Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Strongest Subthemes

bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
edited February 2013 in Collecting
I have been going through the new city 2013 sets and feel the new cargo theme is particularly strong with not one poor set in it. This got me thinking that we often talk about our favorite sets or what we consider to be good sets individually, so I'm now curious about what you guys feel are strong sub themes in their entirety and what ones you are trying to complete. I for one feel the traffic theme is another good city subtheme with a large selection of sets and recently some absolute crackers including the 2013 cement mixer.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,457
    The current cargo (2013) sets are strongly biased towards air freight (two planes), and then just one cargo lorry. This is a bit of a downside considering most freight transportation is by ship, rail and lorry. So I don't see cargo as a complete subtheme - if they don't have trains and ships then it is somewhat lacking and so it is not a strong theme in it's entirety for me.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Aghh. I never buy city lego, but really like the couple of Cargo sets...
  • joeejoee Member Posts: 42
    I've always liked the airport/planes theme and love the new stunt plane that has come out. For other subtheme from I'd say Black Falcons from Castle & Blacktron from Space.
    Oldfanrocao
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Stunt plane is very nice I have to say.
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 374
    CCC said:

The current cargo (2013) sets are strongly biased towards air freight (two planes), and then just one cargo lorry. This is a bit of a downside considering most freight transportation is by ship, rail and lorry. So I don't see cargo as a complete subtheme - if they don't have trains and ships then it is somewhat lacking and so it is not a strong theme in it's entirety for me.

Although you're right that a lot of freight travels by ship, rail and lorry I think you'd be surprised at how much comes by plane! Excluding the 'holiday' airlines like Thompson pretty much every other plane will carry cargo. And then there's cargo only aircraft as well!! You guessed it - I work in airfreight!!!

Whilst not a town/City fan I may have to get some of the cargo sets!

^ Yeah, but a cargo line with no ships or trains is like SW without Darth Vader.
    ^to be fair aren't the new cargo sets actually classed as "airport" and trains and ships classed as "trains" and "harbour"?
    edited February 2013
    ^ In the brickset catalogue they are - no new sets are in the Cargo subtheme. But in name they are Cargo Heliplane, etc.

I just think there should be more ships and planes!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,584
    I don't know if its a proper subtheme but I like the old Town sets from the beach/leisure subtheme (just bought surf shack #6595 off eBay) and I think that's a great unisex theme with scope for both vehicles and buildings and is just plain fun! It also ties in nicely with some of the Friends and Paradisa sets I've got and will be buying in the future (dolphin cruiser!). I might need to do a seaside MOC :-)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,584
    Oh, and I loved the Islanders subtheme of Pirates! I still have the catamaran set I had in my childhood :-)
    Si_UKNZ
    CCC said:

^ In the brickset catalogue they are - no new sets are in the Cargo subtheme. But in name they are Cargo Heliplane, etc.

I just think there should be more ships and planes!

True. I am now slightly disappointed they missed on ships (though we had a bad one in 2011 was it?) and the airmail stuff since you pointed these out, however the sets they have chosen to release are all great imo.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,703
    I am a big fan of the Wolfpack subtheme of Castle and Ice Planet 2002 of Classic Space. The Deep Freeze Defender was one of the best ships of all time.
    ^absolutly loved the first space police sets off the back of classic space. I think they were all great, I especially loved the little jail cells that attached to the various ships with the trans red aerials they used as the bars on the door I don't recall how many sets there was in that little subtheme maybe 4 or 5 and all were great even the little signal decoder buggy.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Looking at the upcoming sets, Return of the King looks like being the best LotR subtheme, so that's my favourite.