Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Clone Brands

Comments

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    Haven't made my R2-D2 yet. What sort of mistake is it?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    edited July 2012

If you get a Lego set that is missing parts, or has damage, TLG takes right quick care of it. Call them up, they say "no problem, we'll fix that for you, very sorry for the trouble"

If you have that problem with KREO, I highly doubt Hasbro is going to treat you the same way.

Actually I ordered a few extra missiles and shooting bricks for Bumblebee just for the fun of it and they sent them free. This reminds me to order another door for Megatron (it broke, pretty flimsy connecting part) and another sticker sheet (they are much more papery and hence easy to tear than Lego's decals, which means no repositioning!). I expect Hasbro knows what they are up against and are prepared to offer similar services for missing, broken, or (in my case) extra parts. I can tell you that although the Megatron truck looks and feels sturdy a little bit of pressure in the wrong spot will crack it in half, sometimes thirds. Big damper on the playability.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    edited July 2012

Haven't made my R2-D2 yet. What sort of mistake is it?

You would ask me now... No big deal, but there are a few pages where a competed section is missing for three pages, then shows back up again. Saw this on the Technic Logging Truck as well, something you,do a few pages back disappears, then shows up again. If you aren't looking for it, you might miss it, and it doesn't affect the build, but I find it annoying.
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 211
    I had no problem with replacement instructions for my Sopwith Camel. Replacements came within two working days.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    coachie said:

Anyone care to translate this set name? Military toy tractor?

Dunno, but something really unfortunate is going on between that fig's legs.

For a few moments there I thought it was female and that was crazy white hair... now realise it is the cutout on the box!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    BTW, Google Translate tells me the name of the set is "China Series: Battlefield cart". Well, every battlefield needs a cart I guess. And having 3 wheels must be a perfect stabiliser in rough terrain.
    Andor
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I've also received a $10 e-gift card from LEGO for my delayed $9 PAB order. LEGO takes customer service to a whole new level.
    Andor
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    I have a bag of bricks from a company called Star (Star on each lug) that are an absolute dead ringer for Lego, exact parts, exact colours, very hard to tell the difference, very scary!
    Has anybody else come across this company?
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    I have seen it in the BJ's Wholesale here in Pittsfield, MA.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Just to add to the conversation...

I have built a few of the K-REO Transformers line, they are better than Megablok, but still not up to Lego standard.

What's missing? It isn't the plastic quality, they actually aren't bad. Not 100% Lego quality, but miles and miles ahead of Megablok.

The real problem is the building instructions and building techniques are terrible. Building the vehicle mode of Megatron, if you press down in the center of the truck, it snaps in half, there is no support. It is just a stack of bricks with little thought to playability.

We tried Megablok, once... That stuff is junk... This wasn't years and years ago either, this was about 6 months ago. Yes, you can get a tub of 1,000 bricks for $20, that is a steal compared to Lego, but there is a reason for it, the bricks are just junk. Cheap plastic, some are hard to snap together, others just fall apart, and you can see the different from Lego from 5 feet away, when you put them in your hands, it is obvious.

K-REO, less so, but the building process and model quality are terrible.

People don't appreciate the time and effort that TLG goes through to make quality models. They don't hit it out of the park on every one, but most of the time they are really good.
    Andor
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71

K-REO, less so, but the building process and model quality are terrible.

I've found the clutch power doesn't last too well either.
    i've had parts fall off my kre-o sets.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,242
    Megablocks has World of Warcraft sets out!

http://blog.megabloks.com/posts/tag/worldofwarcraft/

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for my wallet) I don't find them really appealing, even as a WoW fan. Except maybe Deathwing's Stormwind Assault. The Deathwing looks pretty cool...

Andor
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    Saw HERO factory knock-offs already as well...
    I saw another clone Ninjago brand for the booster packs. I was wondering why the original packaging declares that none of the components are made in China, yet they get to produce them there? Is someone sneaking out the moulds?
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Hi All

I wondered what the opinion was on the new wave of lego-like products was, for example this

http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/christmas-presents/click-brick-220-piece-police-station-contruction-set/5051187000289-a

Which was deemed to be put in the Lego section of The Works

When I first had a tub of Lego, there were Tyco Superblocks, which although they said they were compatable with lego, you could tell the cheap nasty plastic a mile off.

However it seems that nowadays the products are a little more lego like, got someone at work a Click Brick tractor for £3.99 from The Entertainer, and to be honest I thought it was an alright little set, quite like lego

Anyone got any thoughts or seen some really dodgy Lego knock offs worth posting.

I got the Lego Space Shuttle Adventure for Christmas but would have been disapointed to receive this Nanoblock equivalent

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nanoblock-Nbh014-Space-Center-White/dp/B00436G1M8/ref=sr_1_5?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1357845852&sr=1-5

R

• collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    They are all crap! The end!

kylejohnson11MasterLegodrdavewatford
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,901
    Cheap knocks offs says it all.
    kylejohnson11MasterLego
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Surely everyone ended with a knock off set at some point, there was always the odd Tyco Superblock in my lego crate. Even our baby has some Mega Blocks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,896
    edited January 2013
    The Works don't sell Lego. They sell Lego books, and cheap clones as sets. I have never seen real Lego sets in there.

