Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Does anyone have info on the new cargo train 3677 coming this year?

WillhornerWillhorner Member Posts: 36
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Not asking for anything illicit (like links to stolen pics). Just if anyone has heard bout release dates or what it may contain.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,701
    I'm still not 100% convinced that it is an official set for release this year. I know it was shown at a LEGO show a month or so ago, but that is not the way sets are normally revealed. Besides, we've only just had a cargo train, last year.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,494
    ^ Interesting you should say that, Huw - I wondered the same thing. The current cargo train 7939 seems to be selling well and hasn't been out for long. It doesn't make a great deal of sense for LEGO to bring out another cargo train so soon, particularly as we have also just had the Maersk train which is also a cargo train.....

That having been said, perhaps LEGO is just trying to capitalise on the recent upsurge in interest in its trains ?
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    edited April 2011
    As for what it may contain, you can google and find some videos of what is alledged to be the new train. I am still on the fence as far as their legitimacy myself.
  • mirandirmirandir Member Posts: 31
    I'd say that it's for real for these reasons:

1. Everyone I know that went to the event, including a couple of LEGO ambassadors, claims that it's for real.
    2. The train has several bricks in colors that are not available yet as well as the conveyor belt that is not being released until the new harbour set later this year.
    3. The train was shown in TLC's own display at the event.

The train is a "limited edition", probably exclusive to BR/TRU. Release is said to be in august.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,494
    ^ Let's hope so - the more trains the better as far as I'm concerned !
    edited April 2011
    ^Yeah,and from what I gather this will be a cheaper than last year's cargo train.

BTW here are a few pictures from that display:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626089249006/with/5459494492/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626123632900/with/5471740225/
  • cbowerscbowers Member Posts: 21
    Wow, I just caught a glimpse of it through a google search. I really like the "switcher" type engine they use there! I guess that means I should probably pick up the current Cargo train if I would like that one? What do you all think? Also on my to gets list at least one or two Maersk Lines, and possibly Emerald Night. Trying to stock up on my trains for a future layout...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,782
    So.. I saw the pics, but I agree with others when I say it looks a bit set up, not as an official Lego set... Lets just say I am not getting my hopes up....
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    2 cargo trains doesn't seem to make any sense, and agree that the photos look set up.

What's really missing is an inter-city train, wish they'd do that!

Can't see them being able to support more than 2 train sets at any one time, especially given the prices.
    The only way I can see them doing this would be if it is just a train and no track or anything else.. But even then two cargo trains? Also the set number seems a bit off doesn't it?
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited April 2011
    Although, the train includes a bulk goods hopper type car and the conveyor belt contraption to load it. This would bundle well with the upcoming harbor set with the bulk cargo ship. The crane at the port can load the hopper car. Note the lack of a container car on the train. Furthermore, if they want to keep the popularity of the trains going, why not release another? This time without track to keep costs down. The sets all build on each other, so it is a great value add for customers. This lends some credit to this being legitimate.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    This one seems to be splitting opinion everywhere. But the simpler build design does seem to fit in with the upcoming harbour set. Although the actual engine design has already been used to good effect, I'm still not convinced with the wagons at all!!

A purchase. Yes(for completeness), will it replace engines and stock on my layout,No
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Lego Consumer Services has confirmed it, though not in any detail
    'I'm afraid I can't tell you when 3677 will be released.....'
    Not 100% sure but I think I heard somwhere that the train will come with tracks. But it'll only be a simple loop like the one supplied with last years passenger train.
  • legoshowlegoshow Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    If it helps at all, I saw the train back in February at LEGOWorld - in exactly the same place and display as where the 2010 trains were last year (http://www.flickr.com/photos/warrenelsmore/4375535334/in/set-72157623353532839/). I'm convinced it is official. (Warren)
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    @mirandir, thanks for the note about seeing the train in person and the call to Lego CS as well.

As for the included track, I hope it contains some true curve track rather than only the flexible tracks. The disappearance of the curve/straight track supplementary pack has me worried. I realize that the points track still comes with curves as do last years train sets. However, in the future, it seems to remain uncertain. I was able to score ten of the curve/straight packs at 50% off last year at Lego's big holiday clearance (no one in the store even knew they were on sale) so I have a large supply, but I would like to see these remain in production all the same.
  • Agent_DebrisAgent_Debris Member Posts: 55
    @mkoesel, I agree with you, I also hope that Lego will bring back the curved track rather than just stay with the flexible track, it has its use but is no good for long curves etc and looks ugly.
    As for another cargo train, I dont see why Lego would replace the one they have so quickly, but who knows, maybe they are going to release another one this year
    edited April 2011
    ^Unfortunatly I believe that LEGO has made up their mind on replacing the curved track with the Flexitracks.

And I don't think that 3677 is going to _replace_ the current cargo train. As it, to my knowledge, is a "limited edition" set I can see both co-exist just like that 7848 TRU-truck set that did just fine alongside 3221 LEGO city truck. In that case there were a different colorscheme and an added toy store. Here the pricepoint is higher but on the other hand it's a completely different set having very little in common with it's competitor other than it being a cargo train.

However there's a risk that the whole "limited edition" thing will make the set a bit heavy on the price tag...
    edited April 2011
    Wow.. another train to buy.... UGH.... And 'limited' is a subjective term to be honest.. I have seen 'limited' Lego sets be out for 2-3 years (Cement mixer and Recycle truck, Combine harvester) and then I have seen them in the US for only a few months (City Townhouse and Helicopter and limo)... because, technically EVERY Lego set is limited in one form or another.
    I guess it depends on what store the set is for... For TRU? It will probably be out for a while.. Target or Walmart? Who knows....
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 981
    Does anybody know what the retail price on this set is? I know that it is $159.99 at TRU, just wondering if this is in line with retail pricing. Since it is not available from shop.lego.com, it is hard to say what it really costs.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 294
    I wouldn't be surprised if the US MSRP is $160 as TRU usually has their sets pretty close to retail when they are first released (star wars excluded)

You can also wait till next week to find out. I talked to a Lego store employee and they will be available around August 1st. Some people have reported finding them already in Lego brand stores, but that isn't the case at the store closest to me.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I saw one at a TRU today, but did not check pricing since I was after the other two current trains (which I bought). I know from the other trains that store prices seem to vary, even locally. That was the case for the two trains I bought today, but the store did honor the TRU online price.
  • WillhornerWillhorner Member Posts: 36
    I bought mine at TRU for 159
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I think the new one is going to be red. :o)
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 981
    @yellowcastle: hahaha

I still have my two 7939 that I keep changing my mind between taking them back and trying to sell. My new idea was to take one back and trade it in for a 3677, and just sell the other one. Just wanted to see what the retail price was before I did anything.