Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Toy Fair 2013 news

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,322

according to Huw, there is one in each box, which is slighty easier then 8 worldwide

Yes, only slightly... ;-)
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Buy ALL the packets
    ( meme fans will get this)
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 741
    edited January 2013
    ^ In that case they will be a chrome fig.

Good news for box buyers then.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,259
    edited January 2013
    If the price for the Sail Barge is really that high, that hopefully that means the prelim pic was just that, and perhaps some new elements being used for the front of the hull were still in development. We will get plenty of chances to buy it on sale, the main thing we all want is for it to not suck. With that pricing, it probably will look better than the prelim version. (fingers crossed)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,858
    I think the idea of golden figures isn't much of a problem, but then I've never been a completionist with the CMFs. I get figs based on their appeal to me, whether that be in terms of their overall designs or the usefulness of their parts. And if I miss out on a fig, I get over it.

Looking forward to more news regarding the Hero Factory sets and Chima constraction sets, but unfortunately I doubt we'll get any more until pictures start showing up, whether from leaked catalogs or New York Toy Fair. Constraction doesn't seem to be well-loved by the average AFOL, and it's hard for people who don't collect Hero Factory and similar themes to really comment on the advantages and disadvantages of particular sets (i.e. such-and-such part in a new color, a new bone piece that could be used for different types of building, etc). Meanwhile, Hero Factory fans have already been somewhat spoiled by seeing some of the summer characters in trailers for the upcoming Hero Factory Brain Attack webisodes, so I guess we're not in such bad shape.

No new Ninjago, unfortunately, but that does make me optimistic that the early 2013 lineup might be on store shelves for longer than usual.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited January 2013
    I don't collect the CMF series, but the addition of rare, one per box figures sounds terrible if you are a collector. I use to collect customizable card games and hated tracking down those rares (especially the one per case rares). Very smart business move for Lego.
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    I don't collect CMFs, but the treasure hunter in me thinks it sounds like fun.

Santa Jango Fett will be interesting - probably a red Mandalorian suit.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    The coast guard sets are orange and white! Any chance that there are some medium sized or larger orange plates in the coast guard sets? I've been wanting a good number of orange plates (6X6, 6X10, etc), but they are few and far between these days... even on bricklink.
    tk79
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,938
    I think that £99.99 pricepoint for Jabba's barge is a clear indication that the crappy prelim pic for the set is the real deal. It's £20 less than Jabba's palace, and look at the size of that (Jabba's beach hut). I don't think we'll get anything comparable to the original at that RRP.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,460
    Zon said:

Santa Jango Fett will be interesting - probably a red Mandalorian suit.

Based on Yoda and Maul, it will be more Santa-like, with his head.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I really really hope they are not pack searchable.

Making a unique winning ticket/minifigure pack searchable is plain awful in anybody's book. I have zero issue with resellers and pack searchers, but in this instance it would just kill the hope for most kids, often without them knowing, and whilst the odd AFOL might benefit, let's face it, they would all end up on ebay for big money.
    edited January 2013
    ^ I agree, they should not be possible to identify without opening the packet.

Although if kids get them, they might play with them :-o . What a dilemma....
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2013
    If you are lucky and get all 10 by buying 10 sealed boxes, you just spent what? $1200 for the complete set? I predict these might go for AT LEAST $250+ each. You would then need to sell off all of the rest of the minifigs in the box to cover your losses. Insane.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    and so enters the practices of the late 1980's baseball card market. Time to completely step away from CMF series. If history repeats itself, now in brick form, the "one rare per box" indicates the apex point.
    madforLEGOLURKERnumber2149
    thornie said:

If you are lucky and get all 10 by buying 10 sealed boxes, you just spent what? $1200 for the complete set? I predict these might go for AT LEAST $250+ each. You would then need to sell off all of the rest of the minifigs in the box to cover your losses. Insane.

