Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Valentines Day Minifigure in USA

Comments

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,550
    edited February 2013
    samiam391 said:

Better work on that.. you have until Thursday.

Not at all. Thursday is merely laundry day for me, same as any other. That's not just because I'm single but because I despise the so-called holiday that's approaching. In the past, I've gone out of my way *NOT* to do anything special on that day. I'd take the gfs out before or after but not on that day. I'd buy her a rose every week on a particular day of the week but if the "holiday" fell on that day, she'd get the rose on the day before instead. Same goes for physical displays of affection. Nothing more than usual on that day and quite possibly less. Fortunately, every woman I've ever dated shared my distaste for that day as well so it's never been an issue. :-)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Do you happen to have that laundry folding apparatus that Sheldon uses? I just had to ask, since that was the first image that popped into my mind :)
    Pitfall69
    LOL Nope. Technically it's not laundry day but rather "compression sock laundry day". The compression socks I have to wear to deal with the problem with my leg circulation are fairly expensive ($24-$32 a pair and I have to replace them every 3-6 months) so I buy seven pairs, ie. a week's worth. Other clothes I'm a lot less orthodox about (I wash them when I run out and that varies depending on how many of a particular type I have) but the socks are a must-have so they require a schedule to ensure I always have them. Oh the joys of a partially-unknown circulatory disorder!
    You're so precise and sanitary. With those traits, I would confidently buy a used Lego set from you any day of the week. But maybe not so much for consoling contest or raffle losers.

You're so precise and sanitary.

Anybody who went through another year and a half of the non-stop pain from the wounds the socks have helped avoid would do the same!

• RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    I'm inclined to go with the random assigning of these keychains to active VIP shoppers. I don't think I spent over $500 in LEGO in the past year...or maybe I'm in denial.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited February 2013
    prof1515 said:

People shouldn't worry so much about it. It's a plastic keychain, not a vaccine for a disease or something.

The post that someone said about organizing a protest were surely in jest. Beyond that, I don't see anyone worrying that much, and certainly not to the point of losing perspective to view it as anything close to a lifesaving vaccine.

However, it does represent more than its value as a "$5 keychain" to some of us. If you aren't able to acknowledge this, then I gladly offer you $6 for yours.

We are collectors of LEGO, and TLG is cognizant of and capitalizes upon this situation. Limited offerings continue to alter the rules of the game. There, of course, have been many examples of limited offerings previously, but we generally have been able to understand their availability: sets only available in certain stores, regions, or countries; sets offered only to employees of a particular company; sets available for purchase on cruise ships or airlines; items for attendees of Comic-Con and Toy Fairs.

The chrome C3POs and Darth Vaders packaged with anniversary sets were giveaways that were purely a matter of luck. You and I could purchase the same LEGO set, and you might come away with a figure while I would not. With our anecdotal evidence, after clearing a relatively low hurdle, the distribution of these keychains most closely resembles luck, however luck was certainly not mentioned as a factor. For me, making sense of this is what much of this fuss is about.
  • wesman888wesman888 Member Posts: 6
    I thought this key chain was just started to send out from Lego in January or February, however, for some reason, BL has it selling since last September for about 10 bucks.. Anyone know if this is some left over key chains that Lego is sending to us? Anyone know?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?G=853303
    edited February 2013
    @rocao From the sound of things though this isn't going to be a limited availability item. This is just a crack at a free one in an envelope.

The reaction that I was commenting more in regard was the idea that Lego should reveal the criteria or that somehow Lego was not meeting their own rules. As Lego never offered specific criteria, it's not fair to hold them to (as it turns out, incorrect) hearsay. It also really doesn't make sense since for them to release criteria for future reference since that would be no guarantee that the criteria would be identical the next time or that the criteria that some believed to be legitimate somehow constituted gospel.

