Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New LEGO Online Reseller (Looking for Feedback)

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272

Atkinsar was right :-).

A partial quote without any context, surely the best kind of quote. I'll leave this thread open on my monitor all day just in case the wife walks by.

Redbullgivesuwindsamiam391Cam_n_StuFurrysaurus
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,931
    @Atkinsar Love it! I am even prepared to testify that you were right if she needs further proof.

@Legoboy I completely agree with you it is a lot quicker to go to lego and ask for the parts. Their customer service is great. However your average joe bloggs on the street will go back to the retailer. And that is what they will do with Jason's site as well. The way it was phrased on the site, and how i interpreted your discussion, was that you were saying to go to lego. When you can't say that. Even if Lego tell the staff to phone them. The shop should still have to offer an exchange for the parts. I do think, like MP3s, with more makers online it is going to be an area of law that will need clarifying.

Perhaps a re-phrasing of the paragraph to say something along the lines of "we accept returns for faulty or incomplete goods. However it is quicker often to go to lego and ask them to send you the parts [insert link to CS here]."
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Good luck.

Although as this is self promotion for a personal trading website rather than a real store, shouldn't it go in marketplace?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    atkinsar said:

Atkinsar was right :-).

A partial quote without any context, surely the best kind of quote. I'll leave this thread open on my monitor all day just in case the wife walks by.

Except I think you were a little wrong. The customer can be made to pay for the return, but the default unless stated is that the retailer both pays for and organises the return.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ sigh! Well she didn't walk past and see it anyway, so nothing lost nothing gained.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • rchaddrchadd Member Posts: 187
    edited February 2013
    good way of selling and avoiding paying ebay/paypal fees. just got to get people to find your site :)
    missing parts are easily ordered from the lego website:

https://service.lego.com/en-gb/replacementparts/#BasicInfo
    Jason - make sure you include your returns policy and other DSR required info in an email or paper copy to any customers (either order confirmation or delivery note etc) because the DSR doesn't accept a website as a valid 'durable' form of communication for post-contract communication (its fine for pre-contract communication). Without it you're opening yourself up to a host of (unlikely but potential) problems down the line.

These may be of use...

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/distance-selling-downloads/Explained/DSexplained_PDF.pdf

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf
  • jasonord69ajasonord69a UKMember Posts: 436
    For anybody who missed out on these, I have managed to secure some extra stock of 10216 Winter Village Bakery and have reduced the price to £59.99 inc delivery.

http://jasons-bricks.myshopify.com/products/lego-10216-winter-village-bakery

There are only 10 available at this price.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Jason, wil you ever get the IS, and if so will it be below RRP, I have a rule not to spend to much on LEGO and the IS just keeps above RRP on BL

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    ^ Given the prices on there at the moment, I doubt you'll save much off RRP buying it that way. Most things are about RRP or significantly more, with the occasional thing less. If you can get it now, get it before it rises even more.
    edited February 2013
    Jason - is shopify not going to significantly eat into your profit - sure perhaps not as much as ebay's %age but given the fact that no-one will know about your store its going to take a few sales even to cover that cost. My guess is that as annoying as ebays cut is its worth it for the exposure.

Oh, and by the way - your T and C's are still massively in breach of the DSR.

Jason - is shopify not going to significantly eat into your profit - sure perhaps not as much as ebay's %age but given the fact that no-one will know about your store its going to take a few sales even to cover that cost. My guess is that as annoying as ebays cut is its worth it for the exposure.

Shopify charge 2% of all sales. No listing charges but £19 per month to host the site. The eBay fees on one Diagon or Maersk would cover that cost for 1 month. I agree exposure on eBay is easier, but for the longer term I am hoping my own site will be more profitable. It also allows me to be cheaper than ebay. If in 12 months it hasn't been a success I may rethink it.

I'm not having problems getting customers to the site at the moment as all products appear in google shopping.

I am still working on straightening out all the terms etc but it is coming along nicely.
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 292
    Have you had any sales yet?
    4 winter bakeries so far and a couple of star wars battle packs.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Jason, will you have sell old LEGO figures? Just a thought of expanding your shop
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,402
    edited February 2013
    Good luck with it, Jason. Looks like a nice site. A refreshing change from some of the ridiculously busy sites that take an age to load because of the unnecessary nonsense people seem to feel they need to add.

Only one comment. I'm assuming that you're a UK based site, so...

Catalog? Catalog!

Get thee hence to a dictionary, young man!

It's Catalogue!

;o)

/gets annoyed by creeping Americanisms

Only one comment. I'm assuming that you're a UK based site, so...

Catalog? Catalog!

Get thee hence to a dictionary, young man!

It's Catalogue!

