Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

60026 Town square

rangermattrangermatt Walsall, United KingdomMember Posts: 61
edited February 2013 in Collecting
Hello everyone,

This is where we can discuss the newly announced (by Huw on the frontpage, thank you) town square. According to brickipedia the German price is 129.99 euros and should be released in June. It will be a retailer exclusive in most countries.

Comments

• bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    I'm keen to see what's included. Apparently no petrol (gas) station though. The display it's in is obviously a much larger display so tough to know what elements are included, huw also stated that the bike shop will be half the size it is in the display so i certainly need an offcial set pic to make my decision. I have been after standard buidlings for sometime so the idea itself is very welcome indeed but let's see how it's been executed.
    yys4uStuBoy
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^Agree! I need to see some official set pics to know what its going to be like. But I love non-emergency buildings, so hopefully they're all well done. I would've liked a new gas station though.
  • rangermattrangermatt Walsall, United KingdomMember Posts: 61
    edited February 2013
    ^^ Theres a really small gas pump in the great vehicles set, tanker truck but nothing major unfortunatley.

^ and ^^ TLG probely wanted to keep the set details secret until they released a official image closer to the release date
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,027
    Keep your eyes open for a used #7993 if you want a petrol/gas station. A set I was really impressed with once assembled. Off topic I know.
    StuBoy
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    That set is ridiculously over priced now. 10 times the initial sale price if you buy it new. That is absurd.
  • RTORTO Member Posts: 83
    More like three times the MSRP (including shipping). And it IS a very nice little set.
    ^it is nice, must be due a remake before long. I still would like to see a car dealership and car transport to supplement the non-emergency stuff. I can't believe 2014 will have any emergency stuff as all angles have been covered in the last couple of years so hopefully sets to supllement the town will be on the increase next year.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,717
    edited February 2013
    I like this set, but wish the Octan station was with it.

So, is that Octan 'station' shown actually another set coming out? Or is part of the layout there?
    I am surprised it has taken this long to put out a gas station (and I really hope LEGO does not consider that Parking garage as a gas station)

• HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    The 7993 set is expensive if you want a new one, but can be had at ~35% of that price if you settle for a good quality used one. I've just sold my only copy of this set (MISB), but I might re-buy it used if I decide I need a gas station. The used price is very reasonable, it's not really above RRP.
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    The eBay offers listed for the set on Brickset show 200-400 new, 100 used.

Set sold for 40$ new when it released.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    edited February 2013
    http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=72950 - 42 EUR on Bricklink, that's about European RRP, I guess. On local auction sites it can be had for a bit cheaper, too. I sold my new one for 100 EUR on BL, too.

And doing a search for completed listings on eBay turned up only two sold new examples (at 102.5 and 140 USD).
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 284
    Based on the pictures here, this set both pleases and disappoints me. The individual elements appear to be well executed, but there is a lack of original ideas. Looking forward to seeing official pictures to know what exactly the set looks like.
  • julian977julian977 UKMember Posts: 65
    Really don't understand why we need another bus, bike shop and pizza shop, given the relatively recently retired city corner #7641 . I like the idea of the set, and the statue/crane bit is a lovely idea, but why not release a square that you can add on to 7641, say with an open topped bus, a coffee shop/café and, well pretty much any other shop apart from another bike one? :/
    Matthewbellybutton290LostInTranslationdougts
    ^I missed city corner so don't mind the selection here, but I certainly see your point re the bike shop and pizza joint there are many other shops we could have (not least my car dealership dream). I like your combination proposal aswell it could be like a cheaper and simpler alternative to the modular line and geared toward the standard city purchaser and that age group. I believe there are still calls for a zoo and school from a number of city collecters aswell in additon to quite simply other non-emergency buildings . We have the creator line for houses so we don't need those as such.
    devilhead said:

Based on the pictures here, this set both pleases and disappoints me. The individual elements appear to be well executed, but there is a lack of original ideas. Looking forward to seeing official pictures to know what exactly the set looks like.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Two things the world needs more of are bike shops and pizzas, so I'm not complaining.
    piratemania7
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,302
    Not THAT many more lol...and if they wanted to do another pizza place, make it a competitor's place :)
    Is it always pizza for a reason? Maybe it's because that they have that printed pizza round tile which has been around for years and they need to get rid of a load.

You could easily have a coffe shop or something else.

The bike shop could be a skateboard shop or even a small clothes store like GE.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,507
    ^except kids don't drink coffee. At least they probably shouldn't. Every kid loves pizza. Coffee shop would integrate well into a future modular though.
  • julian977julian977 UKMember Posts: 65

The bike shop could be a skateboard shop or even a small clothes store like GE.

