Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How do you display minifigs?

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Thanks a lot guys! Had these done by professionals. My handiwork wouldn't be as pretty :)

@diggydoes the cards are held in place by clear plastic triangles at each corner. That way no damage possible from glue or adhesives.
    Diggydoes
  • sergiorfsergiorf Member Posts: 6
    Here is my LOTR minifig display ;)
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,362
    ^That's really neat. Are the bricks on a baseplate? Or glued?

• Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    @Brickdancer

Dude! Those Superhero's framed like that are brilliant. Damn, super cool!

Thanks for sharing your pictures, you have some awesome stuff.
  • sergiorfsergiorf Member Posts: 6
    @samiam391 No gluing! All bricks are on a baseplate. The brown and yellow ones on the "first level" and the tan ones to support the structure :)
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I have over 250 figures, I'm not good a DIY, is there anything like model car displays I can get cheaply?
  • xesfxesf Member Posts: 4
    Another attempt now displaying a full series 4. (not finished yet)

1 Black IKEA Olunda Frame (30x30x4.5 cm)
    1 Orange paper card (cut to fit 30x30 cm)
    15 Black lego plates 2x3
    1 White lego plates 2x3
    1 Black lego plate 1x2 (not in the picture yet)
    1 White lego plate 1x2 (not in the picture yet)

• samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,362
    @sergiorf- Phew... thank goodness no gluing.. gluing LEGO is a crime. Wonderful cases :)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,916
    @xesf Loving the displays you made. One question, how were you able to get the frames to hang on the wall with a 1x2 plate sticking out of the back? I did a measurement and it seems to go over the edge of the outer frame.
  • xesfxesf Member Posts: 4
    Good you like it.

It's not exactly 1x2 on the back, but its almost. A little bit of this 1x2 part is inside the back base which allows the pieces to be inside the frame. Take a look at the picture.

This one was a little more tricky than using the Ribba frame (Team GB version). The ribba frame back was thinner than this Olunda frame which makes the plates to be a little inside it. For this one is really important the hole for the plates be as thinner as possible (you have to force it to avoid glue), otherwise the pieces won't fit good in the end.

gifinim
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 582
    @Sherlockbones I don't know what you consider cheaply, but The Container Store sells a Multi-Level Display Box for $9.99, http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10022884, I have a few of these with 15-18 minifigs apiece, and they look great.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Display case of the future? http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/10/transview-transparent-display-cases/

A nice little Brickset info widget overlaid over the top perhaps ;-)
    Yodalicious
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214
    Anyone in Australia know where to get shadowbox type things? Like from spotlight or something? I am finding it incredibly difficult to find anything like everyone else here has in the U.S.
  • HemelHemel Member Posts: 36
    @mrtonytj Did you try Ikea? Ribba picture frame
  • JohnandHeatherJohnandHeather Member Posts: 1
    atkinsar said:

I suppose the first question should really be "Do you display minifigs?", and if so "How?". I'm talking about minifig only display here, i.e. not with sets. I will post some (inevitably poor) pictures of how I do it later on tonight when I'm back at home, but in the meantime, maybe you can get a head start and discuss how you do it (pictures would be great please!)

We have ours in these awesome glass door cases we got from Michael's craft store!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/397638_10151385063786063_480240798_n.jpg

We are rather chuffed with them :)

• JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    ^ And out of stock. :-)
  • mrtonytjmrtonytj Guest Posts: 214

atkinsar said:

I suppose the first question should really be "Do you display minifigs?", and if so "How?". I'm talking about minifig only display here, i.e. not with sets. I will post some (inevitably poor) pictures of how I do it later on tonight when I'm back at home, but in the meantime, maybe you can get a head start and discuss how you do it (pictures would be great please!)

We have ours in these awesome glass door cases we got from Michael's craft store!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/397638_10151385063786063_480240798_n.jpg

That is exactly what i want!!
    I've got a question for everyone in regards to their minifigs:

Do you display multiple versions of the same minfig? Even if the difference is very minor? I'm in the process of building my Ribba cases and haven't decided if i'm going to be displaying multiple versions of the same figure

examples:

Clone Trooper SW201 vs SW442 (new print on torso, helmet and different faces)
    Anakin Skywalker SW317 vs SW419 (different faces)
    Republic Trooper SW440 vs SW444 (different faces)
    Lord Vampyre MOF007 vs MOF013 (Cape vs no cape)

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited January 2013
    ^ Personally I wouldn't, unless I had enough variants of the same character to make a entire display case of it e.g. all the different variations of Luke Skywalker for example.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    I only just opened my display case up to change around the minifigs the other day so I could display the different versions next to each other. It does look good but really depends if you are keen to source out the different versions for your collection or they are in the cases just as a nice display piece. Either way they look great in the frames.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,582
    If you have a 3D display case, then it looks quite good to line multiple incarnations of the same figure up going backwards. I wouldn't bother with things like cape/no cape though - it just looks like you forgot the cape! I've done it for different torsos. It doesn't work if there are too may though (eg. Luke and Han) since you need a very deep case.
  • landolando Member Posts: 108
    Is there anybody that army builds eg: stormytroopers , scout troopers etc.
    As I might start building myself as Im limited to space was thinking of a display of stormys etc in a case, would be interested in seeing or hearing of anybody who does or done this !
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2013
    If your a bit of a handy person, you can make them your self assuming you can't find display cases cheap enough.

