Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Reasonable condition of boxes to accept when delivered to you

CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 592
Hey guys
I have just bought my first 2 sets as an investment to see how they do (2 x Winter Cottage) and they arrived today delivered from Yodel. I have seen some other comments about Yodel not being great looking after the items.

Anyway, mine arrived with a big crack across the cardboard box top where something heavy had been placed. I said to the guy this wasn't great and opened to check. The boxes look in good nick but with a slight crease across the back and very slight crease on the edge (I guess where the heavy item squashed it a teeny bit). I made a not on the signature that the box was damaged on receipt.

At what level can you start to moan about this? I mean if I want to sell these as MISB oneday then I guess a pedantic person would moan. Is it fair to expect them to arrive in perfect condition? I would have thought Lego would send a better box to be honest, it was thin and flimsy. Would I moan to Lego or Yodel?

Any thoughts?
Thanks for advice
Rob

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,137
    For me personally I never have the expectation of a perfect box. If so than I would be returning 75% of the sets I receive in the mail. If that is what you are after you are better off buying off the shelf so you can inspect it beforehand. Minor creases and possibly a small ding are to be expected in shipping and I think are perfectly acceptable for reselling purposes as long as it is mentioned in the description.

Major box bending creases, smashed in corners, crushed/flattened boxes or holes/gashes is where I cross the line and request a return/exchange but being honest the majority of the Lego I have received from [email protected], TRU and Amazon have not had any of those issues.

As for complaints about the condition of your sets, it would be based on what is damaged. If the box seems okay but the sets are damaged than blame the retailer. Was there enough packing material used? Was any used? Did they pack a small set in a huge box and have it rattle around? These would fall on the retailer I would think.

If the outside box is pretty beat up than the blame falls on the carrier and not the retailer.

Just my 2 cents.
    madforLEGO
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ Although either way, your contract is with the retailer not the courier so you should complain to them, and then let them complain to the courier (who they have a contact with).
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,795
    I'll accept most conditions if they are to build immediately. If they are to put away for a while, either as a collectible, or even to build at a later date, I like to store good condition items, so I guess a bit stricter on condition arrival. The only real way to guarantee a mint box is to hand pick one off a shelf, to be honest...
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited February 2013
    Just my opinion:
    If you want mint, do not buy online.
    If you buy online and it arrives with light damage as you have described, that is to be expected.
    If you buy online and it arrives with heavy damage (tears, significant crushing), then complain to place of purchase.

It is becoming 'the done thing' to complain for any tiny ding which will work against you in the long run, it is not uncommon for places to ban you for abusing their returns system, as noted with Amazon recently.
    coachierichomadforLEGO
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    edited February 2013
    @princedraven has it right. And I agree with @richo too.
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    ^Sound advice. Didn't Aesop write something about this? Wouldn't want to have to change my name by deed poll just to get my Amazon account back, like flump did.
    Imagine losing your Lego account? Has this happened to anyone yet?
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    If I'd work retail at the customer service desk and somoene returned a toy Lego box because it had a dinged corner, I would laugh and say "it's a toy, it is supposed to be opened". Funny. Here is a new one...BUILD THE SET!