Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Stickers

13»

Comments

• bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    edited June 2012
    Does anyone know of any place that does custom decals for LEGO. I am after some custom ones doing for a MOC I am making and would prefer paying someone to do them, rather than attempting them myself.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I would like their name too :) if you find anyone
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Thanks for your message @bricksan. @jadedanc - I can probably help you out. I do decals for minifigs, no reason I can't put them on bricks. They're rather fiddly to place, so it would work best if I put them on the bricks, rather than send you the decals. give me a shout if you're interested.
    http://www.facebook.com/customminifigs
    http://minifigs.me
    @Savage_Steel Will definitely hit you up once I fly to Louisiana and back :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    edited June 2012
    I still do not see why LEGO just simply does not do a sticker book for certain stretches of years (Like 'master sticker' books and do them by years x to y) so people can replace those old stickers easily.. I'm guessing they should still keep the designs somewhere, whether via PC or a hard binder of them.. They would make a fortune if they redid sticker sheets such as Market Street, Yellow Castle, Public Works Center, Cargo Center, etc... Or just have them so people could use them on new buildings.. or maybe also make a master Idea book collection with all the sticker sheets from them too.. Im guessing it could be somewhat cheap for them to make and they could probably sell them for a decent price....
    @madforLEGO THAT would be amazing if they did!
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Use a little non-liquid glue. You might also consider doing that from the start rather than relying on the sticker's adhesive alone.
    As in non-water based? I googled "non liquid glue" and all it gave me was a mixture of non toxic glue. Can you recommend a specific product?

For here is my predicament: I'm peeling off dirty stickers that were mislaid and hence have edges encrusted with eons of gunk. I have fingernail-scraped the gunk off, soaked my hands in bleach (I'm kidding), and now have clean(er) stickers with no adhesive. If a plain old glue stick will actually work, no problem, I am just in disbelief that something that won't keep constructions paper craft projects from furling like they're on fire will work on Lego. I do not care if these stickers ever come off. Ever. I used some of the glue for model airplanes as a test on a few pieces weeks ago but the tips and edges are still not laying flat, not adhering to the piece.

Suggestions?
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 193
    prof1515, Krylon (and others) make spray adhesives. Krylon has permanant and "Easy Tack" reposistionable adhesive. Spray will assure even coating, with no lumps in the sticker.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Im just saying a file share for scans of genuine sticker sheets would be easy to set up. Assuming it was ok with TLG.
    No, it would not be ok with TLG, it is a violation of copyright, if they don't defend it, then they lose it. If they catch you doing it, they have to stop you, or they will lose future copyright claims on that basis.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    edited July 2012
    No, it would not be ok with TLG, it is a violation of copyright, if they don't defend it, then they lose it. If they catch you doing it, they have to stop you, or they will lose future copyright claims on that basis.
    What are you talking about? I think you're confusing copyright with trademark. Also, why do you think this wouldn't count as fair use?

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Trademark is for things like the LEGO logo, which is a trademark...

The sticker sheets are a copyright item, meaning you may not copy them. Lego puts the little C with the circle around it claiming copyright on every sticker sheet.

Next to the LEGO logo, they have a R with the circle around it meaning it is a registered trademark.
    edited July 2012
    (Duplicate)
    prof1515, Krylon (and others) make spray adhesives. Krylon has permanant and "Easy Tack" reposistionable adhesive. Spray will assure even coating, with no lumps in the sticker.
    Thanks, I'll look into spray adhesives, but the Krylon easy-tack says it is intended for temporary positioning. This stuff might work

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/

Unless the compressed spray is too strong.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,601
    ^ 3M 77 is VERY sticky and causes a lot of overspray. I have thought about using it on my old stickers, but I would at least do the spraying outside away from ANYTHING and then take it inside to position the stickers. No kidding, if you use 3M 77 your arm hairs will stick together even with no direct contact and only used for a few seconds. It is strong stuff. I would be interested in knowing how it works for you if you use it. Also, don't use too much as it will take a bit to dry, just one quick shot should do it and hold it about a foot and a half or so away as there is a lot of pressure in the can.
    ^ Just reading that makes me laugh in nervous terror at the prospect of actually using it.

I was hoping the spray can would come with one of those short straws you can stick in the nozzle to focus the stream (WD40 has these taped to the side).
  • ZathrasZathras Member Posts: 70
    oldtodd33 isn't kidding - I restored an antique jewelry box as a Xmas gift last year and part of that process involved replacing the non-tarnishing felt in the drawers.

