Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Updating Information on Old Sets

Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 597
edited April 2011 in The Database
Since I've mostly completed adding all the sets I know I own to the list in my profile, I couldn't help but be a little disconcerted at some of the missing information. Many of you are no doubt familiar with this: "You own 427 sets (411 different) [insert your own numbers for my own, of course].... We have retail prices for 387 of them."

See the problem? I went through my list to find some of these sets lacking price data. One that I found was my beloved 6542 Launch & Load Seaport. I never got it as a child because I saw in the [email protected] catalog that it was US $110, and my parents certainly didn't have the means then to plop down that much money. I find it curious that Brickset is missing this piece of data. I wanted to update it myself, but there is no way of doing so, save the "Info" tab. And what I added never appeared for some reason or another. Obviously, I would be more than happy to provide proof of the set's MSRP, like a scan of the catalog page (I still have it at home), but I wish there was a way for members to help fill in the blanks here on Brickset's vast archive of Lego set knowledge so we don't have to look at data that doesn't truly reflect the collections we have amassed. Can a new, more quicker method be implemented in this regard, or why would it be a bad idea?

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,650
    ^ There is a method - send the info and proof to Huw and he'll add it to the database. I've done this more than a few times over the years (usually with photographs of sets prior to Huw and Ian's visit to the archives in Billund).

There have been times when I've wished that as a Brickset member I had write access to the database and could update it myself, a la Wikipedia. And then I remember how unreliable Wikipedia and its ilk can often be with respect to the accuracy and trustworthiness of the information contained within. I guess the lack of direct access to the database is the price we pay for being able to trust the information within.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 597
    OK, that's fair. I suppose it makes sense, too, that if I care enough to have an accurate listing of my collection online, I should do my best to dig up proof to assist its veracity. When I get home in May, I'll be sure to dig up that catalog and send a scan to Huw.
  • elazgarelazgar Member Posts: 31
    And what happen if there is an item which is not in the database? I inherited a LEGO watch which is not in any list in Brickset, as far as I´ve searched it. It is the LEGO Watch System launched in 1996.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Either Huw, Graham or myself can add sets and/or info to The Database. We do try to cross-check any info we're sent, to get independent verification where we can, but it's often not possible. Often Peeron, Bricklink, Lugnet & the 'yellow book' will have contradictory info about the same set (e.g. date of release, number of parts, etc.). Primary source information, direct from LEGO, is hard to come by; info in the old catalogues is often contradictory too ...

Use the contact form on the main site to let us know about missing & wrong data, and we'll try to do something about it. We tend to respond better to friendly emails than confrontational ones, which we get more often than we'd like :-(

Ian
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    @elazgar, keeping track of all the extended product lines is so difficult that we have decided not to. We'll add some 'gear' items, particularly those that are sold from LEGO.com, but we don't go out of our way to add others.

I posted something about this in the news a while ago: http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=1112
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    So from this discussion I just want to verify: Is sending email with supporting documentation the preferred method for having incomplete database entries updated?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    Yes please.

As bluemoose said, we're happy to add extra info, but I'm reluctant to open the database up to enable everyone to add things, like at Brickipedia: one because the site doesn't have the capability to hold 'old versions' of the data (essential for wikis) and two because we can hopefully maintain a high level of accuracy if it's done in a more controlled manner.

The 'info' tab on the set details pages as created to enable people to add missing info, which one of the admins would then pick up on and if appropriate add it to the main database. Unfortunately it's become a bit overrun with juveniles although there is still some useful stuff being posted.
    Totally understandable. I just wanted to make sure you were open to getting those sort of emails. As for the info tab, good idea but I think in practice it isn't really useful for the reasons mentioned.
    ... wanted to make sure you were open to getting those sort of emails...
    Yup, absolutely we are :-)
    As for the info tab, good idea but I think in practice it isn't really useful for the reasons mentioned.
    I agree. I was doing a little bit of pruning earlier. I might be better if it was easier for the Mods to edit, combine, split, munge, demunge, etc., the info to remove repetition & junk, but keep the good stuff.
  • DaveBeyDaveBey Member Posts: 46
    Which retail price is used? Some sets saw an increase in price from year-to-year in LEGO catalogs/brochures. I've posted some pricing information on the Info tab for some sets purchased in the 1990s but that was retail (Toys "R" Us, Target, etc.) pricing.

Cheers from Claremore, OK!
    Dave
    My understanding is that generally the database uses the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) , which is equivalent to the price offered by LEGO in the catalog and online. TRU tends to mark up the price beyond MSRP. For prices that change, I believe the range of prices is indicated, like $9.99-$14.99.
    The prices for newer sets have come direct from the LEGO Shop website; where the price changed during the run of the set, I suspect we list the final price (excluding 'offer' prices).
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    Another aspect of this, it seems like most of the 'sets' I own that are missing piece counts are collectible minifigures. It seems like this would be an easy fix, and not make my piece count look so scary ("you own 217 sets... we have piece counts for 129 of them). Out of the sets that I own, only 4 with missing counts aren't collectible minifigs.

Now that I'm looking at it, is that calculation broken (or at least poorly worded)? The number of sets I own includes duplicates, but the number of sets with piece counts isn't counting duplicates. Could you use the same formatting as above (217 sets, 174 different sets)?