Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO meets Scalextric

This has got to be every boy's dream...the meeting of LEGO building and slot-car racing. I've not seen it mentioned here before but Scalextric are launching a Demolition Derby set this year which won Editors Choice Award at London Toy Fair this week. It features cars which have a LEGO-compatible chassis and are designed to break apart on impact.

For builders though, it offers a chance to create vehicles we can race...how cool is that?

Si_UKNZ

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,741
    This looks ace! And I'm sure AFOLs will come up with much better looking vehicles than the current scalextric versions (that are awfully cheap plastic-y looking). I just hope the 'clutch' is good :D guffaw.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,362
    edited January 2013
    Hornby (through Airfix too) are getting heavily into lego clones. I noted it here too. Airplane models that look like old style airfix, but are actually lego clones.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/153726/#Comment_153726

Hornby used to be a great company. I remember solid well built trains of my childhood. But now they have really turned into something else. Some of their products are really crap. They are so cheaply made. I somehow doubt the quality of these.

I'm quite surprised a mod is posting threads about clone brands. After all, megabloks is compatible with lego yet their new toys don't get discussed here.
    Styer
  • MotxamMotxam Member Posts: 22
    CCC said:

I'm quite surprised a mod is posting threads about clone brands. After all, megabloks is compatible with lego yet their new toys don't get discussed here.

Personally I think that's slightly different, whereas MB produce generally similar products to what LEGO offer, here's a product which LEGO doesn't have anything similar to and the ability to use these car chassis with "proper" bricks is something appealing to me having kids, I for one would have easily missed this product so happy to have been pointed towards it and might give the Scalextric stuck in the loft a reason to come back down again :)
    andhe
    ^ Lego don't do halo, so that is not similar to a lego theme, so could be discussed here then?
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ Being argumentative much?
    It was posted (as you say) by a Mod, so clearly the people in charge of the site are happy, leave it be...
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    It was close call but personally I don't see Scalextric as a clone brand. They may be one day, but for now it was no more than an interesting opportunity to build LEGO vehicles on a Scalextric Chassis and race them.
    andhe
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,382
    Are we accepting it as coincidence that they are compatible ?
    Styer
    OK. Hornby through both scalextric and airfix are bringing out quite a few brick built models that are made to be compatible with Lego. Thus they are piggy-backing on lego's popularity, much like other clone brands.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,017
    edited January 2013
    The post is OK -- it's something of interest to normal LEGO fans, just like the discussions about rip-off Ninjago and the Star Wars/Ninjago hybrids, which are OK too.

Me????ks, on the other hand, are known to be shite regardless of the license and thus of no interest to anyone here.

While on the subject, I was appalled to see, in my local Argos, on the shelves with a large poster about £5 vouchers for £30 LEGO spends, a load of Me????ks, which might cause the unsuspecting buyer to think they are the same.
    edited January 2013
    ^ I think many shops now are mixing building toys together by theme rather than by brand.. While browsing SW lego last week I saw some really nice new metallic SW planets then realised they weren't lego when I picked them up. This mixing of the brands soon clouds peoples views.

Article headlines like the one above also don't help - they are highlighting that scalextric and lego can now be partnered, when in reality scalextric and any lego compatible brick can be partnered. But the title suggests some link between scalextric and lego, when there is no relationship between them. I wonder how lego feel having their name associated with a rival toy company. I know the article is not a press release by Hornby, presumably they will get sued if they use lego's name. But they must love it when industry writers tell everyone that scalextric sets are now compatible with lego (and not just other brand bricks). Again, this clouds people's views of what is lego and what isn't.

Maybe you should review a set. And you can judge the quality - my kids have had new scalextric sets relatively recently (~2 years) and they were significantly worse quality than the ones I had as a kid.

Looking at the pictures, the minifigs look awful. The same size as lego minifigs but just awful. But I guess the cars need drivers. The wheels, at least at the front, seem to be raised off the ground for all the cars. So presumably these are rear wheel drive, with the front wheels off the track doing a wheelie to reduce friction.

PS What side of the line is COBI / Character Building on? I assume on the wrong side and these are just a clone, although I've found their quality to be reasonable - at least for the minifigs in the Character Building range. Especially as they have some licenses the kids like (Dr Who, Scooby Doo), I often pull off their heads and attach them to lego minifigs.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    No, I have no interest in reviewing a set here. You know as well as I do that it would be off-topic, unwarranted and unwelcome here. You appear to be deliberately pushing the clone agenda when other contributors understand the point of my original post.
    edited January 2013
    I was actually interested in whether the quality is high enough for lego bricks to stick to the cars as they are driven round the track.

Given this statement ...