That's the problem with speculation. When one speculates on what they have to do to get something without any definite evidence, such as a public statement by the company, they're setting themselves up for disappointment. However, it's not necessarily in Lego's best interest to announce the criteria that they're using either. For one reason, they may not be able to if luck is one factor. :-) For another, it's meant as a gift, not as a prize. A prize is something you seek and attain through your own effort (most of the time) while a gift is something you accept on the generosity of the giver.

As for mine, I am still holding some sets that you were interested in and would happily toss it into the lot if we can finalize the deal. :-)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,564
    edited February 2013
    I'm just upset that @Prof1515 is not taking this seriously.
    (and yes, that is a joke people)
    I understand everyone has their opinions and hold fast to them (as I do that as well) but I think after 1-2 pages it is safely said that everyone got their point across and no one is budging.
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 2,093
    Erm, got my keychain yesterday if anyone's interested :-S
    LostInTranslationZon
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    Still nothing for me. :( I probably fail in the "VIP events" category...whatever exactly that is.

Too bad I don't get 'points' for the frequency of my visits to the LEGO Store (probably about 4+ times per month). :)
    I think everyone just needs to calm down.. it is not the end of the world if you do not get one of the-.....
    Legopants said:

Erm, got my keychain yesterday if anyone's interested :-S

.... #$%^$ WHAT?! Are you KIDDING ME?!?! HULK SMASH!!!!

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    I think we may be in the last days of distribution by mail? Thoughts?
    Im guessing the last days of distribution occurred already and whatever is in the postal service is what is left.. Im guessing that all should probably have their fig by Saturday
  • bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    edited February 2013
    I received one last Saturday (Feb 9, in Delaware, USA).

My three year old son saw it and said, "Dada, can we share this?" and proceeded to carry it around all day. He even took it to bed for his afternoon nap (along with his usual Elmo stuffed doll). The keychain tag began to bend from his constant fingering. He asked if we could remove the tag. Eventually he put it down and I moved it out of his reach and he forgot about it.

This past Christmas we started putting keychains on the Christmas tree, so this one will join them next year.
    LostInTranslationindigoboxMathBuilder
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Got one on Monday. Nice little gift; I appreciate the gesture.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Anything is possible with USPS...

Next time your post man drives up, check to see if he has one tangling from the rear-view mirror. You might be surprised...
  • SarahIsabellaSarahIsabella USAMember Posts: 69
    edited February 2013
    Mine arrived today (Houston, TX) so there may still be some stragglers out there.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    edited February 2013
    I spend more than my brother n law. I make a lot more so that stands to reason. My gift is higher taxes and he gets a huge amount back from the government. I have less to worry about than not getting a key chain. I love Lego and I am sure TLG appreciates their many loyal customers.

With that said I would have preferred every loyal VIP to receive this gift :)
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 477
    ^ +1
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    Apparently 150+ VIP transactions in the past year is not enough frequency then...

...or too much
    yys4u
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    I thought grab bags were cancelled because of CPSB regulations?
    madforLEGO
  • skherbeckskherbeck Member Posts: 33
    I spend plenty at at the Lego online store (well over $500/year) and am a "VIP" technically, but did not recieve a minifig. I think that sucks... and since I don't seem to be enough of a VIP to warrant special treatment (i.e. free gifts, shopping events, etc.), what do I care if they cancel the gifts altogether? (Yes, I am complaining!)

If you're going to have a program for showing customer appreciation, there should be clear guidelines and consistent application of the program to all clients.
    Drmnez
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,937
    Personally, I don't think it should be based on purchasing amounts or frequency at all, because not unlike the pre-black-Friday things, it just ends up being an elitist rewards system.

I'd rather they either give it to every VIP, or make it a simple random lottery amongst all VIPs.
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    Over the last twelve months I have spent a fair bit and made a lot of VIP purchases. I didn't get a BF invite and I haven't received a red chrome keyring.

Oh well, it would have been nice, but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it. I'm grateful that I can afford food, a roof over my head and to spend some of my extra on LEGO.