My son got a Click Brick set for Christmas - from someone that knows he likes Lego. He built it and wasn't impressed. Bits fall off easily and the figures that come with it are crap quality. It'll go to the charity shop on our next visit.
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    edited January 2013
    Brickset.com was launched in 1997 and since then has become the premier LEGO database on the Internet.

not bothered about knock off's....
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    @kempo81, don't you remember this? http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=2891 (Just kidding...fortunately)
    To be honest, the only advantage the others have is that their a bit cheaper. Lego is (as far as I know) the best quality and, let's face it, the original.
    MasterLegoSherlockbonesAndor
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    @plasmodium haha yes i do, there have been some good ones! especially liked the UCS Falcon re-release! all those resellers in a rage - priceless!!

as @collect_that said - thay are all crap, the end!! ;o)
    plasmodium
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    My son (two years old) got a knock-off fire truck as an early Christmas gift from a relative. It's branded as a Discovery channel toy, but after doing a bit of research, it seems to be a re-branded Best-Lock set.

In general, the quality isn't even worth comparing to LEGO. The plastic is harder and doesn't have the slight flex that LEGO does, making it difficult to connect bricks. Many bricks have excess plastic left from the molds, which gets in the way and just looks bad. The tolerances are horrible compared to LEGO. One part of the build required a 1x8 brick on top of a larger plate, and the studs/holes over that distance didn't match well, making it very difficult to get the brick to connect. There are also some parts which simply don't work at all. A couple headlight bricks were used to create a SNOT front bumper, but the connection is so tight, the bumper falls off if you apply even the slightest force to it. There are a couple hinge plates, and the mold of one is so bad it doesn't work as a hinge and just falls apart if you try to use the hinge action. There is another hinge piece used for the ladder, and it's so tight, the ladder can't be raised without pulling off the entire assembly.

The design of the set wasn't bad, though it was relatively simple and used the bare minimum of parts necessary. The instructions were okay but quite condensed compared to modern LEGO.
  • MasterLegoMasterLego Banned Posts: 38
    When I was six (oh how long ago that was), I got a Mega Blocks fighter plane and the Lego V-wing fighter as gifts. I built them both at the same time. I like the Lego and hated the Mega Block set (trust me, it looked bad). I put the Mega Block plane in a card board box and "lost" it. Whoops. I have not seen it since (yeah).
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    My 4-year-old son has gotten some K'Nex, Mega Blocks and Kre-O as gifts (most of my friends know his love of Lego, but can't discern between brick toys). I hate it, but he's usually stoked at any new toy, so we open and build it together. I don;t think he's able to actually process which is better between Lego and other brands, but the results are the most telling: he doesn't touch the other brick toys after they're built and hardly even acknowledges their existence.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 647

[Translation: I don't think about them]
    MasterLego
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411

@kempo81, don't you remember this? http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=2891 (Just kidding...fortunately)
    To be honest, the only advantage the others have is that their a bit cheaper. Lego is (as far as I know) the best quality and, let's face it, the original.

I love how alot of people believed him XD

I hate M*** B****, when I was younger I was given some LEGO with MB, the bricks and figures were so terrible, I made sure to kill them slowly and painfully
    MasterLego
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    My son got a MB Power Rangers set for his birthday last year. It was the worst thing I've ever built! The instruction were horrible and incorrect. The plastic was very cheap. Not impressed at all.
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    I seem to find a new clone product almost monthly. The Five Below retailer in the US now carries a new clone with 200 part sets for 5$.

Target in my area has combined all Lego type toys in one aisle with Lego marketing throughout the entire aisle. Parents have no idea they are purchasing fakes.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,035
    @Bustin Yeah, and it doesn't help that MB makes their tubs look exactly like LEGO's tubs! I was at Wal-Mart the other day and I was shocked to see that MB uses the exact same tubs for their loose bricks as LEGO. The pink box and the blue box looks exactly the same as LEGO's! The only difference is the label. As they were all on one shelf mixed up it would be not surprizing if someone picks up the MB one by accident. Or,... as many people think... MB is made by LEGO!...)c:
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 647
    ^ and ^^: I wonder if MB is paying the stores to group everything together like that. I also understand that Walmart sometimes has their suppliers do the actual work of stocking the shelves, so the clone brands might be doing all the mixing themselves...you never know!
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    roxio said:

Character options have their range of (compatible) construction toys for Dr Who and military themes. They are quite good quality. The deluxe tardis is excellent. And all 11 Doctors in a lovely display box - beautiful, imagine if they were lego figures.....

I got the little TARDIS for Christmas and was very happy with it. It went together well and has plenty of clutch. I disliked their stickers even more than I dislike LEGO's. I also don't particularly care for their figures, but that's an aesthetic gripe, not a quality gripe. The blocks were great.

