Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jabba the Hutt Under Siege

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,582
    Muslim's shouldn't have Christmas trees anyway.
    kezCapnRex101
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,996
    Don't forget that Boushh Leia was threatening the inhabitants with a thermal detonator, so the set has everything: Mosque, Pigman (lucky the rancor wasn't a muslim so it was ok to eat him), and Leia the suicide bomber.

It's not Lego who are racist, it has to ba Lucas, with his stereotyped/carcatured Japanese businessmen Trade Federation etc.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,007
    translation?
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited January 2013
    ^ It will make more sense when you read the article.
    Oh! I didn't notice there was an article with it, just thought the image was it.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    I read this a bit ago (on translator) http://www.hothbricks.com/2013/01/lego-attaque-en-justice-pour-incitation-a-la-haine/
    It did make me laugh a bit, wasn't the hagia Sofia originally a roman church before it was a mosque & a museum?
    TheBigLegoski
    Ridiculous story! Why is it that these extreme preachers demand we respect their ways but don't do the same in return? They should realise that although it does look a bit like the blue mosque in Istanbul, it looks a lot more like Jabba's palace (as it is supposed to). They called it Jabba's palace on Tattooine, not Ahkmeds house in
    Turkey/Morocco/Egypt. Next the same group will be saying that it's disrespectful for a supermarket open to all to be selling sausages and bacon.
    kezCapnRex101CommanderRaabTheBigLegoskiLegoZombiesLegoFanTexaschrisdojoOldfanRTO
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831

Next the same group will be saying that it's disrespectful for a supermarket open to all to be selling sausages and bacon.

If its from tesco in the UK the sausage and bacon may contain 30% horse meat so they'll be getting done by horse lovers :-)

• BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    Seriously? They look nothing alike. Muslims can burn flags of western nations but if lego mound shaped building is an insult to Muslims worldwide and should be outlawed.

Makes me sick that this was even recognized and presented to Lego.
    ^ neigh lad, that's just the beefburgers!
    kez
    The horse meat is probably better for you than most of the "beef". They should make those burgers for the French market.
    kez
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited January 2013
    I don't think threads like this do brickset any favours. There are nutjobs on all sides. And yet on all sides most people just want to get on and live their lives in peace.
    LostInTranslationkezforumreaderRedbullgivesuwindLegoFanTexasandhemadforLEGOTitus
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,362
    edited January 2013
    I know that no one here means any harm at all, however lets not begin to become even remotely racist ourselves.

If there is any discussion on the topic, I believe it should remain pertained to the article and LEGO, and not other topics that can easily branch off of it.

madforLEGOTitus
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,307
    That is incredible, I particularly like "shocking red and black devil’s scowl." I have nothing at all against Muslims, everyone is entitled to practise their own religion and believe what they want (as long as it does not harm others of course), but it is beyond me why Muslims in particular seem to be so confrontational, taking just about anything they can as an affront to their religious beliefs.

I imagine Lego can just about survive though without the 'enormous' Austrian Turk Lego market :P
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,822
    edited January 2013

I don't think threads like this do brickset any favours. There are nutjobs on all sides. And yet on all sides most people just want to get on and live their lives in peace.

It's difficult. I actually find the OP fascinating. It's the follow-up comments I find difficult to read. I care not for the views and comments on racism. Doesn't interest me in the slightest - this is a LEGO forum. I think the Brickset mods just need to keep a close eye on the thread to make sure the thread and its comments don't cross the line.

That said, I do however find the similarities between the two pictures remarkably similar. Will be interesting to see how or if LEGO respond.
    LostInTranslationmadforLEGO
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 528
    The really hilarious part is that these people are offend by a 30+ year old movie. Lego didn't dream this set up out of thin air. It based on scenes from ROTJ. It's George Lucas they should be mad at.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,431
    @kez
    Yes Hagia Sophia is or was actually originally an Orthodox Christian cathedral in Constantinople (now called Istanbul), formerly the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire, before the Ottomans invaded and conquered the city a thousand years later in the fifteenth century.

Btw.
    How Ironic that an ever rowdy non-negligible portion of the followers of 'the religion of peace' cries racism, when upon having studied this ideology, and more specifically the stricter reading and literal interpretation as practised by these coercive followers, one cannot conclude other then that, like all other mono theological ideologies based upon 'holy' scripture (and their practises and teachings) it is by and in nature of itself dividing, and divisive.
    While TLG on the contrary, is, and has always distanced itself, to my knowledge, from any and all of these polarizing factors such as racism and religion and any religious symbolism, that so often infringes upon humanity and societies.

I suppose that those who choose to be offended will always find cause to feel offended.
    *shrugs shoulders*
    kezmadforLEGO
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 643

They called it Jabba's palace on Tattooine, not Ahkmeds house in
    Turkey/Morocco/Egypt.

LOL nice

• icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509

...one cannot conclude other then that, like all other mono theological ideologies based upon 'holy' scripture (and their practises and teachings) it is by and in nature of itself dividing, and divisive.
    While TLG on the contrary, is, and has always distanced itself, to my knowledge, from any and all of these polarizing factors such as racism and religion and any religious symbolism, that so often infringes upon humanity and societies.

