Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego creator expert next car model?

OndraOndra Member Posts: 74
Do you think that next year, we will se some new exclusive car in line with great volkswagen beetle 10187 or even better volkswagen camper van 10220?I think is something going because there is three years gap between these two sets and in 2014 there is also three years gap.

I think next set is volkswagen golf, because in 2014 is 40 years anniversary.But there are another famous cars for example Checker cab, british black cabs, mini cooper.

Tell what you think :-).

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,473
    I doubt a VW Golf would sell very well.

It may be an iconic car, but it is no beetle or camper van.
  • pd66pd66 UKMember Posts: 173
    I would love to see a Mustang - classic or modern but I can't see it happening.....and my wallet will be eternally grateful for that!
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    edited March 2013
    I would be all in for a Trans Am Firebird :) but i guess the curves don't really translate well into Lego!
    Or the "A-Team"truck,cuusoo anyone?!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    Seeing that it was Beetle then Camper van, it makes it look like theres some connection to VW. The next VW that could make an interesting model in my opinion is the Karmann Ghia. If the next one is not VW then there are way too many good possibilities to guess. Although I'd love to see them do a BMW 2002 since it basically saved BMW.
  • TheCultLeaderTheCultLeader Member Posts: 48
    I'd like to see a Ford Model T.
  • OndraOndra Member Posts: 74
    Mustang was one of protypes creator set, that were published to peoples before beetle was choosen.Also with DB7 and delorean.
    Here are these prototypes http://news.lugnet.com/ambassadors/?n=70

I think golf is same milestone cars as beetle, is one of most selling car worldwide.Popular in legos main market Germany.Also I think still have volkswagen license.But who knows.
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102
    Right Golf is popular but not cult like beetle and T1.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Agree, hardly iconic is it? Just because some people have owned one. I'd doubt it'll ever be released
  • gregoryrichardsgregoryrichards Member Posts: 10
    The next car will be the new bmw mini due to be released by lego this year.
  • ravnutravnut South BrumMember Posts: 25
    Can't imagine too many buyers craving a Lego VW Golf!

If this link does exist 'tween Lego and VW how about the Audi Quattro S1 (reckon the shape would translate well in Bricks) or if that is still not iconic enough, something from the long history of Porsche 9** series (911, 959, cabriolet etc).
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^why do think that @gregoryrichards? If true, I would be quite happy for a Mini. I even had that in my Top 5 choices in another thread on this topic.
    There are two bmw polybags catalogised on brickset, but huge bmw mini set will be great.
    I found this http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/1503/ Dont know which bmw mean UCS or probably this http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=40200-1 .Also i found this, they say that lego have long cooperation with BMW http://www.automotto.com/bmw-lego-engage-kids-building-life-size-i8-concept.html .So big bmw set isnt unreal.

But I dont think so there will be UCS car model this year, because we already have many exclusive models also with sydney opera house.
  • gregoryrichardsgregoryrichards Member Posts: 10

^^why do think that @gregoryrichards? If true, I would be quite happy for a Mini. I even had that in my Top 5 choices in another thread on this topic.

It's lego set 40050 Mini Bmw. There is a new mini coming out and this set will be released to reflect this. Look forward to getting it.

It's lego set 40050 Mini Bmw. There is a new mini coming out and this set will be released to reflect this. Look forward to getting it.

But this isnt UCS scale model as we are talking about but small polybag model.
    ^Agree, the minis are nice but the large sculpture ones are the ones of most interest. As long as the Camper Van is out, I doubt we'll see anything new that could conflict with sales. But still wishing against the odds from any of the existing licenses with VW/Lamborghini, BMW or Ferrari.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    I'd kill for a Z3 ...
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    The VW Thing would be fun!
    ^^ Z3 M coupe

^ The Thing would be pretty fun
    So there probably will be UCS car next year, it will be Mini cooper.Unclear if old or new .

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-2014-rumor-mill-mini-architecture/
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    A classic Mini would be a perfect fit with what's gone before in this theme. A new one isn't. Here's hoping....
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    ^^Ughh. Although I respect and appreciate what the old Mini was, it's a pretty unremarkable car to me. I'm obviously quite biased (being from the U.S.), but a C7 Corvette would be very cool. I guess everyone probably has their own ideal for what model UCS car should be produced; as such so not many people are going to agree on this. I guess I'll wait to see the final product and vote with my money.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    Please Lego, don't do a BMW.
    Mustangs/Corvettes and the likes are fine for a US market but you sort of have to think more internationally.

