Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Toys R Us...R U For Real?

vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
edited November 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
So of course Bricktober is happening this month. Toys R Us Canada doesn't have nearly as many sales as in the US, but this week was Kingdoms and City 15-20-25% off so I decided to purchase a few big sets to get the full 25% off. I ordered on Friday to make sure everything was in stock, which it was. I got an email yesterday saying my order was shipped, and another one saying that my Medieval Market Village was removed from the order as it wasn't in stock. Funny because when I ordered it it was in stock. Most online stores I've shopped at normally honour the purchase and ship it later. It sucks because this set isn't available in stores either.

I'm pretty disappointed about it, considering that there are so few good sales in Canada, making it not really worth it to shop there. Has anybody else had a similar issue?

Comments

• snowconesnowcone Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2011
    I want to get a couple more sets while the B1G1 50% is still on. I had a $10 off coupon to apply to my order. However, the $10 off coupon removed my free ship promo. I placed the order anyway and called the TRU CS to adjust it. The lady said the FS promo and coupon wouldn't stack. :( Well, I had a friend who did the same and the CS was kindly adjust the price for him.

I noticed the free snowman and Christmas tree wouldn't stack as well. My friend got the CS fixed that but I wasn't that lucky.

Anyone experienced the same? I wonder if I should call at certain hours to avoid those agents... (I called twice at the evening time. I wonder if I got the same person!)
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Yes, inconsistent service. I called last week when the Red Cargo Train popped up briefly on-line. There was a very nice lady who helped to get my order for the BOGO 50% City deal going on. But by the time she went to hit the submit button the cargo trains went out of stock. Dunno if they should have been there in the first place or not. Anyway, she apologized and gave me BOGO 50% credit for the next time the train came in stock.

It came back in stock tonight, so I called. The lady I spoke with tonight was very annoyed with the whole deal. She said they couldn't do the 50% discount straight up - it was too big of a discount. So what they would have to do is charge my card for the full price and then credit some back on my card. The way she calculated it initially though was charging me 2x + tax, and then only giving me back 50% of one item. But not giving me the tax back. I had to walk her through how I was getting ripped off. After all that I didn't want to press on the free tree deal.
    @sidersadd - I wonder if we talked to the same person. If you asked about the free tree deal, I bet she would say that couldn't be stacked. :(
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2011
    One time I had a downright combative person on the phone when I called about the S4 minifigures. For some reason, he wouldn't check and see if they were in any stores. The next time I called, I got a completely pleasant and helpful person.

I suspect that part of the problem is that occasionally, you reach an unhappy person - and they're less likely to try to help you out.

Other than that - I think there's probably a limit to the authority these people have, and very poor communication about what can or can't be done regarding stacking multiple promotions.

In the end, it would be really lovely if TRU would just fix their web site so we didn't have to go through this every time.
  • gruetzmacherdgruetzmacherd USA, WIMember Posts: 30
    And as of today, a new deficiency added to their website.

Apparently, for any LEGO sets > $99, you are limited to purchasing one (1!!!) or a given set per order.

So much for the B1G1/B1G2 sales...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    yeah, i just ran into that myself Gruetz. if this is the future of BOGO, I'm probably not going to use it much again, if ever. Especially considering the big markups on most of their items.
    edited July 2011
    And as of today, a new deficiency added to their website.

Apparently, for any LEGO sets > $99, you are limited to purchasing one (1!!!) or a given set per order.

So much for the B1G1/B1G2 sales...
    What a bummer! If we all shop elsewhere, they will reduce the prices again to try to get our business back.