First world problems. Seriously, we have it very good.
    GothamConstructionCoLostInTranslationindigoboxcheshirecatLegopantsThegopharmjod
  • ktmoktmo Member Posts: 73
    It's not the first time I didn't get a Valentine from someone I love.
    DrmnezLegobrandonCPThegotomahawkerYellowcastle
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    Wow! There are a lot of spoiled people out there. So, you didn't get a keychain (neither did I BTW) and I bet your heart kept beating. If they are limited, then Lego must have had a criteria. And what makes anyone think that Lego is under any obligation to share that criteria with anyone?

It's a keychain people. The earth keeps spinning. You'll survive.
    piratemania7LegopantsLostInTranslationLegobrandonCPcheshirecat
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 855
    Ill just buy/trade from non lego websites mostly from now on
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,388

And I'll keep buying discounted lego from other places.
    dougtsforumreaderBrickDancer
    edited February 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

Excerpt from FBTB website

...about that red chrome minifig keychain: I have it on good authority that the one of the main criteria in selecting who received the gift was based on the frequency of VIP account activity, and not necessarily on dollar amount spent, during the year 2012."

We've already seen how unreliable information "on good authority" means though when it comes to criteria for this offer. The only real authority that I'd trust is an official statement released by Lego. There are just too many false prophets in the Lego community. I remember a Lego store employee telling me "for certain" that Collectible Mini-Figure Series 4 "is the last one" even though I'd seen photos of Series 5 or another telling me that "according to their sources the next Modular is a corner building haunted house".
    Pitfall69 said:

So, please, do us all a favor and be grateful that such a program exists to surprise and delight some customers instead of complaining about not being lucky enough to get one....

I agree completely with this especially with those calling themselves AFOLs unless the A doesn't stand for adult and instead stands for something else.

Sorry about the messed up quote, Pitfall69. Didn't realize I'd forgotten to close the quote bracket until the edit time had nearly expired. My bad.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited February 2013

Wow! There are a lot of spoiled people out there. So, you didn't get a keychain (neither did I BTW) and I bet your heart kept beating. If they are limited, then Lego must have had a criteria. And what makes anyone think that Lego is under any obligation to share that criteria with anyone?

Again, I don't see anyone asserting that not receiving one will result in heart failure or planetary catastrophe or death by disease.

You're right, TLG isn't obligated to explain their criteria, but they did exactly that shortly after the release of the keychain in an effort to clear up confusion about whether it was for all VIPs or more limited. In that statement, they vaguely explained the criteria as "our most active and engaged VIP Members based on a list of criteria including purchase frequency". My criticism is they should either state no criteria or be clear on it. With it remaining vague, it causes the situation where people conclude that they should have received one.

The description for the Black Friday invitees was also "most engaged", so it stands to reason that same segment would receive a keychain, but that isn't wholly the case. "Purchase frequency" was expressly called out this time where it wasn't before, so it seems it is a shift in focus and an important measure. Yet several people that received keychains have stated here that they shopped between 4-8 times last year, which is far short of the 100+ times of dougts or my own frequency.
    madforLEGOCCCYellowcastle
  • The_MackThe_Mack Member Posts: 239
    I actually got one in the mail yesterday Feb 13th. So I say be patient, there is still a good chance one may show up.
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    I have not got one yet......I'm just hoping Arkham Asylum plus all the other sets I got will help my chances.
    I still didn't get one and just a bit disappointed, but I'll survive of course. However, I will not go and complain to TLG as it may indeed spoil it for others (and the overall point of an appreciation gift). What I will do is not go and pick up the Palace Cinema on opening day as they were encouraging their other VIPs. I was looking forward to it but will take the advice of others and wait for a promo to pick it up.

Seems like a fair response in kind and I'll call it 'even' on this incident. Until then TLG don't call me, I'll call you. I'll be flirting with an Amazonian at the bar and talking to that dirty Wally guy down the street who keeps winking at me (shivers).

