Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Valentines Day Minifigure in USA

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Listen everyone, I am sorry if I too seem aggressive. Maybe it's my profile picture. I don't know. Remember the Seinfeld episode where Uncle Leo had his eyebrows burnt off and Elaine drew angry eyebrows on him? Honestly, I didn't mean to make people mad.

Yes, I want a White Boba Fett please :)
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Interesting that the white Boba Fett is brought up. 2010 was actually my biggest spending year, about twice as much as last year and Lego did not send me one. 2008 was about the same as 2010 and 2009 was still much larger than 2011 or 2012 was. No Boba Fett for me nor any invites to the stores. No complaints either. I didn't spend a single dollar on Lego in any year in the hope or thought that I'd be given some free bauble or invite by Lego and hence had no disappointment or need to complain when I didn't receive one.

I'll also note again that Lego DID NOT LIE about their criteria. They never announced any criteria. The criteria bantered about were announced by forum members who spoke with so-and-so. That's not the same thing as Lego issuing criteria in a public statement nor is it in any way accurate since their sources were obviously wrong.

Let me show you. I spoke with Lego and they said that all of your VIP points will double automatically starting tomorrow and double every day after that until you have at least 100,000 points in your account. The only criteria is that you buy lots of Lego and send them to prof1515. This offer only applies to VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE so don't let yourself be a common, ordinary spender. Start buying and sending that Lego to prof and become a true VIP!

Did you get your free Coke?

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Pitfall69 said:

Listen everyone, I am sorry if I too seem aggressive. Maybe it's my profile picture. I don't know. Remember the Seinfeld episode where Uncle Leo had his eyebrows burnt off and Elaine drew angry eyebrows on him? Honestly, I didn't mean to make people mad.

Yes, I want a White Boba Fett please :)

See this is what I was trying to avoid in my post! I don't want to force anyone into an apology, as long as we're all being civil we should all be allowed to voice our opinion. I think the reason I used the words "aggressive" is because of the back and forth comments started by this key chain talk a couple pages back between a couple members which seemed to almost get out of hand. So I guess when I read comments dismissing the significance of the key chain, I get the feeling it could become another one of these "personal" back and forth attacks.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

An official statement WAS released after they witnessed initial confusion about whether or not every VIP would get one. Part of that statement was: "the most active and engaged VIP members based on a list of criteria including purchase frequency."

While that is not a quantitative criteria, it is a qualitative one, and it's enough to measure oneself against others yet vague to the point that it opens as many questions as it answers.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,238
    Though I didn't get a Valentine from LEGO, I did get some chocolates from Thomas the Tank Engine so it's really a wash.
    LostInTranslationBumblepants
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,920
    edited February 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

I don't think Lego has to do anything special for their VIPs. If they don't want to be transparent with their criteria on who gets what and when, so be it. They tried to at least do something nice and they get "crap" for it. $500, $3,000 spent. It doesn't matter how much you spent because I know a few people that have spent far more than that and didn't receive a keychain. It's a freakin' keychain.

They don't have to do anything but they did. They haven't been transparent, and this is what has lead to so much discussion. They did try to do something nice, but not for everyone. It is more than a freakin' keychain. Lego told everyone that got one they are a "most valued" VIP. By implication, that means if you didn't get one, lego doesn't consider you a most valued VIP.

As I said earlier in the thread that is like a parent telling one child that they are their favourite, saying nothing to the others, only for the child to tell the siblings. That is bad parenting, and does cause resentment. Same thing here. Things like this happen all the time in life. Such as people getting bonuses at work when it is clear they have done less than others, but just appear to be the bosses' favourite. Without transparency, that causes resentment amongst the rest.
    prof1515 said:

This offer only applies to VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE so don't let yourself be a common, ordinary spender. Start buying and sending that Lego to prof and become a true VIP!

I don't think lego define what VIP means do they? They call it the VIP program, but I've never seen them call anyone that is a member a very important person. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't recall ever seeing it. They rely on implication.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited February 2013
    ^^ Except that its entirely up to them if they want to be transparent or not about something which is outside of any contract/terms and conditions. For example Tesco don't disclose the exact basis for why I received a £15 off a £70 spend money off voucher last week and yet my neighbour didn't.

If this was about the VIP points being randomly allocated you'd have a point, but its not - its something extra, something outside of what they've promised to deliver. Just like 90% of us didn't get invited to the VIP event, or 10% of us didn't get a Red Keychain.

I get the disappointment, even to an extent the feeling of it not being fair, and certainly the idea that its a bad business decision (I'm not sure I agree) but I can see the logic. However, there is a whiff of a prevailing feeling of entitlement, not just to the keychain itself but also to knowing the reason why you (not anyone in particular) didn't get included. Thats what I can't really understand.