When you mention the deluxe TARDIS are you talking about the big control room set?
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    edited January 2013
    Sorry. Double posted.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Oldfan said:

^ and ^^: I wonder if MB is paying the stores to group everything together like that. I also understand that Walmart sometimes has their suppliers do the actual work of stocking the shelves, so the clone brands might be doing all the mixing themselves...you never know!

Reminds me of a time I was in TRU about a year ago - shortly after the Friends launch. There was a huge LEGO Friends-themed endcap (had Friends logoing all over the actual shelving unit). of course, all the Friends sets had been absolutely picked clean - sold out completely. the store had filled up the end cap with Playmobile sets.

funny thing was is that the LEGO rep was right there at the same time. I said something like "oh I bet you love that!" she shook her head and smiled knowingly and said something about talking to the manager

• cvgrecocvgreco Member Posts: 1
    I want to build something related to WWII and because TLG doesn´t use the military theme (I couldn't buy the 7595 - a Toy Story set) I've tried a Kre-o set, one with military minifigs. I was impressed, they seemed very good to me. The minifigs seem a little strange for someone that is accostumed with LEGO minifigs, but their arms and legs rotates not only in one direction. The build seems sturdy, and they have some interesting new pieces. I haven't tried yet the compatibility with LEGO pieces.
    Styer
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,963
    CCC said:

The Works don't sell Lego. They sell Lego books, and cheap clones as sets. I have never seen real Lego sets in there.

They occasionally sell LEGO CMFs (think it was series 5 I saw in there just after Christmas).
    edited January 2013
    I know there is a separate thread discussing clone brands, but I was just infuriated with these pictures that was shared with us at our local fb group.
    I'm collecting SW minifgs when I can, and I thought it was a safe haven since they haven't been cloned. Until now:
    BUYERS BEWARE!
  • zjygkmattzjygkmatt Member Posts: 75
    So they are mixing Ninjago with Star Wars...

The smaller sets come with more minifigs than the larger boxes, and they all seem to have R3-D5..

Is this junk sold online only, from someone trying to scam money. Or do these somehow appear in stores. You kind of have to be an idiot to fall for this. Really pathetic seeing someone wanting to take advantage of people this way.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    @Orthobotrex Where did you see these?
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Those are the most awesome things I've ever seen. I must have some for my collection!!!
    FurrysaurusVortex
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,896
    zjygkmatt said:

You kind of have to be an idiot to fall for this.

I agree if it is in a box, with no lego logo on it. But what if someone parts out a set and sells the minifigs. Would you know before you buy? Would you know once you have bought?

It's interesting that they don't put the lego logo on the box, but think nothing of using the star wars logo.
    @greekmick: it was shown to us by an online member of our group and they are supposed to be available at local shops here in the Philippines. I think that does not bode well for minifig sellers based in east Asia so I am saddened as well. I mean, just like what CCC said, what if there are scammers out there out to dupe army builders with these &*$#%%@ fakes?
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,429
    I'm against them BUT for all of those stormtrooper collectors, it may make things alot easier for them with these knockoffs.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited January 2013
    This type of work has been going on for over a year and the clone products are getting better & better. First it was the brick sets that were their own ugly designs, mostly military tanks and jets. Then it was the brick sets that looked like Lego classics like the Sante Fe train. Then the minifigs came with those Ninjago copies with similar packaging. And then now this. Its just going to get worse. Fake goods are cancerous to any industry and should not be supported in any shape or form.

Why isn't TLG able to sue them all into oblivion?
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Not to seem like I'm mocking the understandable and well-deserved outrage these knock-offs are causing, but am I the only one who first looked at the title of this thread and thought it merely referred to the ubiquitous Clone Wars sets? ;-)
    plasmodiumGurooo
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Fake goods are cancerous to any industry and should not be supported in any shape or form.

There is a difference between fake and clone brand, though. The sets in this thread are using LEGO box styles in an attempt to look like actual LEGO sets. There are other, legit brands that are "compatible" with LEGO but use their own branding.

Why isn't TLG able to sue them all into oblivion?

LEGO has sued and, in some cases, won. But their patent on the general studded brick design has expired, so there will likely always be some competitor with basic, "compatible" bricks.
  • AmikoAmiko Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013
    "Begun, the Clone War has..."

Oh come on! It was only a matter of time before some idiot posted the Yoda quote. :-p
    CapnRex101plasmodiumVortexyys4uAndor
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited January 2013
    Amiko said:

"Begun, the Clone War has..."

Oh come on! It was only a matter of time before some idiot posted the Yoda quote. :-p

Interesting choice of words... did you beat them to it, or just...? :oP
    LOL
    Andor
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,336

I know there is a separate thread discussing clone brands, but I was just infuriated with these pictures that was shared with us at our local fb group.
    I'm collecting SW minifgs when I can, and I thought it was a safe haven since they haven't been cloned. Until now:

Strange, I don't remember stormtroopers and clone troopers carrying around golden axes and spears... One of the jedi is even holding what looks to be a pitchfork.

Star Wars meets Ninjago?

Sorry, clone brands, you're going to have to do better than this...