Please! Equalising the mono-theistic religions, generalising a billion or two people asuming that noone can be convinced without bullying others? Isn't that a bit narrowminded?

For the record LEGO had been founded and lead by a conservative Christian family for decades. On ebay you can find glow-in-the-dark plastic crosses with the LEGO logo on them.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,561
    I was going to make a a sensible comment,
    but there doesn't seem to be any point.
    Everyone should just grow up and play with Lego. :)
    YodaliciousthenosOldfanSchwallex
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited January 2013
    Agree that blaming Lego is silly, as obviously it is based on the movie from 30 years ago. If anyone has gripes it should be with George Lucas and especially about the Phantom Menace :P

It is an interesting similarity though, and I wonder if Hagia Sophia or the mosque Jami al-Kabir were the inspiration for it, think about the fact that Tunisia was where they filmed the Tatooine scenes. I would not be surprised if during the filming of Episode IV George Lucus an crew travelled to Turkey and surrounds at some point, as they are not far away. Plenty of inspirational architecture that would have been somewhat unworldly to those in the west, especially in the 70's.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,431
    Please! Equalising the mono-theistic religions, generalising a billion or two people asuming that noone can be convinced without bullying others? Isn't that a bit narrowminded?
    I did not state, nor suggest, that the three so called 'modern monotheistic religions' (Judaism, Christianity, Mohammedanism) are equal. Moreover there are plenty of arguments to advocate that the last mentioned ideology is not even a 'true' religion in comparison to the former two (even though it copied many ideas, convictions, as well as some practices from Judaism as well as Christianity). Although such a discussion, I estimate, far exceeds the scope of this Lego forum.
    However all three mono theological ideologies are based upon scripture deemed holy by the respective organized religious / ideological institutions, and all those subjects which show a high degree of devotion to any of these doctrines. These scriptures are not only central to the practices and teachings, but are regarded as absolute in their authority by their preachers and devoted followers, thus they are by nature imposed upon not only those who believe them but when not withstood also unto those who not believe them and/or think differently. Thus they are all by nature intolerant, an ever lurking threat, and potentially hostile to other ideologies, beliefs, and philosophies that do conform to their dogmatic tenets, especially in less open societies where secular values, rule of law, separation between church and state have not been established, do not prevail, and or have not gained a foothold.
    I don't think there to be anything narrow minded about stating the obvious: the actual nature of organized religion as it manifests itself, how it corrupts and poisons minds, keeps people spiritually and emotionally chained, small and fearful, holds back progress, has a tradition of trying to stall scientific advancement, and how its attempts to exerts its influence upon society, both upon as well as beyond its subjects.
    Moreoever, nowhere do I NOT distinguish between doctrine and people. I can not stress enough that there are plenty of people of different creed which in spite of the faith with which they have been raised (and in which they had no choice), as well as those in total absence of it are warm, gentle, courteous and civilized Between rigid decreed code of imposed conduct as dictated by many strands of religion, and actual real life behaviour of people, there exists fortunately often a huge gap.

LEGO's founding father Ole Kirk Christiansen may have been a conservative Christian, and TLG may very well have produced Lego crucifixes (I was not aware of this), to my knowledge many years ago TLG established a policy where they do not include any religious symbols. TLG did not have a problem producing Harry Potter Lego, something that was an affront to conservative Christians, who were afraid that magic and witchcraft would affect their children and stop them from becoming 'good Christians'.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,362
    ...And this is where the thread falls apart.

Take @Venunder 's advice, have a quick break, and build some LEGO :-)

If you would like to continue discussing religion and such anyway, please take it to PM.
    Titus
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,188
    This is how you know that humanity is doomed. We have morons like that living amongst us.

^To clarify my comment, morons as in the geniuses protesting the Jabba set lol

@samiam391 is that clear Sam? lol ;)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,435
    ^You may need to speak slower. @samiam391 is a little slow ;)
    edited January 2013
    ^haha love u Sam @samiam391

-From your loving apprentice lol
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    edited January 2013
    I don't find the similarities striking at all. It's just similar general architectural shapes, nothing more. Both buildings have a dome, and that's it. There's nothing minaret-like in the tower of the Jabba set so the only similarity I can see there is that both are towers. It's almost like claiming that one building is copying the other because both have doors.

What I find weird is not that someone came up with this idiotic claim but that an organization actually got behind it and found the claims legitimate. Way to make your community a laughing stock...:s
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    There are conservative Christians who claim Harry Potter is anti-Christian and "encouraging witchcraft". Conservative religion, regardless of what they call their deities, is based on ignorance, fear and backwardness. It's not reflective of all members of any religion as there many, perhaps no where near as many as there are conservatives but still many, religious people of every faith who use their religion for constructive purposes.