I wonder if it's online only or apply to in-store purchase as well. Anyone knows?
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 270
    TRU must be trying to make it harder to maximize the BOGO discount. I know there have been notices on the site that limit the amount of a certain set you can buy, but I've never seen it enforced before. Perhaps other customers complained that the LEGO sets sell out really fast and TRU is trying to discourage resellers. Looks like I need to start using my wife's TRU account again...and I thought I only needed that so the Christmas bonus rewards weren't limited...
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2011
    TRU must be trying to make it harder to maximize the BOGO discount...Perhaps other customers complained that the LEGO sets sell out really fast and TRU is trying to discourage resellers.
    It's more likely that TRU is trying to limit the potential of exhausting their stock and being forced to reorder and run the risk of then not being able to move them. Toys R Us, Lego, etc. couldn't give a damn about discouraging resellers because any way they look at it they get their money whether from Joe Builder or Jim Reseller.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ But then they run the risk of not exhausting current stock, and I think they would much rather go through it and deal with a re-order since they simply have the option to not re-order or can try to correctly size the additional shipment.

edited July 2011
    ^ But then they run the risk of not exhausting current stock, and I think they would much rather go through it and deal with a re-order since they simply have the option to not re-order or can try to correctly size the additional shipment.
    If they've ascertained, based on past purchases, the number of sets they'll sell in an initial offering they have little fear of not exhausting current stock. They've been open long enough to get an idea of how many sets to stock and likely know that large purchases of multiples at one time and multiple purchases over a period of time bring in the same amount of revenue. However, those seeking a single purchase can always go elsewhere if everything's sold out. Toys R Us is very good at navigating consumer tendencies. After all, look at how many of you buy from them despite the markup.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 270
    edited July 2011
    Based on how often sets come in and out of stock at TRU online, it seems that they are constantly re-ordering inventory (though it might be that they release certain inventory at a certain rate based on timing of sales rather than making it all available at once). I'm not sure why they run out of inventory so quickly when a sale starts or if that is by design.

My guess is that orders from resellers might result in a lower profit margin on the overall purchase because they're just buying Lego sets and always maximizing the BOGO discount, whereas a builder/parent might be more likely to buy slightly different priced sets for variety and perhaps purchase other items into the same order that aren't on a discount because of the free shipping, etc.

The max purchase limit on Lego sets seems to show that TRU is interested in making low volume orders to many people rather than high volume orders to a few people, which would support the assumption that they are not as interested in the profit margin from selling Lego to resellers. I guess the fact that they only allow one BOGO discount per order is another indication that they want to spread the purchases out to as many people as possible.

Of course, I agree that the same revenue is made if each person is able to maximize the discount by buying same priced sets and doesn't purchase anything else.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited July 2011
    ^^ If they correctly ascertained the number of sets they would sell and had little fear of not exhausting stock, they probably wouldn't have found themselves in a situation where they needed to implement a purchase limit of one :p

Also, this limit is only on sets that are $99 and higher, so if this was strictly an exercise in inventory and purchasing efficiency, why would it not translate to all sets?

My best guess is that the limited quantity policy is for the usual reason: it's better to at least partially satisfy 10 consumers so they can purchase one copy than to allow one consumer to purchase 10 and turn away 9 unhappy potential customers. TRU stocks less of the $99 and higher sets so there is more of a real threat to running out of stock than with smaller sets.

At the end of the day, we both may be giving TRU too much credit in thinking there is method to the madness :p
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Currently, most of their non licensed sets carry no extra markup including the direct sets online. And even sets marked up 10% end up 17.5% Off MSRP with the BOGO50% sales when paired correctly. And I am happy enough to save 17.5% though it gets even better with other licensed sets that are marked up less like the Falcon (7%), Frigate/Ewoks/Gungan/ Dathomir (8%), Hogwarts (0%), Bounty (6%), etc.
    its pretty obvious that TRU's online system is severely out-dated. Who doesn't have their inventory tied to their website in real-time? why do i get one email saying "we got your order", then another one hours or day later saying "we found the items in inventory" Why when I order 4 things do I get 4 separate shipments - that is costing them tons of money in wasted shipping costs.

