Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10232 Palace Cinema

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409

^ as far as I'm aware each of the Modulars has been available for three years.

Cafe Corner and Green Grocer were both 2 years each.

Fire Brigade will be 4 years come this Christmas.

So no, the 3 year thing is not true I'm afraid...

2 years makes sense, 4 years is long enough that they really aren't "special" anymore. If big sets stay out forever, there is no reason to buy any of them now.

I won't buy PC when it comes out, why bother when sooner or later, it will be 30% off somewhere.
    madforLEGOSi_UKNZ
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,104
    hmm I'd be extremely surprised if Fire Brigade is available much past March tbh. I'm fairly certain it'll be discontinued when PC comes out.
    HarryPotterLover
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    I think that people are more impressed when they see a row of these building then just one individual model, and like I said before TLG plans to keep FB and GE around for this year at least!
    Grogall said:

TLG plans to keep FB and GE around for this year at least!

Really? wow, that does surprise me, especially as neither are in the new 'line of modulars' photo that includes the PC.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    edited January 2013

Grogall said:

Really? wow, that does surprise me, especially as neither are in the new 'line of modulars' photo that includes the PC.
    Because 4 years from now when the PC is still around the FB will not. I am afraid that the FB will not disappear till this time next year.
    ^ yes but in 4 years time the Pet Shop and Town Hall won't be around either, yet they're in that 'line of modulars' photo.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The line of modulars picture is just showing 3 buildings.

Fire Brigade has Cafe Corner and Green Grocer on the back of the box.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited January 2013

^ as far as I'm aware each of the Modulars has been available for three years.

Cafe Corner and Green Grocer were both 2 years each.

Fire Brigade will be 4 years come this Christmas.

So no, the 3 year thing is not true I'm afraid...

2 years makes sense, 4 years is long enough that they really aren't "special" anymore. If big sets stay out forever, there is no reason to buy any of them now.

I won't buy PC when it comes out, why bother when sooner or later, it will be 30% off somewhere.
    This may be a bit off topic so i imagine it will be moved to the secondary market thread but the way i see it is:

Longer life=more produced and sold therefore supply is bigger than demand

we can only hope that in several years time there is a huge surge of new AFOLS :)

Although even by then i bet there is still one or two sets out now that will still be available when that time comes :D

• Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251

Grogall said:

In the modular picture with the new model it only ever includes the last 2 buildings, along with the new one. It's always been this way. They must consider 3 enough to display the connectivity functions. As the last 2 were Pet Shop and Town Hall these will be what is in the picture. It doesn't mean they are retiring.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2013
    ^^ Even a new surge of AFOLs wont make much difference imo. After a point, with each additional modular building that is released the positive reasons for someone to try and collect them all, or even purchase a particular one, diminishes. Prior to that point the extra marketing/exposure of each new release brings in new people and hence increased interest in each of the older sets. But its a balance and with the added effect of LEGO keeping more modulars available to buy at RRP for longer I'm guessing its a balance that has tipped.

If someone comes to it now there are 7 existing and previous modulars. Even at that point people are going to start to be dissuaded simply by where do they keep them all? I suspect most people could display 3 or 4, perhaps even 5 if they really wanted to. But add in a third corner - that complicates things. Ok, you can rotate them, display some and box others. You can easily spend £120 on a new set without feeling like it needs to be displayed all the time, but do that for 5 of them? Then spend 3xRRP, or 8xRRP or even 15xRRP and do it with the older ones? If there's too many to display thats a massive disincentive to buy them all.

So then you think, ok I'll just get a couple. Which do you get - those available at RRP or less or those OOS for much more? Especially if they get a bit more detailed, using some of the newer brick designs etc with each release the decision gets easier and easier. Other than the 'I've got to have them all' mentality of an avid collector there's less and less incentive.

8 next year, it won't be long until the series runs to ten buildings. I can't imagine that many new Afols will be too interested in collecting them all - or any particular one of them.
    leemcg
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,174
    edited January 2013
    I think there will always be those that want every Modular and will have means to get it and display it regardless of price, otherwise CC and MS (yes I know NOT a mod, but still viewed as one) would be 200 dollars right now even with the idea that they are inferior to the new designs. There will also be those that missed out on the CC, for example, when they were kids or could not get it at the time and still want that set as well.
    ^ Oh, there will always be the odd one and globally that makes quite a few (but not enough to outstrip the number of FB sitting MISB in wardrobes). However, I think those that are drawn in to the modular range with each new release are less and less likely to feel the need to get every single one - and as soon as you don't feel the need (aren't able) to get every single one its easier and easier to miss another.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,174
    Take the FB for example.
    It is a firehouse/ fire station, and not one likely to be re-done in the future any time soon once it is gone.
    Since fire stations appear to be very popular it stands to reason that people will have no problem paying for one long after it is gone (at least unless they re-do it which Im guessing they will not).
    Now I'm not sure the same will be said for GE and PS as they are 'generic' shops/locations
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    I think that's a bit simplistic way to look at it.

