Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Help with WM 10188 Death Star

ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
I've read on another thread that the 10188 DS was on sale at walmart.com this summer for $269. I've found a website return on the shelf at my local WM but they have it marked for $399.99! Does anyone out there in Bricksetland have proof (either a screen cap or some other printout) that shows that sale price? I'm hoping that if I talk to a manager I can get them to price match the sale price so they don't have that huge set taking up shelf space.

Any other advice on getting a good deal on the set would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,460
    Their online price is $358 right now (or it was earlier this week) you might be able to get at least that price. No idea how to retrieve the $269 price though
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would be willing to match the online price. I'm really hoping to get it around a $300 or less price point.

Also, I should point out that I want this for my own collection (not to resell), the box is a little beat up so I'm really hoping to play any angle I can to get a good deal.
  • TinKnockerHimesTinKnockerHimes Member Posts: 76
    The last time it was at that price was right before christmas, I caught wind of it a day too late, they were sold out and the price was back to normal :(
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    The box condition and online price are your best chance probably. Unfortunately they won't care about sale prices from the past unless it's within one week usually. I was able to get 20% off mine I got through Target because they put all SW stuff on sale a couple of days after I bought it.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    $269? What? Maybe $290.
    I'm just repeating what I read on the "Discontinuing sets" thread. Somewhere around page 194.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^^ SSD hit $269 through Target. DS hit about $289/292 at Walmart.
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    Getting a Death Star for $300 would be a dream!! Hoping WM has another sale like this before the set is gone.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,335
    ^Considering how long the set has been around already, I bet you'll have a very good shot at getting it for a bargain price eventually ;-)
    So maybe it would be more prudent to bide my time on this one and wait for a sale? Then I would be able to put the money toward the Imperial Flagship which is at the top of my list!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,335
    @Shpadoinkle, definitely.

Flagship has hit a snag in price increase right now, but should start climbing again soon. Snag that puppy now, and save yourself a few bucks down the road. Than go ahead and snap up the Death Star if it hits a sale again. Even if it doesn't, you'll have more than enough chances to buy it for RRP.

Although, I would be confident in saying that 10188 will go on sale again sometime soon.
  • kim43235kim43235 Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2013
    Since amazon has it for $360, you may get a chance to get one cheaper in warehouse deals. You need to keep monitoring them but you should be able to get it close to $300 for good condition (usually new in opened box with some damages). If you want MISB then this wouldn't help though.
    All this advice has been fantastic! Thanks everyone!
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    I can't imagine any store price-matching current stock against a sale price from last summer.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588

Their online price is $358 right now (or it was earlier this week) you might be able to get at least that price. No idea how to retrieve the $269 price though

Wal MArt is very picky about not price matching their website. What they would tell you to do is order it online and do site to store. (its what I had to do with a laptop I grabbed.)
    Apparently my sweet wife went to our local store yesterday to get me the set for valentines day (yeah, she's a keeper!) Turns out someone less discerning than I had already grabbed it! C'est la vie!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,460
    ^just casually point out the sale price online... :)
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    ^^ that's when you casually say.. " good thing they still sell it on the website " ;)
  • Sonic_RaptorSonic_Raptor Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, I think I posted that the DS was right at $270 at Walmart before Christmas. Have yet to see it at that price point again...
  • thecleatorthecleator Member Posts: 70
    I believe that Walmart sale was an amazing 3am deal that sold out fairly quick. No likely to ever be repeated
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    It was at Essex bargain hunt for $220 recently, it was part of a store opening event. There were apparently 2 and the other was $280.
    I got it!

While waiting for a prescription today my wife suggested we check out the clearance section. Same old full price MF, Gungan sub, and TIE Fighter, and there on the bottom shelf was the DS that had been floating from clearance section to Lego aisle. Marked down to $299.00! Couldn't be happier!
    JenniCurvedRoadPlateZoncrainboMathBuilder