Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Mold Controversy

IS it just me or is the ban on new molds needed for CUUSOO rediculious when they can make a few dozen new molds for Friends sets?

Comments

• mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    From a business standpoint it makes sense for LEGO. From what I understand Friends has created a huge new revenue stream which provides them the opportunity to create new molds.

If and/or when CUUSOO can creat that same type of revenue for them I am sure they would open up the possibilities for new molds.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Thus far seeing as how Cuusoo has been based around small sets, it probably doesn't seem practical for them to call for new molds... It is amazing though how we'll see some new oddball piece in a regular set that is never used again and was never really needed in the first place..
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    This is true- especially when people try to vote for whole new themes.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,874
    ^Whole new themes is not the aim of Cuusoo though.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,938
    I think it is a good thing. If your design relies heavily on new parts, then it is going to be expensive for the size of the run likely. It is also a way of cutting out licensed themes where minifigs with explicit designed heads are the main draw.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    edited February 2013
    Mark Stafford ( @Nabii ) gave the answer to this question right here on Brickset:

"Cuusoo sets are produced in batches of 10/20,000 whereas retail LEGO sets are produced with a minimum of half a million sets each. Sales pay for the mold which is a very expensive item - until Cuusoo sets go on sale demand is considered hard to predict, so the rule of no new molds was introduced."

In other words, molds are tremendously expensive and the only way that TLG can subsidize the cost of them is to produce a lot of parts with them. That's not an option if the sets they're designed for are inherently

This doesn't mean a Cuusoo project that has non-existent parts has no hope of success, though, because it's entirely possible that a part that can perform the same function either already exists in sets (without the project creator being aware of it) or is being designed for another theme that has not yet been released. For instance, if the Back to the Future Delorean project had called for a new 1x2 curved slope piece, that's ostensibly a new mold. However, since the project succeeded we have seen that such a piece already has been created for some of this year's summer sets like the LEGO Friends Dolphin Cruiser.

This is part of why projects can't be rejected outright due to a need for new molds until they've passed review and been handed over to LEGO Group designers-- only LEGO Group designers really have the authority to say whether a new mold not already planned for a theme in development is absolutely essential to a project.

Cuusoo currently even has rules in its terms of service regarding what project creators are owed if a new part project (not a set project) passes review. But of course, this is a different case because the part is being designed for future use in regular retail sets, not a Cuusoo-specific set. As such the part can still be produced in the requisite quantities. It is not clear if Cuusoo will issue any rules against new part projects, but currently there doesn't appear to be any definite need for such a rule.
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    I think that, apart from the whole economic aspect of creating new molds, requiring a new mold for a creation, is against the whole idea of LEGO and Cuusoo.

Like most others, I enjoy new parts in my LEGO-sets, but I also admire when existing parts are used in new and creative ways. If Cuusoo-projects focus too much on new parts, then it isn't as much a set built with LEGO-bricks, but just a toy that I would like LEGO to produce. I think Cuusoo should be more about what we would like to be able to build with our favorite toy, than what we would like our favorite toy-company to produce ... I know - it is more of a gray area than a fine line.

I think that Cuusoo should be about sets and construction - not about parts or themes. And I have a hunch that TLG feels the same way.
    plasmodiumdougts
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    If an official Lego Designer is given a project to build something...it's minimal new parts, cost effective structure, and playability.

I see Cuusoo as a fan-based structure to be a Lego Designer. Not to design whatever MOC we want, and expect TLG to produce it. Really...most CUUSOO projects should START with that in mind.

If the build is "too" simple, it's easier to add on...than pair down.

Look up the design vid for the New Arkham Asylum. The designer is a lifelong MOC fan, and explains what is expected of him as a Lego designer. That set is completely AWESOME, and uses many existing parts in new ways.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    It seems to me TLG uses Cuusoo as a tool to come up with ideas for their own sets. They use it to find out what is popular, deny the ideas due to lack of parts etc, and then use the ideas for their own sets. I remember a very popular zombie themed Cuusoo set that was denied due to being inappropriate for kids, and suddenly TLG came out with their own zombie sets lol.