I was real careful to mask the entire drawer and to wear gloves while spraying the adhesive; it didn’t occur to me that it would get EVERYWHERE. It took a couple days for the overspray glue to wash/wear off my arms.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    I have seen tons of people reprint LEGO stickers on sheets of sticker paper and have yet to see LEGO shut them down, they simply do not care it appears.
    I just want to know how to do it as well as I would also like to make customer stickers..
    Are all people really doing is dropping the designs down to a certain scale/gauge and then putting them on stock sticker paper?
    Not just any sticker paper and not just any printer. Per @Willhorner "printed micro dry decals on waterslide paper"
  • MaskieBoyMaskieBoy Member Posts: 25
    I never really have an issue with stickers. They are fairly easy to line up and if you don't like them you don't have to stick them. Your legos, your choice. I personally think they look pretty cool but some of them are a bit silly. The only time I don't like them is when they are very specific as to what they designate that brick to be for the rest of it's use.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl BordersMember Posts: 190
    I have just received and built Friends #3939. I noticed in this set (RRP £9.99) all the tiles were printed, no stickers, yet in Friends #3188 (RRP £39.99), which I built last week, there were no printed tiles, it was all stickers. (I got two sheets, not sure if this is normal?)
    It seems back to front that the cheaper set has printed tiles whereas the more expensive set has stickers. Is this a policy of TLG?
    I hate stickers, I would rather see printed tiles.
    Anyway I am now going to build #3061. I hope it's tiles are printed...
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    In #3061, it looks like all tiles except the money tile use stickers. You can deduce this from the parts list, but there is also the linked Eurobricks review that shows the sticker sheet.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    The smaller sets probably have significant higher production numbers and there is probably a threshold where the cost of a printed part at a high quantity is lower than that of stickers.

It might also be that the smaller sets usually have a lower age range and LEGO probably has an age cutoff for when they include stickers in the instructions.
    madforLEGO
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    edited February 2013
    The 'which tiles are printed and which are stickers' issue probably has less to do with the cost of the set and more to do with the versatility of the print. The letter and the sheet music can be used multiple times in various sets (present and future). The 2x2 circle "Mia" sticker is iffy, but I suppose it could (or maybe has been) be used in other sets that feature Mia. Whereas the tile designs in the vet set are specialized and couldn't really have much use in other/future sets.

It likely would be very costly for LEGO to make specific printed pieces that will only be used in one set.
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 654
    What do you guys do with your sticker sheets? I have never applied any of mine, I always keep them nice and safe in the manual. But on some sets that have lots of them it makes the model look rubbish.

Does anyone do anything like makes copies of them to keep a mint original and then have one to play with? I saw some guy selling a bricklinked #10179 the other day and he had had the stickers reprinted. I am not sure whether that is cheap but I don't imagine so.

Thoughts?? Discuss... :)

Rab
  • LegoBrickSteveLegoBrickSteve Member Posts: 43
    I am another collector who NEVER applies his stickers. I did as a kid, and although all of my vintage sets were well stored, going back now and looking at some of them (I'm talking to you Western sets) the decals do peel and age and look terrible.

I am also a bit 'anal' when it comes to building, so the idea of finishing a model and then, perhaps, applying a sticker crooked makes me insane.

This is unfortunate, because the final look of so many models these days really depend on those sticky elements. My Joker's Funhouse, for instance, looks rather bland without them, which is a shame, because I thought it was one of the more fun sets of last year and with something as massive as my Death Star, it would really be nice to have that level of detail without the need for stickers.

That said, I keep them all stored neatly...what I ever plan to do with them...who knows?
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    My son doesn't apply stickers. We kept them all for every set that they came with. Figured someone may be willing to buy them one day with the insaneness of a Lego collector.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I always buy an extra sicker-sheet, or sometimes even more than one sheet for all the sets that I really like. Especially the larger sets. When the set is still in production extra stickers-sheets are usualy very cheap on Bricklink. I'm talking about just a few cents.

There are some sets that look great even without stickers, but for many of them the stickers add those final finishing touches. By having extra sticker sheets I can always replace the ones that start to show signs of age.

As far as reprinting sticker sheets, I don't think it's worth it. Especially with being able to buy extra ones cheaply. Also, I don't think selling homemade sticker sheets with official sticker designs is legal. (Referring to the person who is selling them on Bricklink.) Making them for personal use is one thing, but to use LEGO's own designs to turn a profit could get that person in trouble. This has been discussed on the Bricklink forum many times.
  • LegoBrickSteveLegoBrickSteve Member Posts: 43
    Bottom line; I just wish LEGO would 'buck-up' sometimes and just print more custom tiles. I know it comes at a cost, but with a $400 Death Star, I think it might be justified?
    Si_UKNZ
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^^
    @Akunthita
    How do you buy them - do you phone Lego every time?
    I think I should start doing this too, but if I had to call Lego customer services every time I buy a set I think I might go crazy.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    @Si I just wait until I have a few to order at once. 15 different is the maximum from memory but I could be wrong.
    Si_UKNZ
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 654
    Funny you guys mention the DS I have just finished building mine last week and yea it sucks not putting the stickers on, but I just cant stand the idea of them being applied and then ruined.

Thanks for the top tip on buying whilst in production, I might just do that.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^^ Thanks, good idea.

^ Must say that I left my Maersk train without stickers for a similar reason, then when I built a second one I added the stickers, and it made so much difference. What the hell, might as well enjoy the set in its full glory.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I buy extra sticker-sheets on Bricklink. Most sellers sell them extremely cheap.

Also, being familiar with official LEGO stickers is actually a good idea. Sometimes stickers from a set would greatly enhance a MOC, or even another set. So whenever I shop at a store for parts I always check their sticker selection to see what they got.

I'm not a fan of stickered parts (I'm still bothered by the one at the "nose" of the Maersk Train) and rather have printed parts, but if I do use stickers I rather use official ones then something printed at home. And for the price picking up a few extra sheets is really not a problem...(c:

^^
    @Akunthita
    How do you buy them - do you phone Lego every time?
    I think I should start doing this too, but if I had to call Lego customer services every time I buy a set I think I might go crazy.