Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Display Stands for Ships and Flying Minifigures?

2»

Comments

• DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Finished the X-Wing and made another stand. Next up is the pursuing Tie Fighter.

• SpaceCakeSpaceCake Member Posts: 291
    Awesome!!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Another nice one @Deadareus. You're on a Display binge aren't you!
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,394
    Those are some nice stands. It'd be nice if there were some trans-clear technic out there. Maybe Lego should make some stand kits.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ Sounds like an idea for Cussoo.
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    Those are some nice stands. It'd be nice if there were some trans-clear technic out there. Maybe Lego should make some stand kits.
    The pieces form the Anakin and Selbulba's Podracers sets are out there, and you can pick them up from Bricklink, although they are obviously not that cheap. You can also give Lego Support a call and see if you can buy them over the phone, and they might be slightly cheaper there.
    ^^Another nice one @Deadareus. You're on a Display binge aren't you!
    Indeed I am. We just finished our final build from our family vacation purchases last month. It was our first time in a Lego store since I came out of my dark ages back in November. Needless to say we walked out with a couple of bag fulls.

Thankfully we have two Lego fan birthdays in our house over the next two weeks so the dry spell shouldn't last too long. ; )
    It'd be nice if there were some trans-clear technic out there. Maybe Lego should make some stand kits.
    I would love to see this come to fruition. Love the idea of trans-clear technic stands. The Pod Racer set is the bigger set the little guy is getting for his B-day next weekend.

Even the inclusion of very basic stands such as the Naboo Starfighter stand is a step in the right direction. They don't all have to be UCS quality.

I just love seeing these ships in the air rather than sitting on a shelf.

Here's the Tie Fighter. Took a little reinforcement to get this ship to bank with falling over or having the rocker plate separate from the pillar but it's pretty solid.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Another nice one @Deadareus! The TIE is indeed heavy, so good job making it steady and balanced on a small footprint.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    Been meaning to post my stands for a bit now, Very simplistic ones in smaller ships mostly. Working on a Technic based stand for the T-6 Jedi shuttle but not liked how anythings turned out thus far, need some more Technic parts I think. (Sorry for the bad pix, my Cell phone sucks and I am one of 3 people in the US without a Digital camera.)

The Black Bricks go a great job of blending into the black shelves (these are just the cheap 15$ DVD racks from Wal-Mart, the do a nice job bookending my TV.)

Jedi close up

Naboo fighter close up (old version, Much greater tilt)

Emp Pals Shuttle and Rep. Attack shuttle. Both look MUCH better displayed with wings out rather then in "Landed" mode. The B Wing in the background is one of my next stand projects. The Tri-Fighter is just balanced on an engine piece and radar dish. Works well.

Close up of Emps shuttle stand

Close up of the stands on my Tantive IV. Those are the same type I used on the republic attack shuttle. There is a Technic axle running through each stand for a little extra stability.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 942
    So I finally decided to open my OT Star Wars polybags. I bought a few bits and pieces from BL in order to make them better for display - my goodness, they make some difference. They are just different sets with a few small additions. I think they look great together too (click through for bigger sizes).

Imperial Shuttle

Mini Trench Run

Imperial Speeder Bike

I acquired a mini snowspeeder from the advent calendar. I don't think it works quite to scale, but I like it anyway :)

Mini AT-AT

And here they are in their natural environment:

The Dark Shelf
    Nice, the Star wars bases from the old minifig packs?
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 942
    Good question @pvancil27, I'm not entirely sure! I came across them randomly on BL and I'd never seen them before. I'd link to the listing but I'm on my phone right now.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,232
    ^^^ Those look awesome, would make great office desk displays!
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Great job @Steve_J_OM I must say :) The transparent stand looks amazing. Can you let me know the part number of that cool Star Wars base plate??
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Can some one provide me a part list on how to make a X Wings stand?

I cant seems to find the smaller parts expect the pillar and the base

Thanks
  • tvihtvih Member Posts: 92
    I should get some sort of stands for my old spaceships too... most importantly for Galactic Peacekeeper and Aerial Intruder. They're not in the best of shapes considering the heavy use they saw when I was a kid, but still display-worthy for sentimental reasons if nothing else :) Gotta buy up some appropriate parts at some point I reckon, probably not enough suitable black surplus parts to do it with existing stuff.
    Nice stands pvancil27!

@chanboy

Someone msg'd me for a bit of a breakdown of the tie fighter stand as well. I will take some detailed photos of each stand and get them up here soon. Sorry for the delay in response. My wife and I just recently welcomed our newest family member into the world two weeks ago so things have been pretty busy.

I'll try to get some pics up soon for you.

In short I'll say the majority of the stand is the base plates, pillars w/ a rocker (?) on top of each pillar. Everything else is just for asthetics. The rockers also have a 1x2 plate stopping the rocking portion from reaching it's maximum tilt as it was too great of an angle. You can see an example of this in the tie fighter image I posted above.