They never choose the sets we all want due to BS reasons (parts, cost too much etc) so why on earth designers give TLG free material I will never know. I would not be surprised if TLG produces their own Western modulars after the current city theme is done.
    dragonhawk
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561

I remember a very popular zombie themed Cuusoo set that was denied due to being inappropriate for kids, and suddenly TLG came out with their own zombie sets lol.

The problem was not the presence of zombies but rather the other aspects of the set via association with its IP origins. There was a big difference between the two uses of "zombies" and that makes all the difference.

They never choose the sets we all want due to BS reasons (parts, cost too much etc) so why on earth designers give TLG free material I will never know. I would not be surprised if TLG produces their own Western modulars after the current city theme is done.

They're not declining them over BS reasons. New molds for sets with production runs of 10,000? 2000 piece sets? Intellectual property clearly inappropriate for a childrens' toy? These aren't BS reasons for declining anything. The only BS is the extreme lack of creativity and the inability of the allegedly-adult community to comprehend rational limitations of the Cuusoo concept.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Bah, freaking 6 minute edit window!

I remember a very popular zombie themed Cuusoo set that was denied due to being inappropriate for kids, and suddenly TLG came out with their own zombie sets lol.

The problem was not the presence of zombies but rather the other aspects of the set via association with its IP origins. There was a big difference between the two uses of "zombies" and that makes all the difference.

They're not declining them over BS reasons. New molds for sets with production runs of 10,000? 2000 piece sets? Intellectual property clearly inappropriate for a childrens' toy? These aren't BS reasons for declining anything. They're perfectly rational and practical reasons. The only BS is the extreme lack of creativity and the inability of the allegedly-adult community to comprehend rational limitations of the Cuusoo concept and produce viable concepts for production.

And we "all" don't want the sets to which you refer. With tens if not hundreds of thousands of people likely voting on these things the thresholds they've set do not constitute "all". I, for one, can say I haven't voted for a single set which has reached the threshold and personally don't like them at all. I may be in the minority or I may be in the majority. Either way, there's hardly a uniformity of support in the community to justify the thought that Lego is doing anything that could not be expected and predicted via little thought and common sense.
    dougts
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    The only BS is the extreme lack of creativity and the inability of the allegedly-adult community to comprehend rational limitations of the Cuusoo concept and produce viable concepts for production.
    Bingo!!! Cuusoo's problem in a nutshell
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,938

It seems to me TLG uses Cuusoo as a tool to come up with ideas for their own sets. They use it to find out what is popular, deny the ideas due to lack of parts etc, and then use the ideas for their own sets. I remember a very popular zombie themed Cuusoo set that was denied due to being inappropriate for kids, and suddenly TLG came out with their own zombie sets lol.

So how long do you think the design of all the Monster Fighters sets and minifigs took? Do you really think they saw the Winchester project and then came up with the entire MF range and designed the massive haunted house set in a rush? And then cancelled whatever the one-year range was that this rush job of the MF line replaced.

Or is there the slightest possibility that they had these designed as part of their regular programme of releases?

I know which I believe happened.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    CUUSOO is an opportunity to "play well" by Lego rules, and get something creatively done by fans. It's unfortunate that some subthemes, licensure, etc seem to get in the way...that's what creativity is all about.

Want a SW set? do microscale like one that's out there. It's a new niche with a popular genre that isnt currently produced, and probably wouldnt be otherwise.

Want a IP set in general? Use the catalog of parts out there. Lego does. I just think CUUSOO isnt about new molds and/or licenses. It's about creative builds by fans that work in a cost effective way for all parties.

I love BTTF project getting made...I would understand if it hadnt, however. It's IP, and that complicates things.

What other company let's you have a chance to design a toy based on crowdsourcing/proliferation? I love Lego's idea.