But you are right - they should honor the price if you were able to checkout.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I've heard countless stories like this regarding online ordering from TRU (not just LEGO) - items being dropped form orders, items being substituted with 'similar' items.... I feel sorry for those shoppers involved, and I am amazed that TRU continues these practices - and even more amazed that they can continue to do business online.
  • vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
    I ended up contacting them about it and they should be calling me tomorrow. Hopefully something good happens.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    My only issue is with the crappy sales we get compared to the States! Ive never tried TRU online ordering (and probably wont!)
  • vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
    Customer services ended up phoning me yesterday. They said that if I put in a future order for MMV, to just call them and they will honour the sale price. It's an extra hoop to jump through but at least I got what I wanted, hopefully.
  • ThisIsMyCupThisIsMyCup Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2012
    So today i went to my TRU to get week 3 Bricktober magnet and i noticed a few sets that had been markedup. The City of Atlantis and Village Mill Raid were @79.99, the Ninjago Spinners 12.99, Ice Dragon Attack @34.99(wtf?) and a few other that i cant remember. Has anyone else noticed this increase?? This was in USA, florida.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    Well, those are the prices online now. Something has got to be messed up here... more than 10% markup on non-licensed sets? And a 75% markup on the ice dragon???

I've been told by a TRU employee that the reason they mark up Lego is cause "they gotta make SOME money..." is the company really creating customer loyalty with their sales, such that people will continue to shop when there aren't sales? Good luck to them on that.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    This is why I don't buy Lego's at TRU...unless they are poly's...to friggin overpriced. Plus, I got a Lego store here in town where I can get my VIP points. The decision is so HARD.
    If this is the case across the board, then it's pretty disappointing. I wonder if they're prepping for a sale...which if so should be illegal IMHO.
    illegal?!?!?!?!

it's a free market. TRU has every right in the world to set whatever price they want, regardless of reason (and if it is in advance of a sale - look at furniture stores!). And of course I have every right in the world never to pay full price at TRU.

in this day and age it is exceedingly simple for people to do a bit of price shopping from their couch, sale watch, etc. i dont' hold much sympathy for someone who pays a bloated retail price because they didn't do any homework.

Not saying I like TRU policies - I find them distasteful. but I fully support their right to treat their customers like garbage if they think that's a good business model.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    illegal?!?!?!?!

it's a free market. TRU has every right in the world to set whatever price they want, regardless of reason (and if it is in advance of a sale - look at furniture stores!). And of course I have every right in the world never to pay full price at TRU.

in this day and age it is exceedingly simple for people to do a bit of price shopping from their couch, sale watch, etc. i dont' hold much sympathy for someone who pays a bloated retail price because they didn't do any homework.

Not saying I like TRU policies - I find them distasteful. but I fully support their right to treat their customers like garbage if they think that's a good business model.
    It is a free market and TRU indeed has every right to do this. I don't blame them whatsoever for marking up prices.

However, the practice of marking up prices, and then promptly having a "sale" on the new marked up process does violate consumer protection laws. KB Toys was the subject of a huge class action lawsuit because of this, and lost.
    really? how does every furniture store in the universe get away with this then?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,775
    ^ it relies on people not remembering what the prices were before and you dont really ever. People see a sale and think its a good deal. Tescos in the UK have been found to be also doing this and because people think they are getting a sale they dont complain. I dislike TRU thoroughly they treat their staff like S&^% (my girlfriends Sister works for them) and they try and get away with murder so I refuse to give them my money.
    Moving the following comment to this thread

giraffefreckles 12:11PM

How many of you are in the same mindset? (Bricktober No)

Haven't indulged in any bricktober sales at all. I think I got turned off TRU when I bought a POTC set with a discount, then got home and discovered the original price was above msrp. Makes the Harry Potter trolley gift with purchase not "free". Hmmmph. In addition, the magnet minifigs are cute and would be a welcome addition to my fridge, but theirf crossover appeal decreases due the permanent gluing.

Overall, I can get better deals at Amazon and Barnes and Noble, with better customer service. (Anybody else receive a delivery box full of loose merchandise, such that the soap bottle dispenser dispensed all over a third of your TRU purchases? [but luckily not the LEGOs.])
    Artificially increasing the price of an item or service so you can then put it on fake/sale is just plain wrong and hopefully illegal in most areas.

As to the original post, I visited my TRU in Northern Virginia and both the City of Atlantis and Mill Village Raid were each still $69.99.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    edited October 2011
    I can confirm that the City of Atlantis was $79.99 in the Lake Grove, NY TRU. I didn't notice MVR...
    I should also note that Wal-Mart does sneaky things like this a well - they've been known to label things as "clearance" at the original price.