Whilst many put across their reasoning for being disappointed and wanting to have an idea of why in a sensible mature way, there are lots who, and this is how it comes across if not meant in that way, say 'I spent X 1000$ so i deserve one'. No - you deserved your 1000 VIP points or whatever it was and no doubt you got those.

The only other feeling is there seems to be more resentment at being not included here than in the VIP event. People were very excited about potentially being included, but I didn't see as much disappointment/entitlement at not getting an invite. I was probably disappointed not to get an invite, but wouldn't have thought once to contact TLG and ask why - or even to think I should know why. Which seems odd, given its only a keychain compared to being one of a select few invited to the events, getting freebies and the extra discount (financially worth far more and emotionally more of a VIP of VIP's). Perhaps its easier to be one of 90% left out rather than one of 10% left out, but then again theres a sneaky feeling that its because some of those left out this time are those that spend X 1000 $'s - again entitlement?

@CCC your point about the choice of words LEGO used is a good one - if there is, as seems likely, an element of randomness then saying 'most valued' is not sensible, but then again we shouldn't read too much into words on a bit of PR.
    richocardgeniusLostInTranslation
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 845
    edited February 2013
    There's a thread on EB about this. A Lego Ambassador (CopMike) posted this:
    From TLG:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our LEGO® VIP rewards program!

It's great to hear from our loyal LEGO® VIP members. In regards to the Valentine Cards we are sending out, this was a limited random mailing to our VIP members who have been with us for an extended period of time, and use the account on a regular basis.

While we recognize you did qualify for this promotion we chose 40,000 lucky members to receive the keychain.
    Hope this clears things up.
    yys4uPitfall69
    ^^ It is something extra, and I fully understand that. There was no entitlement to one, as so I have not lost anything. I'm not really that bothered about not getting a free gift. It is the words they used that bothered me. I now know I am not one of their "most valued" customers. Whether they meant me to know that or not, I now know it. That affects my view of them as a store (not as a brand). I am allowed to be a vip member, but they do not consider me to be in their most valued club. Being a member of it is meaningless as there is no future benefit (or maybe there is), but psychologically I know I am not in it. There is nothing I can do about that - they chose to exclude me. Knowing that does influence behaviour. Little things can tip the balance.

Do I buy from A, who has never told me whether they like me or not.

Do I buy from B, who has implied they don't like me.
  • psychopuppetpsychopuppet Member Posts: 71
    I received mine back on the 8th of this month. It's nice for what it is and after buying all that I did over last year I was kind thinking I would get one. I was still surprised to get one. Doubt I will be using it or that it will see more then the inside of a box once I do my monthly storing of Lego items I built during a month. I wish Lego would consider a paid $10 to $20 membership with a permanent free shipping cap of $39 on top of the free VIP memberships points for purchases. That is keep the free VIP but also offer a paid one as well. I personally would be more then willing to pay to have free shipping throughout the year. I usually end up waiting for the free shipping months , to I have a errand to run near the nearest store 55 min away , or buy from a different retailer. The shipping and gas is just to costly to make Lego [email protected] and stores my all the time Lego buying establishment . Even doing like Disney does with DMR program putting codes in sets to obtain points would be a big step in the right direction in my opinion. Back to the valentines keychain. I think it would be a good idea if they sent emails to those they ship these type of things out to as I have had more problems with my mail ending up at the wrong address then I can count and how really would some know they were sent one if that did happen?
    pharmjod
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    I like the above sentiment. In fact, it is the primary reason I chose to buy the cinema this past weekend online. It is free express shipping so I had it overnight, I got the VIP points and I did not have to spend money on gas or the time to drive 1 hour to the closest store to get it. Plus, I would have had to pay sales tax at the store and I didnt to get it shipped to me. So I lost out on double VIP points, oh well, still better for me.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    All I know is that like anyone or any company, Lego does screw up from time to time. I also know that my experiences with them (stores, customer service, events, etc.) are FAR more good than bad. That's more than you can say for most retailers out there.
    AnseltheCatPitfall69
    It is, but I've never had problems with amazon. If something isn't right, they make sure it is. And they don't charge for shipping. Charging for shipping when someone is paying RRP is so out of date. Lego must know that by now.
    ^ absolutely, I was in their free shipping trial last year. Hope it becomes permanent.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ^True true, Amazon is another.
    I was in their free shipping promo too! And believe me, I took advantage of that!
    It was almost over by the time I even realised :/
    ^Wait...who had a shipping promo? Amazon or Lego?
    edited February 2013
    In the UK, basic postage (3-5 day) is always free if direct from amazon. No matter what the order value. Even 39p.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @maniac Thank you!

edited February 2013

^^ Except that its entirely up to them if they want to be transparent or not about something which is outside of any contract/terms and conditions. For example Tesco don't disclose the exact basis for why I received a £15 off a £70 spend money off voucher last week and yet my neighbour didn't.