That said, whether it's Star Wars, Harry Potter, gay marriage or evolution, conservative religion will always try to play the victim because they believe that their ideology is under attack. It is under attack: by reality, the ever-increasing knowledge of mankind and the ever-constant fact that change is inevitable.
    RedbullgivesuwindcheshirecatLegoFanTexasTheBigLegoskimadforLEGOy2joshemilewski
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    prof1515 said:

There are conservative Christians who claim Harry Potter is anti-Christian and "encouraging witchcraft". Conservative religion, regardless of what they call their deities, is based on ignorance, fear and backwardness. It's not reflective of all members of any religion as there many, perhaps no where near as many as there are conservatives but still many, religious people of every faith who use their religion for constructive purposes.

That said, whether it's Star Wars, Harry Potter, gay marriage or evolution, conservative religion will always try to play the victim because they believe that their ideology is under attack. It is under attack: by reality, the ever-increasing knowledge of mankind and the ever-constant fact that change is inevitable.

^ This, times 10!!!
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    The domes are a completely different colour and shape, the towers are completely different size/shape, nothing to argue here.
    Seems like a made up story to create some sensationalism and create unrest.
  • bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 711
    All this nonsense gave me an idea for a new Architecture set but then a quick google search revealed that someone had similar idea before

Seems like a made up story to create some sensationalism and create unrest.
    Whatever the truth it's free advertisement for LEGO
    TheBigLegoskiicey117
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^After the awful Sydney Opera House at least that's something TLG could do well.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Actually these days the Hagia Sophia is a secular site. It is a state controlled museum and it highlights the entire history of the building including both its role as a church and as a mosque. No religious services are held there now though.

More importantly, I actually suspect the article is a load of made up crap. Can anyone verify the news source? There's something off about Austrian Independent News and Pictures, but I can't quite place it.
    icey117plasmodiumRedbullgivesuwind
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    This is Mickey Mouse's problem now..
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,391
    The story made page 3 of today's Daily Telegraph!
    No publicity is bad publicity...
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,391
    Also, the Lego publicity officer...

Roar Rude Tranqbaek

What an awesome name!
    plasmodium

The story made page 3 of today's Daily Telegraph!
    No publicity is bad publicity...

The downside is that Jabba's Palace is unlikely to need to be discounted again if sales go up.

• OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 662
    I wonder if anyone knows how many tickets were sold in Austria for Return of the Jedi back in the day...and how many protests were held at the movie theaters during its run...

OK, I'm off to build me some LEGO, maybe even my new #9516.
    RomanticWarrior
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,917
    edited January 2013
    According to this Turkish website. The whole thing has been misquoted, As far as Google translate says they complained more about the use of weapons in it. They do point out that it is a replication of the mosque but also point out that it looks like a lot of other religious buildings. But feel that Jabba in the film and his friends are charactures of Asians. Even so they seem very keen to distance themselves from the statement.

http://www.turkischegemeinde.at/index.php?id=287
    http://www.turkischegemeinde.at/index.php?id=312
  • AmikoAmiko Member Posts: 97
    Now THAT'S offensive... LEGO calling a 'Gammorean Guard' a 'Gamorreanic Guard'

I fully expect other fanboys to complain, possibly even on religious grounds! :-)

hehehehehe
    plasmodium
    Amkio: At least they didn't say "Legos" - some people here would have been most offended.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Let's not start the Legos being an appropriate plural debate again.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 671
    If anyone's offended by that set, where were they 30 years ago when the movie came out?
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    They are just jealous because even the worst Turkish prisons don't have a Rancor pit...
  • bogeymanukbogeymanuk Member Posts: 30
    There are lots of angry people in the world and there are those with loud voices shouting that your problems are caused by this and that, its foreign people stealing your jobs, its the liberal elite, its lego mocking our religion. Someone without any knowledge of what he was looking at complained to a religious group, who then didn't think to investigate what he said instead they shouted ban this heretical toy. Its just a general lack of engaging brain cells before shouting from the rooftops that's the problem. I wouldn't say lego is racist because they copied a star wars design which was certainly itself copied from real world buildings, I'd say star wars is more racist because 99% of their minifigs are white but thats another debate! In other words its a storm in a teacup and unless some fanatical group starts burning down toys r us stores I dont think this story has legs beyond forums like this.

I'd say star wars is more racist because 99% of their minifigs are white but thats another debate!

No, most are yellow. Inventing statistics like that doesn't help.

Even if you stick to more recent licensed theme sets with no yellow heads, then lego should produce relatively realistic minifigs, otherwise they will not sell. If a character in a film is white, then the minifig should also be white, just as Jabba's Palace should look as close as possible to the one in SW, within the constraints of the piece count. Most characters in films that lego has licenses for are white, hence most minifigs in licensed themes are white. Who would want, for example, a Gandalf with a brown head? It is not realistic to the film. It is not racist, it is reflecting racial distributions in the films it owns licenses for.

For example, Nick Fury is white in comic books, yet in the movies he is black. Thus lego make him with a brown head, as they are making sets of the film.
  • bogeymanukbogeymanuk Member Posts: 30
    Maybe I should have added sarc tags to my 99% comment! Of course they should have minifigs that represent the licensed subjects indeed a black gandalf would look wrong, maybe I'm the one being racist assuming the yellow minifigs are supposed to represent white people, I just assumed that from when I was a kid.
    ^ Yellow figures are not meant to represent any particular race. They are lego men in lego world.
    pharmjod