Yes, it's wrong, but no, it's not going to stop me from shopping there. I always compare the sale price at TRU (or Wal-Mart, or Target) with the MSRP listed on Brickset, so I know when I'm getting ripped off. I get a lot of cheap LEGO like that. Typically between 20-30% off MSRP. After you throw in the rewards bucks and TRU credit card, that'll give you another 1-5% off of everything.

Also, for the record, I'm perfectly happy to have someone else with deeper pockets and less information subsidize my LEGO purchases by paying 10-20% over MSRP.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,382
    If this is the case across the board, then it's pretty disappointing. I wonder if they're prepping for a sale...which if so should be illegal IMHO.
    That is exactly was I was going to say.... After all Bricktober for the week 4 is coming up.. although I read an article somewhere that it is supposed to be illegal for a retailer to do this.. only the actually manufacturer was allowed to do this, not a 'middle man' but I am sure TRU has some legal way to get away with this....
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,382
    edited October 2011
    really? how does every furniture store in the universe get away with this then?
    Im sure there is a 'legal' way they are slithering around this, perhaps if they have an exclusive relationship with the factory making it or OWN the factory making the furniture they I think they are allowed, BUT TRU is a retailer and certainly does NOT make LEGO, nor are they an exclusive handler of the product...
    That being said I am sure that TRU has a group of lawyers that have manuvered legally around this ...

Again like others have said vote with your wallet. If you do not like the prices, go to Walmart, Target, or Lego themselves.... Local toy outlets, etc.
    Walmart seems to have better un-announced price drops on certain sets (like 104 for QAR) anyway... Hoping they do this with the Pet shop and Diagon Alley to be honest.

It still is a shame that TRU is doing this.. stupid moves like this only will cost them business and drive them into financial issues.. especially now with the economy the way it is I have a feeling people will be more cautious with their money and not fall for these artificial price increases to prep for a sale.... either that or someone needs to go to the BBB and raise and inquiry...
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127
    @jwsmart most people see the word clearance and think it means 'Less priced than before' and usually it is, but retailers don't have to define it that way, a number or them see clearance as 'No longer replenishable' aka they will never get any more in stock. Usually when the second definition happens many retailers take a price reduction on the item and it thus meets the 'common' first definition that immediately springs to mind. I once heard that each dept in Walmart has a 'Clearance Budget' in dollars and someone at the store level could decide which items get how much discount, that can leave some item with no budget dollars to spend on getting rid of them. It did and does explain some of the nickel off clearance prices on some items at Walmart and the occasionally massive difference in clearance between different Walmarts that I have seen.

In general TRU does tend to mark-up prices whenever and where ever they can get away with it. I was unable to get to TRU this week and thus wasn't able to if they've been messing with their prices recently.
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127
    With TRU online you want to order as early as possible to have your order higher on the list as certain items can go fast online especially if they are online only.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    Last year my local TRU rised there prices on all the Lego by 10-20% above the already inflated prices about 4 weeks before christmas!
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    TRU is getting pretty bad. I've been shopping there less and less because of the mark-ups. I've even passed on the last few BOGO 50% because the things I'm interested in have already been marked up at least 10-15%. Its not much of a deal after that.

I've also noticed Wal Mart sticking sets in the clearance section that are still full price. Our local store had 3 Temple of Dooms that just sat there for months. We even tried talking to the store manager but it did no good.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 767
    edited March 2012
    Stopped by TRU today to spend $50 gift card and use $5 in Rewards coupons and left empty handed. I couldn't see spending what they were charging for LEGO sets. Mark ups across the board and it is the worst I have ever seen. Even with a sale of $10 off $50 sets I couldn't believe what they were charging. $16.49 for the small Dino quad set! $120 for the Dino large set. The new Camper was $27.99.
    Finally, I found some Friends sets and brought them to the register only to be told by the cashier that she couldn't sell them to me because they shouldn't have been on the shelves yet.
    TRU's prices are so out of hand it is not worth shopping there anymore. I am a knowledgeable AFOL and I know that gripes about TRU's prices are nothing new but they seem exceedingly expensive right now, more than usual.
    Anyone else seeing constant upticks in LEGO pricing at TRU?
    this is the worst time of year for TRU prices. they pretty much jumped up in early to mid December. I would expect them to drop back down closer to RRP over the coming weeks.