It is up to them, which is why I think you'll see most people are correctly not demanding transparency, but rather wishing for it. As I said previously, TLG was motivated enough by the initial confusion to quickly move to clarify that not every VIP would be receiving one; so they obviously recognize the need to provide some clarity rather than suffer from confusion and backlash. That statement was probably good enough for at least 50% of VIPs who can easily deduce that their spending habits are not likely to be considered among the "most active and engaged". Those of us that remain here asking for more transparency are in the other segment since we can't easily deduce that we don't or haven't satisfied the criteria.
    Pitfall69 said:

Last late summer into early fall lego had a promo for vip's for free shipping on three tiers. More than 25, more than 50 and more than 100. I was in the more than 50 group so I spent that and got it. I only know this because I called to order and they explained it to me. they said it was a trial they were running and she specifically said it was to test against things like "amazon prime", basically, to compete against amazon. haha.
    edited February 2013
    maniac said:

There's a thread on EB about this. A Lego Ambassador (CopMike) posted this:

From TLG:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our LEGO® VIP rewards program!

It's great to hear from our loyal LEGO® VIP members. In regards to the Valentine Cards we are sending out, this was a limited random mailing to our VIP members who have been with us for an extended period of time, and use the account on a regular basis.

While we recognize you did qualify for this promotion we chose 40,000 lucky members to receive the keychain.
    Hope this clears things up. To be clear, I'm an ambassador and this was not communicated to us from the CEE team. What I have posted previously is the extent of what we received, except that I should add that we've been told we won't be getting any more clarification but that our feedback will be given to the proper group.

I believe what you posted was a response from an inquiry to LEGO customer service. Information gained that way isn't vetted and easily corroborated like official announcements. Nevertheless, it does match information I've gleaned from other sources, so it seems that it's likely accurate. And if it is, it begs the question why they didn't just say it was random from the start, like they have done with some past promotions. It also shows how poorly used "most active and engaged" was in the clarification. Yes, clearing the qualification hurdle means you were more active and engaged than those that did not, but it doesn't mean you're the "most", and randomly issuing the keychains amongst the group ensures that you're misstating the criteria.
    margot

Pitfall69 said:

Last late summer into early fall lego had a promo for vip's for free shipping on three tiers. More than 25, more than 50 and more than 100. I was in the more than 50 group so I spent that and got it. I only know this because I called to order and they explained it to me. they said it was a trial they were running and she specifically said it was to test against things like "amazon prime", basically, to compete against amazon. haha.
    Hmmmm. So, this was a beta test sent out randomly to VIP members. I never received any invite to test this out.

So...

• timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    ^ There was no invite or any communication about the beta test, at least not for me. I only found out about it when I added things to my [email protected] cart and suddenly got free shipping after $50.
    edited February 2013
    ^Me too, although mine was £25 i think.
  • RykeerRykeer Member Posts: 35
    I received one of the Valentine mailers back on Feb. 9. I was pleasantly surprised. I had bought a few things online this last fall, and a couple of minifgure presentation boxes when I was on vacation (nearest store for me is 6 hours away). And I bought a couple of Atlantis sets the year before at the store. Anyway, when I picked up the envelope, it was already opened and the key chain gone. Either the seal had come loose during transit through USPS, or else somebody had opened it and taken the key chain out. Looked like all the rest of the promotional material was there. I e-mailed TLG the next day, explaining that the key chain was missing and asked if they would be able to replace it, since I would like it for my collection. I didn't think they would and I never got a response other than the automated reply. Much to my surprise, when I got home two days ago, there was a small, padded manilla envelope from Connecticut. Yep, you guessed it. They had sent me a replacement key chain. And this time, there was no chance of it going missing with that packaging. I've had some problems in the last few months trying to get some replacement parts for 10223-1. Never shipped, took a month, sent one part, didn't send the other, finally just re-ordered it. So I was a bit negative on their customer service. But this has definitely reversed that opinion considerably.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ Time to email LEGO and say my keychain was 'lost' in transit. ;-)

Just kidding.