First, surely demand diminishes over time. But so does supply, especially of MISB examples.

Secondly there are those who don't want to own all modulars just the ones they like. And maybe CC or GG is among those they like for some of them. For example I'd like to own the following: CC, GG, Pet Shop and maybe Grand Emporium. The American style buildings I have a lot less desire to get as if I ever build a LEGO town it will be a European one.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    burnsider said:

^^ 79003 An Unexpected Gathering is an awesome Hobbit set. You should get that one.

Actually, that is the only one I'm considering.

As for the modulars, there is a vast range of reasons why people enjoy them (and Lego in general). Not everyone wants to display them, not everyone is compelled to own all of a series. My desire to buy or not buy any set is primarily based on the merits of that particular set.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    edited January 2013

If there's too many to display thats a massive disincentive to buy them all.

So then you think, ok I'll just get a couple. Which do you get - those available at RRP or less or those OOS for much more? Especially if they get a bit more detailed, using some of the newer brick designs etc with each release the decision gets easier and easier. Other than the 'I've got to have them all' mentality of an avid collector there's less and less incentive.

I have to say despite being out of my dark ages for two years and despite liking the modular line, your point above is exactly why I am yet to enter into the wonders of the Modular line. Space is certainly an issue for me I have no hope of displaying more than say 3 and I won't spend the amounts of money that Modulars cost to pack them away and have minimal interest in selling on , once I pick 1 or 2 current sets, I have room for 1 more what do I get? do I hold out until every set is released then pick one of those or what? how many more will they release? one assumes enough to make an entire block but do we know that for sure as you could always interchange future ones with no issues at all from TLG's point of view. It's just not worth it for me personally.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    edited January 2013
    I think there is some validity to that. When there are only 6 or 7 or so then people want to collect them all and are willing to go after the hard to find ones. Once you get more of them then at some point people don't want all of them (expense and space considerations) so they will get what is out there now and pick and choose if there is something they really like from before. I personally am very excited to get a new one each year and am building a modular city layout in my basement so space is not a consideration but for many that is not the case. Old modulars will still be in demand but there will be limits for those reasons.
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    edited January 2013
    Edited as the video is already up.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    aaaaaaaaanyway ..

is it just me or is anyone else disappointed they used grand emporium arches in this one? so many other colours and shapes to choose from and they choose that.

also, am i imagining it or is there glass in that arched window? probably wishful thinking.

im loving that tiled roof .. wish id thought of that!!

real shame about the car, what a waste of bricks
    ^ think you're imagining it, sorry!
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    GIR3691 said:

Hope it looks a lot different than my cinema MOC.

Just saw this and must ask. Is that telescope in the roof next to all the glasses an easter bunny? ;)

• RTORTO Member Posts: 73
    legoprods said:

GIR3691 said:

Hope it looks a lot different than my cinema MOC.

Just saw this and must ask. Is that telescope in the roof next to all the glasses an easter bunny? ;)

Look more closely. He created a pattern of goblets and telescopes.

And I think you meant Easter Egg??
    legoprods
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2013

...... real shame about the car, what a waste of bricks

Sort of aggree, it's is probably fine if you have a streat\city display, but my modulars are on a shelf that is just about perfect depth for the base plate, so there will be no room for the car, unless I park it on the foot path. I will most likley shoved inside the cinema if it fits. The Fire Brigade was fine as it has a garage.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    RTO said:

Look more closely. He created a pattern of goblets and telescopes.

Ha! My eyes missed that! Looks kind of strange with the unregular pattern. But the set itself is great. You are lucky that this modular doesnt look like yours!

