Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anything else like peeron or rebrickable?

beabea Member Posts: 227
Are there any other sites out there like peeron or rebrickable that will allow me to maintain a part inventory and use it to see how many parts I have from a certain set?

Unfortunately, it looks like peeron is not maintained any more and rebrickable seems a bit buggy from what I've tried.

I would really like to have a site/program which will allow to substitute older parts for their newer revisions. For example, I have some newer parts which are the same size/shape/colour as those in an older set I'm trying to build, except they have a tiny extra groove. Rebrickable is not able to allow me to substitute one for the other. Anything out there that can?

Comments

• peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    I think I know what you mean - and no, there is to my knowledge no such site.

Often a set uses e.g. a 1x1 brick with technic-hole, even if the hole isn't used - or a 1x2 brick with groove, even though a plain 1x2 brick would suffice. Examples that come to mind is the 10212 Imperial Shuttle and 7744 Police Headquarters.

But making this substitution would require detailed scrutiny of the instructions - not something that could be done automatically, but would have to be manual work. And often it would be a matter of taste and personal preference if one brick could replace another. For these reasons, I don't think we'll ever see a site able to do just that.

Rebrickable is able to substitute colors though - but not bricks.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I was just hoping it could catch the cases where a brick received a slight tweak and replaced an older brick with a different part number

For example, the set I was looking at used http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4864b. It seems this has not been used in any sets since 2008 and I don't have enough of this part. However, I do have lots of http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=87552, which is essentially the same part but with a ridge on the side (presumably for added strength). It looks like 87552 has been used by TLG since 2008.

However, rebrickable was not able to make the connection or allow me to substitute one part for the other. I've run into the same issues with various other parts (rims/tires/axles come to mind).

I realize it would be a pita to have someone go through and work out all the part succession, but I wish it would at least allow me to make the substitution I know about in my own account so that I can more easily get an accurate parts list.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,315
    What you're describing in respect of substitutions sounds complex, not to mention subjective, and I don't believe any existing site has the capability.

I'm a big fan of Peeron, but it's becoming more obsolete every day as newer set inventories and parts aren't added. I think Rebrickable is therefore your best bet, and the integration with Brickset means that porting over your set listing is easier if you've been logging them.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 624
    ^I agree, it's sad to see Peeron slowly fading away; I really enjoy that site. Maybe if I win the lottery I could afford to revive it...

On topic, I've heard of no other sites similar to either Peeron or Rebrickable.
    madforLEGO
  • JamesJTJamesJT Member Posts: 440
    Bricklink relies on peeron part numbers. Bricklink will have to change to the lego official part numbers if peeron fades away.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,435
    I used to rely on Peeron ALOT for part lists, but I noticed that they errors and never were updated, OR had the wrong part listed for that set. and now use BL for inventory lists for old sets.

All in all, these sites are not free to run, they take resources, time and money. and many people just assume the sites will run carefree and accurately for years.
    Sites really rely on the Community to help keep running. If that support is lost, you will see a degradation of quality.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Does anyone know what happened to peeron? I've tried sending them a part list but nothing happened. It seemed to already be falling into disuse when I found it but I actually prefer it to rebrickable.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,487
    Peeron is dead. Dan Boger, the owner, has lost interest and it's no longer maintained.

I have discussed trying to revive it/take it over with him but haven't been able to reach agreement yet.