themes, I'm giving Ultimate Spider-Man a chance and loving it. Hilarious if you're into a goofy take on our favorite heroes. But this is also another avenue of tying in other Marvel characters. Like the episode with Wolverine (classic Brown/Yellow outfit) versus Sabretooth.

And I definitely agree on a preference for Jim Lee-era versions from early '90s of most characters.
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    I love goldchains idea of a CMF type series. I've seen custom carded individual characters that people have made around the internet - kind of how the 4" or 6" action figures are carded - that would be cool. I don't care for the mystery figure aspect of the CMF series (ended up with way too many duplicates early on and gave up). Since most of the figures are the same molds with different paint applications they could pump out tons of fan favorites.
  • golemgolem Member Posts: 2
    I cant wait to get Rocket Raccoon and Groot minifigs!
    Zon
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,710
    I'm hoping we see some Thor2 related sets, the set/character design looks pretty epic. Evil elves anyone?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,297
    ^We almost have to get them right? I guess it will just be three sets like Iron Man 3.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    I would think any movie based sets are not a given. It took a year to get a Dark Knight Rises set, and there were no sets based on Amazing Spider-Man.
    ^ We are guaranteed them for Marvel/Disney films. Its the Fox (X-men & fantastic four) and sony (spiderman) ones we aren't.

I believe mga bloks has the right to the amazing spider man......

Thank god we have ultimate spider man.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,297
    ^Megablocks has the film Spidey rights, Lego can only do the cartoon. But good point on the DKR set. Guess we will just have to see what they do with Thor 2
    ^i could not bring myself to say it. And winter soldier!
    edited March 2013
    Thor2 is a Marvel/Disney film. I would be surprised if we don't see anything. Even just a 1 or 2 set wave before Christmas. As far as I know, we don't know of any Superhero stuff for the end of the year?
    ^Your right the last sets to be released are for man of steel, in June I believe.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    X-Men IMO is just as deep and culturally popular as Star Wars. I'd love to see a permanent X-Men wave ala SW.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    Didn't know that MB had the Sony Spider-Man license... thanks for the clarification! While I'd love to have more X-Men characters, what sets would be appropriate for the theme? The Blackbird is a given, but isn't that too similar to the Quinjet? An X-Mansion/Danger Room playset would be awesome. How about Wolverine vs. a brick-built Sentinel?
    edited March 2013
    ^^ I agree, as stated previously in this thread I believe it out sells other comics/graphic novels.

^Well the licence from Marvel, states X-Men sets will relate to the comics....
    ^^I listed a few appropriate sets above, but as with most of the Super Heroes line, I don't think they care about 'appropriate' sets for the most part. The Apocalypse and Four Horsemen set I mentioned could easily be those five and, let's say, Cyclops and Beast with some junk scenery thrown in (a fountain... a bench... a pizza stand with flick-fire missiles...) and people would still buy that set. Or... better still... six minifigs and a brick-built Apocalypse.

@plantman and @Goldchains - I would guess they simply can't do CMF-style superhero minifigs due to a similar licensing agreement to what prevents them from doing the same for Star Wars minifigs.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Well, if previous (non-Lego) incarnations of DC licenses are anything to go by, we'll see a gazillion Batman costumes in all sorts of horrendous designs and colours, and absolutely nothing for him to fight... except perhaps stubborn stains in his colour wash. lol

y2josh
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Well, they have given us a ton of Batman's villains to fight, and I'm sure we'll see a few more, like Killer Croc, Clayface, I'm praying for Hush(that would be sweet), and others. We could also get a few more heroes, like Nightwing and Batgirl(I would love a Red Robin). And I agree that the CMF line is probably not feasible, but a guy can dream I suppose.
    ^Hush would likely fall into the same boat as Gambit given the poorly executed (Aragorn) or complete lack of (Nick Fury) trenchcoats present on existing minifigs. I'd obviously still get whatever set included Gambit in a heartbeat, but I'm not holding my breath on that figure being particularly well-executed. Unless, of course, they did the Age of Apocalypse or maybe even Ultimates version. Less iconic, but probably easier to pull off.
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    @y2josh - If there is some part of the licensing agreement preventing a CMF style series, what about team based army builder packs - like the Star Wars and City packs? That way LEGO could still produce an assortment of figures without sets. They might even appeal to mini collectors who aren't that into the Heroes lines.
    ^Allowing people to buy the figures in cheap sets/army packs doesn't bring more sales/profit. It would give them less. If people want the figs it makes sense to stick them in expensive sets rather than cheap ones.

It may be nice for collectors, but from a marketing point of view, it makes no sense.

y2josh said:

^Hush would likely fall into the same boat as Gambit given the poorly executed (Aragorn) or complete lack of (Nick Fury) trenchcoats present on existing minifigs. I'd obviously still get whatever set included Gambit in a heartbeat, but I'm not holding my breath on that figure being particularly well-executed. Unless, of course, they did the Age of Apocalypse or maybe even Ultimates version. Less iconic, but probably easier to pull off.