I think $250+ is a very, very drastic number to venture a guess with..

madforLEGO
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    Are there going to be any pictures posted from this toy fair? Tons of sets mentioned, very intrigued and hoping to see some pictures.
    @Bustin- They don't really allow pictures until either Nurnemberg, the 31st of January (I believe), or the New York Toy Fair, which starts the 10th of February.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    samiam391 said:

@Bustin- They don't really allow pictures until either Nurnemberg, the 31st of January (I believe), or the New York Toy Fair, which starts the 10th of February.

Are you saying nobody is sneaking in a camera or micro video camera, pen camera, keychain fob camera, glasses camera, etc?

• ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    samiam391 said:

mrtonytj said:

Also, on the CMF S10 i see that as being there will be 16 regular to collect but then there will be a "special" set of 8 so everyone who collects will no longer be able to just "feel" whats in the bag.. Smart move by Lego.

if it is really 8 figures total through out the world then you are going to have people ripping bags open outright to find them.
    Which, it would seem, is what LEGO wants. More bags open equals more profit for LEGO.

I never been a fan of CMF collecting, but it's a darn right shame if this ruins the fun of it all for everyone else.
    Actually with open bags, that brings up a point i forgot to mention. The rare thing could lead to more people opening bags in stores. It's already a problem for some stores(exact problem is a YMMV Scenerio) and the rare factor could increase this.

edited January 2013
    pteric said:

samiam391 said:

Are you saying nobody is sneaking in a camera or micro video camera, pen camera, keychain fob camera, glasses camera, etc?

Come now... These are all LEGO collectors. Of course.... not..

T_Lars
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ They're waiting for the minifig cam to be invented.
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts in the USA.Member Posts: 494
    No Monsters, Inc?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,936

No Monsters, Inc?

From reading other reports there seems to be 'Planes' related Duplo sets (the sequel to Cars) and 'Jake and the neverland pirates' themed Duplo sets.

krklint said:

and so enters the practices of the late 1980's baseball card market. Time to completely step away from CMF series.

I see no reason to step away. If you collect the minifigs, you can keep collecting the regular sets no problem. If you collect only specific ones, but armies of them (like me), still no problem. The only problem is if you feel you need them all including the exclusive hidden minifigs.

With people buying and opening them, it might even make them cheaper to get hold of on the secondary market, if people really are just buying them to find the elusive ones and then need to dump them. The only reason it could go pear shaped is if people open them instore and dump them, losing parts. But that is easy to overcome, just keep them by the tills.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ Unless peoples interest in CMFs is some kind of investment or resale.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    My local lego retailer, has promised me a flick through of the new catalogue on Friday. provided he can get ot london on thursday. :) I should be able to take pics.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    http://www.madeformums.com/mums-and-dads/toy-fair-2013-best-new-toys-revealed/25816-9.html

Found this not sure if its a first sighting (city is not my strongsuit)
  • AmikoAmiko Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013
    ^ Cor - that looks nice! I can see me being a bit of an idiot and buying a few too many of 'em for my town.
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    #8403 The house has already been released. The Lion Chi temple looks interesting though.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,619
    That's not the city starter set...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    ^Yes, the city starter set ate vehicles. That was the townhouse a year ago or so. It came and left very quickly.
    Geddes said:

http://www.madeformums.com/mums-and-dads/toy-fair-2013-best-new-toys-revealed/25816-9.html

Found this not sure if its a first sighting (city is not my strongsuit)

They also reckon the Airfix QUICKBUILD will do well. The airfix lego clone. What is the point of airfix if you don't have to glue it and paint it.

• AmikoAmiko Member Posts: 97
    Hehehehe! Turns out I've already been a bit of an idiot craving a set that's been, gone and costs over a hundred quid on ebay...
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited January 2013
    samiam391 said:

thornie said:

I think $250+ is a very, very drastic number to venture a guess with..

