Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Could we have signatures

Hi there.

I want to ask if we can signatures, I don't mean the big picture ones, I mean ones with quotes, there have been some really funny comments on the forums, and I thought if maybe we could have them.

I understand if you don't want them.

Comments

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    I would have to disagree on this.

These are not my cup of tea at all. Too often it means having to constantly glance across some irritating quote or pun from somebody who in all honesty probably isn't as funny as he/she thinks they are!
    cheshirecatemmtwosixkempo81icey117
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I understand your decision, thanks for posting!
    no probs. I might be in the minority anyway! lol
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,316
    In a word, no.

:-)

The intention has always been to try and avoid as much frippery and nonsense as possible on here. Not from a content perspective, you understand, just distracting screen decorations.....
    SirKevbagsdougtsprincedraven
    Oh yeah. Completely understand, I just thought it would be a nice touch
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,316
    ;-)

No harm in asking !
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,490
    You only need to visit another popular LEGO forum to see the issues caused by signatures: you can't see the wood for the trees.
    richotedwardSi_UKNZsidersddprincedravenSirBendragonhawkkempo81icey117
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,272
    I remember my first time over at Eurobricks I almost drowned in all the words. I couldn't tell which was a response, and what was a signature.

While I have nothing against them, I'm very glad that Brickset doesn't sport them.
    Si_UKNZLegoboyyys4u
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Sigs bring out the worst in people and are little more than brags usually.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    The crisp clean minimalist approach here is what makes these forums so approachable and easily navigable

Leave well enough alone I say
    plasmodium
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 768
    Couldn't agree more with those who are against this idea. We are here to read what others say about LEGO and sigs would make this harder to do.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Technically, we have always allowed a one line, non graphics signature line. As far as I recall, only one person has ever really used it. My preference is for none at all.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/34/forum-rules-and-code-of-conduct-v1-3-april-2012#latest
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited February 2013
    not sure how we can even use it - don't find it anywhere in the profile
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,720

Technically, we have always allowed a one line, non graphics signature line.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/34/forum-rules-and-code-of-conduct-v1-3-april-2012#latest

@Huw reaches for the delete button. :o)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    We should all put the set numbers that we own as the sig's ;)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,030
    edited February 2013

We should all put the set numbers that we own as the sig's ;)

It wouldn't work for most people...

From the rules above .... Signature blocks must be plain text, and no longer than one line in length.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited February 2013
    I agree.

Lark Out / War UNC / What doesn't kill you, will likely make you pretty sick. #LEGO Valentine ; Go Navy, Beat Army!
    emmtwosix
    Well I tried :D

Thanks anyway Admins, some forums, it takes days for the admins to reply :/

I completely understand why....
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ Because they're busy i guess?
    Matthew
  • roguetrader1987roguetrader1987 Member Posts: 45
    Forum post quotes? Yep I hate em as well. Yellowcastle is funny :)
    Do the rounds on some Warhammer 40K forums: unbearable.

"I want to put another annoying example here but just don't have the heart."
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,957
    What would actually be useful is if you could see at a glance which country someone is in, without having to visit their profile.
    richoSi_UKNZUKtsumi
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited March 2013
    ^ That has been tried before, but it didn't really catch on: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/4475/suggestion-country-flags#latest
    I think flags is a pretty good idea if small and subtle. Great quick check for the marketplace.
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 78
    Maybe hovering or clicking on a user's name could bring up a small box with just a few more details about them - kinda like clicking on a thumbnail of a set does.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,030
    If someone wants to give out their location it is easy.

They can either add it to their profile, or they can state where they are when they write a marketplace thread.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,957
    The problem is, lots of people evidently forget to mention where they are in marketplace threads. I think text like "UK" and "Sweden" appearing next to the user's name would be better than a flag image, and avoids having to click on everyone's profile, which is a bit time consuming. Whether or not that's possible in VF, I do not know.
    Si_UKNZ
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited March 2013
    ^ Totally agree - and that was the reason I put my location in my username.

It would be extremely helpful to have people's location listed, if its possible, because of trade threads, as you mention, but also in the deals discussions (which do crop up outside of the shopping uk/usa/elsewhere threads), if people talk about 'amazon' you often don't quite know which one they mean unless you know where they are.

It also would help to know what culture people are from because this affects understanding what they're saying as well as how to interact.
    timinchicago
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,427
    ^^ Time consuming? I clicked on Si's screen name and it took literally 3 seconds to see his location.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I would rather see mods just delete marketplace threads that don't say where they are. There used to be quite heavy moderating of that and changing of titles - i can see it was hard work, but it was worth it. Surely everyone could include a [UK], [US] or [worldwide] bit in the thread title.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^^ Si is an exception - you don't even need to click!
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    No sigs please.