The bike shop in #7642 also has a skateboard in the window display, as well as the one the little boy is riding.

I'd like to see a hardware store: plenty of tools already exist, plus a few 1x3/4/6 tiles in shades of tan/brown for timber, 1x1/2x2 tiles for paving slabs and bars etc etc. (In fact I might just have a go at that later with the kids...)
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    I like the coffee shop idea as a future modular. We should recommend it to Astrid.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,257
    ^ there's already a cafe. I like the idea of a hardware store as a future modular though.

Or a Bank.

Or a Library.

Or...
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376

I like the coffee shop idea as a future modular. We should recommend it to Astrid.

EVERY town needs at least 19 Starbucks!

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,525

Is it always pizza for a reason? Maybe it's because that they have that printed pizza round tile which has been around for years and they need to get rid of a load.

We need a 1x1 round tan tile with brown spots for chocolate cookies for in European sets. And American issued sets can have 2x2 round tan tiles with brown spots for giant chocolate cookies.
    bellybutton290
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,810
    CCC said:

And American issued sets can have 2x2 round tan tiles with brown spots for giant chocolate cookies.

The typical large, individually sold cookies I see here in the US are about 4" in diameter. Considering 2x2 round tiles are used for pizza (14" to 16" diameter?), that would be a bit large. Maybe in Texas.

• ThegoThego UKMember Posts: 264
    Well, if we are looking to mirror the average high street, in the UK we'd need to see a LEGO version of a boarded up Woolworth's/HMV/Clinton's Cards/etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13977255
    bellybutton290
    edited February 2013
    ^lol yeah we don't need glass for window frames just some tan plates to represent boards. bit like that new fire set they just released. All we need then is cash converters, poundland and wilkinson's and your lego city will look like Ipswich where I live.
    edited February 2013
    binaryeye said:

CCC said:

And American issued sets can have 2x2 round tan tiles with brown spots for giant chocolate cookies.

The typical large, individually sold cookies I see here in the US are about 4" in diameter. Considering 2x2 round tiles are used for pizza (14" to 16" diameter?), that would be a bit large. Maybe in Texas.

...chocolate chip pizza (basically a large cookie pie cut like a pizza)
    Ive seen them, they exist :-)
  • wainwribwainwrib Member Posts: 23

^lol yeah we don't need glass for window frames just some tan plates to represent boards. bit like that new fire set they just released. All we need then is cash converters, poundland and wilkinson's and your lego city will look like Ipswich where I live.

Maybe Lego could do a Charity Shop range, mini-Oxfams sold at Oxfam shops etc, that way your Lego town could be exactly like the one you live in. Then at Christmas, instead of the Winter Village, there could be a 'Calendar Club' and 'empty shop that turns into a shop selling tinsel and baubles on 1st December and then is empty again by 27th December' to really reflect what happens.

MinifigsMe
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    How much would the UK price be? I don't like it, I think we should get maybe a football stadium, nearly every town/city has one, but maybe make it so it can either American football or football.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844

We need a 1x1 round tan tile with brown spots for chocolate cookies for in European sets. And American issued sets can have 2x2 round tan tiles with brown spots for giant chocolate cookies.

Cookies!!!
    MatthewSi_UKNZ
    I need that figure....

What about some kind of supermarket LEGO set?
    MinifigsMe
    ^-- I think it is kinda doable now, with all the food stuffs that are available.
    Yeah, and I can see the Shops name
    Brickmart :P
    MinifigsMe
    edited March 2013
    Random google images search today found the box artwork for this (I won't link just incase) seems the set does indeed contain the bus, the road sweeper, the crane, the statue, the green motorcross bike, the light blue cycle and both shops (pizza and bike shops) the bike shop has two floors as we have already seen but is not very deep at all (maybe 8 or 12 studs deep at the most) and seemingly from the fuzzy photo I saw, not as wide as we have seen previously either.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    This set kind of reminds me of this oddball set, 5525. Just a bunch of stuff thrown together.

I think there always room for oddball stuff. That's why we have the word in the vocabulary.

Of course 5525 didn't come a single fig. 1139 parts but no figs, now that is odd!
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    CCC said:

Apparently, you might need 1x1 tiles...but more of them:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eat-less.aspx
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,275
    @prevere #5525 didn't come with minifigures because it wasn't minifigure scale. The little cones with round 1x1's on top are supposed to be people not flowers =)
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432

... the light blue cycle...

Glad I held off on adding the light blue cycle to my collection:
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=4719c01&colorID=105