Great to hear LEGO sent a replacement for you. I'm still waiting for that darn flower for my GE.
  • RykeerRykeer Member Posts: 35
    Heh, I thought about that. :) I'm sure they have record of to whom they sent them. I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the thread here, but the key chain has a regular bar code and a MSRP listed on it. I'm wondering if they might eventually end up selling them in the LBR stores.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 808
    I didn't receive a key chain but I've received many other things from LEGO, mainly amazing products and custom service so I will not complain.
    I will however thank the forum members here for a thoroughly entertaining read!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,228
    I just laugh at the the fact that people that LEGO are designating as 'worthy' because of their devotion to LEGO that got these.. couldn't post them on eBay fast enough to make money off of them.
    I must say seeing this crop back up does bug me a bit, but again it will not stop me from buying LEGO in the future, whether it be from their shops or from online.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    I remember when this was 1st announced and I was like: I probably won't get one but no big deal either. Week and a half later I got one in the mail and was like: Thats Cool. Would I have griped and moaned if I never got one? Nope. As others have said Lego can do whatever they want and they didn't have to do this in the first place. I mean I can see some peoples point of not getting one if the dropped a few grand or more last year, but more than likely they are the ones who get the Holiday VIP invitation right before Black Friday weekend. As for the people who are selling theirs right away when they got one, let them. I for one will probably sell mine as I really have no use for it and don't want it just sitting in storage and me forgetting I even have it. As @bmwlego said we get great products and service compared to other companies like WM and TRU where their service SUCKS!!! So those of you who are still moaning about getting one, just give it a rest already. No one likes a whiner.

As @bmwlego said we get great products and service compared to other companies like WM and TRU where their service SUCKS!!! So those of you who are still moaning about getting one, just give it a rest already. No one likes a whiner.

And I find I get great service from TRU when they do 50% off or 3f2. I take mint condition sets off the shelf, take them to a cashier and check out. I need little more than that when it comes to service from a store. So stop whining about them.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    CCC said:

And I find I get great service from TRU when they do 50% off or 3f2. I take mint condition sets off the shelf, take them to a cashier and check out. I need little more than that when it comes to service from a store. So stop whining about them.

That's not service, that's a sale.

Legopants
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,238
    @llanowarsoldier and @CCC - Let's tone it down, please. This is a Forum to discuss such things and dismissing opinions as simple whining is both unwarranted and inflammatory.
    Legopants
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    edited February 2013
    Well, it's 10 days since Valentine's went away, so I'm gonna say I'm a little surprised that this thread still has so much traction.

If LEGO tommorrow said, ¨Okay, to make amends, we'll give every VIP a key chain,¨ would that placate you? Would that make you happy? From the impassioned comments above, I don't know if that's enough now.

This no longer about a shiny key chain, is it? For some, it's gotten pretty personal, This is an affront to your pride, that recognition has been lost and 'special' and 'worthy' along with it, that LEGO doesn't return your love that you spend in kind. Faced with that, how can any company make it right?

Count me as one of the thousands of people who didn't get one. And except for the 2 seconds of held breath before opening the mailbox up to Feb. 14, I haven't wasted another thought on a key chain, or marketing blurb, or what an acronym really means.

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    ^ I couldn't agree more. There's a pretty good case for closing this thread now, as its not adding much to the forum.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Yellowcastle or Huw please close or lock this thread please!
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310

I mean I can see some peoples point of not getting one if the dropped a few grand or more last year, but more than likely they are the ones who get the Holiday VIP invitation right before Black Friday weekend.

Not...

BrickDancer
    Active threads are generally not closed just because some members find them unhelpful.
    madforLEGOforumreadersidersdd
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2013

Active threads are generally not closed just because some members find them unhelpful.

I broadly agree. I think my only point would be that if all threads were like this, it would be a less pleasant place to hang out. This forum's strength is the mature and friendly debate. Forums with petty arguments and constant nitpicking are on the other hand ten a penny on the net.

^ Happily, we don't have that here.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    I got a care package from home containing a VIP minifigure. Sweet.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,395

^ Happily, we don't have that here.

Happily, we don't have much of that here.

It does keep things interesting every once in a while ;-)
    Pitfall69TheLoneTensor
  • LegoDad42LegoDad42 Member Posts: 68
    bmwlego said:

I didn't receive a key chain but I've received many other things from LEGO, mainly amazing products and custom service so I will not complain.
    I will however thank the forum members here for a thoroughly entertaining read!

I'm shocked you didn't get one amigo...you are one of the top customers Lego has. I guess it really wasn't just based on spending habits and it was random with a limited amount.
    I had said the same thing (before mine ultimately came in the mail)...if I didn't get one, it's cool. We've gotten a ton of free stuff from Lego over the years...free MMMB mini-models every month, free polys when you spend a little, free comics, polys and mosaics from TRU Lego builds, free figs and shirts from Club Meetings. What toy company gives you free stuff each month.

If anyone at the store has one (and they don't want it), I'll ask to hold it for you.

• dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I read about this giveaway on the homepage a few weeks ago and thought that it would be nice to get one. Two weeks later I had forgotten about it completely. Got one in the mail on Friday Feb 22. After reading all of this thread i'll just count myself lucky and move along.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Just a little reminder that the charity auction for a VIP minifig keychain is nearly done! last couple of days to enter:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/9300/vip-keychain-charity-sweepstake#latest

Cheers!
    Haha I cant believe how much attention this thread is getting! Its quite comical. My key chain is still tucked away in a drawer...