For builders though, it offers a chance to create vehicles we can race...how cool is that?

it would be nice to know if you can create and build cars that stay together when you race them (isn't that the point of the thread) or if they fall apart as soon as they are driven. Hence a review of whether you can might be useful.
  • legobigblokelegobigbloke UKMember Posts: 53
    ^Given the product isn't out yet and a quick internet search proves that - how can the OP answer that question? I don't think anyone at the toyfair would be happy for someone to take one product to the other to "check compatability"! I am pretty interested in this concept (as I expect many others are) and will report if it is a good lego compatible fit at the time the product is released. Patience dear boy!
    edited January 2013
    ^ Obviously it cannot be reviewed yet. The new SW sets cannot be reviewed yet, but reviews will come.

Which is why I said it would be good to have a review to know if the system actually works, or whether it only really works with small pieces like the doors provided. If you can get some brackets on the side to stick and take the weight, then I can imagine you can build a larger lego car around the chassis completely hiding it, yet still have it follow the track.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2013
    ^^^^^^ The front wheels look to me as if they'll just touch the road surface, although of course they are off the ground due to the guide blades. Just like normal scalextric cars. Almost all scalextric cars are real wheel drive too, some 4 wheel.

^ Looking at the red and purple chassis which are the right way up it seems clear that you could easily apply lots of lego blocks as the entire top is studded.

My concern would be the weight - you could build a nice car with lego, might look gorgeous (for a lego car) but I suspect it will move like a slow dog. I love lego and I love scalextric, sadly I suspect this is the next instalment of crap nonsence (hot on the heals of star wars scalextric sets that were too wide to pass each other and velodrome cycling sets) and no lego car would ever look as nice, or drive as nice as a decent scalextric car.
    ^ I forgot about the blade. Of course that is why they are up.

If it is just that you can pull the doors off of one car and stick them on another, it is not going to be too exciting.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    A few more points:

You can even replace the wheels (and they look like standard Lego wheel connections, but I can't be sure) and even the rear wheels by the look of it, but I'm not sure what that would do for traction?

Scalextric don't mention any kind of brick compatibility - at least not on their website nor the pictures of the box I've seen.

Given the idea of the set is that as the cars bump each other pieces/bricks fall off I doubt that the clutch power is very strong. They give the example of cars hitting side to side, but any good clutch power would mean the cars popping out of the slots before pieces falling off.
    edited January 2013
    Martin said:

You appear to be deliberately pushing the clone agenda when other contributors understand the point of my original post.

I don't really have a side on the clone agenda. I am perfectly happy to use clone parts where they are better than lego or lego don't make the part. I use clones from brickforge all the time as some of their weapons (eg the Roman pilum) are to me just better than lego's equivalent part. I also help the kids make minifigs out of clone parts from Cobi, if they want specific minifigs (eg the Scooby Doo gang and Dr Who characters, as mentioned above) which still fit in with their lego creations but look like the TV versions. I'm not really bothered at all by clones if others want to use them, so long as people know that what they are buying is not lego.

I agree that clone brands are not discussed in any depth here since it is a lego based site. But if some clone / compatible discussions are allowed, it just seems sensible to let people know if they work as intended. Clearly a formal review won't fit in the database as it is not a lego set. But that doesn't exclude an informal review of what it is like when combined with lego. If you can advertise that it exists here and that is on-topic, then I don't see what the problem is with telling people whether or not it actually works and why that would be off-topic, unwarranted and unwelcome here.
    Styer
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    ^sounds like a waste of time for 99% of the members here. Perhaps there is a cloneblocks.com site that reviews and discusses such sets. If not, there's your whitespace to grab some share of the brick building discussions on the web.

Personally, ill stick to Lego.
  • ravnutravnut South BrumMember Posts: 25
    I'm not a fan of clone brands but I am a fan of Scalextric!

I wasn't sure at first but I think this offers the opportunity to do something new and easily accessible with our Lego. Maybe Hornby should consider selling the cars seperately so a whole set purchase isn't required by those who wish to dabble.

Hopefully lego won't get the impression an in-house Lego race set would be a good idea as I think this will be a pretty niche product.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,521
    edited January 2013
    I know someone used HO scale track some time ago and basically motorized the Victory lap raceway (#6395) I think. They put the car bodies on HO scale chassis and ran them around a track
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    This is a great idea, I love both Lego and scalextrix. Think of the cars you could create
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Our LUG made cars which fit atop a 9V train motor. We let kids race them down a track at the annual Indy 500 Kids Fest.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157629735369048/

MatthewPhoneboothplasmodiumbeegeedeeandheSi_UKNZhleonffu
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    ^ That's a lot of tiles. I like
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ Yeah, we need more of those 8x16 tiles. :)