More to come when I get the chance.
    @Deadareus

No worries, thanks for your pictures anyway, I have not created a "not-bad" stand for my X-wing ;) which is quite nice except its abit bulky.!
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    @Deadareus

Congratulations!

How dusty do they get on standard shelves? I try to keep all my lego in glass display cases to reduce the dust, but that's just not feasible with the amount of lego I've recently acquired (since finding this site I might add).

Regards

Rich
    edited July 2012
    Thanks, And congrats on the new rug rat!

Tyosolo, I just use a swiffer duster and go over things once every week or two and it keep them prefectly clean. Hit them with an air compressor or canned air a few times a year to get the cracks and nooks cleaned. It's one of those prevent them from ever getting too dirty things.
    Thanks gang! It's a little girl so I'll see some friends sets infiltrating the collection here very soon. I'm surprised I haven't already gone out and bought some. ; )

@ TyoSolo, I too use the swiffer every week or two. I have yet to use a can of compressed air but will eventually. The dust level has increased dramatically with the warmer air and open windows here in the past couple of months. I try to stay on top of it.
    how does every one display their Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship??
  • ajhuddyajhuddy Member Posts: 10
    Here is my X-Wing stand + the ldd file. I took inspiration from the imperial shuttle's stand. Enjoy!
    How does everyone display their Quinjet #6869??
    Took a while but here are some requested close ups of the Tie stand. X wing stand built the same with spacing between the pillars and a rocker on each.

ChanMcL said:

How does everyone display their Quinjet #6869??

These are crappy pics but you get the idea. Similar stand as the X-Wing and Tie Fighter (pictured above). Took a little work finding the right place to attach beneath the Quinjet. I ended up putting a 2x2 brick on top of each rocker to get clearance between the stand and wheels and between the nose and the ground when the ship is in the descending position.

It's also not the sturdiest stand I've made. The Quinjet is pretty heavy in the tail section and in the nose as well. I really wanted it to look like it was in action as opposed just level flight so I balanced it as best I could to make it look like it was in action mode.

In one photo it's positioned as if it were 'descending' and in the other it is 'level'. It could also be placed in a 'climbing' position as well. The 'climbing' position ended up being my favourite but for some odd reason I do not have any pics. I JUST took this down and bagged it 2 days ago otherwise I would take more.

BrickDancerAmanda1983
    The quinjet looks great!

Here is mine anyway..

The front is using a support stand and the back is built up by using 1 x4s
  • beebee Member Posts: 33
    I'm trying to find parts and instructions on how to display mini figures flying and also other vehicles flying in my city mod. Can anyone help? Thanks!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,810
    edited April 2014
    Trans clear bricks (esp round) and bars are useful.

This part in trans clear is good for flying minifigs, as you can attach the studs to the back of the legs. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=99784
    Amanda1983
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    Though only some of the stands are clear, you should find some good suggestions in this thread: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/3997/display-stands-for-ships-and-flying-minifigures/
  • LaGriffeLaGriffe Member Posts: 9
    If you intend to use the larger trans clear round bricks with a large radar dish for a base, I'd suggest this technics piece at the bottom for strength. I always found the bricks are fine but would come off the radar dish, especially when moving the model around.
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6587
    I use mostly round black 2x2s with a technic axel in the middle for support.
  • jnsejnse SingaporeMember Posts: 2
    Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. Maybe reviving this thread too. Was racking my brains on how to build display stands too.

this is my first attempt. Any comments how to improve on it?
    GalactusJELJ1S
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Looks pretty nice to me! As long as it's solid and relatively unobtrusive, I don't know how much there is to improve! I might fix the stand to the Y-Wing as far back on the fuselage as possible, as that will stop the engine nacelle from 'dragging' on the table.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,938
    ^  Looks nearly perfect to me.

(Resurrecting old threads is the best.)
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 997
    I just use an upside down plastic champagne glass, lol
    kiki180703
  • jnsejnse SingaporeMember Posts: 2
    Looks pretty nice to me! As long as it's solid and relatively unobtrusive, I don't know how much there is to improve! I might fix the stand to the Y-Wing as far back on the fuselage as possible, as that will stop the engine nacelle from 'dragging' on the table.
    Thanks. I'll try that and see what I can do. Too bad the spare pieces I got aren't black. It'll look that much nicer. 
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    Pull off the landing gear, they are not needed in flight ;)
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 216
    edited August 2015
    Try Flightpose stands for larger planes and vehicles. They are pretty much the nicest and most unobtrusive stands I know of. 
    For smaller craft, one should look into getting Bandai Tamashii stands (available in several sizes, or 'stages', as they call them). They are meant for actionfigures, but work perfectly for smaller Lego craft (or flying Lego Superheroes!).
    Drmnez