A Mini, especially designed like the ones in The Italian Job (original) would probably go down a storm across Europe anyway.

How about KITT or a black transam like in Smokey and the Bandit or something like that...I definitely could get on board with that although I can't see it happening.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    I think it'd be quite interesting to see Lego's take on the Mini, and it'd make far more sense to do a classic Mini (in keeping with the classic Beetle and T1 Campervan), but suffice to say if it's true and I was looking at it in a Lego store next year, I'd probably walk away and buy something else, just because I'm into the more exotic cars out there ;-) I've already done this several times with the campervan, I admit.

Everyone will have their own favourite car, but personally, I'd love Lego to do something based off (arguably) the most iconic car of the 21st century imho. Yep, I'd pay through the nose for a really nicely done UCS Bugatti Veyron :-) (but I bet you already guessed that from my username) :-P

*Realises UCS Veyron is never going to happen, a licensing agreement from Bugatti would cost a small fortune and Lego would never do it*

Lego, go ahead and surprise me ;-)
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    For the Lego Veyron, all you need to do is sit on your Lego Beetle and then give it squarer headlights. Job done. :P
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    ^ Wouldn't squashing a Lego Beetle give you a Lego Porsche 911? :-P
    That's if you keep the round headlights.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,701
    I would like a new Lego Lamboghini or Ferrari.

*Realises UCS Veyron is never going to happen, a licensing agreement from Bugatti would cost a small fortune and Lego would never do it*

Lego, go ahead and surprise me ;-)

They already have one licence from the VW group.... shouldn't be too hard.
    ^ Suppose not - even though Bugatti is technically owned by VW, I'm pretty sure Lego's licence with Volkswagen only permits them to create Lego VW's. To create a Veyron, they would need to pursue the licence to do so from Bugatti themselves. I only thought a licence would be hard since my previous hobby was scale model cars, and all the Bugattis were hideously expensive, perhaps indicating that they were reluctant to slap their name on anything that looks vaguely like one of their cars.

But I just like to think that Lego do want to do a Veyron, but it's difficult to get the shallow angles exactly right at usual Lego scales (and believe me, I've tried it at both 14 and 18 stud scale) so they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole... Oh wait, that DeLorean made it through okay :-P

Who knows though?

p.s. Sorry for sounding like a car geek :-) Lego cars are my two greatest passions combined! :-)
    ^You're not the only one on here. My intersection is Lego-Comics-Cars. Really wishing hard for a Porsche, but not holding my breath either.
    edited August 2013
    ^ A 911 model would surely be more iconic than the other suggestions (no offense). I would love an original Mini model.

(arguably) the most iconic car of the 21st century imho.

Yes, easily arguable. In the car industry or people who are into cars it is recognizable, but it probably doesn't even breach the top 20 in cars in the last 10 years recognizable by the general public. That said, the general public is not likely to know the model of a car but just looking a picture of a car there are quite a few more that people would at least be able to say "BMW" "Ford" etc that would just draw a blank on the Veyron. Not to say it wouldn't make a cool model, but doesn't have the draw needed to sell it well as a LEGO model.

It's all opinion but I have the same problem with something like the C7 vette mentioned above. Purely from a "model of a car" standpoint there is almost nothing "remarkable" about a C7 vette compared to the original Mini. The new vette looks very similar to all sorts of ferrari's, Astin Martins, Maserati's etc. It's a very powerful Chevy that they finally decided to do a decent interior on, so it is remarkable compared to C6 but not overall as a car.

• CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    The Viper and Corvette are starting to look like each other...

edited August 2013
    I vote for a 911 Twin Turbo

Any of the above referenced sports cars would be excellent choices for a UCS car. They're inspiring to a degree. As in kids see them and say, "I want to drive that one day". Not many kids look at an old mini and say that. And if you've read the other threads here, we wont even get a discount on the old mini set!

The Viper and Corvette are starting to look like each other...

Yup. Perfect example of why I don't think it is particularly remarkable. The original viper fits the remarkable category for me because it was so different than anything that had been done.