;o)

/gets annoyed by creeping Americanisms

Oops! All changed. Didn't even notice it.
  • LegoHackersLegoHackers Member Posts: 3
    Have a look at Wordpress and the various ecommerce plugins for your next iteration of the shop - you'll save £19 a month on Shopify charges and pay a little for hosting space. I build Drupal ecommerce sites for a living, but that's probably overkill here at the moment - Wordpress is easy to use and secure as can be.
    personally i would keep the bakery's until closer to christmas you should get more for them. but i guess everyone else will be trying the same!
  • makmak Member Posts: 300
    edited February 2013
    @Legohackers, i think shopify pushes his items to google shopping as part of the package. If he goes solo he'll be doing all that work himself and in the not so distant future, google will be charging etailers to have their items displayed in searches as they are already doing in the US
    rchadd said:

personally i would keep the bakery's until closer to christmas you should get more for them. but i guess everyone else will be trying the same!

Indeed. I am only selling 10 at that price to help generate interest in the site.

• LegoHackersLegoHackers Member Posts: 3
    @mak - Always control your own destiny online [as far as you can] and upload to Google Merchant yourself to get listed in Google Shopping - http://www.google.co.uk/merchants

@mak - Always control your own destiny online [as far as you can] and upload to Google Merchant yourself to get listed in Google Shopping - http://www.google.co.uk/merchants

I upload my data feed to google merchant centre manually. Shopify has an app which generates a feed for me whenever I want it to.
    Only 2 Bakeries left!!
    edited March 2013
    I have started my own website selling Lego. I am based in the UK and have now updated delivery details to include USA.

There are a few products which may be of interest to those of you the other side of the pond. Particularly some Ninjago set which seem to sell fairly well on eBay.com.

Please have a look. As a special offer I am going to include 1 free random Polybag to all international orders until March 1st.

http://jasons-bricks.myshopify.com/

Regards

Jason
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Just a heads up, Google Checkout says there is no valid shipping option for the USA.
    I'll look into it. It should be there but ill check. Thanks

Just a heads up, Google Checkout says there is no valid shipping option for the USA.

It should now be fixed. Fingers crossed!
    2521 Lightning Dragon works out $130 delivered.

2507 works out $150 delivered.
    I have received feedback that shipping to the USA is not working. It should now be fixed, Canada should be fixed later today.

If it is still not working could somebody let me know and I will look into it further.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ Nice website. Kudos. I hope your LEGO endeavor is a grand success!
    ^ Thanks.
    Unfortunately I am having trouble with Google Checkout not accepting payment from outside of the UK. I am working on this but it looks like it may be a few days before it is fully rectified.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Definitely like the look of the site -- very clean. I don't like the cluttered look of other similar sites I've seen. Let us know how it goes.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I was able to place an order this time... thanks for working at it... :)
    ^ Excellent. I am glad it is finally working.
    edited February 2013
    Shipping to Canada now fixed and should be working correctly.
    After a bit of a rough time with Google Checkout errors I have finally managed to get the checkout working again.

Payments are now accepted without signing up for a google account and I have put a selection of items for reduced prices.

I am also going to issue a free Polybag with each order for the next week.

I am on holiday for a few days so items won't be shipped immediately.

As the shopify system is so easy to use I have decided to keep that platform and I have also changed the website name to:

www.brick-a-brac-uk.com
    After a bit of a rough time with Google Checkout errors I have finally managed to get the checkout working again.

Payments are now accepted without signing up for a google account and I have put a selection of items for reduced prices.

I am also going to issue a free Polybag with each order for the next week.

I am on holiday for a few days so items won't be shipped immediately.

As the shopify system is so easy to use I have decided to keep that platform and I have also changed the website name to:

www.brick-a-brac-uk.com
  • chrisdojochrisdojo Member Posts: 169
    Wow, my work web filter blocks your site.
    Reason: The Websense category "Potentially Damaging Content" is filtered.
    Ouch! I can assure that there is no damaging content. Unless you drop a box of bricks on your head of course :-)
  • josecafejosecafe Member Posts: 29
    Can you stock a Battle of Hoth board game? I really want one, but Amazon won't ship to US.
    ^ I'll see what I can do for you.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,355
    ^on sale 50% in Asda
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    josecafe said:

Can you stock a Battle of Hoth board game? I really want one, but Amazon won't ship to US.

You can order it from Amazon France. Costed ~$42 shipped to Los Angeles.
    edited March 2013
    I have updated my website to now ship to Australia.

www.brick-a-brac-uk.com

Also if there are any products that those of you 'down under' are having trouble getting hold of please drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.
    I have increased the number of products in the Sale. Limited quantities available of each product. All are new in perfect / almost perfect condition.

Link to sale items below.

http://www.brick-a-brac-uk.com/collections/sale-items?page=1
    I have increased the number of products in the Sale. Limited quantities available of each product. All are new in perfect / almost perfect condition.

Note 2521 is now approx $120 delivered!