First thing to do is go to a chepo/$2 shop or one of the cheaper photo frame places that sell or the framed posters and find some cheap picture frames (or even a charity shop). Size wise there are common ones about 60x40 cm, you then can buy some lengths of pine timber some where around 30x12 mm. Use this to make a rectangle that the edges of the pictuer frame will sit over, add as many cross peices for shelves as needed. Get a couple of small hinges to mount together, you can also add a magnet latch. Use a sheet of 3mm MDF for a backing piece.

Paint to what ever colour you want. I haven't actually done it but have thought about it.
    Now that I have my Ribba frame finished, I've found out that a few minifigs won't fit in them.

These include all the Ninjago 'Snakes with tails' minifigs, TMNT Fishface and Dogpound and others..

Also, I found that displaying minifigs with accessories makes it look very busy! :(
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    For SW figures, I pointed all the lightsaber to the same direction so it looks nice and neat, and it doesn't look so busy.

Same as PoTC with swords, HP with wands!
  • AmikoAmiko Member Posts: 97
    I'm gathering as many of the Batman Automobilia magazines (1st edition at £2.99), removing all the batmobile gubbins inside the cases, replacing them with 2 10x10 hexagonal grey baseplates in each case and displaying the figures in there... Looks OK and it's cheap to do as a stopgap until I can figure out something more swish... if I ever do. There's juuust about enough room in each case to put a theme (at least with the amount of LEGO I buy). I've only got seven though, as I discovered their usefulness just after they were removed from local newsagents...
    CCC
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Going to have a bash at my first proper display this week, using an Ikea Ribba frame.

Anyone UK based got any tips on building mini shelves to go in it. Where I could likely pick up some decent little strips of wood?
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    @Beav Check out pages 4 and 5 of this thread and look for my posts, they should have all the info you need. Drop me a pm if you need anything clarifying.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    ^^ I just bought some strips of wood from B&Q the other day. Cost around £3 for a 2metre length.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Thanks a million @woony2, those pics are really helpful. Will let you know if I get stuck. :)
  • dustinmrobertsdustinmroberts Member Posts: 35
    Drmnez said:

Sorry if i posted in the wrong category but I figured I ask about my new display cases in this category since they are part of my collection.

I wanted to know if doing this is worth doing in you opinion. Cool? Is my avengers case worth using for other super heroes themes?

@Drmnez Did you have the cases for your NYCC & SDCC figs custom made, or did you purchase those somewhere?

• jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    @Deadareus bang up job! That is absolutely stellar!
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859

@Drmnez Did you have the cases for your NYCC & SDCC figs custom made, or did you purchase those somewhere?

I had them custom made.
  • jamiestjamiest englandMember Posts: 37
    Deadareus said:

Saw a ToroLUG members (Si-MOC?) environments for CMF series 8 and figured I'd give a try for Series 9. Here's what I've come up with so far...

Here's some similar vigs I've seen (not mine)
    I'm sure they won't mind the link?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecilihf/sets/72157624440241953/

UKtsumi
  • legoladlegolad Member Posts: 24
    Hi

Just started to collect the Minifigure series and what to display them well, would love to know how you all display yours. Love to see some photos.

• SuzerSuzer Member Posts: 3

atkinsar said:

Hello! I found the Michael's site but I didn't find this frame :( Any idea where I can found this display?

• GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    I've tried to do some searching, but can't see anyone posting anything about these: http://goo.gl/uMBDl, Link 99800760 Display Cabinet Acquario @ Amazon.co.uk

Anyone tried them?
    I think they could work well with some black spray paint. I have made a couple of Ikea Ribba frames, looks really good, but the figs are just too unaccessible in there.

@samiam391 & @brick_obsession: here's pics of the NYCC & SDCC Superheroes with the royal treatment. All framed with carefully chosen issues to match. Close-ups on my flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brickdancer/

Would you be willing to take a picture of the back so I could get an idea of how they're mounted? Thanks!

Would you be willing to take a picture of the back so I could get an idea of how they're mounted? Thanks!

Here you go @dustinmroberts. :)
    @Brickdancer, for your Landscape Minifigure frame, what is the spacing you used in between each shelf?
    edited March 2013

Here you go @dustinmroberts. :)
    Thanks. I was hoping to get a peek at how the comic and the figure card were mounted where so that it didn't mess up the corners. I'm looking to do something similar with mine, but I can't figure out how to get them mounted without messing them up.

Any advice would be great!

edited March 2013
    @hemel each shelf is an exact 24 inch long piece of wood. And compensating for the 1x4 brick wall on each side, the space between each CMF plate is exactly 0.1985 inches.

@dustinmroberts The clear plastic triangles at each corner are the part that's glued down on to the matting. Pretty much invisible at a distance.
  • wrangler6915wrangler6915 USA - Lincoln NEMember Posts: 514
    The minifigure display boxes that were on clearance for $5 work well...here is what 20 boxes looks like
    Here is the pic
    Shadow boxes from Michaels work well too...easy to custom build shelf inserts
    And of course basketball display shadow boxes are a must for displaying your green dragon army...