Spot on the trenchcoats thing. No nick Fury or Bane coat is a bit of a letdown. Ended up buying a custom one for Bane because he just lacked something.
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2013
    With so many superhero movies coming out in the next few years and LEGO with the Disney and Marvel licences, it will be interesting to see what superhero movies LEGO decides to make sets for. Thor 2 is most likely a no go because the film's release date is November 8, 2013 and we haven't seen any sets at toy fairs or heard any rumors.

The question is what movies do you think LEGO will make sets for and what sets and minifigures would you like to see? I'm sure we will see Avengers 2 sets in 2015 but will we see Captain America 2, Dr. Strange, or Ant Man sets?

I would personally like to see some more X-Men LEGO. We've got Wolverine, Magneto, and Deadpool. What happened to Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, etc.? I would also like to see a Mark V Iron Man suit. We got the briefcase from the Malibu Mansion, so why not.
    "cue the arrival of @joseph: stage left"
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    I could see us getting one set based on Thor 2, but in the Winter. The same way that we got one set for TDKR this Winter.

I'm guessing there will be a few sets for CA:TWS, Antman, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

LEGO can't make sets directly based on the X-Men: Days of Future Past, but they can certainly ride the coattails and make sets "based on the comics." I'm just not sure how marketable X-Men would be.

Ultimate Spiderman will always be available for filler.

From the DC Side, I expect (wishfully think) that LEGO will make sets from GL:TAS.

And of course, Batman is always available for filler.
    ^GL:TAS I assume you mean Green Lantern (the cartoon) which has been cancelled, largely because it did not have a toy line.

Spot on with Spidey and bats.

I agree X-Men sets are long overdue.
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    Geddes said:

^GL:TAS I assume you mean Green Lantern (the cartoon) which has been cancelled, largely because it did not have a toy line.

Wow, really? I didn't know that. That's too bad. My son had been watching it , I didn't realize it is over. Maybe LEGO had a GL wave in design/production before the show got cancelled? That's all I can hope for.

• JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited March 2013
    ^^ young justice was also cancelled along with clone wars. Three brilliant cartoons that have bitten the dust recently. Keep watching GL its awesome, love razer here is hoping for a red lantern mini fig soon.
    edited March 2013

LEGO can't make sets directly based on the X-Men: Days of Future Past, but they can certainly ride the coattails and make sets "based on the comics." I'm just not sure how marketable X-Men would be.

I've been thinking about this point a lot lately, as X-Men are really the only super heroes I'm interested in in LEGO form and, as I'd mentioned previously, they almost always have 2-3 titles in the top ten each month... but I'm not sure how much crossover there'd be into the LEGO audience.

Traditionally (but certainly not always), X-Men has been a more 'grown-up' series with deeper themes than most other comics (which is not to say that other comics aren't sometimes deep), so it may not have the kid appeal at the moment.

That said, in the 90's, X-Men toys were huge, largely due to the animated series. So I really think the only thing that needs to happen is for another animated series to spring up, preferably leaning more towards the quality of Wolverine and the X-Men and The Avengers and less towards the more toddler-ish Ultimate Spider-Man.
    I think that would be great if they did a new animated series around the X-Men, the characters are made for Lego figure tie ins. Bright colours, cool costumes, big battles, they'd sell very well imo.
    y2josh said:

That said, in the 90's, X-Men toys were huge, largely due to the animated series. So I really think the only thing that needs to happen is for another animated series to spring up, preferably leaning more towards the quality of Wolverine and the X-Men and The Avengers and less towards the more toddler-ish Ultimate Spider-Man.

I agree. I think that's a huge reason of why Ultimate Spider-Man has been so popular as a toy. I think it would be smart if Disney made another X-Men cartoon, maybe Ultimate because the X-Men tv series was popular in the 90s as well as in the 2000s with the movies and the X-Men Evolution t.v. series.

I still would love to see some classic 90s X-Men sets or even Astonishing X-Men sets like the Wolvie minifig LEGO has already given us.

@Beav & @y2josh

While I know we haven't seen trenchcoats yet, I still think there's a possibility of seeing them in the future. The CMFs are very impressive with detail and some have capes of the sort that we haven't seen before like 71000 Judge. We've also seen ring wraiths with different capes so I think perhaps we'll see a Nick Fury with a trenchcoat in the Avengers 2 line. Maybe.
  • psychopuppetpsychopuppet Member Posts: 71
    There is supposed to be two more Marvel Cartoons "Avengers Assembled" and a "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."coming this Summer. Maybe we will get some sets from those if they last more then a season. DC wise we got a new Batman and a cheaper animated more comical Teen Titans coming. Have my doubts those will last to long. I at least hope we get Luke Cage and White Tiger for Ultimate Spider-man. Could do a set with Kraven the Hunter for White Tiger and one with The Rhino for Luke Cage.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    edited March 2013
    As much as I also would like to see more characters, without a tie-in cartoon or movie, it probably isn't going to happen. The interesection between actual comic book buying legions and LEGO legions may not be as large as we would hope, so they will probably stick mainly to those tie-ins to pull in the largest interest possible.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    Is there a reason that X-Men would not have a tie-in with LEGO sets? Disney/Marvel does not have rights, but that doesn't mean LEGO is out of the picture for X-Men.