Not that they still don't charge a premium markup - especially on the licensed themes. but non-licensed themes are quite often sold at RRP at TRU - just not right now.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    edited December 2011
    I believe they are still using their christmas prices. After the new year some prices will go down....but not by much. Remember TRU charged 149.99 for Hogwarts Castle and QAR originally. Basically TRU is a total rip-off anymore when it comes to Lego. Thank goodness for the Shop @ Home and the Stores.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Yes, it is bad, but the three stores in my area are virtually cleaned out. I tell you if I could run a business where I could mark up my product like that and still sell out, you better believe I would keep jacking up those prices.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    edited December 2011
    @georgebjones - I suspect that is exactly what they are doing.

The stores nearest my house are so wiped out. There is literally almost nothing on the shelves. As a result, the Walmarts and Targets are nearly as bad.

I think that they raise the prices to compensate for the 10% "rewards." I don't think prices will be going down until after those reward certs expire.

The funniest thing I noticed today... the Star Wars advent calendars that were $29.99 on "Clearance" are now back up to $39.99. Never in my life have I seen "clearance" prices increased, except at TRU.

Brent
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Deals do exist, but they key is stacking them. For example, in November at some point there were three deals: $10 off select sets (including the LEGO Harbor), $15 off a purchase of $100 or more, and buy one, get one 50% off. I was able to combine these deals and got the City Harbour and Forest Police Station for $104.99, compared to $169.99 retail.

Also be on the lookout for mislabeled shelf prices. They change prices around so much that employees often forget to remove the old, lower prices from the shelves. Despite probably having the worst customer service of any large retailer in the nation, they do honor the the old price if it's marked as such on the shelf.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
    ^Yes, TRU has some stacking deals, and they can be complex but good, but that is only when prices haven't gone insane, as they did at the end of November. And yet, as also mentioned, the shelves are cleaned out of LEGO. I went there a few times over the month and while in the aisle, if someone was looking at an older set I would tell them "they have that set right now at Target for just $xxx instead of $yyy." and they would say in various ways that they were not "driving all over town" to do their shopping. Target is less than a 1/2 mile away from TRU.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    ^you got it. The people who shop there don't know and don't care. I would say tru is solely to blame for people thinking Lego is expensive.
    @sonsofsceva - same here. I either told people where things were cheaper, or when a BOGO50 sale was starting, etc.

Yet, I watched people buy entire carts-full of LEGO at higher than RRP, without even using a Rewards R Us card... It was so sickening.

Brent
    ^you got it. The people who shop there don't know and don't care. I would say tru is solely to blame for people thinking Lego is expensive.
    LOL - LEGO *is* expensive, even at normal retail prices.

Brent
    I haven't bought a Lego set from TRU since 1987 and likely never will given the markups they use.
    TRU has been super inflating their prices around Christmas for the last few years so this is not really news to many of us. The onus is simply on the consumer to decide what they're willing to pay for a set. Heck, even Target has been selling sets higher than MSRP recently. I agree that raising prices just prior to Christmas is abhorrent and any markup higher than 10% is ridiculous.

But TRU is the last of a dying breed and we as a consumer are better off with them in the marketplace. There are always deals to be had for the discerning consumer and I for one will continue to funnel a majority of my LEGO funds through them.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    I got some of the new vehicle city sets through them in the last month when they had a BOGO 50%...worked out to be $15 per set before tax (25% off) which was the best discount I could find. One key is catching them when the sets first release before they implement the markups (if they don't mark them up immediately, that is).
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    I too can't stand to pay TRU upcharges, but I agree with Yellowcastle, we need to thank our lucky stars that TRU is still around and we should be giving them some amount of our money, TRU is the only toy store left out there and without it many of us would be screaming that it was gone.