Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Buying because of low price-per-brick?

Sorry if this is already discussed somewhere, but does anyone else buy sets because they've got a low price-per-brick?

For example, if a set goes on sale at below 4p per brick, I'll buy it, almost no matter what theme it is. Obviously there are themes where I'll buy the sets regardless of ppb (such as Modular Buildings), but with most other themes I won't buy them unless they go below that 4p per brick (or 5p if I take a liking to the set).

What I'm curious about is whether anyone else does this? And if so, is it a common thing to do?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,305
    No, I check the actual contents before buying. If it is all technic pins or other useless (to me) bricks, then I don't care what the price per brick is. If it is a set I want, I don't care what the price is. Minifigs and other large parts can highly skew the price per part, especially in small sets.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Pretty common among a lot of people, either for part packs or they love the set. Not that common for me to find good sales though. There's 2 walmarts we sometimes go to and one is pretty much down to the leftovers of leftovers from post christmas sales so nothing major is left to be discovered. The other one at the moment sale wise is a combo of a few small sales and Lego sets with the clearance tag and it's at full retail.

I will go after sets on sale mostly as parts since there are some really cool items in them like CMF's i caught series 5, 7, and 8 at a buck a pack(5 was last year and 7/8 this year) and got them mostly for minifigure parts or my best find of all. It was 2 magikus sets that i caught on sale at BAM for .90 a piece after my 10% discount. I'm still not sure what i'm going to do with the parts but you can't exactly pass up that sort of deal. at just over 90% off, that's less then a penny a part!
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited February 2013
    It's not exactly the same thing, but you might like to take a look at this thread: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/6178/price-per-piece-ratio-do-you-believe-it-is-a-factor-for-buying
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Lol, I do this,

Just last month I got World Racers Gator Swamp #8899 it was the only Lego in a clearance section for 75% off, I also grabbed some Cars 2 sets for 75% off late last year. Both themes I'm not really into but I couldn't resist.

I'll purchase just about any set that is 40% off or more, luckily for my wallet it doesn't happen often as the words Lego, Clearance & Australia don't generaly go together.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Only if I want the pieces. If I don't want the set, there's almost nothing that can make me buy it regardless of price per piece or discount. It's all about the piece selection. If I see a good selection I can use then I'll jump all over it. Price per brick only adds to the likelihood I'll buy.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 312
    A low PPB is enticing but needs to be kept in context. Many brick boxes have low PPB and are great for starting out a collection but they often contain many basic bricks. When looking at sale items i tend to look at the savings per brick which is ( RRP - sale price ) / brick count. Still i only get sets that spark my interest, could make good gifts, or i am pretty certain I can resell for a profit (I have never sold a set but have a few that I will likely sell within a year or so).
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    Ive tried to stop doing this (after a Cars 2 75% off binge) as i end up with a lot of weird pieces i don't need.