Beyond drastic. At one per box, these will be plentiful. Think of it - one Wal-Mart probably goes through 150+ minifig boxes. And that's just one Wal*Mart. Throw in Target, Toys "R" Us, The LEGO Store, Fred Meyer, Walgreen's and smaller retailers. Not difficult to get a hold of.

I say $15-$25/each.

kylejohnson11
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^^ Nah, the idiot is the person who posted it on the "Made for Mums" site without checking their facts...
    Pitfall69
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    samiam391 said:

Did anyone else see the exclusive Jango Fett and have their heart skip a beat?

You know that Jango is going to have a Santa suit if it is part of the advent calendar ;-)

samiam391 said:

Did anyone else see the exclusive Jango Fett and have their heart skip a beat?

You know that Jango is going to have a Santa suit if it is part of the advent calendar ;-)

@Brick_Obsession- There's another Jango Fett though, that isn't completely ruined by a comic Santa suit coming out soon! I'm quite excited.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,904
    150 minifig cases / walmart is an overestimation by far. My local one had maybe 5-10 all Christmas if that. Some stores never got them. Sure there will be quite a few cases out there but not THAT many
    I think..... until we receive more information about which minifigures will be chrome, how many will be included in each box, whether they will be a unique or series 10 figure, how many will be in existence.... etc..

Too many variables are out of place to even begin to make an even close estimate of what price these figures will go for.. so I think we should all save our breath!
    Pitfall69
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    ^Very true. Slap some lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig. Dip an unappealing minfig in chrome and..well...you get a shiny unappealing minifig.
    Zon
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,936
    So that's not one per box I'm guessing.

Sounds like garbage if you askme. I'm not interested in 'chase' figures, just ones that I actually like. Though would be interesting to see where they end up (assuming people use the code).

Thanks for the info.
  • shannon26shannon26 Member Posts: 24
    So that would technically make them twice as rare as the "gold" c3po since there where 10,000 of them released.

And that's if all 5,000 are identical also?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,858
    This is nothing new for TLG, to be perfectly honest. In 2003, the Bohrok-Kal series in the BIONICLE theme had some rare collectibles included at random as well-- specifically, 5000 white metal Krana-Kal (mask/brain pieces) and 72 sterling silver Krana-Kal. These were sets costing $8 apiece, mind you, not tiny little blind-packaged "impulse buy" sets. And people have already brought up the LEGO Star Wars gold C-3PO. In all honesty, what makes this any different than those-- besides, of course, the fact that it is not made of any kind of precious metal as far as we know? I can't think of any but the most devoted/obsessive completionist that considers any of these "chase" items essential to a "complete collection".
  • seonadancingseonadancing Member Posts: 92
    I'm guess maybe the golden minifig in the pack is made of plastic to ensure that it cannot be distinguished from the others. Then when you enter the code on the website, that's when Lego sends you the real golden one.
  • ZacheranoZacherano Member Posts: 59
    Wow. I suppose this means that these "gold" CMFs will be considered extremely desirable and valuable by a select few, and the rest of us won't even bother. This does seem much like a reprisal of the gold-plated C-3POs, but there were 10,000 of those in larger sets where you got something else as well.
    ^ You get a minifigure in the packet, which is what you are buying.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

I'm guess maybe the golden minifig in the pack is made of plastic to ensure that it cannot be distinguished from the others. Then when you enter the code on the website, that's when Lego sends you the real golden one.

Is there some reason they couldn't just put them in the pack? As long as the weight of a chromed minifigure isn't significantly different than a normal minifigure, I don't see why not.

Or are you suggesting these will be made of gold? If that were the case, it would be in LEGO's best interest to specify that.

Real golden one? I can assure you that this item is not made of pure, solid gold.

It's a chrome figure. Perhaps there is a regular series 10 figure in there, with a card of some sort with the code, and than LEGO sends you the chrome figure..

But that would be the only way your theory would remain viable.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,496
    So far all it says is a golden minifigure. It could just be pearl gold for all we know.
    pharmjodMathBuilderPitfall69Legogeek