^Exact same feeling here. Would love to consider a new C7 myself, but its not original enough. The first Viper was special indeed, it even had its own TV show with snake-skin camouflage paint =)

The 911 Turbo is my #1 vote and it can be almost any model year too new or old, as the overall appearance has stayed the same over decades. But my (personal) bias is for this rare Porsche beauty a 987 Spyder:

^

But I just like to think that Lego do want to do a Veyron, but it's difficult to get the shallow angles exactly right at usual Lego scales (and believe me, I've tried it at both 14 and 18 stud scale) so they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole... Oh wait, that DeLorean made it through okay :-P

Who knows though?

p.s. Sorry for sounding like a car geek :-) Lego cars are my two greatest passions combined! :-)

No apology needed :-) I'm the same, though my interest tends toward slower cars... I've seen the Veyron done well (by Sheepo I think) but the scale was 26 wide and that's what's needed to do justice to it. Ain't gonna happen in a set, unfortunately.
    edited August 2013
    Oh @TechnicNick, I posted my attempt at a 14 stud scale Veyron in the building thread a few weeks ago - I don't know if you've seen it already, but you might want to check it out. Already assumed Lego's not gonna do one though. I'd try one at a bigger scale if I had more spare parts, time and space, believe me :-) I'll be happy with my MOC'ed one. But I agree - it can only be done well at a massive scale.

A Lego Porsche 911 would be fantastic, I admit (but since Lego Racers has gone, any supercar that gets the Lego treatment now would be music to my ears). But something tells me that Porsche has a licensing deal with the dare-I-say-it dreaded clone brand, and they've made a (rather nasty looking) sort of 'UCS' (I use the term incredibly loosely) Porsche 911 already... I've seen it in the local toy shop, it's ghastly, too many one-use bricks... urgh!

In fact, it's not just a UCS Veyron I'd like to see... there are many cars both old and new that I'd like to see Lego-ised (and I'd think they'd make great models if they did a classic supercar, to continue with the classic car theme Lego has when making these Creator expert car models), I could just be biased since the Veyron is my favourite car, just because of the all the records it broke about 8 years ago, and all the subsequent speed wars of the last 8 years we have seen. This is the point where I could talk all about these rare cars that only real supercar nuts would have heard of, but I won't since this is a discussion about Lego and I don't want to bore anybody to death...

My point is, of all the supercar speed kings, most will think of the Veyron, and many will recognise the front end (I don't think you'd mistake that front end for anything else), or maybe the car that previously held the speed record prior to the Veyron - the McLaren F1 (my second favourite car), but that one, from just the exterior it could be mistakened for many other cars.

Of course, I'm just offering my opinion, I don't want any 'Veyron vs F1' arguments to come out of this :-P (I've seen far too many believe me)
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    edited August 2013
    There is one car that would perfectly lend its self to the blocky look of basic Lego bricks. I am of course speaking about the iconic, reliable, sporty, and yet affordable Reliant K Car
    Personally, I would buy several of these in Lego kit form.
    ^ LOL How about the commensurately iconic Chrysler Lebaron?
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    edited August 2013
    ^oh yes! The apex of the k-car line up. They could totaly do one of those with the premium faux woodgrain using a sticker sheet, just like the real thing! They would have make a station wagon version also.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    I still think the Lamborghini Countach is one car that everyone knows, especially compared to an older Mini cooper.
    This would be another bad ass car that I would absolutely LOVE to see... "The Corvette Killer" 1987 Buick GNX

• PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ Buddy had one in college, it was wicked.
    edited August 2013
    @T-Lars: When you said "Reliant", I immediately thought of the classic...Reliant Robin!
    beegeedee
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    @plasmodium there are now lots of Americans with there jaws on the floor thinking what the hell is that!
    Anyway back to the original question, I'd love to see a Mercedes-Benz 300SL gull-wing made by Lego. It's iconic with those doors, super expensive, was once the fastest production car in the world (that bits for you @TheOneVeyronian), the doors would give it some functionality and Lego have an existing agreement with Mercedes for the Unimog.
    That would be my personal preference but after that it can only be something that is truly iconic, with a very distinctive look and known the world over like a 911, original Mini, 2CV. The american muscle cars just aren't in that league, they all look similar (which has already been pointed out by many Americans here), and simply aren't that well known outside of the USA or petrolhead circles. On the plus side if they did do a US muscle car Lego wouldn't have to bother with a working steering mechanism as they can't do corners in real life anyway. :) Just had to get that one in.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,701
    How about a DeLorean or another vehicle based off a licence.