P.S. I hope we can kiss and make up in time for May 4th.
    Jennidougtsindigoboxvwong19
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 457
    /\ That is what I will do if I don't get one. d:
    Ah May 4th.....Its the most joyous Lego day of the year! Too bad the Lego store is always Insanely crowded by me.....Although I am sure its like that everywhere.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    I've decided I'd really like TLG to stop using "engagement" in their explanations of criteria. I really don't think they're using the term with it's plain English meaning.

While the stores know who's engaged the corporate office can't. I didn't swipe my VIP card when I worked 2 days of the grand opening, they don't know I've been at every MMMB since the store opened, I'm not sure even the site owner knows I'm the only one updating iPAB for our store, they're not there to see me help parents and grandparents find gifts, they don't know that I'm recognised on first Tuesdays as that woman who'll find whatever CMF you want, because of our move they won't see my name associated with our LUG when it starts or all the emails involved in getting it to this point, they probably shouldn't know that the staff have been known to give out my email to random AFOLs, or that I brought back OMFs as gifts for them last summer.

But my store manager does, so I may not have a key chain I wouldn't know what to do with, and honestly I am still slightly miffed about it, but I'm off to sign up my daughter's friends for Club meeting for her farewell party, which I may not be allowed to pay for and to remind him of his promise to keep a copy of each MMMB for when we move back next year. And this relationship of respect and kindness with many of the employees there far outweighs a piece of plastic and TLG's opinion of my "engagement".
    rocaoLegoboydougtsFarmer_Johnindigoboxcmrt1014Yellowcastlepiratemania7
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    edited February 2013
    prof1515 said:

We've already seen how unreliable information "on good authority" means though when it comes to criteria for this offer. The only real authority that I'd trust is an official statement released by Lego. There are just too many false prophets in the Lego community.

Couldn't agree more. Too little information provided to me by shop employees has proven to be right. The information I shared however was not provided by a shop assistant or similar. I had sight of the promotion detail itself ie. "a statement released by LEGO". Now, this fact can either be dismissed because it came from a stranger or it can simply be accepted on the face of it. I of course cannot speak for @Pitfall69's usually reliable source but something isn't ringing true. I would love to know why they haven't carried out the criteria set out in their directive.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    ^account activity may
    prof1515 said:

Sorry about the messed up quote, Pitfall69. Didn't realize I'd forgotten to close the quote bracket until the edit time had nearly expired. My bad.

It's all good. Just wanted to say that my post wasn't what I said, but just what the guy that runs FBTB said. Just passing along information :)

what does May 4th have to go with LEGO?
    edited February 2013
    ^---- I presume you mean 'do' not 'go'.
    'May the fourth be with you'... get it? :-)
    It is LEGO SW sale day.
    ^^May 4th is a good day for SW fans. Previously UCS R2 was released and a nice sale on big sets (like IS & SSD last year) and exclusive promo (TC-14). This year will be the new X-wing but too early for info on sales and promo.
    Oh man we are off the topic of the red valentines day figure!
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    You guys are all missing the real important point of the story.

It's not about some shiny, little red guy on a metal chaIn. It's that person who, when you come home with 3 boxes of LEGO, rolls their eyes to heaven (again), sighs heavily, and says, ¨What do you want for lunch, besides LEGO, cherie?¨

It's just after nine here, I'm going to get out the champagne that's been chilling, dim the lights, give extra thanks for the patience and undestanding that my valentine has so kindly given over the past year, and then we'll............fix the MMV that the kids have absolutely disfigured.
    LostInTranslationMathBuilder
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,638
    You know, ever since I got my Lego VIP card years ago. I always thought it would be neat to get a chrome red minfigure like the one on the card and have been hoping they would release one. Now that they have it would figure that I don't get one in the mail. But that's ok, I'm not mad or jealous of the ones that did. I just hope they do release it for the general public to buy. Because, really, it would only be about 5 bucks to buy anyway.
    indigobox
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,388
    A chrome red real minifigure would be way better than one attached to a keychain.
    indigobox
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    So I guess to get a gift from LEGO is to buy everything in separate transactions. ;-)