And I think you meant Easter Egg??
    Yes, pardon me. ;)

• gregoryrichardsgregoryrichards Member Posts: 10
    Do the lights to light up the building have light bricks in them? Or would there be a way of putting a light brick on the sign or in the lamps? So pleased VIP members will be able to buy palace cinema from 14th of February it says so on brick fanatics http://brickfanatics.co.uk/uk-brand-store-feb-deals/
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    I just heard about that as well. A 'special' deal for VIP members to buy the set early...when by all previous accounts, March is double VIP points month. A mere 2 weeks later. I think people would be better off waiting, really.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    With the receipt of the VIP Valentine, we now know VIP members can purchase this set as early as February 14th!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Or someone could say, "A mere extra $7.50 in VIP points to wait an agonizing 2 weeks to build it?!?"
    AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    All I can say is the tax man cometh, I can spendeth!
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited February 2013
    I think double VIP doesn't start til near end March (25th?), so it is quite a wait from 14 Feb. Not sure if I will manage it - too much agonising!
    Palace cinema is now available to order in the UK I have just ordered it I can't wait to get it.
  • LEGOMAD73LEGOMAD73 STAFFORDSHIREMember Posts: 157
    Is there a link to order the cinema, I can't see it on the site, I have tried the VIp section, Thanks
    Hi it's really weird I posted a link but it doesn't take you to the page. I genuinely have ordered it and have an order number. Hopefully lego will sort the problem out so people can order it easily. Might be better to phone customer services if the page is still difficult to get to.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2013
    it's in Shop > Exclusives, appears as the first item for me
    Might not be available in every country though.

Just wondering if its worth waiting .. isn't there a special offer period usually around easter?
  • meiklelewismeiklelewis Member Posts: 57
    I've just ordered off this link. Thanks :o)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ not working for US
    It was on display in the Manchester store this morning. Looks very nice although even on display the limo looked out of place. It doesn't fit on the raised perspex plinth which is exactly baseplate sized. So its underneath, almost entirely hidden by the VIP exclusive sign.

They'd also put the first floor on wrongly, so it overhang the back by a stud...
  • makmak Member Posts: 300
    edited February 2013
    ^ it is working if you sign in to your VIP account. If you go the what's new link and filter by 'High to Low' price, its the second item
  • LEGOMAD73LEGOMAD73 STAFFORDSHIREMember Posts: 157
    Contacted Lego, and they having system issues, but I have ordered one now with free shipping, yay!!!! Ordered from the exclusives tab.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ nope. i find the item fine, but it's not available to add to my cart - says coming soon March 1. and yes, I'm signed in. I can even add it to my cart if I switch my country to the UK, but as soon as I swap back to the US, it removes it from my cart again
  • makmak Member Posts: 300
    ^ You're right, my bad
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 318
    It is live in the US now (I woke up a 2 am and it was not yet available). I will personally try to resist ad wait until march. Then I will be near a store that has 3% lower tax, double vip points will be offered and there is the free gift (republic frigate) too.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    I notice that it does not show up at all unless I am logged into my VIP account, much like the mini modulars. For some reason it is no longer visible as "Coming Soon".
  • flyernutflyernut Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2013
    ^^I think the frigate is only with a $50 star wars purchase. Far be it for them to give it to you for spending $150 on something else.
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    In the USA, it appears that [email protected] is offering free shipping on CP during the preview period. The order also qualifies for the helicopter poly.

The fine print says that the free shipping only applies to the CP, and only in the contiguous states, but I live elsewhere in the USA (HI), and it's still showing free shipping for me even with my postal code entered.

If I add anything else to my cart, a shipping charge is applied.

So no double VIP points, but this offer may appeal to some.
    dougts
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,574
    I am tempted by the free shipping and low price of £115. But I think I'll wait for a better offer.
    !5% off during an AFOL Day seems better to me. :)
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 153
    Couldn't wait. I happened to be in London for meetings and popped into the Westfield store to grab one. And no, I didn't plan it that way - honest.
    FollowsClosely
  • vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    i still wish they wouldve made it so that we could change the lettering on the marquee and let us decide what movie was playing
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    vader34mt said:

i still wish they wouldve made it so that we could change the lettering on the marquee and let us decide what movie was playing

They did; it's called making your own decals. There's no way that they could make a marquee to scale that would allow enough space for creating titles using tiles or bricks with printed letters on each. On an 4-wide or 8-wide side a sticker would be the only way to do it short of allowing you movie titles a mere 4-letters in length. Hence as it is, you just have to manufacture your own decals if you want to swap films on the marquee. It's really about the only reasonable thing that could be done. Could Lego have provided a variety of stickers featuring different films? Perhaps, but that's about it.