Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Recycling Lego plastic bags (#5)?

sramsram Member Posts: 60
edited July 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Everytime I open a Lego set, I collect #5 bags. I have not been able to find an effective way to recycle those at all. Searching the web indicates that #5 items are rarely accepted in most municipalities.

Does anyone have any luck recycling those in the US please? I feel guilty sending those to the landfill. There must be a way to recycle them.

Perhaps TLC needs to package them using different bags? The bricks rarely go to the trash, considering the healthy secondary market and the rest of the packing is cardboard that can be easily recycled. That leaves just these #5 bags!

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Comments

• RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    This is a good point. I used mine to separate brick types in plastic bins, but they do not hold up well and will eventually have to be tossed. It would be much better to put them in recycling instead of the rubbish.

Surely other AFOLs have thought about this and voiced their concerns to Lego, no? My impression was that Lego was working had to reduce its packaging waste.
  • dustinmrobertsdustinmroberts Member Posts: 35
    If you have a Whole Foods near you, they gladly accept #5 plastics. I take all of our #5's there, including lego bags.
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    I will go and physically check our Whole Foods. I thought the collection was only in select localities (California and Arizona -- I am in Colorado).

Wonder if TLC has any intention of making this easier for us? Perhaps Europeans have a better system in place for #5 plastic?
  • dustinmrobertsdustinmroberts Member Posts: 35
    I'm actually in Kentucky, so I'm not sure if it's a select locations deal or not. I know they take all of our tin foil, #5, and brown paper bags, so I guess it's worth a try
  • I called my town's recycling center about this and was told that if it's film plastic (like plastic grocery bags) it can be recycled along with all other film plastic (in a supermarket's bag recycling bin). Although they should know, this didn't seem right to me...
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 260
    Perhaps Europeans have a better system in place for #5 plastic?
    Here in The Netherlands plastics are collected seperately. Numbers 1 through 6 are collected together and seperated during the recycling process later on.
    More information about our system on http://www.plasticheroes.nl (in Dutch) or on this translated version by Google (in English).

• LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 714
    Recycling varies so much on so many levels (city, county, state, country), I'd say check with your local establishments.
    In my city the waste management company takes care of it all. We have one bin for all recyclables and they sort it at the recycling station.
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    We try and recycle as much as possible. So except for Wholefoods I have not seen an option for recycling #5's. Though I should call the local recycling center about #5 plastic bags (versus containers).

I was speculating that TLC may not have this in the radar, if the folks that work this problem are Europe based and do not realize the challenges in the US.

My National Geographic magazine arrives in a #4 bag -- why not Lego pieces inside a box?
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 714
    Not to sound un-patriotic, but most Americans don't have a clue about recycling, at least not where I live. To many people, plastic is plastic and goes in the trash. As a nation, we are wasteful.